Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Tips for anxiety and depression

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

ellie146

Hi everyone. It's my first time posting. I'm Christian and I am a mom to a ten year old, been married for a while now. A few years ago I moved to an area far from my immediate family. While I enjoy our life here, I've been really lonely and depressed at the same time. I'm being treated for that. I haven't made any friends, which is hard because back in my home city I had a lot of friends. Not for lack of trying, but it just hasn't happened yet. At least not anything more than superficial friendships.

I've always been incredibly empathetic and thoughtful about others, ever since I was a child. A year and a half ago, I started to do mediumship readings for other people, but it was short-lived because I realized that DUH, we as Christians just shouldn't be doing that. So, I stopped. I realized I had been sucked into something that we just shouldn't be messing with. During the time I was engaging in mediumship, I started to get really bad anxiety, even worse than before. And now I'm constantly worried terrible things are going to happen to my immediate family. I've had a few rough blows related to past relationships and abuse within them, so I'm almost "used" to bad things happening.

I felt like maybe someone on this forum would have some advice or tips on how to connect to God, to get relief from some anxiety, and just be closer to Him in general. I really need to heal and rest. Any response is appreciated. <3

A year and a half ago, I started to do mediumship readings for other people, but it was short-lived because I realized that DUH, we as Christians just shouldn't be doing that. So, I stopped. I realized I had been sucked into something that we just shouldn't be messing with. During the time I was engaging in mediumship, I started to get really bad anxiety, even worse than before. And now I'm constantly worried terrible things are going to happen to my immediate family.
Have you removed ALL of the mediumship readings devices from your life ? Cards or other ?

Hi everyone. It's my first time posting. I'm Christian and I am a mom to a ten year old, been married for a while now. A few years ago I moved to an area far from my immediate family. While I enjoy our life here, I've been really lonely and depressed at the same time. I'm being treated for that. I haven't made any friends, which is hard because back in my home city I had a lot of friends. Not for lack of trying, but it just hasn't happened yet. At least not anything more than superficial friendships.

I've always been incredibly empathetic and thoughtful about others, ever since I was a child. A year and a half ago, I started to do mediumship readings for other people, but it was short-lived because I realized that DUH, we as Christians just shouldn't be doing that. So, I stopped. I realized I had been sucked into something that we just shouldn't be messing with. During the time I was engaging in mediumship, I started to get really bad anxiety, even worse than before. And now I'm constantly worried terrible things are going to happen to my immediate family. I've had a few rough blows related to past relationships and abuse within them, so I'm almost "used" to bad things happening.

I felt like maybe someone on this forum would have some advice or tips on how to connect to God, to get relief from some anxiety, and just be closer to Him in general. I really need to heal and rest. Any response is appreciated. <3

Greetings, Ellie.

The first step would be to engage in all the activities that will fill you with HIS Spirit. Being a medium is essentially to become a go-between between a spirit (i.e. a demonic spirit) and the one you are trying to counsel in life matters, and that's why you are experiencing so many fears now. But God has not given us a Spirit of fear, but of power and a sound mind. So what you want to do is this:

1. Get in the word of God as Popasodinki was advising, because as scripture says, His words are Spirit and they are Life.
2. Engage in more worship, because scripture also says that God inhabits the praises of His people, and
3. Give yourself to more time of intensive prayer. I say intensive prayer because if you spend just a few moments you will not enter in, but if you give yourself to significant sessions of prayer, the Holy Spirit will eventually begin taking over your prayers as you let Him begin to do the praying through you.

Those would be the three main things you need in order to drive the spirit of fear out and replace it with the Spirit of Power, Love and a Sound Mind.

Blessings in Christ and welcome to Christian forums. We hope you benefit from being a member here.
Hidden

I realized I had been sucked into something that we just shouldn't be messing with. During the time I was engaging in mediumship, I started to get really bad anxiety, even worse than before.
May I ask how it came about that you were sucked into mediumship?

Also, you mentioned that it triggered worse anxiety than before. How long has anxiety been an issue? Do you have a history of trauma?

Hi everyone. It's my first time posting. I'm Christian and I am a mom to a ten year old, been married for a while now. A few years ago I moved to an area far from my immediate family. While I enjoy our life here, I've been really lonely and depressed at the same time. I'm being treated for that.

??? Being lonely and depressed isn't an illness to be treated. It's just the normal human response to being isolated from loved ones. You miss your family. This isn't an illness that needs "treatment."

This may seem an off-point question, but let me ask it anyway: Are you walking daily in conscious, explicit submission to God?

