Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Understanding Mary - Ever Virgin

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mungo

Understanding Mary - Ever Virgin

Although the Perpetual Virginity of Mary has never been formally proclaimed as a Marian Dogma of the Catholic Church, because of its universal acceptance and continued reference to it in Papal documents throughout the history of the Catholic Church (and at the 5th Ecumenical council), it has come to be accepted as a Marian Dogma. Consequently, it can be said that the perpetual virginity of Mary is a Catholic Dogma by virtue of the ordinary and universal Magisterium.

It was also accepted by the Orthodox and by the early "reformers".

Martin Luther:
"It is an article of faith that Mary is Mother of the Lord and still a virgin....Christ, we believe, came forth from a womb left perfectly intact." (Weimer, The Works of Luther, English Transl. by Pelikan, Concordia, St. Louis, v.11,pp. 319-320; v. 6 p. 510.)

"Christ...was the only Son of Mary, and the Virgin Mary bore no children besides Him..."brothers" really means "cousins" here, for Holy Writ and the Jews always call cousins brothers. (Sermons on John, chapters 1-4, 1537-39.)

"He, Christ, our Savior, was the real and natural fruit of Mary's virginal womb...This was without the cooperation of a man, and she remained a virgin after that." (Ibid.)

John Calvin:
"There have been certain folk who have wished to suggest that from this passage (Matt 1:25) that the Virgin Mary had other children than the Son of God, and that Joseph then dwelt with her later; but what folly this is! For the gospel writer did not wish to record what happened afterwards; he simply wished to make clear Joseph's obedience and to show also that Joseph had been well and truly assured that it was God who had sent His angel to Mary. He had therefore never dwelt with her nor had he shared her company....And besides this Our Lord Jesus Christ is called the first-born. This is not because there was a second or a third, but because the gospel writer is paying regard to the precedence. Scripture speaks thus of naming the first-born whether or not there was any question of the second." (Sermon on Matthew 1:22-25, published 1562.)

Ulrich Zwingli:
"I esteem immensely the Mother of God, the ever chaste, immaculate Virgin Mary....Christ...was born of a most undefiled Virgin." (Stakemeier, E. in De Mariologia et Oecumenismo, Balic, K., ed., Rome, 1962, p. 456.)

"I firmly believe that Mary, according to the words of the gospel as a pure Virgin brought forth for us the Son of God and in childbirth and after childbirth forever remained a pure, intact Virgin." (Zwingli Opera, Corpus Reformatorum, Berlin, 1905, in Evang. Luc., v. 1, p. 424.)

The next post will start the arguments for Mary's perpetual virginity. There are 6 of them.

Well, let me say this.
Gabriel told Mary she was FULL OF GRACE,,,or some translations have FAVORED ONE.

The NT does state, then, that Mary is God's favored one.
There must be a reason for this.
Perhaps because she was to be the mother of the 2nd Person of the Trinity?

Also, Gabriel did not say Mary HAD grace...he said she was FULL of grace.
If a person is full of something, there is no room for anything else.

A glass full of water has no room for some milk.

Eve said No to God
Mary said Yes to God
Her obedience to God was certainly from the beginning.

I have no problem accepting that Mary was conceived without original sin.

The cunning of the serpent was conquered
by the harmlessness of the dove...
Irenaeus 180AD

WIP
:popcorn clueless. Clearly, you don't know what 'grace ' means. Just going to sit back and watch all this bickering:whirl:chair. So glad to know the Lord is with me.:amenFeels good to know the truth.

Jesus was Mary's only Son and she remained a virgin for life and had no more children?

That's not scriptural and just a belief that is not based on scriptual fact.

Last edited:
The scripture uses the word 'suggenes' that means 'cousin' when referring to a family relative like Mary visiting Elizabeth.

Yet the word used when referring to Jesus brothers is "adelphos' that means brother and 'adelphe' that means sister.

If they were Jesus cousins the author would have probably used the word 'suggenes' to clarify as that means a cousin or family relative. Why mix up cousins and brothers.

