Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Violence in video games - canvassing opinion

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Grazer

I'm going to be writing a blog that will cover, among other things, violence in video games. I know that many play video games and I would like your opinion on the issue.

Do you think the age ratings for games should be raised (so what's currently a PEGI 16 becomes an 18) or should the existing laws be better enforced? Do video games need violence, is it just entertainment or should game makers be looking at other genres and working on them? Do you think Hollywood also needs to take a look at itself and the violence in their movies or are people are making too big a deal?

Any thoughts you have will be greatly appreciated. I will use them in my blog but will be used anonymously

Thank you :)

a significant part of gamers are getting bored of violence in games, and a lot of games are being made(and old ones dug up and appreciated)where violence plays an insignificant role or is nonexistent. before, we used to talk about how freedom of expression just is, too bad, so there will always be violence in videogames and noone can do anything about that in the end. but now we turn on ourselves in this regard: if we can express anything, why do we feel the need to express only things that lead to physical violence?

to many of you here, the face of videogames might be the commercials for the latest gun commercial wrapped in an interactive graphics demo. but there are new winds blowing, in the indie scene that is rapidly growing and merging with the commercial output and changing it.

The warnings are there on the labels ... folks are ignoring them. Or not bothering to pay attention to what their kids buy/play.

They could raise the ages but most parents don't pay attention anyway.

Violence is being pushed on kids younger and younger.. I was shocked and disgusted when the hunger games won movie of the year at the nickelodeon KIDS choice awards. I barely made it through that movie myself because the story line was disgusting on its own even without all of the gore. Children murdering eachother is okay to show our kids but when a child actually kills children in real life, well.. No one can understand why.

I think video games is just another brainwashed cult driven part of society. The whole world is a cult, choose your poison.

Violence in videogames as well as in other forms of the media is rampant. It has been desensitized within the last decade, prior to that it was shocking and controversial. Now it is all standard and gore is norm...we do have a simple rating system much like the film industry that can safeguard youth, but it is up to the parents to control it; if they can or will.

The digital age has really concreted violence and catapulted it heavily into our midst.

Ideally it is best to avoid it as it does not really bring any justice or depth to media material.

Praise be to GOD the heavenly father and his son lord JESUS CHRIST forever>>>>>>>>>>

Well according to hundreds of various studies...violence has no effect on a persons mind. Well, let me rephrase that. IT DOES have an effect on the brain on a neurologic level the same way eating something you really enjoy does or watching your favorite sport does. It's a temporary and completely natural effect that then reverts back to normal once you're done.

However, studies HAVE shown that the key element in what makes people violent while playing games (or watching sports) is in fact competition. We get so wrapped up in competing and wanting to win that it creates a very unhealthy aggressive behavior.

Competition in itself is not bad, but people need to learn how to deal with it in a healthy way.

This comes from someone who has played video games most of his life (i'm 35 now). Violence in games doesn't bother me in the slightest. But when it comes to REAL LIFE violence, I can't handle it...I can't even watch the evening news, it bothers me too much. I'm highly sensitive to seeing violence...in real life.

Violence is being pushed on kids younger and younger.. I was shocked and disgusted when the hunger games won movie of the year at the nickelodeon KIDS choice awards. I barely made it through that movie myself because the story line was disgusting on its own even without all of the gore. Children murdering eachother is okay to show our kids but when a child actually kills children in real life, well.. No one can understand why.

Actually, it's been shown in most violent crimes the killer is often someone who has had very little parental guidance and/or is very isolated.

Actually, it's been shown in most violent crimes the killer is often someone who has had very little parental guidance and/or is very isolated.

True! They are also more often than not on some sort of psych meds. Usually people on psych meds have abandonment issues or some sort of traumatic experience anyway.

You've stated that in [the] most violent crimes... meaning in the most violent of crimes such as murder etc... but when we turn to the crimes of violence that are committed the most we see another story:

Root Causes of Domestic Violence

Some people believe domestic violence occurs because the victim provokes the abuser to violent action, while others believe the abuser simply has a problem managing anger. In fact, the roots of domestic violence can be attributed to a variety of cultural, social, economic, and psychological factors. As a learned behavior, domestic violence is modeled by individuals, institutions, and society, which may influence the perspectives of children and adults regarding its acceptability. Abusive and violent behaviors can be learned through:

• Childhood observations of domestic violence;
  • One's experience of victimization;
  • Exposure to community, school, or peer group violence;
  • Living in a culture of violence (e.g., violent movies or videogames, community norms, and cultural beliefs).
  • Domestic violence is reinforced by cultural values and beliefs that are repeatedly communicated through the media and other societal institutions that tolerate it. The perpetrator's violence is further supported when peers, family members, or others in the community (e.g., coworkers, social service providers, police, or clergy) minimize or ignore the abuse and fail to provide consequences. As a result, the abuser learns that not only is the behavior justified, but also it is acceptable.

Psychopathology, substance abuse, poverty, cultural factors, anger, stress, and depression often are thought to cause domestic violence. While there is little empirical evidence that these factors are direct causes of domestic violence, research suggests that they can affect its severity, frequency, and the nature of the perpetrator's abusive behavior.51 Although there is debate among researchers regarding a definitive theory to explain domestic violence, there is little disagreement that it is an insidious problem requiring a complex solution.

