Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Tongues

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
:screwloose

Well, what do you suppose they did before the flood for a bad day??? And Paul and tongues is telling us that he was a babbling idiot?? I don't think so!:screwloose
(1 Cor. 14:23 has His Inspired Word as Mad, as in 'nuts' perhaps?)

Gen. 10
[31] These are the sons of Shem, after their families, after their tongues, in their lands, after their nations.
[32] These are the families of the sons of Noah, after their generations, in their nations: and by these were the nations divided in the earth [after the flood].
________

Gen.11
[1] And [the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech].

---Elijah

Well I dunno....maybe they talked to God as many of the scriptures from the OT state....and what about salvation before Jesus came upon the earth? I guess with your logic, he is not needed either? huh?

On a side note, it is really hard to tell what you mean Elijah. Why do you use all of the colors and such? What is the reason? I am not arguing here, I am just trying to understand your post completely. Maybe I am not of the intellectual level required to do such.

On a side note, it is really hard to tell what you mean Elijah. Why do you use all of the colors and such? What is the reason? I am not arguing here, I am just trying to understand your post completely. Maybe I am not of the intellectual level required to do such.

If i want to spend the time and not just skip what he posts copy and paste to note book then to 'word' and i can understand his post much better... :topictotopic

thanks reba, what does this actually mean though "edify ourselves in the Lord"?

thanks -

Jake

Rockie,,, Ever get with a bunch of guys and ya get to talking about football! and ya get all hyped up about it. You just know your team is going to win... Your quarterback is as good a Joe Montana! Your all hyped up yea team well you and the guys are edified, about football. Only with God it is better. Does that sorta help?

Yes, I do know what days you are talking about. I am really trying to understand the need for this, however, not arguing, I am sincerely trying to learn, so please bare with me here.

God already knows what we need, before we pray, when we pray in our speaking language and He answers us, so why would we need to edify ourselves this way by speaking in tongues? How is this necessary for our Christian walk? What would be the difference between you and I in our choice of prayer? Would He answer your prayer more powerfully and quicker because you prayed in tongues?
(sorry for so many questions).
Thanks -

I think its just one of the ways that God has chosen to edify us. There are other ways as well.

Remember that speaking in tongues is not always a prayer. Sometimes is prophetic and you may ask the Lord for the interpretation. In that way you can be edified as well. I listen to the sound and sometimes it sounds like a prayer and sometimes it sounds as if it is directed at me. Then I can ask for an interpretation and the Holy Spirit will give it.

G3618
οἰκοδομέω
oikodomeō
oy-kod-om-eh'-o
From the same as G3619; to be a house builder, that is, construct or (figuratively) confirm: - (be in) build (-er, -ing, up), edify, embolden.

--Elijah here:

A number of years ago while going door to door in visitation, I ran into a very serious person who was searching for Truth. He was studying with Jehovah Witness's, and the Pentecostal Church of God. So we also set up Bible studies with him. Seeing that the others had a head start, it caused some confusion.

Anyway: I was invited along with with Loren to a Church of God ministers convention. We must of had a few hundred in attendance? I took along my tape recording, for I thought that I might get to the 'core' of interest, and I did not want to miss it. (I do believe in God's Providence!)

We three got seated somewhere in the middle. The first 5 or 10 minutes of the convention started with introduction. (remember that the recorder was going) then it started getting emotional, noisy & it seemed as though the ministers wives were of equal excitement or feelings?

They started a prayer line with folks lining up in the middle line. After playing the recorder back, I understood this ONLY by being there observing the sight to know what was taking place. This was being filled with the Spirit?? (what spirit is the question that needed answering?) In the seat near us there was a woman standing in the chair & jumping up & down making all kinds of racket. And all around her and others were folks laughing!!

To be perfectly honest with you, my recorder was FULL of this stuff! Nothing past five or ten minutes were understandable!! (see Rev. 17:5 & Gen. 11:5-9) And after the meeting was over..

I was asked what I thought of being filled with the Holy Spirit? My answer was short, yet it seemed to cause Loren to make his decision to dump this 'hobby/horse' excitement for simple Truth. (along with the J.W.) I replied to both of them, that NEVER would anyone ever convince me that the Holy Spirit would ever cause Their creation to laugh at the Godhead or their manifestations!
God is NOT the author of CONFUSION! 1 OCR. 14:33 and Rev. 18:4.

And the Holy Spirit's Inspiration of 1 Cor. 14:23 of being 'MAD'? You could NEVER CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE! P/N/B/

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its just one of the ways that God has chosen to edify us. There are other ways as well.

