Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Truth!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Ed the Ned

Where do Christians unite! I am sorry to say we are a sorry bunch when it comes to being united in Christ. I'll explain with an example. I believe we need to be vigilant in accepting how the word of God is teached. Some of us might be babes in Christ and some mature, but we all need to discern the multitude of Christian litrature and messages out there. I wont go into scripture to emphasize this, we know that much is true. I appreciate the discernment of people like Dave Hunt, John Piper, John macArthur etc. Yet Dave Hunt written books against Calvanistic teachings and the calvanistic teachers and preachers attack the other side. WHY? Our unity should be in Christ. The fundermentals of both sides have their basis in the simple TRUTH of the Gospel. As Christians we are supposed to have the SAME Holy Spirit within us yet our earthly pride cacoons us into hard headed thinking, disobeying Jesus teaching to us. Again I have to ask why? Does anyone think that Christ is going to be more concerned with this or maybe he just wants us to live for him, to display his character in everything we do and to love (an action word) one another.
YES we must expose teachining and teachers that manipulate the Gospel to the benefit of a wordly experience. YES we must discern all teaching and ensure it expresses the word of God, and expose it if its not. BUT our basic belief in the TRUTH, THE GOSPEL should shine UNITY IN CHRIST.

Where do Christians unite! I am sorry to say we are a sorry bunch when it comes to being united in Christ. I'll explain with an example. I believe we need to be vigilant in accepting how the word of God is teached. Some of us might be babes in Christ and some mature, but we all need to discern the multitude of Christian litrature and messages out there. I wont go into scripture to emphasize this, we know that much is true. I appreciate the discernment of people like Dave Hunt, John Piper, John macArthur etc. Yet Dave Hunt written books against Calvanistic teachings and the calvanistic teachers and preachers attack the other side. WHY? Our unity should be in Christ. The fundermentals of both sides have their basis in the simple TRUTH of the Gospel. As Christians we are supposed to have the SAME Holy Spirit within us yet our earthly pride cacoons us into hard headed thinking, disobeying Jesus teaching to us. Again I have to ask why? Does anyone think that Christ is going to be more concerned with this or maybe he just wants us to live for him, to display his character in everything we do and to love (an action word) one another.
YES we must expose teachining and teachers that manipulate the Gospel to the benefit of a wordly experience. YES we must discern all teaching and ensure it expresses the word of God, and expose it if its not. BUT our basic belief in the TRUTH, THE GOSPEL should shine UNITY IN CHRIST.
At the center of division is the issue of whether God or man are to blame for sin. As Satan is the cause of enmity between man and God, he is playing both sides against the middle, so no matter who one blames, it serves his ends. God has therefore made it so that the two sides are gathered at two sides of the cross where the innocent lamb takes the blame, and so those who seek to blame, are to blame. It's the only way to preserve the Holiness of God free from any accusation of corruptibility and also the man, who was made in His image and is the reflection of His glory. Jesus came to defeat the works of the devil.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I understand what you're driving at, I have to disagree.

Your example cited apparent divisions in the church over the issues of Calvinist theology. While it's true that many on both sides of Calvinism disagree, often hotly, over this issue, when it comes to the necessity of Christ we are all united. While I am not a Calivinist, I feel no disunity with John Piper or John MacArthur, both committed Calvinists, nor any of my many friends who hold to Reformed teaching themselves. We all recognize that this issue, while important, is not essential to our Christian walk.

Personally, my ideal Church would consist of Christians who all follow Christ with their whole heart, but disagree on the many, many secondary and tertiary issues. I love learning what others think about what the Bible has to teach, especially when I disagree. I know I hold some wrong beliefs and if I don't take the time to listen to those who disagree with me I may never discover what ideas I hold to in error.

I think the quote, often attributed to Augustine, is a wonderful retort to these issues of unity: "In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity." In other words, we can disagree on non-essenitals without being disagreeable, but we should be united on the essentials (which I think the Church is, generally.)

I love learning what others think about what the Bible has to teach, especially when I disagree. I know I hold some wrong beliefs and if I don't take the time to listen to those who disagree with me I may never discover what ideas I hold to in error.
I like this statement. It is made out of honesty and humility, a heart able to receive Truth.

Heresies of various sorts are A REQUIREMENT!

That makes us all work at understanding scripture and to reason with Gods Words. There is nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with the various debates and divisions that come about from wrestling with Gods Words. That is exactly the INTENTIONS of JESUS described in His Own Words:

Luke 12:51
Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division

John 7:43
So there was a division among the people because of him.

Paul saw this matter like this:

1 Cor. 11:
18 For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it.
19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.

Deliberations about spiritual matters are A REQUIREMENT of any believer.

