Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Walking By the Spirit: Basic Christian Living.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Nope. Entirely refutable. Just read my posts throughout this thread.

It was right that we should make merry and be glad, for your brother was dead and is alive again, and was lost and is found.’ ” Luke 15:32

Do the lost need salvation? Answer: Yes, of course. To try and claim the lost do not need salvation is to deny the Gospel.
  • was lost and is found.
Was the son physically dead?
  • for your brother was dead and is alive again

JLB

It was right that we should make merry and be glad, for your brother was dead and is alive again, and was lost and is found.’ ” Luke 15:32

Do the lost need salvation? Answer: Yes, of course. To try and claim the lost do not need salvation is to deny the Gospel.

I've never made such a claim.

• was lost and is found.
Was the son physically dead?
  • for your brother was dead and is alive again

Already asked and answered in this thread.

Jn 15:1-4

I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.

2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.

3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.

4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

You can’t say the branches are not saved (process of salvation) or not born again or spirit filled cos they were in Christ and connected to the vine!

The apostolic church is the mystical body of Christ.

A limb that has a cut off from the body dies, life remains with the body!

Serious Sin causes spiritual death and requires repentance before physical death makes the separation permanent. 1 Jn 5:16

Jn 15:6
If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

Matt 25:30
And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Lost not simply “out of fellowship”!

Nope. Saints sin. See 1 Corinthians 3, 5, 6, 11, 1 John 1:8-10, 1 John 2:1, Revelation 2-3, Romans 6:1-2, Galatians 3:1-3, etc.
So God's "fruit" is sinful ?
I can't agree.
It is written..."Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God." (1 John 3:9)

I asked a question. I didn't say you made a claim.

Do the lost need salvation?

Yes.

Does "lost" always mean the exact same thing in every context? NO.

Sally declares, "I've lost my appetite."

Bob is lost in wonder at the mountain vista before him.

Wendy has lost fifty pounds.

Harold has got lost in the woods and can't find his way out.

"Lost" in each of these instances is not used to communicate exactly the same thing. This is so, as well, in the way "lost" is used in Scripture.

So God's "fruit" is sinful ?

God isn't a tree.

I can't agree.

No one's said, "God's 'fruit' is sinful," so you don't have to agree or disagree.

It is written..."Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God." (1 John 3:9)

Out of context proof-text. John also wrote:

1 John 1:8-10
8 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.

1 John 2:1
1 My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous;

Also:

1 John 3:9-10 (NASB)
9 No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
10 By this the children of God and the children of the devil are obvious: anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor the one who does not love his brother.

and:

1 Corinthians 3:1
1 And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual men, but as to men of flesh, as to infants in Christ.

God isn't a tree.
Same principal
Just as grape vines cannot bear figs, neither can God's seed bear liars or thieves.
No one's said, "God's 'fruit' is sinful," so you don't have to agree or disagree.
Everyone who says "God's children commit sin" says it.
The seed from which we are regendered won't permit anything but godly people to be born of it, just as an apple seed won't allow anything but apples to be born of it.
Out of context proof-text. John also wrote:

8 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.

1 John 2:1
1 My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous;

Also:

1 John 3:9-10 (NASB)
9 No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
10 By this the children of God and the children of the devil are obvious: anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor the one who does not love his brother.

and:

1 Corinthians 3:1
1 And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual men, but as to men of flesh, as to infants in Christ.
"IF WE...".
The condition, and its results, are given by John.
Which will you walk in ?

Same principal
Just as grape vines cannot bear figs, neither can God's seed bear liars or thieves.

I've already gone over this with you in other threads and shown the mistakes you're making in your strict over-simplification of the seed/fruit analogies of the NT. The Holy Spirit is not a "seed" but a Person. We, too, are not plants, but people, distinguished from a flower, or thornbush, or potato in part by our free agency, our self-awareness. Perhaps more than anything else, this fact confounds your severe application of the seed-fruit metaphor.