Remember that speaking in tongues is not always a prayer. Sometimes is prophetic and you may ask the Lord for the interpretation. In that way you can be edified as well. I listen to the sound and sometimes it sounds like a prayer and sometimes it sounds as if it is directed at me. Then I can ask for an interpretation and the Holy Spirit will give it.

G3618
οἰκοδομέω
oikodomeō
oy-kod-om-eh'-o
From the same as G3619; to be a house builder, that is, construct or (figuratively) confirm: - (be in) build (-er, -ing, up), edify, embolden.

--Elijah here:

A number of years ago while going door to door in visitation, I ran into a very serious person who was searching for Truth. He was studying with Jehovah Witness's, and the Pentecostal Church of God. So we also set up Bible studies with him. Seeing that the others had a head start, it caused some confusion.

Anyway: I was invited along with with Loren to a Church of God ministers convention. We must of had a few hundred in attendance? I took along my tape recording, for I thought that I might get to the 'core' of interest, and I did not want to miss it. (I do believe in God's Providence!)

We three got seated somewhere in the middle. The first 5 or 10 minutes of the convention started with introduction. (remember that the recorder was going) then it started getting emotional, noisy & it seemed as though the ministers wives were of equal excitement or feelings?

They started a prayer line with folks lining up in the middle line. After playing the recorder back, I understood this ONLY by being there observing the sight to know what was taking place. This was being filled with the Spirit?? (what spirit is the question that needed answering?) In the seat near us there was a woman standing in the chair & jumping up & down making all kinds of racket. And all around her and others were folks laughing!!

To be perfectly honest with you, my recorder was FULL of this stuff! Nothing past five or ten minutes were understandable!! (see Rev. 17:5 & Gen. 11:5-9) And after the meeting was over..

I was asked what I thought of being filled with the Holy Spirit? My answer was short, yet it seemed to cause Loren to make his decision to dump this 'hobby/horse' excitement for simple Truth. (along with the J.W.) I replied to both of them, that NEVER would anyone ever convince me that the Holy Spirit would ever cause Their creation to laugh at the Godhead or their manifestations!

---Elijah

Now this I halfway understood and thus part of the reason I posted what I did in post #4 :)

1 Corinthians 14:40 sums it up very well.
40Let all things be done decently and in order. KJV.

Cornelius also speaks loads of wisdom in his post. Thank you again. :)

--Elijah here:

And the Holy Spirit's Inspiration of 1 Cor. 14:23 of being 'MAD'? You could NEVER CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE! P/N/B/

Luckily discernment is also a gift :)

Use it. We are told that God is not a God of confusion. People who "manifest" any and everything in church today scares me. When I cannot see it in the Bible, I simply refuse to accept it.

Tongues in church have rules (as seen given by Paul) There is no laughter and screaming and dancing in the Bible regarding being "anointed in the Holy Spirit" .That is way off and places like that should simply be avoided. They are not of God even though they claim they are.

Yes! Many people don't see that or quite get it.

They were so busy justifying their position that did not see what I wrote.
The miracle was in the hearing, because each spoke in his own language. Some of the people knew how to speak in different languages.
Acts 2
5 Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. 6 When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken. 7 Utterly amazed, they asked: “Aren’t all these who are speaking Galileans? 8 Then how is it that each of us hears them in our native language? 9 Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome 11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs—we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!” 12 Amazed and perplexed, they asked one another, “What does this mean?”

Last edited by a moderator:
No one has answered this question: "What is the duty of all mankind?":study

Eccl. 12
[13] Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
[14] For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

--Elijah

One of the first things i did when i got the computer was buy 'Biblesoft' I was having a fit trying to search and FIND the term "Heavenly Language" Dont bother it aint there. Nor is "Jesus loves me (you)".

This will most likely get me in some trouble with some one... The closer one gets to God the less needfull of the outword signs of Him is needed.

Yea i agree they heard in there own tongue.. The guy talking was only using one language at a time.... That anything like having 1 mouth and 2 ears?

Luckily discernment is also a gift :)

Use it. We are told that God is not a God of confusion. People who "manifest" any and everything in church today scares me. When I cannot see it in the Bible, I simply refuse to accept it.

Tongues in church have rules (as seen given by Paul) There is no laughter and screaming and dancing in the Bible regarding being "anointed in the Holy Spirit" .That is way off and places like that should simply be avoided. They are not of God even though they claim they are.

Are you kidding me?? There 'i' was in the midst of around 200 pentacostles MINISTERS??? & their wives(??) and NO ONE could be heard!! And DECERNMENT?? Only one decernment there, s-a-t-a-n! It sure was not Christ.