Where one happens to be or to land must be an individual matter where the holder is fully persuaded in THEIR OWN HEART.

Paul uses the matters of eating or not eating meats or esteeming a day as holier than another and concludes that EITHER ONE IS FINE for the individual because if the individual THINKS it's wrong, then THEY SHOULDN'T DO IT because it would be A SIN to them.

Diversity on many matters should not be an issue. Where the rails go completely off the tracks is when believers condemn other believers to the potential of ETERNAL TORTURE OR DEATH. That really is the working of DEATH in those who hold same. These types of measures and the holders of same should be avoided because, in essence, they are suffering from various forms of DEMONIC OPPRESSION. They are under control of the HATER of their BRETHREN. And they won't be able to see it or to know it because they are so far far GONE down that dark hole of DEATH, SELF RIGHTEOUSNESS and HYPOCRISY. These things Jesus warned us all to avoid.

enjoy!

smaller

smaller,

That's some very good insight you share. You're right, it is imperative that we deliberate and struggle with God's word. God's truth will come out...but it is in the various wrangles and tangles that Christians have engaged in since the inception of the Church that has moved the Church ever forward.

Debates, sometimes even very contentious arguments over points of doctrines and truth of Scripture can and should take place at times...we humans are frail in our understanding of things...heresies most certainly creep in...and God's word is important enough to be passionate about defending.

But, we do need to be aware of how we are conducting ourselves during these debates and discussions. We need to focus our passion and energy on the issue, and never start attacking the person...something that is hard to do sometimes. We get engaged and take something that isn't a personal attack...and make it one. Reading a response to a well thought out post such as "That is a lie straight from the pits of hell!!!" can seem like a personal attack and hurtful. But it's not really, because the person is referring to the "issue" and expressing his/her heartfelt belief about the position.

Saying something like what someone actually said to me once here, a long time ago, "You don't know, because you are cloaked in the spirit of Jezebel and can't see the truth...." well, that's a personal attack...the person was focusing on me, not the issue we were debating.

We do need to be careful how we state things when we are talking to and about each other. Even the phrase "real Christians" can be very loaded...as if someone isn't a "real Christian" if there is a source of contention between one and that person. I've been very guilty of using this phrase myself...I certainly need to repent of it. Anyone, whether grumpy, querulous or sweet is a "real" Christian if that person is born again and confesses Christ as their Lord...and thus a full brother or sister. To use the phrase "real Christian" belittles and demeans another's faith...something we should never do and yet it's so easily done.

The whole "real Christian" thing is, in my opinion, at the bottom of most of the incivility and bad behavior one finds in many of these Christian forums...and I've been to a number, this place is actually a lot better than some because of the moderators that try to keep a handle on things. Person A is a Calvinist and believes that if a person is a "real Christian" then the Holy Spirit would have opened them up to the truth of Calvinism. Person B is pre-mil rapture Pentecostal and believes that if a person is a "real Christian" then the Holy Spirit would have opened them up to the revelation. So, the two battle back and forth feeling self-righteous enough in their own "real" Christianity and convinced the other is a wolf in sheep's clothing that personal attacks get justified in their minds.

We really need to guard against this mind set and focus on the issue at hand. I've been Calvinist, Nazarene and Lutheran...there are a lot of very important differences of opinions across that board...important differences, worthy of debate. And, I'm glad that I've started coming to debate forums such as this...especially this one, dear old ChristianForum.net...because my own understandings of the Scriptures have been challenged and I've had to sharpen my mind and dig even deeper and have learned a lot. (Plus, I've made some very good friends here...Vic, Jeff, Caroline and Tim, Mike, Amy, Jason, Nick, Reba, the list gets longer and longer each year and these are real people who are very dear to me...)

But, it also hurts and is a bad testimony when personal attacks and ad hominems start to rule the conversation. That's when the mods need to (and around here very often do) step in. If we can all work to temper our own tongues (or fingers) it would do well for our love for each other and our witness.

smaller,
Debates, sometimes even very contentious arguments over points of doctrines and truth of Scripture can and should take place at times...we humans are frail in our understanding of things...heresies most certainly creep in...and God's word is important enough to be passionate about defending.

But, we do need to be aware of how we are conducting ourselves during these debates and discussions. .

I cut part of your very good post for space but generally agree with your observations.

A dire deed has been done within various divisions that to me is far more a working of darkness than anything within believers hearts and THAT is when they take other believers based on their doctrinal positions to the potential or outright statement that believers who do not believe 'like I do' or 'like my sect does' will burn alive forever or be eternally killed.

I'll give an example. I agree with the findings of the early Church fathers on the positions and understandings of the Trinity. I agree totally with their statements and findings. No question about that. And as it is a very complex subject, to arrive at the same conclusion, rather than just taking it as a droll statement spewed out during a catholic service, I seriously had to study the matters from many perspectives over the years to arrive at the same place and to understand alternative views.