Our being made in God's image rather than that of a plant, means, among other things, that we don't function in the uniform, linear, inflexible, seed-fruit way that a plant does. Obviously. An apple tree grows and produces apples, not bananas, or petunias; a rose bush grows and produces roses, not coconuts, or carrots; a cabbage does not produce daffodils. And so on. No apple tree, though, ever decides to produce apples, it just does; no rose bush chooses to produce roses, it just does; no cabbage plant determines to produce more cabbages, it just does. In contrast, not actually being plants, you and I do not act in this linear, mechanical, deterministic way in becoming who we are and deciding what "fruit" will emanate from our lives. Again, obviously.

And so, though you are the "seed" of your parents, you don't act precisely as they do, nor do you look exactly as they do; because you aren't a plant but a person with your own preferences, personality, experiences, beliefs and values. When, then, the Holy Spirit takes up residence within a person, there won't be the sort of simplistic, mechanical production of the "fruit" of who he is in the life of a believer. We are free agents, not puppets (or plants); we have our own minds, our own will and way, that must be consciously and repeatedly submitted to the Spirit's will and way, to his control, throughout each day (Romans 6:13-22; Romans 8:13-14; Romans 12:1; James 4:7; 1 Peter 5:6).

When this submission is not carefully maintained by the Spirit-indwelt believer, they unavoidably migrate into the sort of sinful, rebellious living described over and over again in the New Testament of born-again people (1 Corinthians 3, 5, 6, 11; Galatians 3:1-3; Romans 6:1-13; 1 John 1:8-10; Revelation 2-3, etc.). This lack of submission and migration into sin happens for all sorts of reasons, increasing the likelihood that the "fruit of the Spirit" may not manifest in their person and living. They may, as a consequence of being brand new to the faith, simply be profoundly ignorant of the content of their own faith, which is reflected in much waywardness and stumbling into sin; they may be the victim of false teachers and their false "doctrines of demons," and are led into sinful living as a consequence; they may have "besetting sins," chronic, deeply-set sinful habits of thought and conduct, that may require significant amounts of time to overcome. And so on.

For these reasons (and others unmentioned), it is highly simplistic and illegitimate to hold that the "seed" of God will always, inevitably produce corresponding fruit such that the person possessing God's "seed" will live a totally sin-free life. Not only is this deterministic and mechanical expectation childishly simplistic, it is also - as childish thinking often is - rather irrational. Besides all this, this expectation of an instantly sinless life is also patently unbiblical, as I've pointed out from Scripture. Saints do sin - sometimes a lot.

I know, of course, that you have no good rebuttal to any of this and will, therefore, resort to flat denial and contradiction, the lowest, weakest form of argument, as you've done all along. I've written the above, however, not to persuade you, a determined promoter of false doctrine, but to help those who may read through this thread to form an answer to your false doctrine hobby-horse.

When Jesus told that dreadful story in Matthew 7:21-23 that he did, his main emphasis was on "doing the will of the Father." Those who thought they'd been doing His will never said a word, though, about obeying His First and Great Commandment. A strange thing, eh? If I was going to make a case from my obedience to God for my entrance into His kingdom, I'd start with the command God says is at the top of the heap, the most important one. But they don't. They talk about other things, good things, but not the best thing, the first and great thing, that has to do with their heart, not their external conduct.

Of course it's the heart. No question.
Does a sinning heart want to honor and love God?
I'd say no----no matter at what point in life this happens.
Before salvation or after salvation.
If we fall back into a sinful life, then we must repent again.

Ephesians 2:8 states that we are saved by God's grace through faith.

If we have faith, we're saved.
If we do not have faith, how could we be saved?
Nowhere that I can think of in scripture is it stated that we could be saved without faith.
If you have a verse, let me know.

Jesus said that those who do good works - praying, giving tithes - for show have already received their compensation.
So we agree on that.
Anyway, it's obvious that one who is disobeying God, who has "turned away from Him," is not doing His will. But, I would point out that Jesus's story in Matthew 7:21-23 was given to Jews under the context of the Old Covenant. He had not yet atoned for mankind's sin

Can't agree with this Tenchi.
God knows no time constraints.
God had already resolved the problem of sin in the Garden.
Jesus has atoned for man's sin from the beginning of time.
Even those in the OT were saved because of Jesus atoning death.
ALL mankind is saved through the propitiatory death of Christ.
1 John 2:2
2and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.

and so said nothing in his Sermon on the Mount about having done so, about the need to trust in him as Savior and submit to him as Lord, about the indwelling, spiritually-regenerating, empowering Holy Spirit, about the "new and living way," the "New Covenant in his blood" that his work at Calvary would create (Hebrews 10:19-22; Luke 22:20), and the adoption of God of all those redeemed and reconciled to Himself through Jesus Christ. All of these things, though, make an enormous difference to what it means for a person to wander from God.

