Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Thoughts on a Poem

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Ed the Ned

I in a moment of pressure ( I was shy and ready to please anyone) gave my life to Christ at the age of 12 at a youth camp. I then at the age of 16 became a quiet rebel. I obeyed my parents but enjoyed the parties and drank etc. When I joined the army at the age of 18 and served in the South African Airforce during apartheid. I had a rage against God, and wrote a lot of poetry. English was my worst subject at school but I enjoyed reading and writing Poetry. I shared with no one. My life with Christ is a lot closer now but read this poem I wrote at 19 years of age and comment if you wish.

If, in darkness, I be holy content,
and my soul reluctant to repent,
And I, a being, my thoughts resent:
Then He who death knoweth,
Thorn to the seeds he soweth;

Need I fight in knowing despair,
As spirit from body doth tear,
And judgement my soul relieve,
And to Him I silently decieve;
If, in darkness, I be holy content.

Please note this poem has been in a box for the last 20 years and I am trying to make sense of how I was thinking during that period of my life. I found about 25 poems I had written.

I in a moment of pressure ( I was shy and ready to please anyone) gave my life to Christ at the age of 12 at a youth camp. I then at the age of 16 became a quiet rebel. I obeyed my parents but enjoyed the parties and drank etc. When I joined the army at the age of 18 and served in the South African Airforce during apartheid. I had a rage against God, and wrote a lot of poetry. English was my worst subject at school but I enjoyed reading and writing Poetry. I shared with no one. My life with Christ is a lot closer now but read this poem I wrote at 19 years of age and comment if you wish.

If, in darkness, I be holy content,
and my soul reluctant to repent,
And I, a being, my thoughts resent:
Then He who death knoweth,
Thorn to the seeds he soweth;

Need I fight in knowing despair,
As spirit from body doth tear,
And judgement my soul relieve,
And to Him I silently decieve;
If, in darkness, I be holy content.

Please note this poem has been in a box for the last 20 years and I am trying to make sense of how I was thinking during that period of my life. I found about 25 poems I had written.

Greetings Ed!

In the first place I would like to say that your poem is beautifully written, it is to the point, understandable, and within only a few lines, a reader can detect disapointment, anger, betrayal, and (and definitely like you mentioned in your opening paragraph) defiance. I thought the poem also had a tinge of doomed, despairing and grief. Then again, maybe I am reading way to much into it. Short of it is, I liked the poem; my favorite line was the opening "If, in darkness, I be holy content," That was an attention catcher right there! An excellent piece; especially for someone whose english was his worst subject :) I think you are a very gifted writer! I'd definitely read more of your stuff.

Lee

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back