Where the wheels came off of most of christiandom however is when those who hold alternative views are condemned to hell. I very well agree with orthodox doctrines on this particular subject matter, but that does NOT make me have to condemn another believer for alternative views, be some ever so slightly variated such as 'and of the Son' or even ever so heretical such as found in Mormonism for example. I may believe a view is heretical, but that gives me no license to condemn any other believer or heretic to outright hell.

Even the good old RCC wherein I was confirmed in my early 20's after growing up Lutheran taught me some lessons on this one. They, the RCC have declared many things heretical. On some subjects I agree with them, and on others I am in fact a heretic in THEIR EYES (such as the whole Mary thing or transubstantiation for example) but not even they take the license of doctrinal differentiation to the point of actually condemning anyone to hell. They leave it up to God where it belongs. I go even further and say I simply do not want to even touch that subject matter unto another person because I, I, I do not want that fate measured unto me. I also believe when a person 'goes' to the extent of condemning another person to burn alive forever over these doctrinal matters they have in fact far exceeded mere doctrinal positions and are now firmly in the dispensation of eternal fates for others and I find NO SUCH LICENSE for that in the scriptures whatsoever. So for me the doctrinal positions I hold I hold from years of personal study including most alternatives and what I hold today has changed substantially from what I held when I was first 'born again' in my late 20's because I was compelled to study them ALL out in order to hold fast to that which I consider in my own heart to be good.

I can NOT participate with the SDA or Calvinism because they extend their holdings way to far (in some deterministic circles) to outright start throwing babies into hell for example. I just cannot go there as a position of conscience and heart. That is not good for me internally. So that is where I draw my line as I know the darkness of evil awaits for me by stepping into that zone for anyone. It's just not right for me inside. When that kind of effort passes as 'faith' which is supposed to 'work through love' I no longer see that as 'faith.'

my 2 cents...

smaller

As we come to the Truth, we are come out of ignorance. And those who are pure of heart and without vanity will not blame the ignorant so as to take glory in their knowledge. For we were all once ignorant and must come into knowledge. And this knowledge reveals we come to know that all is by grace and all is through faith. Truth is God and God is Love.

Thanks to all who have replied, I appreciate the comments and viewpoints of all of you.

I just finished reading this thread, and thought I'd post a comment I recently received when I posted on the Kingdom. Little did I know it would draw such a response.

"This is a lie from hell's gaping hole."

This is exactly the kind of thing you're speaking about. Why would someone write something like that? No other comment...just that. It does make you wonder.

Ed the Ned

Objective truth exists. Several versions of objective truth can be seen in Christianity alone.

I’m no longer surprised at the interpretive lengths some will go to defend the denominational character of Christianity. Interpretive lengths that create discrepancies in the Bible where none existed before. Saying things like the divisions in Christianity only appear to exist, and that paradoxically these only apparent divisions are necessary to our knowledge of objective truth. Defending something so obviously human that only these defenders can’t see it.

John 17:
11 I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name— the name you gave me— so that they may be one as we are one.
12 While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.
13 "I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them.
14 I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world.
15 My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one.
16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of it.
17 Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth.
18 As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world.
19 For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified.
20 "My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message,
21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.
22 I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one:
23 I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

1 Corinthians 1:
10 I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought.
11 My brothers, some from Chloe’s household have informed me that there are quarrels among you.
12 What I mean is this: One of you says, "I follow Paul"; another, "I follow Apollos"; another, "I follow Cephas"; still another, "I follow Christ."
13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into the name of Paul?
14 I am thankful that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius,
15 so no one can say that you were baptized into my name.
16 (Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don’t remember if I baptized anyone else.)
17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel— not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.
18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
19 For it is written: "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate."
20 Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?
21 For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.
22 Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom,
23 but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles,
24 but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.
25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than man’s wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man’s strength.
26 Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth.
27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.
28 He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things— and the things that are not— to nullify the things that are,
29 so that no one may boast before him.
30 It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God— that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.
31 Therefore, as it is written: "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord."

Ephesians 4:
1 As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received.
2 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
3 Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.
4 There is one body and one Spirit— just as you were called to one hope when you were called—
5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism;
6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.
7 But to each one of us grace has been given as Christ apportioned it.
8 This is why it says: "When he ascended on high, he led captives in his train and gave gifts to men."
9 (What does "he ascended" mean except that he also descended to the lower, earthly regions?
10 He who descended is the very one who ascended higher than all the heavens, in order to fill the whole universe.)
11 It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers,
12 to prepare God’s people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up
13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.
14 Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming.
15 Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ.
16 From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.

