Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Those who don't pay their tithes shall end up in hell

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
No,I won't spend an eternity with a Trump supporting,Zorro loving,guy named Rhollo.

However,if he supported Hillary that might change.lol
What?
You want me to pay tithes to Hillary?
Givers give, singers sing, stingy people point out the wickedness of others.

Sure people sin. They don't do things right. But somebody else's sin should not change how God made my heart brand new. Wise as serpents but gentle as doves.
I think you are going a little overboard here John.
Saying, :"stingy people point out the wickedness of others" is pointing fingers at people who have responded to this thread.
This forum is a place to discuss and not point fingers.
I actually find this to be one of the better tithing threads, considering we do about 20 of them a year around here.
All through my time here on the forum, there has always been people to say those who oppose tithing just don't want to part with their money.
And since I don't tithe, there is nothing further from the truth in that statement.
I get personally offended when someone speaks of me that way without knowing me.
I stopped giving checks at church in 1999.
No one knows how much I give the local church except me and God and my wife.
No one knows how much I give to God in other areas except me and God and my wife.
And since my wife and I often don't keep track of numbers, even we don't always know how much we give.
But we are happy givers and have learned to become debt free and be satisfied with what we have to live on.
Tithing is not Christian, and I will debate it forever.

We are going to miss you :)
It is time to take you to Sunday School.
Quit eating that candy and pay attention.
Tithing heaven is debtor's heaven.
You will always owe a tithe and will always be required to pay and you will always have to work to achieve that.
My non-tithing heaven is a debt-free heaven.
Jesus pays for my room and board and charges no fees.
We may cross paths from time to time but you will be too busy working to pay your tithe to stop and talk and smell the roses with me.
I ask you, sincerely today, to join us in debt free heaven.
Jesus loves you that much.

Perhaps Tithing may not be the problem: the problem and challenge may be giving to the church for the work of the Lord.

I won't be surprised if those who don't support Tithing also have webbed fingers when it comes to giving offerings.

Who do we give to? Some have asked. The Bible addresses this. At least there is something similar to the question the scriptures record

Perhaps Tithing may not be the problem: the problem and challenge may be giving to the church for the work of the Lord.

I won't be surprised if those who don't support Tithing also have webbed fingers when it comes to giving offerings.

Who do we give to? Some have asked. The Bible addresses this. At least there is something similar to the question the scriptures record
Please tell us where in the Bible does it tell us to give offerings.
I see in Hebrews we are to give God the offering of praise.
And Paul tells us to give the sacrifice of love.
Where else is sacrifice or offerings in the Bible?

Classik, you can not make a statement like "I won't be surprised if those who don't support Tithing also have webbed fingers when it comes to giving offerings." Who are you to judge any person on how, why or even where they give as giving comes from the heart, not from what man tells them to give. Tithing was never meant to be money, but was 10% of all your goods to be given to the storehouse to take care of the needs of others including the priests (Pastors) of the Temple (Church) so they could be about Gods business of teaching the word of God and not having to seek outside employment. Who do we five to? Answer is found in Matthew 25:34-40.

BTW, some of us do not even attend a public church, but are faithful in our giving to those who have not.

2 Corinthians 9:7
Proverbs 3:9-10
Mark 12:41-44
Matthew 6:31-33

Luke 6:38
Malachi 3:8-12 - Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
Hebrews 13:15
Matthew 6:19-21
Luke 16:10
Luke 11:13
Luke 21:1-4 - And he looked up, and saw the rich men casting their gifts into the treasury...

Acts 20:35 - I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.
Romans 12:1
Luke 12:33-34
Matthew 25:14-26

Classik, you can not make a statement like "I won't be surprised if those who don't support Tithing also have webbed fingers when it comes to giving offerings." Who are you to judge any person on how, why or even where they give as giving comes from the heart, not from what man tells them to give. Tithing was never meant to be money, but was 10% of all your goods to be given to the storehouse to take care of the needs of others including the priests (Pastors) of the Temple (Church) so they could be about Gods business of teaching the word of God and not having to seek outside employment. Who do we five to? Answer is found in Matthew 25:34-40.

BTW, some of us do not even attend a public church, but are faithful in our giving to those who have not.
Not my point. My point is, general giving to church welfare or whatever is never considered by some to be necessary as all forms of giving may imply merely exploiting the givers.

Not my point. My point is, general giving to church welfare or whatever is never considered by some to be necessary as all forms of giving may imply merely exploiting the givers.
This is sad but true.
I see the demand for tithes as corruption.

I have never heard a preacher preach that and I don't know anyone who does that.
You must not watch TV ministries. Some of them have got every scam going that you could possibly think of.

There are churches that make prospective members sign a contract making a vow to give 10% of their gross income to the church. If they don't they can be a guest but not a member, which of coarse means that they and their children don't get the full benefits of what the church has to offer or if their child has a gift, such as music, they cannot be in the youth music ministry, or they cannot partake in all the youth group fun events. The TV ministries have taught them well.