I don't understand what the difference would be.
I find it ironical that you would include Hebrews 10:19 for support of your belief.
Hebrews 10:23 warns us that we are TO HOLD FAST the confession of our hope without wavering.
Hebrews 10:28, 29 tells of how much worse it'll be for a man to spurn the son of God by returning to sinning and the law, much more so than having sinned at the time of Moses and the law.

26For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,
27but a terrifying expectation of judgment and THE FURY OF A FIRE WHICH WILL CONSUME THE ADVERSARIES. 28Anyone who has set aside the Law of Moses dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses.
29How much severer punishment do you think he will deserve who has trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has insulted the Spirit of grace?
30For we know Him who said, “VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY.” And again, “THE LORD WILL JUDGE HIS PEOPLE.” 31It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

I don't really know why you posted Luke 22:20
We are in the New Covenant.
We must REMAIN in the New Covenant in order to be saved at the end.
We must persevere.
We're member's of the Kingdom of God.
The Kingdom of God has regulations just like any Kingdom has.

The born-again child of God is connected to God in a way none of those under the Old Covenant were, none of those Jews to whom Jesus was speaking in his Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5-7 were reconciled and adopted by God as "joint-heirs with Christ," none could call out to Him "Abba! Father!" (Romans 8:15) as you and I can today. And so, in light of all these things, I don't read Matthew 7:21-23, as instructive, or pertaining, to born-again children of God, to those fully and eternally "accepted in the Beloved." (Ephesians 1:6; John 10:27-29)

I see what you mean now.

In the OT the Holy Spirit walked with those of God.
In the NT the Holy Spirit dwells with those of God.
If a person returns to a life of sin, can the Holy Spirit continue to dwell in him?

Jesus NEVER stated that all we need to do is believe in Him and we will be saved.
He said more statements like the following:

John 3:36
36“He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”

John 5:28
28“Do not marvel at this; for an hour is coming, in which all who are in the tombs will hear His voice, 29and will come forth; those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment.

John 15:6
6“If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned.

Does someone who has walked away from God fit into the above statements?
I believe so.

I don't know what you mean exactly by "little value"?

Being a daughter that does not obey God is of little value.
God desires our love and our obedience.
Jesus cannot only be our Savior,
He must be our Lord too.
Back to Matthew 7....Those who do the will of the Father.

The Parable of the Two Sons...
Which one did the Father's will?

All Jesus talked about was obeying God.

Your born-again status makes a huge difference, even when you might be wandering from your Heavenly Father. The lost sheep was found because it was the shepherd's sheep. The lost coin was searched for and discovered because it was the possession of the one who searched for it. Wayward though he'd been, the Prodigal Son returned to his father and was eagerly accepted by him because he was his father's son. And eternally, one's adoption has obvious and everlasting value.

Yes. But for the wayward believer this doesn't mean salvation-lost.

Not sure what you mean by wayward. So I'll wait for your reply.
I'm speaking of abandoning God. A conscious decision to not serve Him any longer.
I can absolutely say that, yes, God is always waiting for us....always looking for us.

It would be nice to discuss Luke 15 if you care to.

1 of 2

Tenchi

2 of 2

Yes, I'd agree with you here. But what is true for your son in his wandering from a God who is only his wrathful Judge (John 3:36) is not true for your daughter who knows God, not as Judge, but as her Heavenly Father. Being in God's family, a joint-heir with Christ, makes a big difference to how God deals with us when we grow rebellious. See Hebrews 12:5-11

Don't miss the point I was making.
A person is either with God or away from God.
No middle ground.

Persons that are not saved because they never had faith,
or because they've decided to abandon God, are not part of the family of God.

In either case, they are lost.