Colossians 3:
1 Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God.
2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.
3 For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God.
4 When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.
5 Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry.
6 Because of these, the wrath of God is coming.
7 You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived.

Galatians 3:
1 You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified.
2 I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard?
3 Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort?
4 Have you suffered so much for nothing— if it really was for nothing?
5 Does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you because you observe the law, or because you believe what you heard?
6 Consider Abraham: "He believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness."
7 Understand, then, that those who believe are children of Abraham.

and

26 You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus,
27 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.
28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
29 If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Galatians 5:
14 The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."
15 If you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.
16 So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature.
17 For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want.
18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.
19 The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery;
20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions
21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires.
25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.
26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

Ephesians 3:
20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us,
21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

Of course even these verses that declare unity in Christ and the Spirit, rather than in doctrine, will be interpreted to conform to the denominational character of Christianity. Claiming that I’m understanding these otherwise clear portions according to my own interpretation.

All quotes are from the NIV.

FC

1Peter 4:7-11
“Ding! Ding! Round Oneâ€. This is what you hear when two fighters get into the ring to face off in a battle of who is the superior one. Unfortunately this is what is happening between Gods children as Christians are squaring off as trying to be the superior one in the word of God, but yet have no knowledge of truth, 2Timothy 3:7. Love and humbleness is now being replaced with anger and hostility towards each other as many love to argue and debate the word of God according to what they believe and choose to condemn those who are not in agreement with them.

The best example of this is taking place in Christian chat rooms on the internet and it has gotten so bad with all the arguing and name calling as the word of God is debated in anger. Satan is pinning Christian against Christian because they are allowing themselves to get into the flesh and the flesh is where Satan attacks us when we are separated from the Holy Spirit as flesh and Spirit can not mix as the flesh is a hostile enemy against the Spirit of God, Romans 8:1-8.

I have been sworn at by other Christians, called a blasphemer and that I was of my father the devil for what I try to teach in these rooms. I’m not characterizing all Christian chat sites because I have not been in all of them, but have been in several over the years. We as a Christian have all been given the same gifts from God and those gifts are to be used to lift up and edify one another. The greatest gift of all is the gift of love that we should be displaying as a Christian to help draw all others unto Christ by allowing the love of Christ shine through us. Many people say they have accepted Christ, but by the fruits of their mouth God will judge their heart and condemn those who have only mirrored the words of repentance as they condemn themselves by what comes out of their mouths, Matthew 7:21.

We are instructed in Ephesians 5:1-12 to avoid foolishness and have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove or rebuke them instead. We are not little children anymore, but are to be mature adults especially if we are calling ourselves a Christian as we mature in the word of God and display Christ in us and through us. When I was a child I use to get into many fights with those who opposed me or my family, but then I grew up to have compassion towards my enemies as I drew closer to the Lord and he taught me how to pray for my enemies.

I never knew how cruel Christians could be towards each other until I started going to church and heard the backbiting and gossip that would come out of some of their mouths, including the Pastors mouth also. I was devastated by the words they spoke and the condemnation they put on other Christians. This is why so many refuse to accept Jesus and even set foot in a church because they judge the whole church or the body of Christ by those hypocrites that look good on the outside, but are full of dead mans bones, Matthew 23 13-33.

It’s not this evil world or even the ruler of darkness that we need to be concerned about as this world will wax worse and worse, but we need to be concerned about how we are representing Christ to the world. There is an old saying that goes something like this that you can catch more flies with honey then you can with vinegar and if we want to draw those lost souls to the honey, or to the love of Christ, then we must display Christ in us and through us by allowing the love of Christ shine out to others, 2Corinthians 4:4; 1John 1:7.

As a Christian examine yourself to see if you are truly walking in the fruits of the Spirit as everyday when we awake we need to start our day by crucifying our flesh and put on the full armor of God to stand against the evilness that calls itself a Christian, but is only a wolf in sheep’s clothing seeking whom they can devour, 1Peter 5:8.

Galatians 5:22 but the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Galatians 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
Galatians 5:24 and they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
Galatians 5:25 If we live in the Spirit let us also walk in the Spirit.

For his glory

I think you've got the basics down pat. Very simply put.

But I'm not sure if the problem is with Christians as a whole or just the ones who think they're in Christ and aren't. Unfortunately, all the interpretive doctrines floating around today that haven't anything to do with the Bible, make it hard to tell who's who. We personally can't read hearts. But the Bible does give certain signs that lead us to discern between the sheep and the wolves. If we would just stop interpreting the Bible long enough to communally in Spirit tell what those signs are. Doesn't do much good to know the signs if only a few know them. It's the few that would be ostracized, as is happening in Christianity today.

