Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Was Jesus actually crucified at night?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Before you scoff at this idea.................there are many things in the bible that give a different take than what I see in the world. (a long haired effeminate Jesus being one).

I welcome your opinions on this thread.

The bible says Jesus was crucified on the 3rd hour. Mark 15:25 "And it was the third hour, and they crucified him"

Mathew 27:45 "Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour."

With the 9th hour being when he actually expired and gave up the ghost.

In context Jesus had the last supper on thursday night and late in the night is when Judas Iscariot and the servants of the chief priest came to arrest him in the garden of Gethsemane. During the last supper Jesus told Peter he would deny him 3 times before the cock crowed twice.

When do cocks crows? Very early in the morning.

I have heard people say the jewish days were divided into 12 hours a piece. And this some believe the jewish day began at 6am. Thus the third hour would have been 9 am and the sixth - 12 pm and the 9th hour 3 pm.

But if thats true it means that our entire system of time is false and the new days begin at 6 pm every night and not 12 am.

OR....was we crucified at 3 AM and died at 9am? That would mean the sun basically did not rise that day till 9 am.

Either way its a startling revelation!

Can anyone help me figure this out? Thanks!

Well, you do have to get around the sun turning dark, don't you?

Before you scoff at this idea.................there are many things in the bible that give a different take than what I see in the world. (a long haired effeminate Jesus being one).

I welcome your opinions on this thread.

The bible says Jesus was crucified on the 3rd hour. Mark 15:25 "And it was the third hour, and they crucified him"

Mathew 27:45 "Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour."

With the 9th hour being when he actually expired and gave up the ghost.

In context Jesus had the last supper on thursday night and late in the night is when Judas Iscariot and the servants of the chief priest came to arrest him in the garden of Gethsemane. During the last supper Jesus told Peter he would deny him 3 times before the cock crowed twice.

When do cocks crows? Very early in the morning.

I have heard people say the jewish days were divided into 12 hours a piece. And this some believe the jewish day began at 6am. Thus the third hour would have been 9 am and the sixth - 12 pm and the 9th hour 3 pm.

But if thats true it means that our entire system of time is false and the new days begin at 6 pm every night and not 12 am.

OR....was we crucified at 3 AM and died at 9am? That would mean the sun basically did not rise that day till 9 am.

Either way its a startling revelation!

Can anyone help me figure this out? Thanks!
There are two separate accounts, one by John and one by Mark. As usual we have to consider who the audience is that the apostle is speaking to. John is using Roman time and Mark is using Jewish time.
Rather than me going through the whole explanation, which I might not do so well, I believe you will find your answers here.
http://www.apologeticspress.org/apcontent.aspx?category=6&article=584

There are two separate accounts, one by John and one by Mark. As usual we have to consider who the audience is that the apostle is speaking to. John is using Roman time and Mark is using Jewish time.
Rather than me going through the whole explanation, which I might not do so well, I believe you will find your answers here.
http://www.apologeticspress.org/apcontent.aspx?category=6&article=584

Big thanks Deborah. I was not aware the unit of time we have now is Roman VS Jewish. Thank you.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back