No one has an excuse not to obey God and give from their abundance, there are too many ways to give and places to give to, even if one does not go to church.
My oldest gives to St. Jude's Children's Hospital, because they take care of all children whether their parents can pay of not, especially children with cancer. No parent ever gets a bill from St. Jude's.
One can pay attention to special church drives that are going on at the churches in their community. We donated enough money, to a church that was replacing the Very old windows, that leaked out the heat in the winter, to replace one window.
Water wells in Africa, medical supplies to orphanages in third world countries, the list goes on and on.

Oh, by the way, Rabbis make upwards to $163,000.00 a year and they DON'T TITHE!
From what I have read on Jewish sites...
They lease :), as Jason put it, their seats in the synagague in order to support the maintenance of their church and maybe to pay the Rabbi too, not sure about that.
Then they are encouraged to give at least 10% but not more than 20% to whatever charities they choose, including their own sons' religious education.

From what I have read on Jewish sites...
They lease :), as Jason put it, their seats in the synagague in order to support the maintenance of their church and maybe to pay the Rabbi too, not sure about that.
Then they are encouraged to give at least 10% but not more than 20% to whatever charities they choose, including their own sons' religious education.
That is only one way.
Jews are very creative in providing ways to make money.

My wife and I give (I won't use the word tithe) a monthly percentage of our income to the church in order to maintain its running. In fact my wife benefits from it. She is employed by the church and heads up the youth work for ages 0-11. She is paid a pittance. Reality is she could earn 5 times more in a secular job. Not saying that to look good but it is our reality. Even though she does not earn what she could I look at it in a sense that income foregone is also part of our giving. So we have agreed to give a certain amount each month to help towards the running costs. Our church finances are very transparent and we have a board of trustees to oversee how income is spent. So leaders have no final say on how it's spent.

We also give to a few charities monthly and we seek God to reveal who we should help out. Interesting thing is it seems that God has laid the same people on our hearts and what to give and it's not always money.

We don't feel an obligation to give to the running of the church but feel it's the correct thing to do for us as a couple.

If we ever felt that church funds were being misused we would stop giving.

We give to God what we feel he has asked us to give after prayerful consideration and not giving what people in the past have told us we should giving (got my fingers burnt once and will never allow it to happen again)

Give as God asks you

Last edited:
What?

Saying, :"stingy people point out the wickedness of others" is pointing fingers at people who have responded to this thread.
I actually find this to be one of the better tithing threads, considering we do about 20 of them a year around here.
All through my time here on the forum, there has always been people to say those who oppose tithing just don't want to part with their money.
And since I don't tithe, there is nothing further from the truth in that statement.
I get personally offended when someone speaks of me that way without knowing me.
No one knows how much I give to God in other areas except me and God and my wife.
And since my wife and I often don't keep track of numbers, even we don't always know how much we give.
But we are happy givers and have learned to become debt free and be satisfied with what we have to live on.
Yes,tithe to Hillary, lol

What?

I wasn't trying to point fingers.
Brow beat...
Finger wagg

A lot of churches here in America are exceedingly well off...and yet they still discover "needs" that they must desperately find donors for. Paul and Moses both told the people that they had enough and to stop giving. Have yet to hear an American preacher ever say that.

And I have also seen those that raise vast sums on behalf of honorable charities but keep 90℅ or better for their own pocket.

But these things don't stop someone who truly desires to give from giving. There are wolves among the sheep, tares amongst the wheat, and bad fish in the net with good fish.

We must be wise as the days are evil.
There are many ways to get the money you wish to give to those who need it.

But where giving is important to the recipient it is more important to the giver. It's one of the more difficult things to get a firm grip on for the believer.

And when you are a recipient...it's tough to accept when you are used to giving.
But there's work to be done...so I accept when I must. And giving others an opportunity to share in work by giving is only fair and reasonable.

Please tell us where in the Bible does it tell us to give offerings.
I see in Hebrews we are to give God the offering of praise.
And Paul tells us to give the sacrifice of love.
Where else is sacrifice or offerings in the Bible?

I could be wrong, but I think Classik answered the request for where the bible says to give offerings. It looks like a decent list which's effort shouldn't be ignored.

2 Corinthians 9:7
Proverbs 3:9-10
Mark 12:41-44
Matthew 6:31-33
Luke 6:38
Malachi 3:8-12
- Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
Hebrews 13:15
Matthew 6:19-21
Luke 16:10
Luke 11:13
Luke 21:1-4
- And he looked up, and saw the rich men casting their gifts into the treasury...

Acts 20:35 - I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.
Romans 12:1
Luke 12:33-34
Matthew 25:14-26

I could be wrong, but I think Classik answered the request for where the bible says to give offerings. It looks like a decent list which's effort shouldn't be ignored.
Hi, those are all beautiful verses.
I especially liked Romans 12:1 because I missed it, we should give our bodies to God as living sacrifices.
That says don't use your body for illicit sex.
But none of the verses address the offerings that God requires in the Bible.
None of these verses use the word offering(s)
Reading and understanding a biblical offering is a levitical Law that is no longer under affect to anyone today.
Without Levites, a Temple, being a Jew, and living in Israel, there can be no biblical offerings.
Therefore, if the Christian Gentile church asks their people for offerings and call it money, they are lying to the congregation.

Last edited:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back