You give to yourself more power in your relationship to God here, than I think you have good grounds for doing. The salvation of any person is, in the final analysis, something that God does to/for them, not something they achieve for themselves. And like the work of God in other domains, God's work in saving us is not something we can reverse as we wish.
Are you saying that God forces us to remain with Him?
Are you saying that once we become saved we lose our free will to leave God if we no longer wish to serve Him?
Sounds a bit reformed and I know you're not reformed, so maybe you could think over the above statement?

Also, yes, I attribute to myself part of my salvation.
I'm a synergist.
We are saved by cooperating with God's rules.
He does have rules, and we are expected to keep those rules.

He didn't consult me when He decided to make me; I exist (forever) whatever feeling about doing so I may have and there's nothing I can do that will dissolve this fact. God made me a certain way physically and, again, He didn't consult me first, or give me the power to alter my physical dimensions, or sex, or the shape or placement of my liver, intestines, lungs or brain, etc., or who my parents or siblings are. When, then, God makes me a "new creature in Christ," He does not consult me about the nature or details of what He does, applying to me for any adjustments I'd like to make to His redemptive, spiritually-enlivening work. It's His work He's doing, after all, not mine, and so I have no direct power over how and what He does to save me.

Agreed. It's HIS work...
IF you allow Him to do the work.
Free will.

God will complete the good work He began in us.
IF WE ALLOW Him to.
Otherwise we're just puppets like the reformed believe us to be.

And so, just as I can't tell the brain surgeon whose removing my brain tumor how best to operate on me, directing the actual surgery he performs on me and its results, I can't direct God in the saving work He enacts in my spiritual second-birth. And just as I can't undo the life-saving, surgical results of the brain surgeon's work, I can't undo God's life-saving spiritual surgery that He performs on me in redeeming me from myself and making me one of His. It's done and can't be undone. Once in God's hand, NO ONE - not even I, myself - can take me out of His hand.

1 Corinthians 3:1, Galatians 3:1-3, Romans 6:1-3, 1 John 1:8-10, 1 John 2:1, Revelation 2-3. Saints sin. They don't cease to be saints when they do. It seems to me the NT is crystal clear about this.

Is this a warning of salvation-lost, though? Or is this the construction you've assumed is present in Paul's words? Is Paul speaking in verse 23 of salvation, or of being presented to God "holy, blameless and beyond reproach" at the Final Judgment? These aren't the same thing.

1 Corinthians 3:11-15
11 For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
12 Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw—
13 each one’s work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done.
14 If the work that anyone has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward.
15 If anyone’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire.

Here, Paul indicates that it's possible for one to stand before God on Judgment Day receiving no reward of any kind from Him, with the "smoke of hell on their clothes," who will still enter God's kingdom as one of His adopted children.

The reconciling, redeeming work of Christ in our lives is aimed at presenting us to God at the Final Judgment as people who are "holy, blameless and above reproach. But we have to participate in this, exercising faith in Christ's finished work, not being shifted from our settled confidence in our spiritual position in him by which we are made "partakers of the divine nature" in our daily experience (2 Peter 1:3-4). If we don't, we'll end up at the Final Judgment, not cast out from God, but bereft of any reward and "smelling of smoke." This is how I understand what Paul wrote to the Colossians.

Out of time for now. Will write more later.
It's too late and I won't be commenting on 1 Cor 3:15 since it has nothing to do with our salvation anyway.
You never replied to Colossians 1:19-23 and 2 Peter 2:20-22

I've responded to your verses.

Above you also listed these but there are too many. Pick a couple and we'll discuss.

1 Corinthians 3:1, Galatians 3:1-3, Romans 6:1-3, 1 John 1:8-10, 1 John 2:1, Revelation 2-3. Saints sin. They don't cease to be saints when they do. It seems to me the NT is crystal clear about this.

I've already gone over this with you in other threads and shown the mistakes you're making in your strict over-simplification of the seed/fruit analogies of the NT. The Holy Spirit is not a "seed" but a Person. We, too, are not plants, but people, distinguished from a flower, or thornbush, or potato in part by our free agency, our self-awareness. Perhaps more than anything else, this fact confounds your severe application of the seed-fruit metaphor.

