Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Two kinds of Sabbath rest

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

TonyChanYT

There is a physical kind and there is a spiritual kind.

The first kind of Sabbath rest was periodic, Exodus 34:

21 Six days you shall labor, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even during the plowing season and harvest you must rest.
Every Sabbath day (Friday sundown to Saturday sundown), the Israelites were commanded to cease physical labor.

The second kind of Sabbath rest is quite different, Hebrew 4:

8 For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken of another day later on. 9So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God,
It is a permanent spiritual resting state of being, Psalm 95:

10 For forty years I loathed that generation and said, “They are a people who go astray in their heart, and they have not known my ways.”
They knew the first kind of Sabbath rest. They practiced it every week. Yet,

11 Therefore I swore in my wrath, “They shall not enter my rest [H4496].”
But they did not attain the second kind of Sabbath rest.

Strong's Hebrew: 4496. מְנוּחָה (menuchah or menuchah) — 22 Occurrences

Brown-Driver-Briggs:

1 resting-place …
2 rest (from enemies) = peace 1 Kings 8:56 (compare 1 Kings 5:18), ׳אִישׁ מ 1 Chronicles 22:9 a man of peace (compare הֵנִיחַ vb);
H4496 can mean peace and rest. It is a state of being, Isaiah 28:

12 to whom he said, “This is the resting place,
It was not a resting time.

let the weary rest"; and, “This is the place of repose"— but they would not listen.
Jeremiah 6:

16 This is what the LORD says: “Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. But you said, ‘We will not walk in it.’
Jesus spoke in Matthew 11:

28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."
The physical Sabbath rest is only a type of the spiritual true type of Sabbath rest. We come to the true Sabbath peace and rest by coming to Jesus.

See also Should we keep the weekly Sabbath?.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back