FC

I never knew how cruel Christians could be towards each other until I started going to church and heard the backbiting and gossip that would come out of some of their mouths, including the Pastors mouth also. I was devastated by the words they spoke and the condemnation they put on other Christians. This is why so many refuse to accept Jesus and even set foot in a church because they judge the whole church or the body of Christ by those hypocrites that look good on the outside, but are full of dead mans bones, Matthew 23 13-33.

To quote India Aire, "One shot to your heart without breaking your skin, No one has the power to hurt you like your kin."

Christians are so good at hurting other Christians because they know where to hit where it will hurt the most. The atheist calls us crazy, fools, and delusional. We laugh it off because we have the truth. The Christian tells us, "You are of your father the devil! You are not truly saved! You don't have any good fruits! The Lord told me (haha) that you have a major sin problem and you need to repent immediately of your sin of jealousy towards me!"

I think the cruelest of fiery arrows one Christian sends to another is to undermine their salvation. I've seen so many Christians do this and it amazes me because it's said so "sweetly" and "sincerely." Yet, it is the deepest insult one can send to another believer (believer not Christian) simply because of disagreeing in theological matters. :eeeekkk :bigfrown

For his glory

I think you've got the basics down pat. Very simply put.

But I'm not sure if the problem is with Christians as a whole or just the ones who think they're in Christ and aren't. Unfortunately, all the interpretive doctrines floating around today that haven't anything to do with the Bible, make it hard to tell who's who. We personally can't read hearts. But the Bible does give certain signs that lead us to discern between the sheep and the wolves. If we would just stop interpreting the Bible long enough to communally in Spirit tell what those signs are. Doesn't do much good to know the signs if only a few know them. It's the few that would be ostracized, as is happening in Christianity today.

FC

I personally think the biggest problem is the prosperity gospel. I haven't seen any other doctrine do as much damage as that "gospel" does. Christians have grown up being told, "Give your life to the Lord and all your problems will disappear!" and they think that's what happens when they do so... Then when things get tough, they don't understand why, "But I have faith in God... But I am trusting... But I am doing everything right..." until they finally give up and leave the faith because of difficulties. They think God abandoned them, they feel lied to, and they get angry. (Have you ever noticed that some of the most active Christians turned ex's (as in atheists) are now some of the angriest who go out of their way to hate Christians and curse Christianity?) What's happening is that the Church is just trying to "win souls" and then they send these souls into the world because "now they have Jesus so everything will be okay." Just because John Smith becomes a Christian doesn't mean his broken heart has mended, it simply means he can now receive true healing from Christ.

We have a very wounded Church right now. The Western Church is deeply spoiled and entitled. For centuries, we've fattened our bellies and our wallets. We sit on our expensive computers for hours arguing the same things over and over. I've seen debates that go on for 30+ pages where people will argue one single verses meaning. Meanwhile, our brothers in the Middle East are being tortured for the Lord and our brethren in Communist China is meeting in secret worshipping the Lord with whispers in the woods lest they get arrested and imprisoned or killed. The only thing that will humble the Western Church now is tough times. It's the only way we learn. It's human nature. We thank God for all we have in good times, but He mostly gets put on the back burner; yet, when we are suffering and in pain, we are in constant prayer and contact with God. It's hard to hate your brother because he's a Calvinist and you are an Arminian, when you have no food and he's the only one who could give you some.

I'm not angel. I've done my part to wound others in the Church, and I have been wounded as well. But, every time the state of the Church is so bad it causes me to lose faith in the Bride of Christ, I remember those who are out abiding by the Words of Christ. Like Katie Davis, who at 21 years old, as devoted her life to orphaned African children, even going so far as adopting 14 girls. She is all alone (outside of Christ) out there serving the Lord; she's not arguing theology or debating the meaning of a Greek words context, she's living her life for God! There are so many Katie Davis' out there and when I reflect on them (Brother Andrew, Ivan (Vanya) Moiseyev, Darlene Deibler Rose) and they way they loved Christ and their neighbors to the point of suffering, torture, and even death it really puts everything into perspective for me.

We have been hurt, and we have hurt, but we can't keep dwelling in that hurt, we have to keep our eyes on the good. It's why Christ's message is so powerful. Who would want to love their enemies? That's crazy talk to our natural minds. Bless them? Pssh. But, I'm reminded of Darlene Deibler Rose, who forgave her tormentor going so far as sharing the Gospel with Him. Praying for him and blessing him, and her love towards him caused him to repent and go on to preach the gospel of Christ to a hurting Japanese people. Jesus really knew what He was doing when He told us to love our enemies.

