Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Understanding English

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Corn Pop

Why is the English language so manipulating?.

I mean lets start a word like "our".

Now put a letter in front of it or something and it sounds the same, now you got say

Sour
Hour
Flour

But then you put a Y or a P in front it and suddenly it completely changes.

Your
Pour

But it gets even worse, completely change to any letters and say you got the word "power". So why is power not spelt "Pour" so it can be in harmoney with sour and hour and flour?

What on earth is going on?. Whoever made these words why did they not just make it simple?.

Last edited:
Why is the English language so manipulating?.

I mean lets start a word like "our".

Now put a letter in front of it or something and it sounds the same, now you got say

Sour
Hour
Flour

But then you put a Y or a P in front it and suddenly it completely changes.

Your
Pour

But it gets even worse, completely change to any letters and say you got the word "power". So why is power not spelt "Pour" so it can be in harmoney with sour and hour and flour?

What on earth is going on?. Whoever made these words why did they not just make it simple?.
English students agree with you.
Italian is easy. You write what you say. Once you know the alphabet you can read Italian.

BUT
There are 13 tenses and 3 pronouns for the conjugation.
Fun stuff!

Why did you delete your post!
Put it back on!!
:)

Like phobias for example and when someone has a phobia of say long words? The feeling of shame or fear or ridicule for mispronouncing long words that may cause someone distress or anxiety.

If someone has the phobia of long words, in the english language its called

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia.

Its in the dictionary.

I mean why on earth would someone give that word to people with the fear of long words?. Could the fear of long worlds not simply be called "the fear of long words" ?.

What on earth is going on with the english language?.

Last edited:
Like phobias for example and when someone has a phobia of say long words? The feeling of shame or fear or ridicule for mispronouncing long words that may cause someone distress or anxiety.

If someone has the phobia of long words, in the english language its called

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia.

Its in the dictionary.

I mean why on earth would someone give that word to people with the fear of long words?. Could the fear of long worlds not simply be called "the fear of long words" ?.

What on earth is going on with the english language?.
It's actually very funny...
to let a VERY LONG WORD mean fear of very long words!

I thought it was supercalafragilisticexpealidocious.

More than one long word!
Much to fear.
:lol

It's actually very funny...
to let a VERY LONG WORD mean fear of very long words!

I thought it was supercalafragilisticexpealidocious.

More than one long word!
Much to fear.
:lol

It just makes no sense. I mean if someone has the condition they are never going to use the word ever so whats the point?.

When is anyone ever going to say are "Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia"?

Never.

The english language has issues, its mentally challenged.

I mean take the word "Physical".

Why is the "Ph" there?, it makes no sense. It should start with a "F" .

Now take the word "Laugh". What on earth is a "gh" on the end for when "gh" does not make a "f" sound ?, it should be "Lauf".

How do you get a "f" sound out of "gh" and "ph"?

Last edited:
It just makes no sense. I mean if someone has the condition they are never going to use the word ever so whats the point?.

When is anyone ever going to say are "Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia"?

Never.

The English has issues, its mentally challenged.

I mean take the word "Physical".

Why is the "Ph" there?, it makes no sense. It should start with a "F" and be Fisical.

Now take the word "Laugh". What on earth is a "gh" on the end for when "gh" does not make a "f" sound ?, it should be "Lauf".

How do you get a "f" sound out of "gh"?.
You won't get any argument from me King Dan!

I agree with all of the above.

And why is it LOVE....LUV
But this is MOVE ...MOOOV

Maybe English should be rewritten.
I mean it.

English is French ,Latin and low German Anglo Saxon mixed

The ph as an f is from French .

Well the french can take there ph back because its french and they speak french and its another language and it makes no sense in english so its not really needed when i can just use the letter F and it makes more sense to me. Thats my prefered pronouns, i mean letters and words and all that i choose.

I guess now i identify as trans-language. We have a new gender in the world. Lol.

Last edited:
English is French ,Latin and low German Anglo Saxon mixed

The ph as an f is from French .
Yes, it is a very mongrel language.
There are some interesting quirks such as:
1. The word cleave can mean two opposite things - to cut or to join.
As in a butcher cleaves a joint in two,
and "Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh."

2. A prefix "in" generally converts a word to the opposite as in vertebrate and invertebrate. But both flammable and inflammable both mean the same thing.

English had no grammar but in, I think the 18th or 19th century, grammarians tried to impose the Latin grammar rules on it.

There is a fascinating book on the subject - Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson.

Well the french can take there ph back because its french and they speak french and its another language and it makes no sense in english so its not really needed when i can just use the letter F and it makes more sense to me. Thats my prefered pronouns, i mean letters and words and all that i choose.

I guess now i identify as trans-language. We have a new gender in the world. Lol.
Photo , Phoenix, phones, phonetic lol

Btw all I posted are Greek words in origin

And whats with the word "colonel" ?, thats like a complicated language situation. What is that word all about.

Why not just be kernel.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back