Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Tim Tebo & Public Criticism

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Mike

I'd put this in "Sports", but I think this is more of a comment on society. In sports and entertainment, there's a lot you can do, but being honest with your faith is risky. Tim Tebo is not at all an "in your face" Christian who condemns others. When he broke out as Florida's star quarterback, the story of his faith was widely reported. Now that he's the starting QB for the Denver Broncos, many are hoping he fails, and his name has become the punch line fore jokes.

A recent phenomenon is "doing the Tebo" where people post pictures of themselves on one knee with their head bowed down, hand on the forehead. Pretty sad comment on society, indeed.

The question of whether the Tim Tebow craze could get any more ridiculous has been answered. Move over planking, because Tebowing is sweeping the nation.

Here is an exercise in silliness. What do you do when you need a moment to pray? Do you shuffle off and find a quiet corner? Do you merely begin praying as you stand?

The answer is no to all of these. At least, if you want to be awesome like Tim Tebow. The Denver Broncos quarterback loves to take a knee multiple times a day.

Tebow's love for taking a knee has created quite a stir. As you will see, folks across the nation are being struck down by the sheer gravity that is Tim Tebow.

Sure, he is one of the worst quarterbacks in the NFL. Granted he overthrows more receivers than Rex Grossman and John Beck combined, but his arms are huge and his heart is even bigger.

Have you ever seen a real winner. Well, then you have seen Tim Tebow, because he is the only true one left in this world.

Follow along as we turn the silliness of Tebowmania up to 11. Why? Well, because that is one more than 10, and Tebow is always one notch better than the rest of us.

I may have bad knees but I will be damned if I don't get my daily allotted regimen of Tebowing in. So make like Tebow and take a knee in reverence. The best part is that you can do it anywhere.

Tebowing is not for the weak of heart. You will be looked at. You will be noticed. But as soon as the crowd sees you are Tebowing, you will be applauded. Here are the best images of fans Tebowing.

Re: Tim Tebow & Public Criticism

There are so many Christian football players... I think those who mock are only showing ignorance when doing so. It merely displays the all too often common acting out of people who have yet to learn manners about not making fun of anyone. :shrug

August:
John 3:16 was the number one hit on Google this morning according to ESPN. Why?
Tim Tebow story on ESPN
A must listen interview with parents of first ever Sophmore Heisman trophy winner!!!

None of us is perfect. Seems the world continues to try and make it that way. No, we aren't perfect... we're just forgiven! :biggrin

It makes an easy route to follow though, when you speak out for Christ and others want to only see your flaws, for you see then you can always share how that then they can find God as well!

But I truly think it goes deeper than that. For you see, Tim Tebow has been quite vocal about how he was almost aborted. People can't argue against your own experience (which is why a personal testimony is so important to develop in how to tell it.) Pro abortionists can't argue fairly, so they have to do an end run around the issue and attack the person, imo.

Was Almost Aborted-"'Because of her strong Christian faith, she chose life.' If doctors had had their way, Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow wouldn't be here today.
Pam Tebow, mother of the Florida Gators quarterback, was given drugs to counter amoebic dysentery she had contracted as a missionary in the Philippines. “They were telling her that these drugs were going to cause irreversible damage, that he was going to have devastating disabilities," said J.T. Finn, director of Pro Life America. "Because of her strong Christian faith, she chose life, and that makes her an incredible hero.†The annual Heisman Trophy is awarded to the best player in college football. Former New York Giant Chris Godfrey shudders to think of the millions of Tim Tebows who aren't here today. “You just have to wonder how many good things did not come into our world," he said, "because of our unwillingness to say ‘Yes’ and to trust in God."

Is it not providential of God that the first sophmore to win the Heisman trophy is this man? What a testimony to Christ!!! Consider the issue of abortion in today's society and a major cause of abortion being lust which Playboy Magazine encourages which leads to actual acts of sex outside of the economically sound institution of marriage not to mention Godly institution for our own good. Is not God speaking to us? If you have ever committed an abortion or have supported this act or are involved with anything that would encourage lust in your life please review the testimony of Roe of Roe vs Wade and her conversion to Christ. As you read thru her testimony don't underestimate the power of Christ love and forgiveness for you as He Himself said, "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." And remember what else was said in the scriptures that it is "when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son"-Romans 5:10. Her testimony can be found at Jesus, Texas, Kansas, Colorado and Roe vs Obamas' radical extremism against the unborn: "the most radical president ever when it comes to abortion." under subheading of Roe and Jesus.

