Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Tips for raising good Christian Children.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
C

Cure of Ars

I have two daughters, one just turned four and the other one is two. I take the responsibility of raising them in the faith very seriously. I see it as my vocation. So do you guys have any tips or stories that will help me do a better job? I do the basics of praying with them every night, going to Mass every week, and talking with them about Jesus. You got any other tips? Any input is appreciated.

With kids, you need to make learning FUN. :biggrin

Have they ever seen the Veggie Tales movies? They're at the perfect age for them. Also, colorful children's books and coloring books about the bible. Visuals are an important factor at their age.

VeggieTales are good for all ages!

:lol: and the songs are catchy too!

I have found that reading the Bible with my son is a blessing for both of us.

We have moved on from the "Children's Bible"... and I realised that he could understand a normal Bible... it made me read the Bible more carefully and then explain and discuss what we have learnt. Also, it means that we can pray along the lines of the Biblical message we have studied together rather than only the "bless Mommy, Granny..." kind of prayer.

I think that the sooner you face the difficult questions (Why is there evil? How does the Lord guide us? Is Jesus the only way? Who is the Holy Spirit? What does He do? etc) the better. Children are capable of understanding these concepts earlier than we realise.

I started this with my son when he was 7-8. It has been a wonderful journey together.

Hope that helps....

:)

I agree with Gary, his is utmost...along with memorization.

I also believe one of our greatest blessings is music. We listen to hymns together, sing them, and read biographies on the writers. Sometimes, while driving, we just all sing sweet hymns and choruses together. It is a beautiful time, and can create peace among young children who would otherwise be a bit rowdy. :o Tapes and CD's about character building are also nice. I will try and find some websites containing our favorites.

Blessings

Nikki said:
With kids, you need to make learning FUN. :biggrin

Have they ever seen the Veggie Tales movies? They're at the perfect age for them. Also, colorful children's books and coloring books about the bible. Visuals are an important factor at their age.

I agree, I have most of the Veggie tale moveis. My personal favorite is Little Joe. My kids love these movies. I also think that it sets the stage for them to get into the bible when they recognize that the stories come from the Bible.

Gary said:
I have found that reading the Bible with my son is a blessing for both of us.

We have moved on from the "Children's Bible"... and I realised that he could understand a normal Bible... it made me read the Bible more carefully and then explain and discuss what we have learnt. Also, it means that we can pray along the lines of the Biblical message we have studied together rather than only the "bless Mommy, Granny..." kind of prayer.

I think that the sooner you face the difficult questions (Why is there evil? How does the Lord guide us? Is Jesus the only way? Who is the Holy Spirit? What does He do? etc) the better. Children are capable of understanding these concepts earlier than we realise.

I started this with my son when he was 7-8. It has been a wonderful journey together.

Hope that helps....

:)

Ya this does help a lot. I need to do a better job with this. I have a children's bible that I have read to them but I have not done this enough. They are not old enough for the Bible. It is over their heads and they do not pay attention.

lovely said:
I agree with Gary, his is utmost...along with memorization.

Can you give me some examples of what you have them memorize and at what age did you start doing this?

There are Toddler Bibles that are extremely short so they keep the kid's attention, have nice pictures, and at the same time teach the Bible. You can read this to your kids and you might discuss it some with your 4 year old. My son loved reading from the Toddler's Bible.

I think that your concern for your children is awsome and I am sure that you are a great role model for them.

Like everything, I think that you need to talk to your children about stuff and get them to ask questions. You know, get the cog wheels turning. When my kid was 4 and he asked me what the clouds were made of, I'd tell him.

Was it over his head, absolutly, but it created some excellent conversations that led to more questions upon more questions. If you have the patience, you would be surprised at what your four year old can really comprehend.

I'm not sure about your church, but the one I attend has an excellent bible class for kids (before service) as well as a bible hr (after the partaking of the emblems) and I know that the teachers do an excellent job. But it really does start at home with Christ flowing through you. Yes, church is fun for our children and we rarely just take right off after service. Rather, we fellowship while the kids run the halls. It's funny, most of the time we have to threaten our son to leave church!

Were also lucky because our church lets our boys come up once a month on sunday night and lead us in song leading. They are also able to do the scripture reading which prepares them for the future. Now, I know that you have girls, but girls have a place in the church too. Find out where and let them get their feet wet serving God!

Anyway, teach your children the fundementals like John 3:16 and build off that. They can memorize a verse a week (without having to be able to read) and that gives you a week to have them recall the verse and see where it applied in their lives. When they start school, this foundation will really come in handy as they will no doubt encounter non christian kids and then you can really talk about how God wants them to live.