Bear with me for a minute and let me explain why I'm responding to your situation with this question. It's only in a place of submission to Him that God will move into every "room" of the "house" of your life and transform it. God won't ever force His way into these "rooms," but waits upon your explicit agreement to His entering and making them His own. Your agreement is given in your submission to God throughout each day.

James 4:7-10
7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
8 Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
9 Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom.
10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.

Romans 12:1
1 I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.

Romans 6:13
13 Do not present your members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life, and your members to God as instruments for righteousness.

1 Peter 5:6
6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you,

If you aren't submitted to God, then you're a rebel toward Him. This is the only other position to occupy when you're out from under God's control. There's no neutral place to sit in relative to God, no fence to straddle, only submission or rebellion (though Christians like to imagine otherwise). When we try to live in our will and way and God's at the same time, thinking to follow Him at certain points and ourselves at others, we are "doubleminded," trying to serve two masters (ourselves and God) and, as the apostle James has said, "are unstable in all our ways." (James 1:8). This instability is marked, in part, by fear. We know, on a subconscious level, at least, that when we aren't submitted to God, we are "out of joint" with Him, in rebellion to Him, actually, and until this is remedied, the peace and joy that He is will be absent from our lives. In the resulting vacuum, anxiety, doubt, depression and various neuroses always crowd in.

The fruit of the Holy Spirit, we're told in Scripture, is "love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, etc." (Galatians 5:22-23). His "fruit" develops in us, filling and transforming us, only as we are yielded as living sacrifices to God. This kind of yielded living is what the apostle Paul called "walking in the Spirit" (Galatians 5:16, 25). Paul pointed out in Galatians 5 that a believer can be "living in the Spirit," that is, they are a born-again child of God, in relationship with God through Jesus Christ, but not "walking in the Spirit." "If we live in the Spirit," Paul wrote, "let us also walk in the Spirit" (Galatians 5:25), establishing that one can be in a relationship with God but not living in submission to Him and controlled by the Spirit by which fellowship with Him is enjoyed. But it's only in fellowship with God that all of the amazing things He is may be fully enjoyed by His children.

This brings me 'round to your particular situation - finally. When a child of God is chronically anxious, lacking peace and joy, enduring prolonged, unrelieved depression and fear, they have proof-positive that they aren't "walking in the Spirit." For if they were "walking in the Spirit," the "fruit" of the Spirit - love, joy, peace, etc. - would be growing in increasing measure over time in their life as the Spirit was working to transform all the "rooms" of the "house" of their life so that they were properly reflecting him.

So, then, I ask again the question I asked at the start of my post to you: Are you walking in daily, conscious, explicit submission to God? What does your inner state indicate?

I've always been incredibly empathetic and thoughtful about others, ever since I was a child. A year and a half ago, I started to do mediumship readings for other people, but it was short-lived because I realized that DUH, we as Christians just shouldn't be doing that. So, I stopped. I realized I had been sucked into something that we just shouldn't be messing with. During the time I was engaging in mediumship, I started to get really bad anxiety, even worse than before. And now I'm constantly worried terrible things are going to happen to my immediate family.

We are warned in God's word about "giving place to the devil" (Ephesians 4:27) by our attitudes, thinking and conduct giving him right to ground in our lives. On such ground, he always erects "strongholds" of devilish influence, hindering prayer, deadening interest in Bible study, church attendance and Christian service and plaguing the believer with fear, anxiety, obsessions, dark, sudden impulses and evil imaginings (among other things). I'm afraid you've thrown wide the door of your life to the devil by taking up the role of medium and you can be sure the devil has taken advantage.

How to deal with the result? When you've let the devil set up a spiritual "stronghold" in your life, what do you do to tear it down? Here's what God in His word says to do:

1.) Repent. (James 4:7-10)

The faulty thinking, the false beliefs, that moved you into sin and under the influence (not possession, which is impossible for a Spirit-indwelt believer) of the devil have to be recognized, abandoned and replaced with God's truth.

2.) Confess. (1 John 1:9)

Agree with God that your sin is the sin He says it is. Admit to Him that you have, indeed, been in rebellion to Him and have sinned.

3.) Submit. (James 4:7; Romans 6:13-18; 2 Corinthians 10:3-5)

Consciously, explicitly place yourself under the Spirit's control as often as it occurs to you to do so during each day, but particularly when you realize you're operating according to your own will and way, not God's, or are faced with an opportunity to step out from under God's control and steer your own course.