Great post, Gazelle! Tebo's a tremendously grounded individual, and I've no doubt there's a big part of him that delights in any suffering that comes at the hands of the public because of his faith. God, with a lot of help from his parents, has instilled this in him.

This "Teboing" is an internet craze, and I believe there is a spiritual battle going on with it. He is strong in the Lord, though, and I believe he will remain true to him, despite what people do.

Reminds me of James Reimer, the starting goaltender for my team, the Toronto Maple Leafs. No one disrespects him or mocks him or anything though.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...ng-videos-how-the-leafs-prepare-for-big-games

James Reimer, like most people in sports, tosses numbers around easily. They roll off the goaltender’s tongue . . . 14:31, 41:10, 3:1, each reference punctuated with an aside such as “that one’s pretty great†or “a real classic.â€

Reimer doesn’t keep a bible on opposition shooters; he has the Bible. Matthew 14:31, Isaiah 41:10, Colossians 3:1 are all among the passages he cites as reminders of his place in the grander scheme.

The Maple Leafs open the franchise’s 95th season at the Air Canada Centre against Montreal on Thursday. Toronto fans, their own faith shaken by six consecutive seasons without a playoff appearance, will be anxiously watching to see if these Leafs really have found their saviour in the guy making the saves.

To cope with the burden, as he does on the night before every game, Reimer will connect to God through prayer and his well-thumbed Bible.

Other Leafs, like athletes in all sports, have found their own pre-game quiet place, even if their methods don’t appear overtly calming. Jay Rosehill, for example, watches fight videos on his laptop. Tyler Bozak likes to play war games on Xbox.

In the largely secular world of hockey, calling on a higher power other than Brian Burke is atypical, but Reimer says his devotion allows him to cope with life in the Toronto fishbowl.

“He’s a strength that I rely on big-time because the nerves and the pressure is way too much for me, especially at times,†Reimer explains.

“There’s a passage that reads, ‘He gives you the peace that exceeds all understanding.’ To feel that in the midst of a pressure-filled, pressure-cooker place to play — especially on the night before when I’m, like, ‘Crap, what’s going to happen tomorrow; I could get lit for 13 goals on 17 shots’ — to experience that through Him, with Him. That’s indescribable. That’s the big thing for me, just that peace in a chaotic life.â€

Opening Night accentuates the anxious moments. But on the eve of any big event, athletes from all sports wrestle with the inner demons of self-doubt. How they manage their emotions, how they find peace before the lights turn off will almost always influence how they perform when the spotlight comes on, whether they’ll be facing a rampaging defensive lineman, one of the NHL’s best shooters or an icy mountain slope.

“It’s such a mental game,†says Canadian alpine skier Manuel Osborne-Paradis, recalling the night before hurtling down the treacherous drop at the menacing Hahnenkamm course at Kitzbuehel where speeds can hit 140-kilometres an hour.

“It’s so in your head about how to figure out the course; how to be so scared but still push yourself to be one of the fastest guys is mentally very draining. I kind of like to watch a movie and zone out. It’s not what you’re watching. It’s more just the fact that you’re doing something other than just freaking out inside.â€

Those psychological hurdles are not exclusive to athletes. Everyone from a salesperson making a presentation to a lawyer crafting a closing argument must deal with performance jitters in their professional lives.

Singer Adele recently confided to British Vogue that stage fright makes her physically ill.

“I puke quite a lot before going on stage,†she said. “But the pre-show puke guarantees a great performance. The bigger the freak-out, the more I enjoy the show.â€

Not to regurgitate an old story, but Adele was simply channeling her inner Glenn Hall, the Hall of Fame NHL goaltender who would famously find a not-so-quiet moment to wretch before each game. It is in sports, where failures and successes are so brutally laid bare and athletes face the added element of physical danger, that controlling anxiety becomes crucial. So much so, that it is not unusual for professional teams and various national sports bodies to employ a psychologist to handhold players through mentally troubling times and help them be at their best when the fans take their seats.

