Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Unauthorized Marriage Covenants?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

adelphos

I am personally becoming more and more convinced that ONE of the reasons that marriages are falling apart in our country is because of a violation of a very fundamental truth. I am sure that I will meet with much opposition to this conviction because so many of us have bought into it hook, line, and sinker, but here it goes.

In Exodus 23:32-33, God warned the people of Israel not to make a covenant with the nations whose land they were going to enter:

"Do not make a covenant with them or with their gods... the worship of their gods will certainly be a snare to you."

When a man and woman decide to marry in the United States (as well as many other countries), they acquire a license to marry by the State. However, most believers do not read the marriage laws of that State that specifically pertain to their licensing approval. Whether the average believer recognizes it or not, they have made a covenant with that State which gives the State 100% authority over that marriage, their children, assets, etc... Contrary to clear Scriptural admonition against making such covenants. It should also be understood that before about 1850, couples were not required to be acquire a license to get married from the State. Is this also an eroding of our rights to marry without government intervention?

If we make a solemn agreement with people who are under the power of ungodly laws about marriage, are we not placing ourselves under that same power. A Scriptural study on marriage demonstrates clearly that a man and woman has the right to enter into a solemn holy covenant without government permission, licensing, or approving of a solemn covenant between a man and a woman.

Furthermore, to encourage more Scriptural reflection, one will note that there is no singular verse, passage, text, etc, that promotes the unbiblical idea that a man and woman are to have a wedding ceremony performed by a pastor, elder, rabbi, etc.. this is a doctrine of men.

Many of us believers proclaim that the Bible is the final authority for all faith and practice, what happened here?

Respectfully

Adelphos

Whether the average believer recognizes it or not, they have made a covenant with that State which gives the State 100% authority over that marriage, their children, assets, etc...
Please offer some clarification for this.

I usually figure the marriage license didn't do much more that provide a legal contract between the husband and wife recognized by the state as a union for tax purposes and property rights and custodial rights of the children. For example, I've been married twice. When I was divorced from my first wife our agreement left me with the house we bought together. I lived there for two years and then rented it out for 10. Five years after my divorce I remarried. Ten years after I remarried I finally found a buyer for the home and although I owned the property 15 years before I even knew my 2nd wife, the fact that we were married gave her joint ownership of the home and she had to authorize the sale of the property.

Our marriage license granted my 2nd wife legal rights to property I owned before we were married. The state had very little to do with my divorce other than to provide legal grounds for my ex-wife and/or the county to administer and collect child support payments from me because she had physical custody of our son even though we shared joint legal custody. My ex-wife and I negotiated all of our differences without benefit of attorney, which is how we both wanted it.

Licensing and Biblical Marriage

Hi,

I think that most believers look at obtaining a state license is merely for tax purposes. Black’s Law Dictionary defines "license" as, "The permission by competent authority to do an act which without such permission, would be illegal." I think the first question U.S. believers, in particular, should ask is this: Why should it be illegal to marry without State's permission? Until the 1850s, one could be married in the United States without acquiring "permission." What ever happened to certain unalienable rights? Do humans have a right to marry as much as they have the right to have children? If God instituted marriage (Gen. 2:18-24), why do we need to acquire the State's permission for something that God has ordained? What is the difference between asking permission to marry and asking permission to have children? Do not children effect our taxes? From a pure Scriptural position, the State cannot grant the right to marry any more than they can grant the right to have children (Although China controls child bearing in their laws). Marriage is a God given right - period.

Marriage laws in any country is crap when viewed in light of Scripture. A marriage is a covenant between a man and a woman by God, which has no middle man or any other law governing.

The government laws regarding marriages are actually for property settlement, inheritance etc, nothing to do with the actual marriage covenant created by God.

Hence, according to scriptures, you can take a wife without a pastor or registering with government which is perfectly valid in scripture. A man can take a virgin to make her as his wife just by having sex with her consent. e.g., Issac and Rebecca.

Even without her consent, although it is rape, according to scripture, she becomes his wife. This is why the law states the man to take her as his wife and never divorce.

Marriage laws in any country is crap when viewed in light of Scripture. A marriage is a covenant between a man and a woman by God, which has no middle man or any other law governing.

The government laws regarding marriages are actually for property settlement, inheritance etc, nothing to do with the actual marriage covenant created by God.

Hence, according to scriptures, you can take a wife without a pastor or registering with government which is perfectly valid in scripture. A man can take a virgin to make her as his wife just by having sex with her consent. e.g., Issac and Rebecca.

Even without her consent, although it is rape, according to scripture, she becomes his wife. This is why the law states the man to take her as his wife and never divorce.

Well, unfortunately, the government laws in US are more than laws regarding property settlements, they meddle with a family contrary to God's very Word. For example, if one partner commits adultery, the innocent party may be punished. This, BTW, goes against Scripture that encourages to love justice.

Respectfully,

Adelphos

Well, unfortunately, the government laws in US are more than laws regarding property settlements, they meddle with a family contrary to God's very Word. For example, if one partner commits adultery, the innocent party may be punished. This, BTW, goes against Scripture that encourages to love justice.

Respectfully,

Adelphos

I don't understand. If one partner commits adultery, how will the innocent party punished? Who is that innocent party? The other partner or the other person with whom the partner committed adultery?

I don't understand. If one partner commits adultery, how will the innocent party punished? Who is that innocent party? The other partner or the other person with whom the partner committed adultery?

Well, there are a many examples. I will give you one. The wife commited adultery against her husband. The husband, who was the innocent party, desired to have physical custody. The court chose the guilty party, thus, blessing her adultery (or, in reality, ignoring it). Even if the death penalty for adultery is not to be practiced under the New Covenant, the principle lying behind it should be, in my opinion.

Respectfully

Adelphos

Well, there are a many examples. I will give you one. The wife commited adultery against her husband. The husband, who was the innocent party, desired to have physical custody. The court chose the guilty party, thus, blessing her adultery (or, in reality, ignoring it). Even if the death penalty for adultery is not to be practiced under the New Covenant, the principle lying behind it should be, in my opinion.

Respectfully

Adelphos

I believe we are discussing about 'Marriage Covenants'. In my opinion, if physical custody is not given for a 'true' christian husband who desires it, it is not an accidental happening nor happened without the will of God. It is for his good. You could never know the very child he desires could be a troublesome for him in future (Or) God will do a miracle in a way the same court will take the child and give it to him in a completely unexpected scenario. God is wonderful and His judgement is righteous. All we need to do is just trust Him and he will do the rest in any tough laws. Daniel and his friends not just survived, but was honored by the same king who put the same tough laws in Babylon.

Back