Another idea that we did for a short time was a thing called the family tool chest. We did this once a week at home and it really got the kids involved with basic concepts in the bible. It went over things like if God is real, why can't you see him and stuff like that. And it was age appropriate.

Well, good luck and like I said, I'm sure that you are a fantastic role model for them. Just encourage them in their strengths where your able to.

I think teaching your children to love is the best way to open their eyes to the Lord. He is love. :biggrin

Cure of Ars,

I am sorry I didn't see your last post until the thread was bumped up again. :oops:

Concerning the memorization, I started with my oldest son as soon as he could speak...the other two have always been involved and just went into the routine naturally as they began speaking well enough to repeat what I said to them.

I started with Proverbs and other Scriptures that taught them to obey God and their Parents...like, Colossians 3:20 And other things that taught them how to treat others, like their siblings...Proverbs 15:1

In the morning after we read Scripture, we work on the passage we are memorizing...then thoughout the day we recite the ones we know...I try to go though all of them. Things like the ten commandments, the Lord's Prayer, the Creation, the Birth of Christ...etc.

I wanted to tell you about some of the character building CD's that we have too. My favorite is Judy Rogers...Go To The Ant...it is songs based in Proverbs. She has others, but I do not own them and can not speak for them personally...though I have heard good things. She also has a coloring book that you can get to go along with it.

The other CD's are from two books that Joni Erickson-Tada wrote. Hymns for a Child's Heart, and Hymns For a Kid's Heart. Each book comes with a CD of all the Hyms...featuring Joni along with some children. Then the book tells a biographical story of the Hymn writer. Then, Joni has a devotional that relates...and then the Hymn's words and music end that days devotion to follow along with the CD. They are great and my children love them...I love them too. :biggrin

Blessings.

I think the most important things you can do for your children is to let them see you on your knees before God. Let them hear you ask forgiveness and pray for God's guidance and help. Let them know you are not a fortress and that even you, the one they probably see as omnipotent right now (believe me, this will change :-D ), needs the Creator of the universe. Let them see you read your Bible daily and know that you have a love for the Word of God.

:) Hi

All the answers were great and I enjoyed the refresher course. I have only two children left on 17 and the other 14 very great kids.
You can do all the things you have spoke of but the very and most important information and following is YOU the manner in which you live your life for the God you love and serve. Your actions and mannerisms and the Character set forth by you will make the difference in your Childrens lives.
You knowing when to draw lines and guidelines in there life that will hold to truth and the Love of God. Learn where your morality lay in truth and make sure you have it when you need it to guide your children into Truth.
You and your Husband are the greatest example of prayer and love and acceptance and discipline and Joy. You teach them how to go through pain and sorrow and be forgiving by your Character. They will see many people and movies and different things will come to there lives but it will be you standing in truth that will allow them to ask of you every answer.
RJD Servant

Hi Cure of Ars,

Oooh- 2 & 4 is such a FUN age.
When mine were that age, we'd do craft projects organized around a verse we were learning- we called it our 'Superbook'. After we memorized the verse, we made pictures using various art forms, to portray the verse.

I had sons, so having something to keep their little hands busy, really helped them stay focused. (At 2, they could recite the verses they learned.)

Edited for the following;

Rule 2 - No Flaming:
You will not post any messages that harass, insult, belittle, threaten or flame another member or guest. This will include misquoting another member out of context. You may discuss another member's beliefs but there will be no personal attacks on the member himself or herself.
*Amended to include* .... Any person(s) who comes to these forums to attack Christianity or Christians personally will be banned based on the discretion of the Admins & Mods.

Rule 6 - No Trolling:
You will not post anything that disrupts the peace and harmony of this forum. Don't make inflammatory remarks just to get a response. This will also include posts that put down Christianity in general or any posts considered as blasphemy by staff (this is a CHRISTIAN FORUMS site).
You won't be labeled as a troll if your post has substance.

P O R, please check your inbox.

Punk-O-Rama said:
Guys your all wrong..

FIRST you need to buy a brainwashing kit...

Well now P-O-R, that's not very nice... :smt087

I think most conscientious parents want the best for their child. Scripture
tells us to 'train up a child in the way he should go...'

I'm guessing- you're not a parent?! :wink:

My husband does nightly prayers with our 2 kids. We've also been through a few children's Bible storybooks, moving up in age appropriateness as needed. Some of the storybooks would have a couple of questions. So my husband would ask them the questions and if they tried very hard to answer the question, they'd get a Bible cookie in the morning. We've done that for about 2 years now.

I recently bought a couple of devotional books for kids with morality situations. We're working on those right now. A "Sticky Situation" is presented, and there are 3 multiple choice answers. My husband reads the story, the kids make their guesses, and I read the suggested Bible verse.

Back