Luke 22:42
42 ...“Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done.”

2 Corinthians 10:3-5
3 For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh.
4 For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds.
5 We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ,

When the devil approaches you with the temptation to depart from God's will and way, from His truth, bring that temptation to God, submitting to Him and His way rather than to the devil's, asking God to take captive to Himself the thoughts that the devil has insinuated into your thinking. When the World presents you with distractions, and enticements, with false values and philosophies that oppose God and His Truth and divert you from Him, refuse them by yielding yourself to God as His vessel, sanctified and prepared for His use (2 Timothy 2:21). When your own flesh rises up, urging you to illegitimate satisfaction of some physical impulse - overeating, illicit sexual activity, laziness, etc. - turn to God in surrender to His will and way, and refuse to move from this place of surrender into evil indulgence of your flesh, surrendering as often as the impulse to satisfy the flesh confronts you.

4.) Divine Retrieval. (Matthew 6:13; 2 Thessalonians 3:3; Hebrews 2:14-15)

Finally, ask God to retrieve the ground in your life you've given to the devil and to dissolve any bondage to the devil doing so created.

These are the necessary steps to returning to fellowship with God. Remember, though, they only return you to Him and put you in the place with Him that permits fellowship. God expects His children to develop certain spiritual habits, a way of living, in order to nurture and deepen that fellowship. Of course, they are enabled to do so by the Holy Spirit who fellowships with the child of God by transforming them such that they take on the image of Jesus Christ (Romans 8:29).

So, you've been offered God's truth, His way, to the kind of life with Him that will relieve you of chronic fear and depression. Will you take it? I hope and pray so.

??? Being lonely and depressed isn't an illness to be treated. It's just the normal human response to being isolated from loved ones. You miss your family. This isn't an illness that needs "treatment."

This may seem an off-point question, but let me ask it anyway: Are you walking daily in conscious, explicit submission to God?

Bear with me for a minute and let me explain why I'm responding to your situation with this question. It's only in a place of submission to Him that God will move into every "room" of the "house" of your life and transform it. God won't ever force His way into these "rooms," but waits upon your explicit agreement to His entering and making them His own. Your agreement is given in your submission to God throughout each day.

James 4:7-10
7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
8 Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
9 Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom.
10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.

Romans 12:1
1 I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.

Romans 6:13
13 Do not present your members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life, and your members to God as instruments for righteousness.

1 Peter 5:6
6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you,

If you aren't submitted to God, then you're a rebel toward Him. This is the only other position to occupy when you're out from under God's control. There's no neutral place to sit in relative to God, no fence to straddle, only submission or rebellion (though Christians like to imagine otherwise). When we try to live in our will and way and God's at the same time, thinking to follow Him at certain points and ourselves at others, we are "doubleminded," trying to serve two masters (ourselves and God) and, as the apostle James has said, "are unstable in all our ways." (James 1:8). This instability is marked, in part, by fear. We know, on a subconscious level, at least, that when we aren't submitted to God, we are "out of joint" with Him, in rebellion to Him, actually, and until this is remedied, the peace and joy that He is will be absent from our lives. In the resulting vacuum, anxiety, doubt, depression and various neuroses always crowd in.

The fruit of the Holy Spirit, we're told in Scripture, is "love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, etc." (Galatians 5:22-23). His "fruit" develops in us, filling and transforming us, only as we are yielded as living sacrifices to God. This kind of yielded living is what the apostle Paul called "walking in the Spirit" (Galatians 5:16, 25). Paul pointed out in Galatians 5 that a believer can be "living in the Spirit," that is, they are a born-again child of God, in relationship with God through Jesus Christ, but not "walking in the Spirit." "If we live in the Spirit," Paul wrote, "let us also walk in the Spirit" (Galatians 5:25), establishing that one can be in a relationship with God but not living in submission to Him and controlled by the Spirit by which fellowship with Him is enjoyed. But it's only in fellowship with God that all of the amazing things He is may be fully enjoyed by His children.

This brings me 'round to your particular situation - finally. When a child of God is chronically anxious, lacking peace and joy, enduring prolonged, unrelieved depression and fear, they have proof-positive that they aren't "walking in the Spirit." For if they were "walking in the Spirit," the "fruit" of the Spirit - love, joy, peace, etc. - would be growing in increasing measure over time in their life as the Spirit was working to transform all the "rooms" of the "house" of their life so that they were properly reflecting him.

So, then, I ask again the question I asked at the start of my post to you: Are you walking in daily, conscious, explicit submission to God? What does your inner state indicate?