This is pure "Christianity" if anyone is curious:

[video=youtube;YyfH3T8HXZg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyfH3T8HXZg[/video]

BTW: the shaking wildly and such is not a pentacostal "Holy Spirit Manifestation" it is demonic activity (literally, I'm not trying to knock Pentacostals). These filmmakers went to occult influenced people to bring them the gospel.

And finally, this is true, perfect, and undefiled theology:
[video=youtube;wGhQgCEerKU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGhQgCEerKU[/video]

TheLords

Good to hear another positive word against over indoctrinated Christianity. And I too have heard of such believers out there who do things other than fight about things that aren’t really that important in the grand scheme of things.

But can you extend that to a non-Trinitarian? You spent a great deal of time on a thread concerning that issue. Can you accept a non-Trinitarian into your fold of believers? Or would that be too much to ask? To be one with believers in the Spirit alone in spite of a difference in a doctrine considered by many in Christianity, if not most, whether for or against, the most essential of doctrines?

This may sound like a detraction against your post, but that isn't the intention. The denominational character of Christianity is a chief reason I realized that I didn't want to be a part of Christianity any more. I'm not as angry about it as some Atheists are. But sometimes I wonder if I'm not angry enough. Especially when otherwise well meaning Christians are determined to practice Biblical interpretation, the reason behind the denominational character of Christianity. It may seem I overemphasize the matter. But it's only because I think it needs to be emphasized. Every once in a while, it’s the one who’s constant that’s heard.

I wouldn't wish the suffering of those in the Mideast and in China and in Africa on any Western Christian for one simple reason. Most of them couldn't take it. They would even more think that God has abandoned them. The Christians in the West simply aren't ready for that. And maybe that's why they haven't had that kind of suffering brought upon them as yet. And there have been those for a lot of years who have thought that it was coming to America very soon. One has to wonder how ready to die for the faith a desk bound paper pusher really is. They may think they're ready for the field, to get down and dirty like Paul did. But without the proper training in more than interpretations or milk, how would they fare?

It was that second YouTube piece that I identified with the most. It’s true that darkness reigns in many places as the first piece brings out, sometimes in places we would least expect. But what he said in that second piece is exactly my understanding of why darkness reigns in such a way. Jesus is the truth. Not our interpretations of what the Bible says. In spite of those who contend that without a proper interpretation of the Bible it’s impossible to know Christ as the truth. I’ve known babes in Christ who knew Christ more and better than those who thought they had the proper interpretation of the Bible. The Pharisees thought they had the proper interpretation of the Bible. Did they know Christ?

When Christianity as a whole sees that, it will lose it’s denominational character and its human nature because it will begin to walk by the Spirit, and by the teaching of the real teacher of truth, the one who is truth. The practice of closed communion over doctrinal differences would be a thing of the past. And I would gladly become a part of that fold, of that community.

FC

Mat 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
Mat 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Why is this one simple law so hard to follow. Isn't this all we truly need to be displaying if we truly have the love of Christ in us!!! Former Christian and thelords I :clap2 you for what you have said as we are the Lords and why do we put the title Christian to our name if we can not understand what the love of Christ is.

The Bible (basic instruction before leaving earth) is our instruction manual on how to be Christ like in all our mannerism to allow the love of Christ shine through us even more so when we are persecuted. America is spoiled and when it comes to laying our own lives down through persecutions as we see in other countries will our last words be that of the love of Christ or words of hate for our enemies.

TheLords

Good to hear another positive word against over indoctrinated Christianity. And I too have heard of such believers out there who do things other than fight about things that aren’t really that important in the grand scheme of things.

But can you extend that to a non-Trinitarian? You spent a great deal of time on a thread concerning that issue. Can you accept a non-Trinitarian into your fold of believers? Or would that be too much to ask? To be one with believers in the Spirit alone in spite of a difference in a doctrine considered by many in Christianity, if not most, whether for or against, the most essential of doctrines?

Me, personally, yes I can. I think a non-Trinitarian can be a Christian. However, I also personally think that the followers of Christ are set apart because of the understanding that Jesus Christ is God. If a non-Trinitarian worships Jesus Christ as God, then that is a brother or sister of mine in Christ. For those non-Trinitarian Christians who don't see Christ as God, I believe there is something lacking in their understanding of God and here it's not so black and white for me. If I met someone who did not believe, know, see Christ as God, my heart wouldn't be so open to them. Truth be told, I would be afraid of getting burned (If one who knows Jesus as God can burn you, how much more so one who does not?). I would take them on an individual basis. We are growing and learning all the time. What we believe now about the Word, we see differently in 5, 10, 15 years. I think there is time for many to come to a full understanding of who Jesus Christ is before their time to pass. Knowing the Lord's heart, I know without a doubt that He can't resist those who love Him and desire to know Him more then they care about their own suffering or pain. I've met many non-Trinitarians with a heart for the Lord who don't see Jesus Christ as God, and I believe that one day they will. I've met others who also don't see Christ as God, but I'm weary of them because of the way they talk and act and I wonder if they even truly know God at all. Like I said it's not a black and white issue.

