Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Toddlers & Tiaras

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

heather

What do you all think of this show?

I don't like how these parents dress up their kids, throwing away tons of money to parade their children around some beauty show for a prize!

that seems very damaging to the kids in the long term, i say let them be kids and do those things kids do. Just look at most of the child stars. Are they not drug addicts or have been.

jason

I think it can be a form of abuse. I've watched that show once before, and what I saw was parents forcing their children to put in long hours getting primped and dressed and they have to compete against other children, and if they loose the parents get so so upset that the child feels like it's their fault and they have let their parents down. That is way too much pressure for a little child. One child I saw was so exhausted by the end of it all, that she fell asleep and her mom had to carry her up to get the trophy while she was still asleep. It just didn't sit well with me, it's like it was all for the enjoyment and ego stroking of the mother... :verysad

I've seen a documentary on this type of thing and I can only say that it seems clear that the mothers, mainly, are living vicareously through their children. I think mental health professionals would have a field day with these people. The children often just want to be kids but they are forced to look way too grown up way too fast. I can only imagine the self esteem issues later on and also the over-blown egos these kids will be saddled with.
Also, i don't think it wise to put your child out there for pedophiles to "feed" on.

Some pageants have a natural looking only rule. So, they aren't all about overdressing children. Also, some of the moms get really crazy on that show, but I have seen stage moms who just want their child to be successful and live a happy life. Nothing wrong with that. If parents didn't light the way, we would have no child prodigy's etc who contribute to society.
In a way these girls are being taught to put looks first and compete with other women instead of working as a team. However, many pageant queens win scholarships for education. What really upsets me is that most winners don't need the money (buying a dress worth more than the prize money is proof of that)-Wonder if they get to write that off their taxes :chin

What's the point in these pageants anyway? To teach little girls (and boys) that they will be judged on their looks, clothing and personality? Why the rush? Won't they learn this in elementary school? :gah

true but it's all about getting up there and looking cute and doing something adorable like blowing a kiss (have you seen a two yr old do that?) Entertaining and a great way for parents and their children to bond. Beats sitting them down in front of the tv.

Fembot said:
true but it's all about getting up there and looking cute and doing something adorable like blowing a kiss (have you seen a two yr old do that?) Entertaining and a great way for parents and their children to bond. Beats sitting them down in front of the tv.

I am not aiming this at you fembot :)

What ever happened to all the feminist rhetoric about judging on looks and beauty? What happened to "It's all men's idea of what beauty is!"

Did the push for gender equality mean this? Is this a good lesson for young girls?

Of course it's a great lesson for girls!
They learn how to be confident and speak in front of large groups of people.
They learn that how you look does come with a price. Sorry, I don't think only about my looks, since I'm not vain. But this is the way the world is. When these girls are older they will have confidence in being women who don't have to wear pant suits all the time and be masculine to be taken serious.

The parents on this show take it too far, but the whole pageant world shouldn't be looked down on bc of a few stage moms gone wild.

I personally think that this sets kids up for complex problems later in life.

What happens when they decide they don't want to do it anymore or the parents can't cajole them into doing it?

I don't know...I think it's like a child meat-market.

heather said:

I agree. Imagine being the little girl who always comes in 2nd or 3rd. She might grow up thinking she is always second best. I just don't see what good can come out of beauty competitions (and that's what they are, really) especially at such a young age. As I mentioned earlier, there's enough of that in school.

heather said:

What happens when they decide they don't want to do it anymore or the parents can't cajole them into doing it?

I don't know...I think it's like a child meat-market.

Well, let's stay positive and see what good it does for many women out there who grew up loving it and have no complaints.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back