Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Prayer __] ugh. guidance, please...

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I get the impression I need to change majors. But...to what? Psychology would make a lot of sense, but I've been victimized by mental health. I *could* be part of the solution, I suppose, but...wow. So many unbelievers, telling miserable unbelievers how to think and that their sins are a-okay. On the other hand, they victimize the poor and disenfranchised. In that respect, psychology and the rest of mental health seems only to reinforce (sometimes with force and heavy drugging) secular values with which I often disagree, because of Christ's work in my life.

I guess there could be/is Christian psychology, but...really? No offense to anybody, but it seems that Mental Health, Inc. creates a lot of victims and disempowers people. Plus, a lot of the roots of psychology and psychiatry seem decidedly un-Christian.

Ugh. That's what I get for being a sociology major, lol.

If you like people be a counselor. If you like numbers be an accountant. If you like technology learn how to build websites. Those are fields guaranteed to make money in the near future IMO.

Think about job security in the future brother, and the state of the economy...with this in mind, I would think that counselors may be out of work in the future. I myself would lean towards something like say, engineering. Being able to fix things in the future will keep you working I think.

That was a nice list Gary. Pharmacist probably wouldn't take long to finish, and how hard could it be? Every one is on some medication nowadays almost. I wouldn't do that one though if you would be tempted by the easy access, but I think they do make good money.

Considering your own posts about having a fair amount of difficulty winning friends and influencing people around your neighborhood, is a career that depends upon doing all those things successfully, really the place to be looking?

What are your interests outside of work and school? Pick something you enjoy and look into making that a career. If there seems to be a demand in that area then look into what kind of major would fit.

I would also consider the possibility of doing something in which you could go into business for yourself in. That would never hurt. Even if it was a mediocre business, every little bit helps. At first you could even keep your full time job and just have a side interest going, later if it took off, you'd be set.

You've had a bad experience with psychiatrists etc, but it doesn't have to be that way. A good psychologist can do an incredible amount of good, and how much more so if that psychologist is a Christian. I am lucky enough to have had good experiences with counsellors; if it wasn't for those two wonderful ladies I would still be a complete wreck. So if pyschology appeals to you, go for it - the more genuine Christian psychologists the better as far as I am concerned!

Think about job security in the future brother, and the state of the economy...with this in mind, I would think that counselors may be out of work in the future. I myself would lean towards something like say, engineering. Being able to fix things in the future will keep you working I think.

I understand you're reasoning for thinking that counselors might be out of work in the future, but trust me, it's probably the opposite. As a pastor in full-time ministry for over 10 years, I've never had to refer more people to counseling than in the past few years. I don't see the trend changing, but rather, increasing.

I understand you're reasoning for thinking that counselors might be out of work in the future, but trust me, it's probably the opposite. As a pastor in full-time ministry for over 10 years, I've never had to refer more people to counseling than in the past few years. I don't see the trend changing, but rather, increasing.

Counselors are in Gary's listing of the 30 fastest growing jobs for 2014 so you may be right, that plus all of the medical insurance deals out there now could make you exactly right brother. Being a wrench turner myself however, makes me teensy bit hesitant to put much stock in the prediction, but one never knows until the pink slip comes through though.

You have to be very careful to look at the careers that are growing.Many are slowly being deleted because of technology.

I think I'm back to counseling...

...its what I'm good at. I have loads of social science related credits (over 60). I need enough courses so I can build a much, much better gpa and maybe do a masters (sigh) or M.Div (in a lot of states, you can get a license to counsel on top of an M.Div).

That's a ways off...for right now, I need to focus on finishing A degree in something potentially useful that will help me become autonomous.

I think I'm back to counseling...

...its what I'm good at. I have loads of social science related credits (over 60). I need enough courses so I can build a much, much better gpa and maybe do a masters (sigh) or M.Div (in a lot of states, you can get a license to counsel on top of an M.Div).

That's a ways off...for right now, I need to focus on finishing A degree in something potentially useful that will help me become autonomous.

I think that's a big consideration and you're thinking right...It's what you're good at, so do that. How easy is it to hang out your own shingle in this trade?

well...here's what's scary about mental health: surprisingly easy.

I mean, you hear "masters degree," and it sounds hard, but...there are so many places to get either a masters in counseling or an M.Div. I don't know about the M.Div, but the counseling masters can= a state job right off the bat. Then, you can get the LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor) on top, which enables you to bill insurance and stuff as an independent entity. You can also work for private practice shrinks with an LPC.

I say "scary" because...wow. There's lots of frighteningly judgmental, harsh, ungodly, pompous people at all levels of The Mental Health Industry. And many of them do terrible things. Happened to me. And, for whatever reason, mental health people have solidarity, so they protect even the worst amongst their ranks. Sigh.

But, hey...I gotta be autonomous, I gotta work with my skills, talents, and abilities (and existing credits), and I don't plan on victimizing people. So...mental health it is.

You're prolly right. The best professionals in any trade are ones who've 'been there done that'. I don't think I'd like a state job though. Everything being dictated to you about how to do your job, and if anything goes awry they always look for someone to throw under the bus.

Maybe not. I've been praying and praying for guidance, right? Right. So, it dawned on me..I was a completely different person back when I got all these fluffy, social science credits. A good many of them can be used towards a business degree, just not as many as if I were to do psychology.

I have 5 years misdemeanor probation. I'm down 7 months. In the remaining 4.5 years, I could get an undergrad in business and possibly a masters (online w/ liberty, of course). I could actually get a job with an undergrad degree in business, which is something that just doesn't happen with an undergrad in psychology. Also, with a masters in many aspects of business, your mid-career average salary is considerably higher than a comparably educated "mental health professional." And I'd get to avoid reliving my past while going through school. And I'd have a really, really marketable degree(s) and skill set.

My misdemeanor is to be expunged, as long as I stay on my best behavior. Probation could possibly be cut short a bit, but I'm not counting on that. I'm well-behaved and everything, but...I infuriated powerful people (shrinks), so...let's just count on 5 years, lol.

State jobs appeal to me at some levels, frighten me at others.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back