Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

toddler in the bed

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
D

Dee_wwjd

i love my son to bits, only thing is, he has never slept in his own bed, to make it worse, for some reason we move around so much that we never get settled enough for him to get to sleep on his own. i love the cuddles, but my poor husband. i must get more money to buy him his own bed or something... what does a poor mommy do, and i get told i don't discipline enough, he throws a tandram, i spank him on the bum lightly and then he boxes me!

He is beautfiul though and loving and kind and sweet when he wants to be, what would some experienced parents suggest i do i one day hope to have another child, but not at this rate...

Our 5 and 6 year old still come in our bed occasionally when my husband works. I'm a very heavy sleeper, but if I wake up, I take them back to their own bed.

If you think about it, there aren't many 10 year olds still sleeping with their parents. Maybe he'd break himself, but I personally wanted to break my kids of it QUICK.

As for discipline, each child is different. My 6 year old is threatened just by a "look" I give her. She will run in fear from me. I very very very rarely ever have to spank her. Time out works just as well, so I opt for that.

My 5 year old on the other hand is completely different. She is VERY strong willed and time out does NOT work for her. She'll fight me with everything she's got and she is STRONG. If I can eventually drag her to her room, she'll kick her door to the point that I know she'll put a hole through it if I don't stop her. We eventually gave up on the time out thing and I would slap the back of her leg with a plastic spatula. It works GREAT because it will sting. No bruising and the pain is very short lived, but it really gets their attention. It has worked well for us and the tantrums started becoming less and less frequent. Now, all we have to do is get the spatula and she'll go running and we usually don't have to use it.

MANY on here will disagree with spanking. But, I know my child and I know what WASN'T working. I refuse to have my kids act like some of the kids that I see in stores these days. If my kids talked to me the way that some other kids do, I wouldn't hesitate to slap their mouths.

Have you tried a token/chip system? I'm getting ready to start this. My 6 year old is terrible about doing homework and cleaning her room. My 5 year old has a bad habit of being mean to her sister. So, I'm going to use the token system to try and get them to improve in these areas. Here's info on it:

1. Token System: Use it with children upto 7-8 years of age. A token is a "token" for a reward. Let children "cash" this token for a reward they want. Large colorful poker chips make good tokens and small children don't run the risk of swallowing them. Keep a clear-glass small bottle (size of Gerber-baby food bottle) in which the child saves tokens he/she earns. This is the "piggy bank" of tokens. The sight of the bottle swelling up with bright colored tokens, can swell the pride and joy of little ones. Perhaps, it will also make them impatient. When the token bottle is full, exchange it for rewards such as, ice-cream, toy, a trip to a park, reading a story to your child, etc.
Keep tokens handy near by or, keep them in your pocket. Tokens in your pocket are handy when you take your children to a store and reward them for behaving in the store. Every time, you see the child performing the desired behavior, hand out a token and tell the child what it is for. For example, "This is for helping mom with the dishes or, cleaning your room or, reading the story to your little brother,' etc.. Don't make vague references, such as, "this is for being a good kid." Always specify the behavior you are rewarding . Reward immediately, not one hour later, not after you finish the task on hand, but right away. Immediacy of reward has a powerful effect.

Dee,

Just wanted to let you know that the token system is working WONDERFUL! Oh man, I can get them to do just about anything I ask now... :lol: ! And they are devastated when they get a token taken away. As of now, it's gonna take a while before they hit 20 tokens and I think that is why it's working so well. They are quickly realizing that they have to EARN their tokens and control their behavior.

I don't think you mentioned how old your son is. He may be too young to understand the concept of the token system.

My son is 2 years old now! He is beautiful, cute but he is definatley going through the terrible two's. I will try the token thing when he is a bit older say about 4 years old.

what is your opinion on taking a two year old with you to church, i find it so difficult, and i miss out on the message completely! Then i get looks from everyone, like what kind of mother am i not to bring him along...

He sees me praise God daily! I only let him watch veggie tales and good programming. He says grace with me, prays with me and sings praise and worship with me. I think he knows i love Jesus! He is Two, when he is older, he can come with me all the time. I take him every third weekend with me.

I believe in a spank when called for or i just ignore him, it is so hard, are there some good parenting books you would recommend. I also believe praying has helped him behaive! its amazing, once on the way to Church i prayed, please God, let him be a good boy through out the service. He slept like a baby throughout the whole service!

I don't do the parenting books. They just confuse me. I've had to try many different things and find what works for US.

Does your church not have a nursery or children's church? We always put ours in Childrens church when we go. When they were 2, they went in the nursery. At age 2, they're not going to grasp the concept of a message during church service. Children need "teaching" on their level.

We have a kids church, but way out of his age group and he is so clingy at this stage that he freaks if i leave him alone over there.

I'll just pray about it!

Back