Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Too much estrogen in my house? Their out to get me. Could use some advice.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Danus

any takes on this?

I have three ladies in my home. One my age, one 7 and one 10, soon to be 11....that's the one I'd like to talk about....I should include a forth. A large standard poodle who I refuse to walk because she has a pink collar/leash and a classic cut.....I and a beta fish are the only men in the house. We'r out numbered.

My 10 1/2 year old is an over achiever; type A personality a bit. She's a straight A, all honors child in a gifted class, of which I'm quite proud of. However, she's also cunning, manipulative, and strong willed. Failure is not an option by her nature.

So, last Monday, as we where sitting down for dinner, I began to make conversation starting with my youngest. I pulled out the old standard; how was school today." My 7 year old began by telling the highlight of her day which centered around exchanging Valentine cards in class. I turned to my oldest and asked how that same event was for her class.

She looked at me seriously, slapped down her fork, pushed away from the table and ran to her room. I looked at my wife in bewilderment as she shrugged her shoulders as if un-phased. My 7 year old seemed to have a rather sinister smile, as if totally amused by the whole thing.

I excused myself from the table to check on my oldest. As I walked away my wife says.."I would not go in there. Let her stew." I ignored that and checked anyway.

Knocking on the door of her room seemed to solicit sounds of whimpers from her buried head as she lay on the bed. ....long story short, she did not bring cards to exchange that day. she said the teacher did not send a note about it.

True to male style I began offering advice to fix the situation. Something like; "well you knew it was Valentines day. Every year your class exchanges cards like every other elementary class. Maybe next time you should be more prepared and have them." .........and now for the response from the mouth of a 10.5 year old girl....."OH SO IT'S MY FAULT! Your saying it's my fault when I was at the store with momma and she did not buy them for me because I did not know if we where exchanging them! ...."Yes I suppose it is"; I said, and walked out wondering what just happened again...?:confused:

Then it hit me.....my youngest brought this subject up for a reason. She was at the store with my wife and oldest when they purchased cards for her class, but not her sisters. I go back to the kitchen to get the rest of the story and it's turns out that my wife and oldest got into a little "Cat-Fight" about this while out shopping last week. These little tiffs have been accruing more frequently lately.

My wife is in full control of our girls, and I think my oldest is starting to push back in resentment. Unlike my youngest who goes more with the flow, my oldest is quite sure she does not need to be told or reminded what to do. She knew about the Valentine cards and did not like being reminded to get them, so she invented a scenario to one-up mom by saying the teacher did not say they would be exchanging them. This brought on a heated exchange.:bicker My wife let her learn her own lesson for being foolish, and my youngest lit the fire at the table for her own amusement knowing it would rip a scab off a wound.

What is wrong with you women? :sad.....Is this a small taste of the drama I'm in for for the next 10-15 years? :chin

Anyone have girls? teens or pre-teens? I try to pick my battles carefully, but I stepped right into this one. This was not like her. She's usually very logical and takes a more analytical approach to things. We've always gotten along due to our natures, but this was odd for me. It's like they all 3 had these alterer motives for acting this way. Any ideas of what's going on with this scenario? I know it's a small issue, but I can't help but think this is the start of something brewing.

:lol .............:rollingpin............We are not here yet, but I may dust off my golf clubs in the next few years.

Golf, golf is evil the unforgivable sin.

theres no golf in heaven.

its satanic and satan invented it.

trust me add one menopausal wife and a female dog that wants me to play with her.

What is wrong with you women? :sad.
I'm reading your post Dan and wondering...

...just what is the problem?

:lol Yep, it sounds all pretty normal for us women.

You said, "My wife is in full control of our girls, and I think my oldest is starting to push back in resentment."

I don't know about resentment...just normal "growing pains" as it were. Yeah, resentment is part of it, not to mention the absolute certainty that she now has or will soon develop that she is way smarter and knows much more than either your wife or you. It gets worse before it gets better. I'm a woman and I grew up with two sisters and even I get blindsided by my wonderful, beautiful, irritating and aggravating 13 year old girl.