“You should be breathing slowly and deeply. Let all the last traces of tension drain out of your body. You may notice a sensation of warmth and heaviness throughout your body as though you are sinking deeper and deeper into the bed or chair. You may feel you are floating on a cloud or lying on a warm beach. Enjoy the sensation of relaxation. Ask yourself, are there any changes you would like to make in your game or your life? Changes that you have direct control over. Repeat to yourself the specific behavioral changes that you want to bring about. Picture yourself performing these new-found behaviors. Accept this scene and the change it represents as already being part of your game or your life.â€

The soothing voice belongs to broadcaster Tish Iceton but the words are from Paul Dennis, a professor of sports psychology at both York and Toronto universities. Dennis, employed by the Leafs for more than two decades, believes so strongly that mental preparation the night before a game can influence performance that he created, and has widely distributed, an 11-minute CD to guide them through those quiet moments.

Click here to listen to the CD

The recording takes the listener through a series of progressive relaxation exercises and, just as the athlete is about to drift off, he or she visualizes a successful performance the next day.

“Let’s say it’s a goal scorer, the theory is if he sees himself handling the puck really well, being incredibly confident and finishing off with a great shot and a great goal, that image seeps into his subconscious mind and that’s the driving force behind all his behaviour,†explains Dennis.

“If he has that image just before falling off to sleep, the more likely it is he will try to replicate that the next day.â€

Dennis said it’s not unusual for even very successful athletes to feel anxious or experience self-doubt the night before a game or race. To get past that, he says, a psychologist might encourage the athlete to “restructure†his thinking and recall the positive images of triumph.

“What we’re trying to do is get them to shift their focus from what could go wrong to what is always right. Focus on the evidence; focus on the truth,†says Dennis. “They wouldn’t be a professional athlete or a highly successful athlete if the negative things they’re thinking came to fruition.â€

Still, it’s not always easy.

Rosehill fights the doubts inherent in his role as an enforcer who wasn’t guaranteed a spot on the opening night roster. He cracked the lineup but he’s never certain when he will play but when he does, he’s almost certain he will have to fight the other team’s tough guy.

“Some of the times I’ve been really anxious or nervous, by the end of the game, I always look back and laugh. ‘Why was I worked up about that? That was no problem.’

But then the next day comes and you go through it again,†he says.

While teammate Reimer opens his Bible for reassurance, Rosehill reaches for his mouse. On the eve of a game or before his pre-game nap, he’ll surf the web looking for hockey fights featuring the opponent he’ll most likely encounter on the ice. He dissects his style but, mostly, he wants to see his potential dance partner getting pummeled.

“I’ll end off with one where the guy I’m thinking about didn’t fare so well. I try to see what (his opponent) did to get the better of him and try to leave on that note so that I have a little bit of extra confidence,†he explains.

Most successful athletes have developed mental tricks to calm themselves in order to get their rest and not be knotted with anxiety on the eve of competition.

“You sometimes have to separate yourself from your sport,†says Jon Montgomery, the skeleton racer who won gold at the Vancouver Olympics.

“Read a book or sit down with a cup of tea; a glass of wine for some athletes. For myself, I usually have one beer while I’m preparing (my sled) runners the night before just to make sure you’re getting yourself calm.â€

Far from the days when the likes of Broadway Joe Namath would famously be completing passes with members of the opposite sex on the eve of a big game, if you were to kick in Montgomery’s door the night before a race, he’d likely be reading Adam Carolla’s In Fifty Years We’ll all be Chicks after he enjoyed that single beer while sanding his sled’s blades to a mirror-like sheen.

National team skier Larisa Yurkiw would likely be sipping tea, reading a Danielle Steele novel — “Something that can make me brain dead before I go to sleep. Anything that isn’t too deep; anything that doesn’t have intricate sentences . . . no real theories,†she says — and listening to acoustic music.

