Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Photographs Uncle Sam

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
UncleSamRange.jpg

I like these old ads and posters, they represent hopes and attitudes and assumptions of their time. The Uncle Sam Range ad, in particular, strikes me as filled with allusions to American pride, world ambition, future prosperity, etc.

A poignant part of the range ad is the small black man (boy?) tending to the roasting turkey. It tells us something about the still racist attitudes of the time, and the way white Americans thought of the role of blacks as servants. Prejudices are much harder to identify, and see the damage they do, while we're in the times and much more easily recognized by later generations.

I thought of this recently when I was talking to a black friend about our favorite books. We were discussing To Kill a Mockingbird, that great Harper Lee novel of the 60s. It's an iconic piece of work so totally right for the time it was written and had a great impact on the two of us. The theme of an innocent black man defended by a courageous white lawyer of great integrity, however, probably seems dated and naïve today. We no longer want to think of blacks as being submissive and dependent on white crusaders. We like our black literary characters to be strong, confident, more heroic, more independent and less submissive today. So the message of To Kill a Mockingbird, and particularly the role of the main black character, might not resonate as strongly today as it did for the youth of my generation, very much in the same way the main character in Harriet Beecher Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin is viewed so differently with the passage of time.

Uncle Sam's answer for the legalization of pot

View attachment 5936
right sure. if we refuse to treat them, fine that cancer in the lungs isn't cheap. use you pay. we both know that will never happen. we tax nicotine and that isn't going pay for that treatments. veterans alone that aren't even 5% of the population costs the government 5 billion dollars for their cancer treatments and other ailments associated with nicotine.

lol, freddy flinstone. name the original voice actor of fred. there are two. one died in the 70's and the other one died recently.

lol, freddy flinstone. name the original voice actor of fred. there are two. one died in the 70's and the other one died recently.
Fred-Alan Reed'
Wilma-Jean Vander Pyl' she is from Philadelphia by the way
Barney-Melvin Jerome
"Mel" Blanc
Betty-Beatrice “Bea” Benaderet

Back