Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Unclean spirits!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
C

Chris

I have theory regarding the use of the term unclean spirit in the bible.

Could it just be that the term unclean spirit meant a generic term for unexplainable physical phenomenon rather than always meaning it is demonic?

Think about it a first century person is looking at an epileptic seizure. What does he call that an epileptic event? No probably an unclean spirit has seized him maybe.

From what I remember reading thees stories unclean spirits and physical healing seemed to go hand in hand. This makes me think the term unclean spirit may refer to physical illness more than demon possession at every instance.

The bible is very clear about those with demon possession It is noted as that.

what do you think?

What I'm after I what you think the authors concept of unclean spirit is not ours

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Mark 5:1-13, unclean spirits are quite able to infest not only human hosts, but also beasts.

But those kinds of unclean sprits are the sensational kind. The silent killers are the ones that cannot be detected with any of the five human senses of sight, hearing, smell, touch, or taste; nor with scientific instruments like CatScans, MRI's, oscilloscopes, X-rays and/or infrared imaging equipment.

†. Eph 2:1-3 . . As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient.

There's a line of dialogue in the first of the Matrix series of movies where Morpheus informs Neo that victims cannot be convinced they are prisoners of the Matrix until they after they're rescued from it. So it is with the Eph 2:1-3 category of demon possession.

Look around you at the people you encounter at the mall, the doctor's office, the dentist, the freeway, the gas station, the grocery store, the employees and supervisors where you work for a living, on the sidewalk, in your own home, and among your own friends, relatives, and acquaintances. Many of them are infested and don't know it. If we could see the unclean spirits hiding out in their bodies; I think we'd go mad with a case of nerves because there are so many; and exorcism is not a guaranteed method for eradicating them.

†. Luke 11:24-26 . .When an unclean spirit comes out of a man, it goes through arid places seeking rest and does not find it. Then it says to itself : I will return to the house I left. When it arrives, it finds the house swept clean and put in order. Then it goes and takes seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there. And the final condition of that man is worse than the first.

C.L.I.F.F.
<O:tongue</O:tongue|

†. Luke 11:24-26 . .When an unclean spirit comes out of a man, it goes through arid places seeking rest and does not find it. Then it says to itself : I will return to the house I left. When it arrives, it finds the house swept clean and put in order. Then it goes and takes seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there. And the final condition of that man is worse than the first.
You hit the nail on the head

Guys this might seem like a bizarre concept of mine but in no way am i saying mention of unclean spirit in those times did not mean demonic involvement.

I am just playing with the idea In those times a less educated person might describe a horrific sickness or cancer, mental things like panic attack or depression or seizure with a generic "unclean spirit" for "I dont know how else to describe that" i wondered if it was a common practice in those times demonic or not.

Before anyone reads anything into it I am not trying to discount biblical records in any way.

Jesus would have been sensitive to what was demonic 100%

I've always thought it curious that belief in, and acceptance of, demonism was so common in the Israel of that day. Possibly one of the reasons was that the religious elite were having a measure of success with exorcism.

†. Mtt 12:26-27 . . And if I drive out demons by Beelzebub, then by whom do your followers drive them out?

C.L.I.F.F.

I've always thought it curious that belief in, and acceptance of, demonism was so common in the Israel of that day. Possibly one of the reasons was that the religious elite were having a measure of success with exorcism.

†. Mtt 12:26-27 . . And if I drive out demons by Beelzebub, then by whom do your followers drive them out?

C.L.I.F.F.
<o:tongue|
thats it! that's what I was taking about except that maybe to those dudes everything that don't look right is therefore a demon. How could you sense it without the holy spirit in you?
</o

How could you sense it without the holy spirit in you?
The exorcists that the Lord mentioned at Mtt 12:26-27 were having a measure of success. From that; I gather it isn't necessary to have God's Sprit "in you" in order to suspect the presence of demonic activity. For example : in the final weeks of her life, Mother Teresa was very disturbed and behaving strangely. At the urging of Henry D'Souza, at that time Archbishop of Calcutta, she agreed to an exorcism— performed by Father Rosario Stroscio —if perchance demons were clouding her mind. Apparently they guessed correctly because afterwards Teresa was reported to be calm and peaceful.

The category of demonic activity reported in Eph 2:1-3 would of course be nigh unto impossible to sense without the gift of spirit detection.

†. 1Cor 12:7-10 . . But the manifestation of The Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. For to one is given by The Spirit . . . discerning of spirits.

C.L.I.F.F.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back