Leafs centre Bozak, after going through a mental checklist of the faceoff habits of the opposition pivots, would likely be winding down playing Call of Duty online, possibly with teammates Clarke MacArthur, Mike Komisarek or Mike Brown.

While, on the night before stepping into the trenches against the best rush ends in the NFL, Buffalo Bills left tackle Demetrius Bell chugs a carton of milk while munching oatmeal raisin cookies.

“I never had a sports psychologist. I’ve never heard of that,†says the 311-pound lineman. “I like milk and I like cookies.â€

Not all athletes are on edge before a competition. While Yurkiw confesses to being “scared†before racing a new track and looks for ways to numb those feelings, local mixed martial arts fighter Claude Patrick said he is actually at his most relaxed the night before a bout. It’s almost a relief, he says. He’s made it through his training healthy, which isn’t always guaranteed, and is ready to go to work, which he loves to do. It matters little that his “work†can be dangerous and bloody.

“Being worried about what a guy is going to do to you makes no sense, because you can’t change that,†he explains. “I focus mostly on myself. They have a plan but so do you.â€

Matt Lashoff, a defenceman who just departed Leafs’ camp for the Marlies, uses visualization to keep his confidence up despite his status on the cusp of the NHL. The night before a game, he’ll consume any hkey he can find on television as a learning tool and then he’ll picture everything in his mind from what position he should take in certain situations on the ice to how he’ll recover if something goes wrong.

“A lot of this stuff may seem like hocus-pocus from the outside but it really is just driving home positive re-affirmations to yourself,†he said. “Not only does it help you on the ice, it keeps you sane.â€

Matthew 20:19 And shall deliver him to the Gentiles to mock, and to scourge, and to crucify him: and the third day he shall rise again.
Mark 0:34 And they shall mock him, and shall scourge him, and shall spit upon him, and shall kill him: and the third day he shall rise again.
Luke 14:29 Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him,

It is so easy to mock that which one does not understand.

I'd put this in "Sports", but I think this is more of a comment on society. In sports and entertainment, there's a lot you can do, but being honest with your faith is risky. Tim Tebo is not at all an "in your face" Christian who condemns others. When he broke out as Florida's star quarterback, the story of his faith was widely reported. Now that he's the starting QB for the Denver Broncos, many are hoping he fails, and his name has become the punch line fore jokes.

A recent phenomenon is "doing the Tebo" where people post pictures of themselves on one knee with their head bowed down, hand on the forehead. Pretty sad comment on society, indeed.
I haven't heard any of this, Mike. I have been following his career, not just because he's a Christian, but because he's a good athlete. I hope he isn't shaken by this secular parody of his out-showing of his faith.

Just last week, the DJs on the local Christian radio station, commented about seeing Plaxico Burress bowing and kneeling after scoring a touchdown for the Jets last week. Maybe he's coming around too. :pray

BTW, it's Tebow, with a "w'. ;)

I haven't heard any of this, Mike. I have been following his career, not just because he's a Christian, but because he's a good athlete. I hope he isn't shaken by this secular parody of his out-showing of his faith.

BTW, it's Tebow, with a "w'. ;)
Ya know, spell-check is the only thing that keeps my posts from looking like a foreign language. We need name-check! :lol

See this link. There's a video along with a print story. As expected, Tebow is taking the high-road. He's focusing on the positive responses where people imitate him in a meaningful way. One such a response if from a child who's in the hospital for cancer and tweets Tim, "I'm Tebowing while I'm chemoing". :) awwwwe!

http://www.9news.com/news/local/article/226714/337/Tim-Tebow-a-fan-of-Tebowing-phenomenon-

Tebow himself is a fan. He sent out a message on Twitter on Thursday saying: "Tebowing, to get down on a knee and start praying, even if everyone else around you is doing something completely different. Love it!"
He also sent a special message to this young guy who wrote that he was Tebowing while getting chemotherapy.
"Praying for you," Tebow tweeted. "God Bless you big man!"
I'm embarrassed for my Lions. In yesterday's dismantling of Tebow and his Bronco's some of them actually mocked it after sacking him. To me, they are not only mocking him; they are mocking Him. :nono2

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back