Being able to declare Jesus Christ as God, is vital to being a believer, without it what sets us apart from Jews or Muslims? The Jews think Christ was a good teacher and rabbi. The Muslims think Jesus was a great prophet. Without the vital understanding that Thomas had in Jesus in John 20:28 "My Lord and my God!" one can't be a whole follower of Christ.

This may sound like a detraction against your post, but that isn't the intention. The denominational character of Christianity is a chief reason I realized that I didn't want to be a part of Christianity any more. I'm not as angry about it as some Atheists are. But sometimes I wonder if I'm not angry enough. Especially when otherwise well meaning Christians are determined to practice Biblical interpretation, the reason behind the denominational character of Christianity. It may seem I overemphasize the matter. But it's only because I think it needs to be emphasized. Every once in a while, it’s the one who’s constant that’s heard.

I think you display a righteous anger towards the brokenness of the Body. I respect you, although, I don't agree with the way you go about expressing yourself. You see, you are a believer! A follower of Christ, who sees the Word of God as the Word of God and Christianity as a man-made religion... and I agree with you. Pure and undefiled religion is to look after widows and orphans and keep ourselves unstained by the evil of the world. (James 1:27, paraphrased) That's it. That's the organized religion Christ left us with. The rest of men's traditions are just that traditions. Don't get me wrong, I'm a bit of a traditional girl. I'll be wearing white on my wedding day (even though it has nothing to do with any Biblical mandate) and celebrating the honorary date of Christ's birth and Resurrection Sunday with any possible future children of mine, but I won't be allowing tradition to dictate my life or use it as a weapon of exclusion or division. Christianity's history is a bittersweet one and really needs to be looked upon as "all good." By that I mean, the understanding that idols (one's pet doctrine) was the cause of so much violence and hatred, and lack of understanding of the Bible and the love of God was the reason of so much Christian persecution against others. It's awful and it's terrible and is shameful, but it's a reminder for us not to be like them. In fact, my heart feels so much for these shameless televangelist stealing money from the poor, or these sexual predators within the Church, or these famous preachers/organizations steeped in sin and spiritual abuse. I ache for them worse than I ache for the lost, why? Because, the day of judgement will be a million times worse for them then it will be for the atheist, if they don't repent. The atheist doesn't know God, His love and mercy, or His message of love sent to us in Christ. The one who calls Himself a servant, follower, believer of Christ who is abusing children, has heard the Gospel of Love and gone so far as to perpetrate vile evil in His Name. I know I'm not saying it so eloquently as to express the sheer amazement I feel towards the complete and utter disrespect of God such people who call themselves His have, but I hope you can understand it. How these people can have no fear of God deeply shocks me. Then, on the other hand, I believe our Christian history passed on to us through tradition is a thing of beauty. We see how others saw God and what they taught and how they led their lives and we can be deeply enriched by it. It's a balance really. I don't agree with throwing the baby out with the bath water. Within Christianity we are split into three--the babes, the meat eaters, and the elders. We need each other. And all this to bring me around back to the point I started with, I don't agree with the way you express yourself in terms of rejecting Christianity. You have been a kind, respectful, gentle man since the day you came here, so I hope you see the respect I have for you as I say these next words. This has been on my heart for some time now. I, in the real world, was like you for some time. When someone asked me if I was a Christian I would say no, that I was a follower of Christ. I kept thinking about Ghandi, and his famous words about Christianity/Christians and I didn't want to be that Christian. But, as time went on the Lord convicted my heart. I had let someone else trying to shame me ("I would be a Christian if it wasn't for Christians") work. The Lord explained to me that I was looking at this Ghandi picture the wrong way. He told me that Ghandi had an opportunity to change things! That, he, could have taken on the title of "Christian" (greek for little Christ, modern for follower of Christ) and showed the world what true, undefiled, and pure "Christianity" looked like. (Love, Joy, Peace, Faithfulness, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Gentleness, Self Control). That understanding really changed my heart. FC--you're not a former Christian when we look at Christian as meaning "follower of Christ", but what you truly are is a Former Old Man (as in old natured man). You have died to the division that causes us all grief in Christ, and have allowed Him to give you a new nature that so deeply yearns for unity in Christ for all of us. You now have the opportunity to change hearts and minds and be a powerful tool for Christ in this manner. But, by rejecting our modern understanding of "Christian=follower of Christ" you cause others to be weary of you. "Oh no, not another possibly angry, hateful Christian turned atheist who is here to tell us about how nice and polite they are and then insult us as politely as possible every chance they get" is what I believe many think when a new atheist joins the board. I hope it's something for you to consider. The Lord showed me that by rejecting the title "Christian" I was shaming other believers, "Oh, no I'm not like those Christians who hurt other people!" I was unconsciously telling others. Then the Lord brought me to repentance and showed me that I had the opportunity to change things. If someone met a hurtful, hateful, divisive Christian and that was the only knowledge of Christ they had, then I had the opportunity to call myself a Christian and change their minds on what it truly meant to follower Christ. His understanding changed me, and I hope it speaks to you.

