Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] Warming Up

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Your data that contradicts the Word of God?

God doesn't say anything about global temperatures in the 21st century. However, His creation does. As you learned, tropical plants are growing farther and farther north as the climate warms. "Liberal hibiscus?" Why not just reconcile yourself to the truth.

No thanks.

God is truth. A Christian should never be afraid of the truth. It's a bad idea to insert things like climate change into the Bible. That kind of thinking leads to an extremely watered down and corrupt Bible.

Uh-oh, the sun came out. Global warming. Global warming. Lol.

It seems to me that if global warming is occurring then the winters should be getting warmer and warmer also. I haven't looked at data, but recent winters have been better cold. Anyone got the data on winter mean temps to post?

Barbarian, you're holding up as evidence that plants are being able to grow further and further north, hence the planet is getting warmer, i.e., global warming is true...
Now I know you're a teacher and you know this stuff (lol)...so in fairness to the discussion, why didn't you include the (fact) info that scientist's have been engineering plants to be able to grow further north than previously?

:wink

Their efforts have been successful too...

I have it on good authority that global warming is true. The planet is getting warmer, and will continue to do so...until it catches fire and burns up...
Lol

Uh-oh, the sun came out. Global warming. Global warming. Lol.

It seems to me that if global warming is occurring then the winters should be getting warmer and warmer also.

Yep. Let's take a look for the same data for last winter. (Barbarian checks)

You're right. November and December 2015 were record hot months. So were January, Febuary, and March 2016.
http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/tabledata_v3/GLB.Ts+dSST.txt

Barbarian, you're holding up as evidence that plants are being able to grow further and further north, hence the planet is getting warmer, i.e., global warming is true...

Kinda hard to claim plants have a liberal bias.

Now I know you're a teacher and you know this stuff (lol)...so in fairness to the discussion, why didn't you include the (fact) info that scientist's have been engineering plants to be able to grow further north than previously?

But they haven't. Maple trees, for example, haven't been genetically modified. The same wild trees that were blooming later a few decades ago, are blooming earlier,as the climate warms up:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slat...d_climate_change_indicator_in_washington.html

You're right. November and December 2015 were record hot months. So were January, Febuary, and March 2016.

But they haven't. Maple trees, for example, haven't been genetically modified. The same wild trees that were blooming later a few decades ago, are blooming earlier,as the climate warms up:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slat...d_climate_change_indicator_in_washington.html

And of course, "heirloom varieties" are the same as those grown a century or more ago. And they are also growing farther north. The hardiness zones are moving as the climate warms.

Noo, the last few winters were cool. There couldn't have been record warmth the last two winters. Didn't seem like it was.

Don't dodge it by saying I have liberal bias with plants, lol. What are these tropical plants that grow so far north now?
Not maple trees. We had a maple tree in our yard when I was a kid in Ohio...so do they grow in Canada now?
Give an example of plants that did not grow north before, but do now...

Not blooming earlier or later, but did not grow but do now, in northern region...

Nice try though, lol

“What we’ve seen so far for the first six months of 2016 is really quite alarming. This year suggests that the planet can warm up faster than we expected in a much shorter time … We don’t have as much time as we thought.”
I don't know of anyone else, but doesn't the statement "We don’t have as much time as we thought." draw some sort of Red Flag that this person has no clue as to what they are attempting to feed us? in other words known as BULL. :shrug.

Noo, the last few winters were cool. There couldn't have been record warmth the last two winters. Didn't seem like it was.

Sorry, that's wrong. Remember, these are global temps, so your particular place might have been cool. But we're talking about the planet, not a particular town.

Don't dodge it by saying I have liberal bias with plants, lol.

It's just that the plants are more persuasive. Sorry.

What are these tropical plants that grow so far north now?

I notice palms are now possible in North Texas, for example. And at least some varieties now thrive here. Plants are rated by hardiness, and then the zones are plotted where the plants can thrive outdoors. And as you know, the zones have been moving north, which confirms the data from other sources.

Not maple trees.

Yep. Maples, too. Blooming earlier now, because it's warmer earlier.

I don't know of anyone else, but doesn't the statement "We don’t have as much time as we thought." draw some sort of Red Flag that this person has no clue as to what they are attempting to feed us? in other words known as BULL.

What it says is that the warming models were too conservative, and things are warming up faster than predicted by most climate scientists.

What it says is that the warming models were too conservative, and things are warming up faster than predicted by most climate scientists.
In other words most climate scientists haven't a clue to what they're looking for. They seem to be like other weather forecasters, seers, soothsayers, and now called scientists that wander outdoors and see it raining and tell us about it, I'm guessing they're a part of the Al Gore Climate Reality Project at https://www.algore.com/project/the-climate-reality-project. Please tell me you're not associated with that great learning center (Dues paying member you say?) Oh the humanity. :lol

In other words most climate scientists haven't a clue to what they're looking for.