We are warned in God's word about "giving place to the devil" (Ephesians 4:27) by our attitudes, thinking and conduct giving him right to ground in our lives. On such ground, he always erects "strongholds" of devilish influence, hindering prayer, deadening interest in Bible study, church attendance and Christian service and plaguing the believer with fear, anxiety, obsessions, dark, sudden impulses and evil imaginings (among other things). I'm afraid you've thrown wide the door of your life to the devil by taking up the role of medium and you can be sure the devil has taken advantage.

How to deal with the result? When you've let the devil set up a spiritual "stronghold" in your life, what do you do to tear it down? Here's what God in His word says to do:

1.) Repent. (James 4:7-10)

The faulty thinking, the false beliefs, that moved you into sin and under the influence (not possession, which is impossible for a Spirit-indwelt believer) of the devil have to be recognized, abandoned and replaced with God's truth.

2.) Confess. (1 John 1:9)

Agree with God that your sin is the sin He says it is. Admit to Him that you have, indeed, been in rebellion to Him and have sinned.

3.) Submit. (James 4:7; Romans 6:13-18; 2 Corinthians 10:3-5)

Consciously, explicitly place yourself under the Spirit's control as often as it occurs to you to do so during each day, but particularly when you realize you're operating according to your own will and way, not God's, or are faced with an opportunity to step out from under God's control and steer your own course.

Luke 22:42
42 ...“Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done.”

2 Corinthians 10:3-5
3 For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh.
4 For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds.
5 We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ,

When the devil approaches you with the temptation to depart from God's will and way, from His truth, bring that temptation to God, submitting to Him and His way rather than to the devil's, asking God to take captive to Himself the thoughts that the devil has insinuated into your thinking. When the World presents you with distractions, and enticements, with false values and philosophies that oppose God and His Truth and divert you from Him, refuse them by yielding yourself to God as His vessel, sanctified and prepared for His use (2 Timothy 2:21). When your own flesh rises up, urging you to illegitimate satisfaction of some physical impulse - overeating, illicit sexual activity, laziness, etc. - turn to God in surrender to His will and way, and refuse to move from this place of surrender into evil indulgence of your flesh, surrendering as often as the impulse to satisfy the flesh confronts you.

4.) Divine Retrieval. (Matthew 6:13; 2 Thessalonians 3:3; Hebrews 2:14-15)

Finally, ask God to retrieve the ground in your life you've given to the devil and to dissolve any bondage to the devil doing so created.

These are the necessary steps to returning to fellowship with God. Remember, though, they only return you to Him and put you in the place with Him that permits fellowship. God expects His children to develop certain spiritual habits, a way of living, in order to nurture and deepen that fellowship. Of course, they are enabled to do so by the Holy Spirit who fellowships with the child of God by transforming them such that they take on the image of Jesus Christ (Romans 8:29).

So, you've been offered God's truth, His way, to the kind of life with Him that will relieve you of chronic fear and depression. Will you take it? I hope and pray so.
Thank you so much for this. It really impacted me, and means a lot that you took the time to help me. 🙏♥️

May I ask how it came about that you were sucked into mediumship?

Also, you mentioned that it triggered worse anxiety than before. How long has anxiety been an issue? Do you have a history of trauma?
My mom's side of the family had always been curious about psychics, mediums, etc and always told me I was "psychic." I realize now that I'm just a thoughtful person who pays attention and cares for others.

I wouldn't say trauma, just a lot of stress since covid hit, like all of us.

My mom's side of the family had always been curious about psychics, mediums, etc and always told me I was "psychic." I realize now that I'm just a thoughtful person who pays attention and cares for others.

I wouldn't say trauma, just a lot of stress since covid hit, like all of us.
So there was some exposure to things of the occult in your past.

How are you with the anxiety over the last few days? Is it lessening? Have you asked God to help you see what is at the root as to how the entities have been able to cause such anxiety?

Hi ellie146
So many reasons for what you're going through!
And sometimes depression needs no reason at all.
If your doctor prescribes medicine that helps, take it and feel better.
What helps me with anxiety is that I just decided to stop worrying about things.
I just don't care anymore. I had a small auto accident yesterday. The other driver
was having a nervous breakdown. I just can't care. It's a piece of metal, nice metal, but so what?
God is so big that everything else seems small. I've found that God helps even with the death of loved ones.
I think if you can attain this attitude it would be helpful to you, but I also know it's not easy and everyone
responds to anxiety and depression in different ways.
Do whatever helps you.
As to friends. I moved to a different country and it took me about 2 or 3 years to get from acquaintences to friends.
Just 1 or 2 or 3 FRIENDS is all you need, but it won't happen overnight.
Joining a nice church would help.
God bless you with His love.
:hug

So there was some exposure to things of the occult in your past.

