Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study "Thou Shalt Not Murder" analysis

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
You don't always have to know all the answers. The Lord will provide them when necessary. Remember Christianity is a religion of the heart, not of the mind. If you have a heart for the people, they will overlook the fact that you can't answer every question.
Yes, but we must remember Christ's command: Love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength. That means that it's important to not have a 'blind' faith. I agree you can't answer every question, but we must do our best to have an answer "for the faith that is in you."

Yes, but we must remember Christ's command: Love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength. That means that it's important to not have a 'blind' faith. I agree you can't answer every question, but we must do our best to have an answer "for the faith that is in you."
That scripture does not mean that you need to know everything about Jesus and the Bible, it means that you love the Lord with all your whole being. Yes it is important to have knowledge and if you truly love the Lord you will want to know as much about Him as possible, but you are not going to convince anyone that will not be convinced even if you have all the answers. Unless the Holy Spirit is dealing with their hearts, you can't convince anyone. "An though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, buy have not love, I am nothing." 1 Corinthians 13:3

Last edited:
That isn't quite a flaw in the written text.

What I am getting at is the KJV flawed in that it isn't the preserved word of God? I would say if it got one of the ten commandments wrong in meaning that is a fundamental flaw. How do we account for this if true? Should it be discarded?
In the situation you've described the flaw exists in the reader. Another reader, who examines the context within the translated bible to illuminate that one ambiguous word 'kill', could come to a conclusion about the meaning of 'kill' that is different. As long as one possible meaning is actually correct, then God's word has been preserved (in the KJV or any other translation) regardless the deficiencies of the reader.

In the situation you've described the flaw exists in the reader. Another reader, who examines the context within the translated bible to illuminate that one ambiguous word 'kill', could come to a conclusion about the meaning of 'kill' that is different. As long as one possible meaning is actually correct, then God's word has been preserved (in the KJV or any other translation) regardless the deficiencies of the reader.
. The context is not to do it. If murder was meant then kill is a flaw.

Meaning of words change over years... change is not always a flaw...

Seek and ye shall find.... we tend to look for what we want, or think we want, til we find it...

Meaning of words change over years... change is not always a flaw...

Seek and ye shall find.... we tend to look for what we want, or think we want, til we find it...

Murder and kill haven't changed. I agree we do tend to find what we want. So let's examine.

If the KJV is flawed or not. Maybe we should stop using it and go to one that isn't flawed. Unless of course kill is the correct word.

What I am saying is both can't be correct. One version is flawed.

As we are flawed , not one to claim the KJV is perfect. Although it is my favorite.

As you have pointed out Toss claims it must be perfect and without error. That is what we must believe

The KJV is a translation of the Word of God .. The KJV has been revised more then once.

Think i understand Toss... our terms of service ToS.... sorry i didn't get it..

As you have pointed out Toss claims it must be perfect and without error. That is what we must believe

No where in the ToS is this claim made.

The KJV is a translation of the Word of God .. The KJV has been revised more then once.

Think i understand Toss... our terms of service ToS.... sorry i didn't get it..

No where in the ToS is this claim made.

Ah The KJV is a translation of a translation. They didn't use the originals to translate as far as I know as the originals are lost.

As far as ToS I will have to retract as I reread it, and it does say The original autographs were with out error. Whatever those might be. As far as KJV goes ToS doesn't state that it is not riddled with error or that any modern bible isn't riddled with error.

So if we know the KJV or it's competing version has at least one fundamental error how do we proceed?

We proceed in Faith .

To your other points i can not answer. Sadly i do not have enough knowledge of the history of the Scriptures.

We proceed in Faith .

To your other points i can not answer. Sadly i do not have enough knowledge of the history of the Scriptures.

Seems that since we have no honest idea what is true, and what is not we are just making it up. I am just being as honest as I can.

You may not have a idea of what is true.... I know Truth . Jesus is the Truth ... He is my Lord and Saviour.

You may not have a idea of what is true.... I know Truth . Jesus is the Truth ... He is my Lord and Saviour.

OK, but unless we know what he said and did how can we obey? Seems all our accounts are filled with error.

I mean I get it people seem to be scared to have an honest conversation. Everything is bible quotes and cryptic sentences. Is everyone afraid of God or some person here?

I am not afraid of God... but i will be respectful ... If you choose not to believe what the scriptures say that is your choice. I have heard Bible quotes all my life i dont see them as cryptic just normal to me.. ( Dad was a Preacher)

I am not afraid of God... but i will be respectful ... If you choose not to believe what the scriptures say that is your choice. I have heard Bible quotes all my life i dont see them as cryptic just normal to me.. ( Dad was a Preacher)

I am not disrespecting God by thing to determine whether it is thou shall not kill or thou shall not murder. The difference in meaning between the two is quite large.

They can't both be correct. Which is correct? Which is flawed.

what is flawed is our understanding I believe that was posted by some one else ....

Having stated in many ways and forms you do not believe the Scriptures why do you call your self a Christian? I ask becasue most the questions you ask are answered in our relationship with Him?

what is flawed is our understanding I believe that was posted by some one else ....

Having stated in many ways and forms you do not believe the Scriptures why do you call your self a Christian? I ask becasue most the questions you ask are answered in our relationship with Him?

I understand quite well that thou shall not murder, and thou shall not kill mean two very different things.

I do believe. I believe in the moral of the story. Not the literal of the story, because quite frankly the moral of the story is the only thing we have as the specifics seem to be lost. The moral of the story is the only thing that matters anyway. I don't take it literally. How can no one agrees even on what the 10 commandments are?

That someone can say to me well murder and kill don't disagree. I mean really Reba. One means don't kill with out cause to kill. The other means don't kill for any reason whatsoever. That is a big difference morally. Don't you think? How can anyone claim understanding if they don't know what even the basics of Christian morality are? Saying the questions are answered by the relationship. Does anyone here then have a relationship? If so what's the answer?

Is it murder or kill. I lean towards kill myself, but I admit I could be wrong. I think people can't go with out killing, and justifying their failure, by just changing the bible to say what they wanted to hear. Oh I know let's change it to murder so war and killing in self defense are OK. Abortion isn't defined as murder is it ok under these books?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back