Picking your battles judiciously will help and also to recognize that not all things need to be "fixed". I think in this situation, I would do exactly as your wife did. My best advice to you would be to, in similar situations in the future, just give give your daughter some loving encouragement. For instance, when you knocked on her door, a simple "I didn't know, Honey. Sorry things didn't work out well." Sometimes we girls just like to know our men care, that's all.

Is this a small taste of the drama I'm in for for the next 10-15 years? :chin
:lol Well, yeah.

Sounds like your wife knew what she was doing - the oldest got snotty and your wife (and this is rare in moms) didn't resuce her by buying cards anyway and let the kid set herself up for some pain.

I don't think your words to your girl helped at all - she already KNEW it was her fault! Your "I could have said..." statement may have helped, but not sure.

I really think that Mom knew best here.

Sounds like you are just now starting with raising a teenager. You poor fool. :biggrin

I might be older than you, but I have peace in my house!

Picking your battles judiciously will help and also to recognize that not all things need to be "fixed". I think in this situation, I would do exactly as your wife did. My best advice to you would be to, in similar situations in the future, just give give your daughter some loving encouragement. For instance, when you knocked on her door, a simple "I didn't know, Honey. Sorry things didn't work out well." Sometimes we girls just like to know our men care, that's all.

Thanks Handy. That is what I try to accomplish as a husband and father of girls. I'm reminded that I need to listen more and collect data more before reacting. One weak area for me is over thinking a situation and providing the answer even when it's not solicited.

This was just a minor incident that most people might brush off, but I started applying it to everything. In my minds eye I could see that if this was not dealt with, in 10 years she'd be wearing a mini skirt, smoking and not going to school or something.

It's the beginning of a new phase and I'm doing my homework on it.

Sounds like your wife knew what she was doing - the oldest got snotty and your wife (and this is rare in moms) didn't resuce her by buying cards anyway and let the kid set herself up for some pain.

I don't think your words to your girl helped at all - she already KNEW it was her fault! Your "I could have said..." statement may have helped, but not sure.

I really think that Mom knew best here.

Sounds like you are just now starting with raising a teenager. You poor fool. :biggrin

I might be older than you, but I have peace in my house!

She did at that. I just wish she'd let me in on it, but I think she knew that Like my mini-me daughter, I was going to do it anyway.

In my minds eye I could see that if this was not dealt with, in 10 years she'd be wearing a mini skirt, smoking and not going to school or something.

:lol Dads. Gotta try to fix everything.

I completely agree with Handy and I`m a woman!

To answer the question is this what you are in for for the next 10-15 years, yes. And I agree with Handy that it will get worse so hold on, but it will probably be harder on your wife than you. For some reason girls and their moms just go at it for some period of time and then often become best of friends when the daughter grows up. But once the hormones kick in, so do the mood swings. The hardest part for the dad will probably be your daughters may pull away some from you once they reach puberty. Don`t take it personally. They still need and desire your love but it is something that often happens as part of the growing up process.

As for your daughter`s reaction, as soon as I read what you said I thought exactly what your daughter would say. The best thing to do is just put your arms around your daughter, let her cry, and tell her your sorry things worked out like that. I mean she knows there`s nothing that you can do to fix it. It is done and over with. All she can do now is cry on a sympathetic shoulder, and I seriously doubt she needs to be lectured that next year she needs to ask mom. I bet she has learned that lesson well.

I have a son and daughter and they are VERY different in raising. My husband thinks my son is easier because my daughter is so emotional and he just does not get it, but I think my daughter is much easier because my son is a handful, all boy!

One other thought, you probably would have been best off to have listened to your wife`s advise to "let her stew". Once she stewed a little as your wife advised then she may have been softer when you did approach her. By this time she may have just melted in your arms in tears rather than still having anger since she knew deep inside the fault was hers. Also your wife understands girls so taking a cue from her when you are completely bewildered by your daughters` behavior will prove to be very valuable.

try one menopausal wife.

lol.