And Forum, see Joshua 7:12's last part of the verse. And these were ALL PARTAKERS IN YOKED MEMBERSHIP! (and only God knew how many members each pastor & his wife represented?) Rev. 18:4

Are you kidding me?? There 'i' was in the midst of around 200 pentacostles MINISTERS??? & their wives(??) and NO ONE could be heard!! And DECERNMENT?? Only one decernment there, s-a-t-a-n! It sure was not Christ.

And Forum, see Joshua 7:12's last part of the verse. And these were ALL PARTAKERS IN YOKED MEMBERSHIP! (and only God knew how many members each pastor & his wife represented?) Rev. 18:4

I think C means that YOU have the gift of discernment.

G3618
οἰκοδομέω
oikodomeō
oy-kod-om-eh'-o

What I don't understand with speaking in tongues is, especially if you are given an interpetation for it, why it needs to be in a language no one can understand? If God can edify us in other ways, why use this one?
And people believe that if you do not speak in tongues then you do not have the Holy Spirit, do you believe this?

Rockie,,, Ever get with a bunch of guys and ya get to talking about football! and ya get all hyped up about it. You just know your team is going to win... Your quarterback is as good a Joe Montana! Your all hyped up yea team well you and the guys are edified, about football. Only with God it is better. Does that sorta help?

I do know that "feeling of being hyped" but I still don't understand why some people believe that in order to get that feeling we need to speak in tongues. God can do this w/out it. It's confusing to me.

Thanks reba.

Rockie,

Some times things are as simple as some like vanilla some like chocolate no body is right or wrong.

Some folks push what they believe for lots of reasons.
They are trying to help
They wish to be important.
It works for them so they share.
They feel such a blessing they just know you will too.
Some just want to be bossy
Do yourself a favor and never ‘fake’ one way or the other. Study the scriptures pray and believe what you will. Our beliefs can and do change over years. What we just can’t comprehend today we may grasp tomorrow. We walk with God we don’t stand still

And people believe that if you do not speak in tongues then you do not have the Holy Spirit, do you believe this?

NO A big NO Some folks put limits on the HOLY SPIRIT. He can fill who He wants how He wants

Rockie,

Some times things are as simple as some like vanilla some like chocolate no body is right or wrong.

Some folks push what they believe for lots of reasons.
They are trying to help
They wish to be important.
It works for them so they share.
They feel such a blessing they just know you will too.
Some just want to be bossy
Do yourself a favor and never ‘fake’ one way or the other. Study the scriptures pray and believe what you will. Our beliefs can and do change over years. What we just can’t comprehend today we may grasp tomorrow. We walk with God we don’t stand still

NO A big NO Some folks put limits on the HOLY SPIRIT. He can fill who He wants how He wants

Ok, thanks reba.

Yoooo Hoooo, over here. Anyone paying attention?

The miracle was in the hearing, because each spoke in his own language. Some of the people knew how to speak in different languages.
Acts 2
5 Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. 6 When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken. 7 Utterly amazed, they asked: “Aren’t all these who are speaking Galileans? 8 Then how is it that each of us hears them in our native language? 9 Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome 11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs—we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!†12 Amazed and perplexed, they asked one another, “What does this mean?â€
:grumpy:study

Eccl. 12
[13] Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
[14] For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

--Elijah
Its good to see someone is paying attention. :thumbsup

What I don't understand with speaking in tongues is, especially if you are given an interpetation for it, why it needs to be in a language no one can understand? If God can edify us in other ways, why use this one?

I know people who have the Holy Spirit and do not speak in tongues. Not because they cannot, but because they somehow believe they cannot. Some people believe that every Christian have the Holy Spirit regardless, but the Bible say it is not so. We can be believers and still not have the Holy Spirit. Here are two examples :

Act 8:14 Now when the apostles that were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, (They were already Christians) they sent unto them Peter and John:
Act 8:15 who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Spirit:
Act 8:16 for as yet it was fallen upon none of them: only they had been baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus.
Act 8:17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

So they were baptized in water, but not yet in the Holy Spirit.

Here is another:

Act 19:2 and he said unto them, Did ye receive the Holy Spirit when ye believed? And they said unto him, Nay, we did not so much as hear whether the Holy Spirit was given.
Act 19:3 And he said, Into what then were ye baptized? And they said, Into John's baptism.
Act 19:4 And Paul said, John baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people that they should believe on him that should come after him, that is, on Jesus.
Act 19:5 And when they heard this, they were baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus.
Act 19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

They were already Christians too and yet, they did not have the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit only comes to those who ask. You can ask yourself, or you can ask another Spirit filled person to lay hands on you.

Luk 11:13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back