Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Very Cruel Torture

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Menno said:
Lewis W said:
Very cruel torture, even many Christians had to endure this very mean punishment.
http://www.medievality.com/torture.html

The saddest part is that Christians inflicted this type of torture onto others.

God, forgive us.

You did???!!! I didn't. I won't ask forgiveness for what others do, I can't nor can we take personal responsibility for what those that called themselves christians did.

GojuBrian said:
Menno said:
Lewis W said:
Very cruel torture, even many Christians had to endure this very mean punishment.
http://www.medievality.com/torture.html

The saddest part is that Christians inflicted this type of torture onto others.

God, forgive us.

You did???!!! I didn't. I won't ask forgiveness for what others do, I can't nor can we take personal responsibility for what those that called themselves christians did.

I did not say I was taking personal responsibility, but I can understand history and attempt to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I have to be honest in saying anyone who could perform these tortures most likely doesn't have a relationship with God. Just because some were a part of "The Church" doesn't mean they followed God. This is closer to something a sadistic serial killer would do. I cannot imagine a child of God putting someone else through this.

Timothy said:
I have to be honest in saying anyone who could perform these tortures most likely doesn't have a relationship with God. Just because some were a part of "The Church" doesn't mean they followed God. This is closer to something a sadistic serial killer would do. I cannot imagine a child of God putting someone else through this.

And yet it happened to the Anabaptists - from both the Roman Catholic Church and the Protestant Church (Calvin, Luther, Zwingilli)

Menno said:
Timothy said:

And yet it happened to the Anabaptists - from both the Roman Catholic Church and the Protestant Church (Calvin, Luther, Zwingilli)

Just because people who name themselves a christian and part of a religous group, hell just cause they go to church every sunday, doesn't mean they have a personal walk with God. Following religious rituals doesn't mean you have a walk with God, its more then that. I stand by my statement. I don't think anyone who could torture someone like that could have a walk with God at that time. Maybe they make a mistake once, but I cannot even fathom that. It takes a special screwed up individual to be a torturer or even to send someone to them knowing what they will endure.

Jesus said:
21 "Not everyone who says to Me, "Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22Many will say to Me in that day, "Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?' 23And then I will declare to them, "I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!'

Mathew 7:21-23

Timothy said:
Menno said:
Timothy said:

Just because people who name themselves a christian and part of a religous group, hell just cause they go to church every sunday, doesn't mean they have a personal walk with God. Following religious rituals doesn't mean you have a walk with God, its more then that. I stand by my statement. I don't think anyone who could torture someone like that could have a walk with God at that time. Maybe they make a mistake once, but I cannot even fathom that. It takes a special screwed up individual to be a torturer or even to send someone to them knowing what they will endure.

Jesus said:
21 "Not everyone who says to Me, "Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22Many will say to Me in that day, "Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?' 23And then I will declare to them, "I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!'

Mathew 7:21-23

I am not one to call into question the salvation of others. History shows that those who call themselves Christians have done terrible things. If I am not mistaken, our own American history has had issue with torture, and I have heard Christians in support of it's use.

menno we waterboard our own troops in training. all pilots are required to go through the sere school if i'm correct.

Nero performed the worst atrocities upon his victims; he did not just kill Christians, he wanted to make them suffer first. Nero enjoyed dipping the Christians in wax, and impaling them on poles around his palace, he would then light them on fire, and yell: "Now you truly are the light of the world." Nero also performed many other kinds of torture, often killing them in the Circus Maximus in front of large crowds of spectators where he did some of his most gruesome murders. Here he would wrap Christians up in animal skins and throw them to lions, or dogs who would then tear these men and women apart in front of thousands of entertained spectators. At other times he would crucify them, and after the crowd would get bored, he would set the Christians on fire.

We have no idea how many Christians lost their life under the Neronian persecution, but Historian Harold Mattingly tells us that Nero's persecution "lasted several years, was not confined to Rome but was practiced throughout the Empire, and cost the lives of a very large number [of Christians]." We also know that Nero's policy of persecution was practiced by many subsequent Emperors such as: Domitian, Valerian, and Dioclesian; who instituted the great persecution which would see thousand if not millions go through the worst kinds of tortures. One very interesting thing is that those Christians who were Roman Citizens did not face the same terrible death as Christians who were not. The Roman Government, by law, could not torture Roman citizens. The Apostle Paul, the most well known of the Christian evangelists, had to be beheaded because he was a citizen, and was therefore saved from much of the pain and torture, inflicted on the others.

In spite of Nero's brutality, his efforts to exterminate the Christians backfired. Many people came under the banner of Christianity during and after Nero's reign for various of reasons: Nero brought Christianity into the limelight, and people started hearing about it; before this time Christianity was a small sect, nothing more than a nuisance to the people. Secondly, many people died under Nero's persecution because they claimed that they had seen Christ resurrected from the dead. The Bible tells us that 500 people had supposedly seen Christ after he was resurrected from the dead, we do not know much about these men individually, but we do know that there was twelve men who were called Jesus' 'Twelve Apostles' who also claimed to have seen the resurrection, and of these twelve, eleven of them were put to death, simply because they would not recant that they had seen Christ resurrected from the dead. Of these twelve, at least one is very well documented: Peter was crucified in Rome by Nero; also Paul, who had claimed to see Christ later than the twelve, was beheaded by Nero. Many Romans could not believe that these men would die for a lie, so they began to accept Christian doctrine.

Although Nero's persecution may not have killed as many people as Hitler did, or as many people as died in the crusades, or in the Spanish Inquisition - the sheer brutality made this a true disaster of the worst kind. No person ought to be subject to the tortures that these men and women had to go through. These people did not merely have to die for their faith, they had to experience the worst kind of suffering that this world has to offer.
http://www.boisestate.edu/history/ncasner/hy210/nero.htm

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back