Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Was Jesus a false prophet?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Kefka said:
Read the bible, and you'll notice that he spoke in riddles and parables quite often, no?

The verses in question don't look like "parables" to me.

Kefka said:
Often his disciples didn't know what he was talking about, yet you believe you can understand what he's saying?

Yes, I can understand what he is saying. The prophecy is clear enough.

Kefka said:
You don't think there's any possible way that you might be misunderstanding what he said?

Well I don't claim to be infallible. However, the real question, for you, is-

"You don't think it is almost certain you are following a false prophet?"

DivineNames said:
Kefka said:
You don't think there's any possible way that you might be misunderstanding what he said?

Well I don't claim to be infallible. However, the real question, for you, is-

"You don't think it is almost certain you are following a false prophet?"
Your answer to the "infallible" question is evasive and your "false prophet" statement is borderline blasphemy. A yes or no will suffice and a retraction of the second statement will rectify that problem as well.

Peace,
Vic

No, the verses in question are not parables, that was an example. The point is that, how could you think that you understand the Son of God when other people, disciple and apostle alike, quite often could not. It's ignorance to me.

And I KNOW I don't serve a false prophet.

Vic said:
Your answer to the "infallible" question is evasive

How is it "evasive"? I think what I said is perfectly clear. It is always possible that I could be wrong, but from the evidence that I am aware of at this time, it is very unlikely.

Now Vic, perhaps you would like to provide a clear answer for me? How likely is it, do you think, that Jesus gave a false prophecy?

Vic said:
and your "false prophet" statement is borderline blasphemy.

OK, if we are talking about the issue of Jesus perhaps giving a false prophecy, how should this be expressed without using a term like "false prophet"?

Kefka said:
I KNOW I don't serve a false prophet.

Right. So it is you that claims to be infallible. Which is total nonsense of course.

I can claim to understand Jesus, because the prophecy in question is actually fairly clear.

DivineNames said:
Kefka said:
Often his disciples didn't know what he was talking about, yet you believe you can understand what he's saying?

Yes, I can understand what he is saying. The prophecy is clear enough.
You are far better that those who walked, taught, learned and and ate with Him.

Mat 13:10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
Mat 13:11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given....
... Mat 13:13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

Vic said:
Mat 13:10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
Mat 13:11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given....
... Mat 13:13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

The verses in question aren't parables. Jesus clearly predicts that the Son of Man will come within the lifetime of some of his immediate followers.

I do not claim to be infallible, I claim to have faith. And as I said, the parables are an example.

DivineNames said:
The verses in question aren't parables. Jesus clearly predicts that the Son of Man will come within the lifetime of some of his immediate followers.
My mistake. Sorry. I am familiar with the passage in question. He is not saying what you think He's saying. He's saying He will come back in the lifetime of those in the End Times, which is the topic of discussion in that chapter and the group of people He is speaking about..

Vic said:

Amen.

DN, asking a christian whether or not we think that Jesus was a false prophet is basically asking us to believe you over the Son of God, it won't happen.

And Vic, I don't think it can be put more plainly than that, good job.

Thanks Kelfa.

After looking over this thread again, I overlooked one thing that I agree with 100%:

This generation, I believe is refering to the generation in which these prophecies all become true together will not have passed. In other words when the dominos start to fall, all these prophecies will occur in the lifetime of that generation in which they started.
Scott... and Judy who followed his post are correct in their assessment. IMO and how I understand Scripture from a spirit-inspired position, of course

Vic said:
Thanks Kelfa.

After looking over this thread again, I overlooked one thing that I agree with 100%:

This generation, I believe is refering to the generation in which these prophecies all become true together will not have passed. In other words when the dominos start to fall, all these prophecies will occur in the lifetime of that generation in which they started.
Scott... and Judy who followed his post are correct in their assessment. IMO and how I understand Scripture from a spirit-inspired position, of course

I definitely agree with that as well, in fact... between their responses and your response, I don't see how it could be explained any better. DN, how do you argue that? I will say that Divinenames has staying power in this argument, and although I disagree with him completely on every possible level, he knows how to defend his point.

Vic said:
He is not saying what you think He's saying. He's saying He will come back in the lifetime of those in the End Times, which is the topic of discussion in that chapter and the group of people He is speaking about..

What you are saying isn't true-

For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father's glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what he has done. I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom. (Matthew 16:27-28 NIV)

(Also- Mark 8:38-9:1 and Luke 9:26-27)

Even if it was true, the events would still be fixed in the first century, as that is when one of the events occurred, (destruction of the Second Temple).

Kefka said:
DN, asking a christian whether or not we think that Jesus was a false prophet is basically asking us to believe you over the Son of God, it won't happen.

This isn't about believing me, it is about reading the Bible without bias. I know this is difficult for Christians, I know that they are unlikely to do it.

Vic said:
Now Vic, perhaps you would like to provide a clear answer for me? How likely is it, do you think, that Jesus gave a false prophecy?
0%

Is this something you "know"? Or is this more "faith"? :)

Kefka said:
although I disagree with him completely on every possible level, he knows how to defend his point.

If what you are defending is the truth, you have something of an advantage. :)

True faith leaves no doubt, so what difference does it make?

Back