Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

To those who pray to Mary...

Does Mary answer you when you pray to her?

• Yes (please tell me what she says to you)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't pray to Mary

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Again, Bill, you can take pride in anything you like. I do not. As I said before, I'm simply happy for those who are happy. So we can agree to disagree. :)

Heidi said:
Again, Bill, you can take pride in anything you like. I do not. As I said before, I'm simply happy for those who are happy. So we can agree to disagree. :)

OK, I guess... :smt102

Bill+†+

Are we allowed to be proud, within reason, for an accomplishment if we know that God has allowed us to accomplish this. For if we are proud with the above pretense then are we not proud of God and what He is capable of working through us?

notapseudonym said:
Are we allowed to be proud, within reason, for an accomplishment if we know that God has allowed us to accomplish this. For if we are proud with the above pretense then are we not proud of God and what He is capable of working through us?

All we have to do is thank God for everything good in us. Why would we not want to do that? Giving credit to ourselves is simply man's desire to boast which is the sin of pride. So many people look at the overt sins instead of realizing that most of them are caused by the covert sins like pride. I'm thankful that God has given me gifts! I owe him my life for what he has given me. :)

Heidi, could you please clarify what you mean by "pride." We may be thinking of the same thing or we may be thinking of different meanings. I just want to check that we aren't arguing the same point or if we are arguing two things that relate to each other in no way.

Psalms 75:6, "No man from the east or the west or from the desert can exalt a man. But it is God who judges."

Do you understand that, notapseudonym, and all catholics out there? This includes, Mary, the pope, and all those whom the catholics elevate to sainthood. Only God exalts people and decides who is saintly and who is not, for only God knows the hearts of people. And the bible makes it very clear to leave that to God and God alone. Only people who claim to be God have the audacity to dare think they can judge who is a saint and who is not. That is pride at its worst. Pride is giving oneself credit for anything good in him, instead of to God alone where it belongs. The catholics would be very wise to leave give their exaltations to God alone and leave the exaltation of men to him! As jesus says,;"He who exalts himself will be humbled." That is not only a fact, but a guarantee. It would be wise to listen to him.

Heidi, you do realize in your statement you judge a lot of people?

Also, we are not allowed to have self-respect then?

Also

Again, Bill, you can take pride in anything you like. I do not. As I said before, I'm simply happy for those who are happy.

pride ( P ) (prd)
n.
Pleasure or satisfaction taken in association.

So, you're "happy" for those who are happy, or your associates.

So you're satisfied for your associates who are satisfied...
So, your taking pride in the fact other take pride.

I'll be preparing a spot for you in hell just incase Heidi. :oops:

So you're saying you disagree with the quote in Psalms. Is that correct? :o 2 Co 10:17, "Let him who boasts, boast in the Lord. For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends."

Heidi said:
So you're saying you disagree with the quote in Psalms. Is that correct? :o 2 Co 10:17, "Let him who boasts, boast in the Lord. For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends."

Actually, I was showing how you disagreed with it... Your saying you take satisfaction in the satisfaction of assoiciates... which is a definition of pride... So you yourself say you break that...

Confusion said:
Heidi said:

Actually, I was showing how you disagreed with it... Your saying you take satisfaction in the satisfaction of assoiciates... which is a definition of pride... So you yourself say you break that...

Sorry, confusion, but again you have it backwards. I do not give credit to myself for the joy and satisfaction in me. That comes from God alone. :)

Sorry Hiedi, But I see no mention of God in:

As I said before, I'm simply happy for those who are happy.

I see "I" used twice though... So you take pride for those who are proud.

Your words, not mine :angel:

William Putnam said:
Huh? Because I am proud of a granddaughter because of her accomplishments,.....

See, in this you are saying that you are clear concerning her "accomplishments"; or in other words, you have made a judgement call regarding what you think you see.

This is pride expressed..... and God hates it in men.

Pride is nothing more than vanity.

The fact is, you know very little concerning your grandaughter's "accomplishments". For all you "know" is what your limited humanity can see.