Last edited:
Except Christ, who thinks MUCH of His Mother because she is the work of His Hands.
As far as scripture is concerned, there are only 3 times mentioned where the Messiah spoke to Mary. And He seemed to be a bit perturbed with her 2 of those times. The 3rd time He merely told her to look at her son. He never addressed her as mother but only as woman. Although He did know of the word when He told the disciple at the cross to look at his (the disciple's) mother.

Also, He only spoke 2 times with regard to what someone said about her and again His responses couldn't be considered very flattering.

There just never seemed to be any warmth shown between them.

As far as scripture is concerned, there are only 3 times mentioned where the Messiah spoke to Mary. And He seemed to be a bit perturbed with her 2 of those times. The 3rd time He merely told her to look at her son. He never addressed her as mother but only as woman. Although He did know of the word when He told the disciple at the cross to look at his (the disciple's) mother.

Also, He only spoke 2 times with regard to what someone said about her and again His responses couldn't be considered very flattering.

There just never seemed to be any warmth shown between them.
As I recall scripture only records one occasion when Jesus spoke to Paul, and Jesus wasn't very warm to him.
But that doesn't make Paul insignificant.

As I recall scripture only records one occasion when Jesus spoke to Paul, and Jesus wasn't very warm to him.
But that doesn't make Paul insignificant.
I was merely questioning God Is My Judge's comment that the Messiah thought much of Mary. I wasn't suggesting that it meant anything.

I was merely questioning God Is My Judge's comment that the Messiah thought much of Mary. I wasn't suggesting that it meant anything.
You don't think the Messiah thought much of His mother?
And that doesn't mean anything!

Jesus followed the commandments perfectly, as He was supposed to do.
One of them is to honor your mother and father.
Do you know why it says to HONOR them and not to LOVE them?

We're supposed to love everyone according to Jesus.
Love God
Love Your Neighbor
Love Yourself

Great psychology before it was in vogue.

But we only honor very specific persons.
We honor God.
We honor our spouse.
We honor our parents.
We honor our siblings.
I think that's about it.

Mary was a virgin when the Holy Spirit came upon her and she conceived Jesus. She did not stay a virgin after that and had many children. Mary was a sinner like all of us and she needed to accept Jesus as her Lord and Savior in order to be saved.

Mary was a virgin when the Holy Spirit came upon her and she conceived Jesus. She did not stay a virgin after that and had many children. Mary was a sinner like all of us and she needed to accept Jesus as her Lord and Savior in order to be saved.
Hi M,
I learned the above in the first Protestant church I attended.
It made so much sense at the time.
Since then I've studied a lot and I've come to this conclusion:
Mary was a young woman and a virgin when she conceived by the Holy Spirit.
I'm not convinced as to whether or not she remained one, but I would venture to say that she did not.
I don't know if she had many children.
Even protestant theologians are now saying that there's a good probability that Jesus' brothers and sisters might be half-siblings due to the fact that Joseph was older than Mary and he might have had other children.

I'm not willing to debate this...I just don't think we can know for sure.

What I do want to say is that I do not believe Mary was a sinner like we are.
I'd venture to state that God would not place His Son in a body that contained the sin nature.
It's just unthinkable to me. I believe Mary was saved and I'd go so far as to agree with the Catholic Church that she most probably was conceived without the sin nature.

I believe she was saved and sanctified before Jesus was born.

"Let those who think that the Church pays too much attention to Mary give heed to the fact that Our Blessed Lord Himself gave ten times as much of His life to her as He gave to His Apostles." - Fulton Sheen

"Let those who think that the Church pays too much attention to Mary give heed to the fact that Our Blessed Lord Himself gave ten times as much of His life to her as He gave to His Apostles." - Fulton Sheen
Maybe some churches pay too much attention -
but some churches don't pay ENOUGH attention...
And some downright demean her.

Maybe some churches pay too much attention -
but some churches don't pay ENOUGH attention...
And some downright demean her.

BIBLICAL-MARY-CATHOLIC-VS-PROTESTANT-MARY.jpg

I would but it's the OPs desire - and it's absolutely reasonable, maybe even a rule - that the posts remain on the topic's topic.
I think I know what the rules are.
If you don't care to respond, that's fine.

I just realized you're not Christian.
Sorry, you don't need to respond...
:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back