How are you with the anxiety over the last few days? Is it lessening? Have you asked God to help you see what is at the root as to how the entities have been able to cause such anxiety?
Yes, there was. And I remember when I was a child, being exposed to it really scared me. I'm glad I'm realizing now just how bad it is for us.
Yesterday and today my anxiety has been lessening, I'm trying to deepen my prayers and listen to Him. <3

Tha
Hi ellie146
So many reasons for what you're going through!
And sometimes depression needs no reason at all.
If your doctor prescribes medicine that helps, take it and feel better.
What helps me with anxiety is that I just decided to stop worrying about things.
I just don't care anymore. I had a small auto accident yesterday. The other driver
was having a nervous breakdown. I just can't care. It's a piece of metal, nice metal, but so what?
God is so big that everything else seems small. I've found that God helps even with the death of loved ones.
I think if you can attain this attitude it would be helpful to you, but I also know it's not easy and everyone
responds to anxiety and depression in different ways.
Do whatever helps you.
As to friends. I moved to a different country and it took me about 2 or 3 years to get from acquaintences to friends.
Just 1 or 2 or 3 FRIENDS is all you need, but it won't happen overnight.
Joining a nice church would help.
God bless you with His love.
:hug
Thanks so much. <3

I want to share a song with you, ellie146. Just sing to Him from your heart... and let Him love you. Amazing things happen when we just be loved, and love Him back. ❤️

"You Are My Hallelujah"

If this valley and
These shadows stay
If broken wings can bring you praise
A promise made
But never came
Can show me your unfailing grace
Can light the dark
And find my way

If ground and grave
Can steal my heart
Yet when you save
A new song starts
And just your name
Can move me near
Can change my hope, cast out my fear
I need... more
Of your breath here

You are my hallelujah
Oh, yes You are --- You are my hallelujah

When silence falls
And then remains
When worn and bruised
I still can raise
M
y voice to make
You famous still
All of these tears, upon your feet
Become the wine
You taste in me

You are my hallelujah
Oh, yes You are --- You are my hallelujah

Oh, You are my --- You are my hallelujah
You are my yes and amen
You are my---You are my hallelujah
You are my yes and amen

You are my---You
are my revelation
You are my---You are my consolation

You are my---You are my vindication
You are my---You are my hallelujah

You are my hallelujah
Oh, yes You are
You are my hallelujah

Thank you so much for this. It really impacted me, and means a lot that you took the time to help me.

I once lived under terrible anxiety. In my early twenties (I'm near sixty, now), I endured chain panic-attacks, insomnia, obsessive thinking, even breathing issues (I felt like I couldn't ever get a proper, full breath of air). It was miserable. And so, when I encounter others laboring under similar difficulties, I have much sympathy for them.

My story in regards to anxiety is one of freedom found in God. Walking His way, I came free of anxiety and all the other attendant psychological phenomena. No drugs. No therapist. Just living in the way God has prescribed to all of His children. It took some time to reorient my thought-habits, adjust my beliefs so they were properly aligned with God's truth, and develop godly, spiritual habits and reflexes, but as I did, my struggle with anxiety, and obsessive thinking, and insomnia gradually subsided until the day came when I realized I hadn't had any issue with these things for several weeks. As I've continued to walk with God His way, I've experienced only more and more of the abundant life He's promised to me (and all of His own) in His word.

The things I shared with you in my first post to you in this thread are not mere theory, unattainable ideals, but the spiritual "meat-and-potatoes" of my daily living as God's child. I live every day in the things I shared with you; submission to God is my "standard operating procedure" throughout each day, and His Spirit has worked in my life in response in a real, concrete and transformative way, just as God's word promises will happen as I do. It's wonderful and getting more so as the days pass! God is just as astonishing, and abundant, and joy-giving as He promises to be. But I've had to come under His rule, His control, pursuing Him wholeheartedly, in order to discover all that I have of Him. My hope in writing what I have to you is that you might do the same and find in your Maker the life of peace and joy that can only be found in Him. No drug or therapist can provide to you the "peace that passes all understanding" that is God Himself.