Read more at the US Department of Health and Human Services
Administration for Children and Families

Chapter 3: The Basics of Domestic Violence
Child Protection in Families Experiencing Domestic Violence

Violence in video games doesn't make someone kill or hurt someone else. I have played video games and violent ones at that, (I'm 33 and still play games from time to time) and I don't go and kill people in real life, and none of the people I know that played the same games have done these things. People with very bad issues, whether it be not having God in their lives, bad personal lives, mental problems, and of course the sickness we all have, called sin, are what causes people to kill or hurt others. Not that I am condoning violence in video games, or suggesting that if I ever become a parent that I would purchase or allow these games to be played by my children, because I am not.

Just saying that people blaming movies or video games outright for these major issues is not the end all be all of the situation. People coming from broken homes and poor relationships with parents who didn't care, are far more apt to take blame for this. Again, not suggesting this is all down to bad parenting, because even kids from good homes do terrible things, but nevertheless, it does increase these issues from those types of environments.

You've stated that in [the] most violent crimes... meaning in the most violent of crimes such as murder etc... but when we turn to the crimes of violence that are committed the most we see another story:

Thank you for posting this Sparrow, I wish more people would take notice. It much better now though than 30 yrs. ago. At least now if reported the perp. goes to jail.

However, studies HAVE shown that the key element in what makes people violent while playing games (or watching sports) is in fact competition. We get so wrapped up in competing and wanting to win that it creates a very unhealthy aggressive behavior.

Competition in itself is not bad, but people need to learn how to deal with it in a healthy way.
this is a good point, think about how everything is about competition. essentially most games are(though co-operative games are becoming more common.) and im also talking about sports, think about the world simulated in a football field, very "us vs them", competetive, black and white. i think the problem of violence is much more larger in scope and causation than just videogames. this extends to school and work, our whole lives. it puts us on the edge and ready to defend, increasing hostile thoughts.

but remember this: i think, that videogames are violent, is a good indication of where we're at. games are made that sell, people are anxious and on the defense. and like i said, there is a growing demand on non-violent games with less competition.

I think that violence in video games is the same as violence in movies or any other media. One negative thing is that it desensitizes the populace in general to the horror of murder and abuse against another person. I wonder if there would be less violence in general if people were exposed to it less, because observers would be less tolerant of such acts and more willing to do something about it.

I wonder if there would be less violence in general if people were exposed to it less...

Or in alternative view would there be less violence in general if people were exposed to it more?

That's what "Scared Straight" is about, isn't it? Let people see and experience what that type of thing leads too personally. No, I'm not talking about locking up the innocent and putting them in prison but it is an interesting thought experiment, isn't it? Would that experience, seeing real life consequence of violence up close and in your face, have an impact? It did with at least one man that I know personally who cried like a baby while in a holding cell as he faced his first day in prison.

One of his neighbors did nothing more than whisper, "We are not your mommy," the lifer inmate said in hushed tones through the wall, "Stop your crying or we will stop it for you," and that was that. Not another sound was heard.

I wonder if there would be less violence in general if people were exposed to it less...

Or in alternative view would there be less violence in general if people were exposed to it more?

That's what "Scared Straight" is about, isn't it? Let people see and experience what that type of thing leads too personally. No, I'm not talking about locking up the innocent and putting them in prison but it is an interesting thought experiment, isn't it? Would that experience, seeing real life consequence of violence up close and in your face, have an impact? It did with at least one man that I know personally who cried like a baby while in a holding cell as he faced his first day in prison.

One of his neighbors did nothing more than whisper, "We are not your mommy," the lifer inmate said in hushed tones through the wall, "Stop your crying or we will stop it for you," and that was that. Not another sound was heard.

Real life, sure. I was referring to media however. We're pretty much maxed out concerning exposing people to violence through that medium.

We're pretty much maxed out concerning exposing people to violence through that medium [the media].

Your point that such things desensitize us is well made. Also true for what you said about competition. Many compete for control because they have neither harnessed nor directed their need to control themselves well.

I apologize, because I have only read the OP in this thread. I also apologize because I may seem like a hypocrite because I love video games, especially madden. But video games are part of the multimedia and they are terrible. My love for Madden (a football game) makes me the greatest coach ever! I have actually been a REAL football coach in college and I know better. I wasn't a great or even a good coach, but I was ok.

Video games are ok as long as they are taken for what they are.... Today they are nothing more than interactive movies. They all have a storyline you play out. Just like a movie. When someone can separate fantasy from real life, it's ok. There is a game called the Sims.... Fun game. But the game is just a bunch of people living a normal life. They go to the bathroom, have to cook, eat, clean, sleep, work, have social interaction.... In otherwords, it's a game that simulates life! You don't have to live a life, you can waste your time playing it on the computer or PS3!!!!

SO you have these violent video games..... Violence is part of our world and so is war. So is the military.... I am not a veteran, but I know plenty. It's an honor to be a soldier, but I don't find it glorious and I doubt the vets I know do either.

I long for the day when they make a video game that you score points for praising God! I'm a big fan of Dr. Ben Carson.... Let's have a game where you pull yourself out of the ghetto and become a celebrated doctor! It ain't gonna happen.... But opening a book will allow it to happen.

I think that violence in video games is the same as violence in movies or any other media. One negative thing is that it desensitizes the populace in general to the horror of murder and abuse against another person. I wonder if there would be less violence in general if people were exposed to it less, because observers would be less tolerant of such acts and more willing to do something about it.

It doesn't desensitize people in how they treat others. Isolation is what causes people to dehumanize others in their minds. Some of the nicest guys i've ever met play games like Call of Duty, etc... and these are God fearing, people loving types who help others daily. Their lives are not changes due to playing violent games and their need to help others isn't altered. Now, if they kept to themselves, isolated from others that would lead to a deumanization of others.

On a side note...some of the more recent violent offenders in the news had mental disabilities as well.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back