Tell me Bill, what if tomorrow your grandaughter were to use all she has "accomplished" to date against the Lord? Would you still be proud of her accomplishments?

Or perhaps in your pride you have convinced yourself that you know what lies in her heart.

Only God is God Bill,...... and thus the proper speaking would be more along the lines of "I am thankful for the mercy and grace the Lord seems to have given my granddaughter."

God gains no glory when a man says "I am proud of..."

Anyone here know the meaning of Ebenezer.

In love,
cj

Confusion said:
Sorry Hiedi, But I see no mention of God in:

As I said before, I'm simply happy for those who are happy.

I see "I" used twice though... So you take pride for those who are proud.

Your words, not mine :angel:

I have explained where that happiness comes from and given credit to God for it. But of course, you conveniently leave that part out of my quote. That's what the Muslims do when they only quote part of the bible and leave out the parts that explain the part they quote. This is not a sincere interest in communicating with a person on your part, confusion, but a deliberate desire to misrepresent me. Therefore I am placing you on my ignore list.

And where in the bible does it say anywhere that Mary conveys your prayers to God???? :o This is all from your imagination, Bill.

And that is precisely why Paul warns us not to make up a different gospel other than the one he preached, because anyone can say he talked to God then try to convince others he is from God. That is what David Koresch, Jim Jones, Joseph Smith did. And people believed them! I could say Jesus Christ told me to kill people because I'm from God! And if people are not familiar with the bible and do not read the bible, many will believe me. Taking liberties with the bible is very dangerous thinking. If it's not in scripture, it's not from God. Period.

What is happiness? Sorry I couldn't resits, I love this argument.

If anyone knows anything about taking liberties with the Bible it would be the protestants.

How many times do you think Jesus asked Mary to ask Joseph for something, or to ask a friend or someone else for something? It had to happen, all children do this.

notapseudonym said:
What is happiness? Sorry I couldn't resits, I love this argument.

If anyone knows anything about taking liberties with the Bible it would be the protestants.

How many times do you think Jesus asked Mary to ask Joseph for something, or to ask a friend or someone else for something? It had to happen, all children do this.

So you think Mary and Joseph know more than the Son of God??? :o You have once again desecrated your Lord and Saviour in favor of his mother which proves all of my posts true about who the catholics worship. The catholic church is not a Christian church but a Marian church. Sorry, but Mary is not more powerful than the Son of God, even though you claim she is because you claim she's the mother of God. But as I also pointed out, all pagans worship people. Only catholics go even further by praying to these people! That is people worship at its peak!

Heidi said:
I have explained where that happiness comes from and given credit to God for it. But of course, you conveniently leave that part out of my quote. That's what the Muslims do when they only quote part of the bible and leave out the parts that explain the part they quote. This is not a sincere interest in communicating with a person on your part, confusion, but a deliberate desire to misrepresent me. Therefore I am placing you on my ignore list.
Heidi, you do realize that you do EXACTLY the same thing to Catholics, don't you? You "conveniently" leave out parts, and despite the correction of others, you continue to proclaim that you (and only you) have all the answers about Catholicism and are "infallible" when it comes to Catholic teaching.
Why? Anyone's guess, really, but I suspect it's a "delibrate desire to misrepresent" the real Catholicism because you've developed such a strong dislike (dare I say, hate? spite?) for Catholics and their practices which YOU deem unbiblical (because you reject any other interpretation than your own).

...look at practically every "catholic" thread you've posted in. You do a quick drive-by of "Catholics do this and it's unbiblical" and then when a Catholic defends their faith, and even uses Scripture-- but shows you where it's outlined in the Catholic faith (rather than just asserting an opinion) you cry "another gospel" and it's not the same interpretation as you, therefore, it's the Catholics who must be twisting Scripture!
It's absurd. And hardly productive.

Did you read Cure of Ars post, Heidi, on who the REAL enemy is? You might find it interesting if you weren't so "on the attack" for Catholics.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back