Over time the models get better, as more and more data refine them. That's how science works.

They seem to be like other weather forecasters,

No. Meteorologists are not climatologists. Weather is not climate.

The models predicted warming; they were just somewhat conservative in their predictions; the warming is proceedng faster than expected.

I notice palms are now possible in North Texas, for example. And at least some varieties now thrive here. Plants are rated by hardiness, and then the zones are plotted where the plants can thrive outdoors. And as you know, the zones have been moving north, which confirms the data from other sources.

Well, actually, I don't know that the zones are moving north. I presume you think I know this because of the cool lil colored map that was posted that says so, lol.

I don't accept colored maps as evidence of anything. Especially if they're put out by some governmental agency. What I do know, is that, that's what they want us to believe. So I have to ask myself, why do they want us to believe that (global warming)?

There's big money behind this through regulation. Now there's no way in the world that I can prove that global warming is not happening.

I don't think that there's a way for them to prove that it is happening either. They can track and record mean temps and use them to create colorful maps, and purport this to be evidence...but is it really?

It's kind of like using statistics. Statistics can be used to reveal average trends, but not absolutes. Methinks a better question is not what do the statistics reveal, but what do they conceal? :wink

In my mind, statistics are useless. They can show one thing year by year, blah blah blah...then a big spike or drop can show that there was a phase for awhile...and then mother nature did what she wanted to and blow the graph out of the water. Exceptions to the rule so to speak.

For instance, if I got ripped off by five girlfriends in a row. So I get on here and say, all girls are thieves. Those who've been ripped off by girls would know that I speak truth. Then those who haven't been (and honorable girls who don't have theft in their heart) would know I was wrong.

Their colorful maps are seeds of we have global warming. Then a hot summer, and...wow, it's true?
I think not brother. Lol. Though some would take it that way.

They don't teach critical thinking anymore, do they?

We do know one thing. Deception is governments most used tool. I don't buy it for those reasons.

Well, actually, I don't know that the zones are moving north. I presume you think I know this because of the cool lil colored map that was posted that says so, lol.

Some of the shifting zone boundaries, they said, were the result of more sophisticated mapping. For the first time, the new map takes into account the effects of elevation, large lakes, and whether a place is located in a valley or on top of a ridge. They admitted, however, that most of the changes were due to using temperature data from recent years, which have been relatively toasty.
christianforums.net/Fellowship/index.php?threads/warming-up.65575/page-2#post-1233679

I don't accept colored maps as evidence of anything. Especially if they're put out by some governmental agency.

Doesn't matter. All that counts is that they work. And as gardeners know, they do. Liberal petunias, I guess.

There's big money behind this through regulation.

No kidding a lobbying group associated with Exxon offered scientists tens of thousands of dollars each if they would just write something bad about global warming. Exxon has since said that they will not fund that group in the future. Fossil fuel corporations have lavishly contributed to such funding.

Now there's no way in the world that I can prove that global warming is not happening.

Particularly since the data clearly shows it happening. Arctic ice extent, melting glaciers in most of the world. And yes, those liberal maple trees that are flowering earlier and earlier.

I don't think that there's a way for them to prove that it is happening either.

See above. It's not only hardiness zones changing, it's also measured temperatures increasing, glaciers melting, and so on.

It's kind of like using statistics. Statistics can be used to reveal average trends, but not absolutes.

Trends are what climate is. So while we can't precisely predict any particular year, we can certainly predict trends. Hanson's prediction, decades ago, turned out to be correct.

In my mind, statistics are useless.

If you think so, you don't know very much about statistics. Corporations pay millions of dollars to gather and analyze them for one simple reason; they are good predictors. The problem is not statistics, but dishonest people misusing statistics to mislead others. This is the heart of the denier argument. Typically, it's like the one presented here a while ago, when someone tried to cherry-pick dates to show a "recovery" of Arctic ice. The overall trend:
Figure31-1024x766.png

Deniers, by picking a starting date with an unusually low extent, can then show a few years of "recovery." But look at the map; each "recovery" is followed by even bigger losses, so the trend since the 70s, is for less and less ice. No one with any sense is fooled by that kind of thing.

For instance, if I got ripped off by five girlfriends in a row. So I get on here and say, all girls are thieves. Those who've been ripped off by girls would know that I speak truth. Then those who haven't been (and honorable girls who don't have theft in their heart) would know I was wrong.

A statistician would say that your sampling was biased. I know lots of guys like you, and it's no surprise that it happens to them.

They don't teach critical thinking any more, do they?

Perhaps not in the schools you went to. But most 8th graders today would spot the flaw in your analysis. There's a bigger emphasis on critical thinking now, than in the past. In fact, Japan, which emphasizes facts and application, has sent people to the United States in an effort to learn how to teach critical thinking. Turns out, it's a necessary part for creativity and innovation, and Japan is falling behind.

