Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Tongues

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
What I don't understand with speaking in tongues is, especially if you are given an interpetation for it, why it needs to be in a language no one can understand? If God can edify us in other ways, why use this one?
And people believe that if you do not speak in tongues then you do not have the Holy Spirit, do you believe this?

Tongues frees the mind. You can pray all day long and not even think about it. You do not use your mind when you pray in tongues , you use your spirit. God chose this method :) 1Th 5:17 pray without ceasing;

Also, the Holy Spirit is praying the perfect prayers through you.

Rom 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
Rom 8:27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

The miracle was in the hearing, because each spoke in his own language. Some of the people knew how to speak in different languages.

This is the MINORITY view (Miracle of HEARING) regarding Acts 2

The MAJORITY view (Miracle of SPEAKING) is that the disciples actually SPOKE Languages which were heard by people who also spoke the languages being spoken.

The miracle was in the hearing, because each spoke in his own language. Some of the people knew how to speak in different languages.

This is the MINORITY view (Miracle of HEARING) regarding Acts 2

The MAJORITY view (Miracle of SPEAKING) is that the disciples actually SPOKE Languages which were heard by people who also spoke the languages being spoken.
Scripture says they spoke in their own language.

Scripture says they spoke in their own language.

Act 2:6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

Act 2:9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,
Act 2:10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,
Act 2:11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

So this is the one of the tree different tongue-gifts operating here. They were speaking in all these languages proclaiming the gospel. As I have pointed out before, this is only ONE manifestation of tongues.

And of course they had to "hear" them, LOL they could not "see" them speaking in their own language. The miracles did not happen to the crowd, because the Holy Spirit did not fall on the crowd. The crowd were unbelievers. Only after the Holy Spirit fell on the disciples, did the disciples bring the gospel to the crowd.

One purpose for tongues is for believers to divide over it in opinion as to its purpose and if it is relevant at all. It gives something to debate over.

Another purpose for tongues is to pray to God in a spiritual language through the holy spirit. The utterances that come also may be interpreted by others.

The latter use for tongues is a far more productive activity than the former.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Elijah674
:screwloose

Well, what do you suppose they did before the flood for a bad day??? And Paul and tongues is telling us that he was a babbling idiot?? I don't think so!:screwloose
(1 Cor. 14:23 has His Inspired Word as Mad, as in 'nuts' perhaps?)

Gen. 10
[31] These are the sons of Shem, after their families, after their tongues, in their lands, after their nations.
[32] These are the families of the sons of Noah, after their generations, in their nations: and by these were the nations divided in the earth [after the flood].
________

Gen.11
[1] And [the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech].

---Elijah

Well I dunno....maybe they talked to God as many of the scriptures from the OT state....and what about salvation before Jesus came upon the earth? I guess with your logic, he is not needed either? huh?

On a side note, it is really hard to tell what you mean Elijah. Why do you use all of the colors and such? What is the reason? I am not arguing here, I am just trying to understand your post completely. Maybe I am not of the intellectual level required to do suc

Elijah here: Maybe not? (that is a answer to your question) So let me elaborate with these 'counterfiet tongues of satan' as I see it? I do the color highlites & such for the simple reason of EMPHASIS to certain parts on the Word of God! Like Matt. 4:4! I find that my mission is to the Lord's SIMPLE people. (Zeph. 1:12 'candles' are still attention getting with LIGHT!) And the complainers??? Most are snobs usally anyway as 'i' see it. And I was raised in an unequally yoked family. Dad was educated with a degree (school Supt.) & mom was from a family of 13 'poor' kids. And my choice of interaction is with the 'plain' simple ones 'mostly' instead of the rich educated snobs. Both have their own type of TONGUES if you follow me?

OK: The tongues as 'i' again see it are mostly for the I,I,I,I,I self exaultation of being louder the better! + EXCITEMENT, some kind of SELF/satan/CLAMMERING/STUFF of NOISE FOOLISHNESS, as other posters have brought to view.
Again, it is a counterfiet to the Lord's good gift that satan does with them all. Only this one truely appears to be/numb all spiritual senses. These ones sound & act like they come out of the jungles of Africa.

--Elijah

One purpose for tongues is for believers to divide over it in opinion as to its purpose and if it is relevant at all. It gives something to debate over.

Another purpose for tongues is to pray to God in a spiritual language through the holy spirit. The utterances that come also may be interpreted by others.

The latter use for tongues is a far more productive activity than the former.

When someone would come and speak to the congregation in a different language, there then was a need for someone to interpret. The miracle was NOT that everyone was speaking in their own language, but hearing in their own language. To the non-believers who witnessed this, it appeared comical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it still happens today. Today Christians are still speaking in all three sections of tongues.
1) Private prayer language
2) Unknown tongue (tongues of angels) (needs to be interpreted)
3) Known tongues that the speaker did not learn and the speaker is incapable of speaking if the gift is not operating.

When someone would come and speak to the congregation in a different language, there then was a need for someone to interpret. The miracle was that everyone was speaking in their own language, but hearing in their own language. To the non-believers who witnessed this, it appeared comical.
To tell you the truth I am uneasy about doing it in public it feels weird, however privately between me and god I really like it. There is a good feeling associated with doing it in your own personal prayer time.

To tell you the truth I am uneasy about doing it in public it feels weird, however privately between me and god I really like it. There is a good feeling associated with doing it in your own personal prayer time.

Doing it in public or in your bedroom is not the issue. The miracle was not in the speaking, but in the hearing.

Doing it in public or in your bedroom is not the issue. The miracle was not in the speaking, but in the hearing.
you are right we are lucky to be given the opportunity to have this gift it marks our faith as a people of the holy spirit, a gift from a living god.