That`s funny, and I`m a woman! Has anyone else heard Dolly Parton`s song "PMS Blues"? If you have not heard it Danus, look it up on youtube and then you`ll get an idea of what the next 10-15 years will be like, but know it is not easy on women either. I grew up in a all female household other than my dad, and he would sometimes complain that he was "surrounded by women". He seemed to yearn for a little testestrone in a son on those days.

One other thought, you probably would have been best off to have listened to your wife`s advise to "let her stew". Once she stewed a little as your wife advised then she may have been softer when you did approach her. By this time she may have just melted in your arms in tears...
And your arms around her would be all you could offer ... and all she'd really need at that point. ;)

And your arms around her would be all you could offer ... and all she'd really need at that point. ;)

Exactly!

Danus, I was about to sign off and then I remembered Dr. Dobson has a new book called Bringing Up Girls. He put a lot of research into this book as well as personal experience as a father and psychologist. You might find this book to be helpful in understanding your daughters as well as to prepare you for the years ahead. Just a thought.

You will need LOTS of prayer ! I am laughing so hard lol. lol

And it is just begining..... I am so sorry rotf

Your wife is going to truly be your best resourse for the next few years.

Trying to control my laffing You have been given good advise first from your wife and then from the folks (ladys) here

hehe

Danus, we really need to meet up half way, say in Tennessee, and have a beer. That way we could both leave, thinking "Well, at least I don't have it as bad as he does!" :lol

Here's me at the dinner table: "Claire, I'm not trying to oppress you, but would you please pass the mashed potatoes?" And here's her response. She pushes the bowl with her fork about a centimeter from what it was and looks disgusted that I made her do that.

Actually, it's my wife and her (12) who really get into it. Since we're in the Parenting Forum, I'm a little more comfortable in asking something. She hasn't started her monthly *unspeakables* yet. Are the hormones already full throttle before they start, or does it... will it get... can it get worse when they do? I have my son around to off-set the estrogen, but this monster is bigger than the two of us. Of course he takes great delight in pushing her buttons which could be just to look at her. This WAS a girl who got straight A's until the second quarter of her 7th grade. Now she's forgetting homework, skipping extra credit... Where is my little girl?

I say this knowing that we haven't hit the real fun times yet. :bigfrown Soon our 9 year old will be playing that song. :couch

She hasn't started her monthly *unspeakables* yet. Are the hormones already full throttle before they start, or does it... will it get... can it get worse when they do?

Yes.

Yes it can get worse.

And it will.

:nod

Your little girl? that is a big yes to your ** question! Does the word BOYS send you over the top? Now she needs you needs Dad spend some time with her golf .... teach her to shoot pool .... time with her matters in who or what she may start looking at..... She will/does see how you treat her mother but she would like to feel some of that attition. Dad is best for the job and can show her how a good christian man treats those he loves. Both of ya leave the internet world home...

This Grandma said :yes

Yes Reba! You posted just as I was gathering thoughts here. Thoughts about taking her to shoot pool or play golf or ride bumper cars...

I said before, sometimes we girls just need to know our men care about us. That is really huge.

So, when you can, take her out on an Ice Cream date, just the two of you. Treat her like you want guys to treat her when she's on a date.

In our house, I go the rounds with Viola. Steve sometimes does as well. They can really get into with each other and she and I can really get into with each other. The difference is, when she and I go round and round, we settle and then things are back to normal. It's just not the same when she goes round with Steve...there just seems to be more of a fragility about it between the two of them. So, for the most part, she's the princess with her daddy and I'm the mean one. And, that's OK, because she and I, in spite of it all have a good relationship, one I know will stand the trial. I think though if she gets to thinking that she's no longer Daddy's princess, that could lead to some more serious consequences.

And, keep in mind that you can set a very high standard when it shapes her attitudes about men in general and guys she likes in particular. If she is used to be treated with special respect and love by her daddy, she'll not put up with any punk kid treating her like a jerk.

I can't overemphasize that last part!

Back