Psalm 16:11
11 You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

Psalm 36:7-9
7 How precious is your steadfast love, O God! The children of mankind take refuge in the shadow of your wings.
8 They feast on the abundance of your house, and you give them drink from the river of your delights.
9 For with you is the fountain of life; in your light do we see light.

Psalm 36:7-9
7 How precious is your steadfast love, O God! The children of mankind take refuge in the shadow of your wings.
8 They feast on the abundance of your house, and you give them drink from the river of your delights.
9 For with you is the fountain of life; in your light do we see light.

Most recently I have realised walking with Jesus is about peace, His peace in our lives and stopping trying to be something, but realising we are loved and accepted and the Lord will walk with us.

Depression is often overwhelming feelings that we cannot cope with so we shut down. For me this worked out abandoning the burdens of trying to solve my families issues, of being worried about what others thoughts, of trying to help where help was not accepted, and to just dwell in the moment of today.

How am I known? By sharing with others, valuing them and being valued. So much of modern life is dismissive of others, of the small things, not appreciating others contributions and only acknowledging status or importance.

In our church things got so bad, people would not reliably say hello or goodbye, would say a few sentences and just walk off. If you shared something that mattered, tomorrow it would just be forgotten.

Jesus loved Peter. He knew his impulsive nature and weakness, explained what his failure would be, and encouraged him that when he returned, Jesus knew how important he was to the believers. Knowing people this deeply means forgiving, hurting, rejoicing and working through things. But it takes time, faithfulness when others are faithless, being consistent even when things are hard, seeing the difficulty many are in and their struggles, some life threatening which are hard to bear.

Jesus calls us to carry what we can, and learn from Him. He waits for us, He is so patient, and has all the time in the world, because we are so fragile and so bashed by sin and trauma, putting our emphasis in all the wrong places and not seeing how we are hurting ourselves. Key is knowing those limits and working each day to be stronger in the things that matter and keeping an eye out for the small things. Soon we will find the small things have built a house, a group, a life, a church. God bless you

Hey All,
I did not read all of the responses ellie146. But the first thing that came to mind after reading your OP is breathe.

The Chinese have a breathing technique that may help you. You can do this anytime. (Well maybe not while driving.)

Either standing or sitting with arms raised, exhale a slow controlled breath while reaching down and to touch your toes. Go slow. Try to match the end of your exhale to the point you touch your toes. Try to make the inhale speed about 4 seconds to start; and work your way up a second at a time. Your goal is to double your bend and exhale time up to 8 seconds.
(A lot of people can do 8 seconds right away. But please start at 4 seconds. We want to avoid getting dizzy. If you get dizzy easily, do this sitting. Also, don't get self-competative. Do your best. But don't do anything that hurts you. If you cannot touch your toes, go as far as you can without causing pain. Stretching is OK. Pain is not.)
Inhale in a slow deliberate controlled breath. Try to match the inhale speed to the exhale you just did. Maintain the stretch as you inhale.
Raise back up exhaling in the same slow controlled manner. Keep your arms extended. You should finish standing straight with your arms still raised.
Take in another slow controlled breath and exhale in the same manner.
Repeat this stretch eight times.

Now before you laugh at me, or think this is nuts, I want you to understand the mental aspect of this.

When a person feels like life is crashing in all around you, when you feel out of control, when you are stressed out and anxious, the first person you need to take care of is you. You cannot help others until you have taken care of yourself. This is where we start. Breathing is most basic need anybody has. By doing this you have taken control of this most basic need.

Now with a clear controlled perspective, what is the next basic thing you need to do? As you can see, this changes your thought process. Focus on one thing and "git er done." Then when that next item is accomplished, or at least dealt with, move on to the next item. Repeat in the same controlled manner until all is accomplished.

If this is dealing with issues of belief, you can still use the same method. Do the exercise, and when done,deal with the most basic believer's need.
When I feel stressed, that God is not there, or not acting,or active in a situation, How do I deal with that.
Well, I know that God breathed into me the breath of life. Genesis 2:7
When I pass away that breath returns to God. Eccl. 12:7
So there's that. My breath is under God's control.
God is love. 1 John 4:8; 16
So I am loved.
As you can see, if I search God's Word, I will find answers to my spiritual questions.

And I will ask before you or anyone else does: What if the Bible doesn't cover my problem?
I have not found a problem that Scripture cannot cover. Maybe not specifically, but the basic principles in the Bible can generally point us in the right direction. I can guarantee you that if you are breathing, and you know that God loves you, you can handle any problem. You can take care of it because your basic needs are met.
I hope this helps you.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Last edited:
Back