Is it really "creativity" that is a major problem with Japanese education, or even education in Asia in general? I've come to wonder if it isn't creativity, but actually critical thinking skills.

I've seen many classes taught in Japan (including in China and South Korea which tend to be similar in many ways), I've read the books, I've taken the college classes (the regular Japanese ones, not just international student sectioned off ones), and the method and focus of classes is pretty much: here is the material memorize and know this. Once again, this is speaking in generalizations, and of course America shares this to some degree as well. However, I do want to point out that there seems to be a much stronger focus on critical thinking skills in United States colleges than Japanese ones.

With the linear teaching methods, one track history, rigid system, and overall opposition to uniqueness and "contrary thought," this almost creates a environment that punishes those who consider thinking and evaluating information rather than simply absorbing information.

http://www.jref.com/forum/threads/j...ms-is-it-the-lack-of-critical-thinking.38319/

Sea level rise, for example, has been shown to be at the extreme upper range of IPC predictions:
slr_prediction_med.jpg

We separated the world’s oceans into the Atlantic, Pacific, and Indian. All three of these oceans are warming with the Atlantic warming the most. We also calculated the ocean heating by using 40 state-of-the-art climate models. Over the period from 1970, the climate models have under-predicted the warming by 15%.
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-warming-faster-than-climate-models-predicted

The warming of the oceans proceeded faster than expected; the mechanism for thermal energy storage in the oceans was not completely understood, which accounts for the faster rise in temperatures.

Oh I haven't been ripped off by any girls, lol. That was a common example.

I just thought f something. You keep mentioning that plants are blooming earlier, because of global warming...

It's not the heat that triggers the bloom cycle. It's the light. Anything less that 12 hours light will trigger the bloom cycle.

At least for cannabis, lol. I presume most plants are similar

Oh I haven't been ripped off by any girls, lol. That was a common example.

I just thought f something. You keep mentioning that plants are blooming earlier, because of global warming...

It's not the heat that triggers the bloom cycle. It's the light.

Nope. It can have an effect, but...

Plants blossom at different times because several factors, including the weather, temperature and the amount of sunlight the plant receives, all of which influence its reproductive development. Information about these conditions is relayed to Apetala1, which activates when it senses that the timing is right to commence flowering.

Global climate changes are having a dramatic impact on flowering times, with Britain currently experiencing the earliest flowering date in the last 250 years, according to data collected by Nature’s Calendar, a national survey coordinated by the Woodland Trust in partnership with the Centre for Ecology & Hydrology (CEH).

Using an index of UK citizen-submitted data, CEH researchers were able to compare the blooming dates of more than 405 flowering plant species and analyze how changes in climate influence a plant's life cycle, a study known as phenology. Scientists noted that spring-flowering species are more affected by temperature changes than species that blossom later in the year.

http://www.livescience.com/32529-how-do-flowers-know-when-to-bloom.html

Anything less that 12 hours light will trigger the bloom cycle.

If that were so, everything would bloom at once. It's more interesting than that.

If that were so, everything would bloom at once. It's more interesting than that.

That makes sense. My only serious experience with growing was with mj and even though I was very good at it, there's a lot of different plant species out there, lol. Point well taken.

Nevertheless the global warming issue is probably more interesting than they say to. It's pretty obvious that the planet is sick from man and sin.

There's probably a spiritual side of the planet that is unexplored or considered in man's research. Scripture says that the heavens declare His glory...and that makes me wonder what would the earth say if we knew how to listen to it?
:confused2

I'm confused as to where science stands. Now if they believe there was once a ice age, is not the melting poles and warmer temeratures around the world not just part of the evolving billion year 'heat age' coming out of the billion year 'ice age'?.

I'm confused as to where science stands.

It's why you can't get a handle on the issue. The mechanism of warming was worked out over a hundred years ago. By the 1970s, it became apparent to climatologists that warming was on the way. Today, the details are becoming more and more obvious.

Now if they believe there was once a ice age, is not the melting poles and warmer temeratures around the world not just part of the evolving billion year 'heat age' coming out of the billion year 'ice age'?.

No. In fact, the recent solar minimum should have markedly cooled the Earth. Instead it only moderated the rise in temperatures. Human intervention is now overriding natural processes.

Global temperatures, every month so far this year have been hotter than last year, which was at that time, the hottest on record. Unless something changes soon, we will have yet another record-breaking year.
http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/tabledata_v3/GLB.Ts.txt

And it's now happening faster than the models predicted. I haven't given much thought to a catastrophic warming, but it's starting to concern me a bit.

GlobalTempsTrend520px.jpg
I wouldn't sweat it...LOL.

This is all cyclic. God is in control. I haven't read anything about melting polar ice caps, in the Bible. I am much more concerned about things like:

The great deception
A mountain falling from the sky
Wars and rumors of wars
Increasing persecution
Hail that burns
Increased earth quakes
Increased floods
Increased droughts
The coming days being like the days of Noah.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back