Well it still happens today. Today Christians are still speaking in all three sections of tongues.
1) Private prayer language
2) Unknown tongue (tongues of angels) (needs to be interpreted)
3) Known tongues that the speaker did not learn and the speaker is incapable of speaking if the gift is not operating.

You are kidding with us? What 'human' can be trusted to tell anyone what another does not know?? and that this has taken place??
Give us the person who told you.. that No. 2 was a fact? If anyone could believe this, then why not the pope????

And No. 2 needs to be interpreted by whom?? a Jer. 17:5 man is to be trusted with telling another 'man' what he had said to an angel with a language that the 'speaker' did not understand??:screwloose (Come on, get real!)

And number 1 & 3 is about as garbled as two? It is no wonder we read of the 'babbling' Tower!! And you even say that the tongue of angels changed there as well, huh! Gen. 11:1 (No personal offense meant) But your posting sure does cause the True Gift of Languages to be stated as Paul said, about being 'MAD' as in looney/toon! Perhaps that can be put into some unstanderable tongue?

--Elijah

You are kidding with us? What 'human' can be trusted to tell anyone what another does not know?? and that this has taken place??
Give us the person who told you.. that No. 2 was a fact? If anyone could believe this, then why not the pope????

And No. 2 needs to be interpreted by whom?? a Jer. 17:5 man is to be trusted with telling another 'man' what he had said to an angel with a language that the 'speaker' did not understand??:screwloose (Come on, get real!)

And number 1 & 3 is about as garbled as two? It is no wonder we read of the 'babbling' Tower!! And you even say that the tongue of angels changed there as well, huh! Gen. 11:1 (No personal offense meant) But your posting sure does cause the True Gift of Languages to be stated as Paul said, about being 'MAD' as in looney/toon! Perhaps that can be put into some unstanderable tongue?

--Elijah

Oh brother I am not going to argue with you. I have merely given you the Biblical facts. If you believe them or disbelieve them is not up to me at all.

Re: Tongues
quote_icon.png

--Elijah

Oh brother I am not going to argue with you. I have merely given you the Biblical facts. If you believe them or disbelieve them is not up to me at all.

Again: Nothing [personal] with any ones heart that NO ONE MAN CAN READ, but this posted stuff as 'i' see it is directly documented by THE HOLY SPIRIT HIMSELF in Rev. 17:1-5 as is being 'seen' in about all of them at present! And these are BROTHERS in Matt. 6:24 UNITY!!

But PLEASE pay attention FORUM: These are NOT MY BROTHERS.
And this is just [one] of their many 'ABOMINATION OF THE EARTH' sins! (with the compiliars caps!)

1 Cor. 10:20! 'fellowship with devils'.
AND?? 2 Cor. 6:14 'what fellowship hath rightousness with unrighteousness'
+ FORUM.. Rev. 18:4 'Come out of her MY PEOPLE'

--Elijah

Re: Tongues
quote_icon.png

--Elijah

Again: Nothing [personal] with any ones heart that NO ONE MAN CAN READ, but this posted stuff as 'i' see it is directly documented by THE HOLY SPIRIT HIMSELF in Rev. 17:1-5 as is being 'seen' in about all of them at present! And these are BROTHERS in Matt. 6:24 UNITY!!

But PLEASE pay attention FORUM: These are NOT MY BROTHERS.
And this is just [one] of their many 'ABOMINATION OF THE EARTH' sins! (with the compiliars caps!)

1 Cor. 10:20! 'fellowship with devils'.
AND?? 2 Cor. 6:14 'what fellowship hath rightousness with unrighteousness'
+ FORUM.. Rev. 18:4 'Come out of her MY PEOPLE'

--Elijah

Elijah,
You are very borderline crossing ToS here. You are essentially telling people they are serving the evil one AND you could very well be breaking the sin in Mark 3, WARNING: BE CAREFUL DENYING SOMETHING THAT COULD BE FROM THE HOLY SPIRIT.
Just because you have not experienced it, does NOT mean it is not from God.:yes

Elijah674

The Bible says

1Co 14:39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

Elijah674

The Bible says

1Co 14:39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

Absolutely the Truth!
But NEVER WITH A FALSE LIEING TONGUE! These True Tongues were & are to correct a human language barrier!

And are NEVER A GIFT THAT [WE] DISPLAY for [SELF SHOW], but a Gift that the Holy Spirit gives, & will give again to THE UPLIFTING OF CHRIST, not [DEGRADING satanic STUFF]! 2 Thess. 2:8-11 & compare Rev. 16:13-14

And... when He chooses to do so!

And another thing: This false tongues & false miracles stuff are the two hobby/horse theme's of one of the apostate Rev. 17:1-5 group of romes daughters! Check all sites, and that is aboult all that one hears over & over & over again!:screwloose

--Elijah

Elijah,
You are very borderline crossing ToS here. You are essentially telling people they are serving the evil one AND you could very well be breaking the sin in Mark 3, WARNING: BE CAREFUL DENYING SOMETHING THAT COULD BE FROM THE HOLY SPIRIT.
Just because you have not experienced it, does NOT mean it is not from God.:yes

You DO NOT READ WELL! There has never been displayed by me in any post or words even before these computors came out that there is & was not, a true gift of tongues as in LANGUAGES.

And if you think that my tape at that MINISTERS CONVENTION back in Michigan which was almost full of clamorous racket was the Holy Spirits doing, then you would believe about anything! 1 Cor. 14:33 (So who is! Rev. 3:9)

--Elijah

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back