Our being made in God's image rather than that of a plant, means, among other things, that we don't function in the uniform, linear, inflexible, seed-fruit way that a plant does. Obviously. An apple tree grows and produces apples, not bananas, or petunias; a rose bush grows and produces roses, not coconuts, or carrots; a cabbage does not produce daffodils. And so on. No apple tree, though, ever decides to produce apples, it just does; no rose bush chooses to produce roses, it just does; no cabbage plant determines to produce more cabbages, it just does. In contrast, not actually being plants, you and I do not act in this linear, mechanical, deterministic way in becoming who we are and deciding what "fruit" will emanate from our lives. Again, obviously.

And so, though you are the "seed" of your parents, you don't act precisely as they do, nor do you look exactly as they do; because you aren't a plant but a person with your own preferences, personality, experiences, beliefs and values. When, then, the Holy Spirit takes up residence within a person, there won't be the sort of simplistic, mechanical production of the "fruit" of who he is in the life of a believer. We are free agents, not puppets (or plants); we have our own minds, our own will and way, that must be consciously and repeatedly submitted to the Spirit's will and way, to his control, throughout each day (Romans 6:13-22; Romans 8:13-14; Romans 12:1; James 4:7; 1 Peter 5:6).

When this submission is not carefully maintained by the Spirit-indwelt believer, they unavoidably migrate into the sort of sinful, rebellious living described over and over again in the New Testament of born-again people (1 Corinthians 3, 5, 6, 11; Galatians 3:1-3; Romans 6:1-13; 1 John 1:8-10; Revelation 2-3, etc.). This lack of submission and migration into sin happens for all sorts of reasons, increasing the likelihood that the "fruit of the Spirit" may not manifest in their person and living. They may, as a consequence of being brand new to the faith, simply be profoundly ignorant of the content of their own faith, which is reflected in much waywardness and stumbling into sin; they may be the victim of false teachers and their false "doctrines of demons," and are led into sinful living as a consequence; they may have "besetting sins," chronic, deeply-set sinful habits of thought and conduct, that may require significant amounts of time to overcome. And so on.

For these reasons (and others unmentioned), it is highly simplistic and illegitimate to hold that the "seed" of God will always, inevitably produce corresponding fruit such that the person possessing God's "seed" will live a totally sin-free life. Not only is this deterministic and mechanical expectation childishly simplistic, it is also - as childish thinking often is - rather irrational. Besides all this, this expectation of an instantly sinless life is also patently unbiblical, as I've pointed out from Scripture. Saints do sin - sometimes a lot.

I know, of course, that you have no good rebuttal to any of this and will, therefore, resort to flat denial and contradiction, the lowest, weakest form of argument, as you've done all along. I've written the above, however, not to persuade you, a determined promoter of false doctrine, but to help those who may read through this thread to form an answer to your false doctrine hobby-horse.

If we have been born of God's seed, we cannot commit sin.
Why ?
Because His seed remains in us.
That is what 1 John 3:9 says, anyway.

BTW, if a man is lying when he says he has no sin, it must mean he does have sin...so is walking in darkness.
Had he been walking in God, (light), his claim would have been true, as there is no sin in God.

Why ?

BTW, if a man is lying when he says he has no sin, it must mean he does have sin...so is walking in darkness.
Had he been walking in God, (light), his claim would have been true, as there is no sin in God.

Nope. See post #70.

Nope. See post #70.
You must be one of those who actually thinks fig trees can bear grapes.
From Genesis on, seed has only brought forth after itself.
You are trying to convince me that God's seed can bear liars, murderers, thieves, and adulterers.
It can't.

Why ?

Cannot sin?

Why do we need to watch and pray? Matt 26:41
Resist the devil? James 4:7
Resist sin? Heb 12:4
Suffer for Christ’s sake Phil 1:29
Deny Thyself carry the cross Matt 10:38
1 pet 4:1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin.

Thks

Why this warning to avoid sin if Christians cannot sin?

Galatians 5:21-23
Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

You must be one of those who actually thinks fig trees can bear grapes.
From Genesis on, seed has only brought forth after itself.
You are trying to convince me that God's seed can bear liars, murderers, thieves, and adulterers.
It can't.

Nope. See post #70.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back