Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Understanding apocalyptic language...

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
What translation do you suggest is the "purest" translation?
Young's Literal Translation. I don't use it for study. I use it to check the accuracy of other translations.

Here's a typical example:

The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death. 1 Cor 15:26 (KJV)

Now, this same verse from Young's:

the last enemy is done away--death; 1 Cor 15:26 (YLT)

Now, looking at these two renditions of this verse, which most closely agrees with what Paul wrote here:

But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel: 2 Tim 1:10 (KJV)

The King James Version sets the abolition of death into some indefinite future in I Corinthians 15:26 while Young's translation of I Corinthians 15:26 agrees with Paul's words to Timothy that death is already abolished ("is done away.")

If you don't know Greek or Hebrew, a solid, word-for-word translation is the next best thing and, in my opinion, Young's Literal is it. Young's will make your eyes bleed if you try to read any significant amount of it, but where it shines is exposing ecumenical or evangelical bias in these newer translations. Even the venerable NASB, my preferred study bible is not without its flaws (as I will demonstrate in a later post.)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back