Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Under The Anointing

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Bonairos

“Under the Anointing†is a descriptive phrase I hear primarily used in Pentecostal/Charismatic circles. It is used apart from someone being “anointed†for a specific service or work.

Whereas being anointed is more or less the favor and blessings of God being upon a person’s life and work, “under the anointing†is more so used to describe a specific moment in which an individual is consumed by the presence of God.

Having said that, here’s my question. “Have you experienced being 'under the anointing' of God?â€

Be blessed, Stay blessed, and be Bold!

Hey Bonairos!

I am part of the Catholic Charismatic Renewal. I'm not sure I've ever heard any of my charismatic friends use the term "under the anointing” as you define it - it's not an expression we use.

However, I have had plenty of Holy Spirit experiences. A couple of biggies:

One of my best friends was miraculously healed of a 20 year meth addiction on a weekend retreat. He never used again, never went through withdrawls, never went through any kind of rehab. Anyone who knows anything about meth addiction will realize how incredible this is.

Another of my best friends, and the godfather of my youngest child, was also changed while resting in the Spirit. It was a kind of St. Paul experience - he saw a bright light and was engulfed in God's love. At the time he was an atheist and a very angry, mean person. He was changed, converted and now spends a lot of time working in ministry telling others how Jesus changed his life.

As for my personal experiences, I have been given many little graces since I dedicated my life to walking with Jesus. I don't know if I've ever been "consumed" by the presence of God, but I have had many moments where I've felt the incredible love of God, incredible peace, incredible calm, incredible joy.

Amazing grace, my friend! Amazing grace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Bonairos!

I am part of the Catholic Charismatic Renewal. I'm not sure I've ever heard any of my charismatic friends use the term "under the anointing†as you define it - it's not an expression we use.

However, I have had plenty of Holy Spirit experiences. A couple of biggies:

One of my best friends was miraculously healed of a 20 year meth addiction on a weekend retreat. He never used again, never went through withdrawls, never went through any kind of rehab. Anyone who knows anything about meth addiction will realize how incredible this is.

Another of my best friends, and the godfather of my youngest child, was also changed while resting in the Spirit. It was a kind of St. Paul experience - he saw a bright light and was engulfed in God's love. At the time he was an atheist and a very angry, mean person. He was changed, converted and now spends a lot of time working in ministry telling others how Jesus changed his life.

As for my personal experiences, I have been given many little graces since I dedicated my life to walking with Jesus. I don't know if I've ever been "consumed" by the presence of God, but I have had many moments where I've felt the incredible love of God, incredible peace, incredible calm, incredible joy.

Amazing grace, my friend! Amazing grace.

Right-on my brother. It was some 28 years ago that I attended a Great Commission meeting in Hawaii and was baptized in the Holy Spirit.

And check it out, it was a Charismatic Catholic Priest who laid hands on me and BOOM! HAHA!

Sometimes, with all the bickering back and forth, it's good to just have a thread to talk about our super-natural experiences with the Holy Ghost!

Awesome! You don't happen to remember the Priest's name?

Of course I do. It was Father Eli from St. Rita's Parish in Nanakuli. I grew up on the coast, my wife's family are very much acquainted with him.

Though the Great Commission Fellowship was not a Catholic ministry, it did draw many from all walks into a greater understanding of the Holy Spirit and His ministry. If I remember right (I was 20 at the time) I heard about the ministry through the 700 Club.

My bible associates anointing with teaching (what one has been taught by the Lord). Yes I have been anointed. I am glad I came across an old theologian who wrote the book (in my signature) about 100 years ago. His name was J. H Allen and he wrote a book dealing with Israel. Google his name sometimes. It's even in Wikipedia.

I am not afaid to say I am a Chistian whom some would label a Pentecostal Charismatic. I won't argue or demean anyone else for what they believe. I have been anointed but am not sure you could say I've been under the anointing. I am called to lay hands on the sick.

Interesting responses.

I suppose either I wasn’t clear(er) in the OP or that I just had the privilege of being around diverse Christians and their manner of expressing things.

As I stated, “Under The Anointing†is just a descriptive phrase (and not a theological one) used to describe a moment when it seemed it was all God flowing through you at a specific time. It might have been when someone was preaching the Gospel and not only what they said, but the manner in which it was said was just spot on (for lack of better words). It might be when a profound revelation came into view.

It might have been when you shared something and then thought, “Wow! Where did that come from? It sure wasn’t me!†Or laying hands on the sick and you knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that you were only the instrument that the Lord used to flow through.

Times when (in the midst of an action) God took over. Yet this is not to say that you lost control of your faculties or had no idea what was taking place. And no, for some who might misunderstand, I am NOT talking about being in a trance.

It’s a time when God chose to consume you with His presence and flow through you (untainted) to fulfill (whatever it was) He saw fit to do in that moment. . . “under the anointing.â€

Some may know what I am trying to relay, still others may not. Yet it is all good.

bonairos are you talking about being under the annoiting yourself or teachers etc being under. being in the annoiting is wierd in that when i have been lead to read scripture the hs will jump me from verse to verse and they will line up, yet i cant know he does it, he just does.

i will see a verse and pray and he leads me to the verse that back it up.

is this what you mean?

Guess you would say yes. When I lay hands on people it is people I am directed to and the power flows out through my hand. It is not me. It is the power of God. I guess I musunderstood you earlier. When the power is flowing I just know who needs the touch. It doesn't happen on cue. It is time when it is time. I couldn't decide that at 8 oclock this will happen. It is funny because some people misunderstand this and think I should lay hands on people at a certain time everyday like on tv.

When I lay hands on people it is people I am directed to and the power flows out through my hand. It is not me. It is the power of God. I guess I misunderstood you earlier. When the power is flowing I just know who needs the touch. It doesn't happen on cue. It is time when it is time. I couldn't decide that at 8 oclock this will happen. It is funny because some people misunderstand this and think I should lay hands on people at a certain time everyday like on tv.

As an ex-pentecostal i would like to know if you have any scripture to support what you are saying? And why is it Luke who wrote Luke and Acts was known as a physician? He did not have the healing, laying on the hands gift. Why is it that the healing gifts did not continue for centuries until the modern charismatic movement took of? Do you think what you are doing is really from God?

As an ex-pentecostal i would like to know if you have any scripture to support what you are saying? And why is it Luke who wrote Luke and Acts was known as a physician? He did not have the healing, laying on the hands gift. Why is it that the healing gifts did not continue for centuries until the modern charismatic movement took of? Do you think what you are doing is really from God?
ok. i counter since you like chict tracts. what make you sure that God is going to use isreal again? that is based on more modern interpretations since the miid to late 1800's before then it wasnt believed.

and uh there are miracles and those that believed in the holy spirit. its actually older then america , say since the colonies.

God doesn't just want to live in us but also through us.

I have experienced being under the anointing many times...a spiritual gift will become manifest through the quickening of the Spirit in the moment.

There is also a sustained walk in the light that could be called the same. This is where you walk in an anointing for sustained periods of time...not just a momentary visitation of the Spirit. I have experienced this as a shimmering light and a view of things as they look through that light. When I first was baptized in the Spirit I walked like this for 3 days...until I wanted it to stop! That was in 1980.

I know that my gift is from God. I will not justify it to any man.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back