I wouldn't wish the suffering of those in the Mideast and in China and in Africa on any Western Christian for one simple reason. Most of them couldn't take it. They would even more think that God has abandoned them. The Christians in the West simply aren't ready for that. And maybe that's why they haven't had that kind of suffering brought upon them as yet. And there have been those for a lot of years who have thought that it was coming to America very soon. One has to wonder how ready to die for the faith a desk bound paper pusher really is. They may think they're ready for the field, to get down and dirty like Paul did. But without the proper training in more than interpretations or milk, how would they fare?

As far as suffering, I certainly don't wish suffering on the Western Church. When I think of the suffering hitting the West, I think of the 7 years of trials and tribulations. So for me, I see it as a ways away, but I do see it as the only thing that can really change us. Christ's suffering changes us for the better if we let it. I also see it as a two edged sword on the one hand I agree that not many will stand to suffer for Christ, but I see it as good, those on the fence will be made to choose and those with cheap faith or wolves in sheep costume will fall away, allowing those truly united in Christ to come together. It's easier to trust your brother or sister in Christ, when the untrustworthy ones are weeded out in time of war. Yet, at the same time, I think of 9/11 and how so many "spoiled, western, entitled" Christians gave their lives to help others or to stay with others so they wouldn't die alone. That's love. We really don't know what we're made of until we are forced to put our actions where our words are.

It was that second YouTube piece that I identified with the most. It’s true that darkness reigns in many places as the first piece brings out, sometimes in places we would least expect. But what he said in that second piece is exactly my understanding of why darkness reigns in such a way. Jesus is the truth. Not our interpretations of what the Bible says. In spite of those who contend that without a proper interpretation of the Bible it’s impossible to know Christ as the truth. I’ve known babes in Christ who knew Christ more and better than those who thought they had the proper interpretation of the Bible. The Pharisees thought they had the proper interpretation of the Bible. Did they know Christ?

When Christianity as a whole sees that, it will lose it’s denominational character and its human nature because it will begin to walk by the Spirit, and by the teaching of the real teacher of truth, the one who is truth. The practice of closed communion over doctrinal differences would be a thing of the past. And I would gladly become a part of that fold, of that community.

FC

I think you're absolutely right. It's the devil's smartest plan. I remember sitting in a history class while my atheist professor bashed Christianity to pieces with vile hatred. Ok, what else is new? I thought. Then one day he did something strange, he gave the floor to a Muslim student to talk about Islam and how wonderful it was for a good half and hour. I sat their stunned. Aren't atheists supposed to hate all religions? The only reason the teacher cut off this Muslim student was because he was boring all of us! But, the Lord crept in and spoke to my heart... "The Lord's, don't you see it as a smart tactic, that Satan would destroy the Truth (of Christ) while upholding and honoring the lie?" I'm certainly not stating it as beautifully as the Lord, but that fell into my heart like a 2x4. Does Satan attack the lies or does he uphold and honor them? So, where does he attack the most--Christianity because that is where the Gospel of Christ is expressed. So, he goes after us, and he destroys from within and we suffer, but praise God, all his evil works are turned for our own good because of Jesus Christ. So, what happened with this class? The Lord gave me an opportunity to speak on the last day of class. I didn't speak the Holy Spirit spoke (I'm a shy girl with a Moses mouth) and I don't really remember what I said. But the Lord took 5 minutes and spoke Truth through me to the point that I stunned the class (especially myself) and left my professor speechless so much so that he decided to move on to a new topic.

FC, the powers of darkness are strong, but the love of God is stronger. You, dear brother, have an opportunity to change things, because you so strongly reflect the love of God. You are already apart of the body of Christ. You live in unity with Christ and His Body. Everyone loves to quote that God does not dwell in temples, but they forget that the Church, the Ekklesia, the Bride, the Body is not a temple either, but a group of people united in the Lord to live His kingdom on earth, to love and to heal others who are broken and need to be touched.

The West is full of intellectual understanding of God and the persecuted Church in the East is full of heart understanding of God, when we can reconcile the two within the Church and within ourselves, we become powerful and unstoppable forces of love for God.

Okay, enough of my rambling. ;)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back