Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Was Luke/Acts written to an individual person or to all individual God lovers?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
The early church fathers never claimed that their writing was "inspired" and neither has anyone else.

What's your point?

In that case the opinions of uninspired men
in regards to the Roman Canon are taken as gospel truth.

In that case the opinions of uninspired men
in regards to the Roman Canon are taken as gospel truth.
If you don't like the "Roman Cannon" then don't read it. Getting you nickers all in a knot over it is a waste of your time and energy.
And I seriously doubt that you have read ANY of the ECFs. If you had, you would know that their focus was not the "cannon of scripture".

If you don't like the "Roman Cannon" then don't read it. Getting you nickers all in a knot over it is a waste of your time and energy.
And I seriously doubt that you have read ANY of the ECFs. If you had, you would know that their focus was not the "cannon of scripture".

Recommending that I should turn
to ECFs, popes or non-apostolic works is the problem,
for they offer opinions of uninspired men.

(1 Cor 4:6)
.......... that you may learn in us
not to go BEYOND WHAT IS WRITTEN,

by SOURCING only the foundational prophets and apostles
(Eph 2:20, 2 Pet 3:1-2).

All God-breathed writing (is) profitable for doctrine .......... (2 Ti 3:16).

Neither the OT nor the NT was codified when Paul wrote that.
Christendom tries and to use this verse
to justify all books in the Roman Canon
by the uninspired early church fathers.

Whose's speaking anything about Roman Canon, we are speaking about the word of God unless you do not believe in the Bible, which is not a systematic book of codes.

Of course. I did not suggest otherwise.

Sure.
But you missed my point.
When Paul was writing, his letters were not considered "scripture." They were seen as teaching, correction, encouragement, etc.
HOWEVER: when Paul made reference to "the scripture", he was referring to the Old Testament because, as of that point in time, there were no "New Testament Scriptures."
That's why I said: "I don't think Paul was aware that he was writing scripture." He was teaching that Christ fulfilled the OT scriptures and how believers should understand and obey the Lord's calling.

I didn't miss your point as I know these letters were not considered scripture at the time of their writings.

If anyone thinks that he is a prophet or a spiritual person, let him acknowledge the things which I am writing to you— that they are a commandment of the Lord.
1 Corinthians 14:37 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=1 Corinthians 14:37&version=DLNT

Paul never considered himself a prophet, but was anointed by the Holy Spirit and did quote from them as he taught others as there was no NT written in his days as everything that is written in the NT was letters written by the Apostles as their accounts of what Jesus taught.

Of course. I did not suggest otherwise.
When Paul was writing, his letters were not considered "scripture." They were seen as teaching, correction, encouragement, etc.
Paul, an apostle - not from men nor through man,
but through Jesus Christ and God the Father ........ (Ga 1:1).

I neither received it (the gospel) from man, nor was I taught it,
but it came through the revelation of Jesus Christ
(Ga 1:12).

Paul knew that he was given the word of God !!!!

HOWEVER: when Paul made reference to "the scripture", he was referring to the Old Testament because, as of that point in time, there were no "New Testament Scriptures."
That's why I said: "I don't think Paul was aware that he was writing scripture." He was teaching that Christ fulfilled the OT scriptures and how believers should understand and obey the Lord's calling.

the gospel of God which He promised before
through His prophets in the Holy Scriptures
(Romans 1:1-2)

Paul didn't refer to the OT, but specifically to the prophets.

Last edited:
Paul, an apostle - not from men nor through man,
but through Jesus Christ and God the Father ........ (Ga 1:1).

Paul knew that he was given the word of God !!!!

Paul most certainly referenced the OT teachings as it was the Prophets who wrote most of it.

Paul most certainly referenced the OT teachings as it was the Prophets who wrote most of it.

The gospel came specifically through the OT prophets.
I refuse to add other works to that word of God !!!!

Only the prophets and apostles were foundational (Eph 2:20)

The research needed to produce the gospel of Luke and Acts of the Apostles would be an incredible amount of work to perform for the benefit of one person.
Perhaps we can think of Theophilus as a patron. Just as patrons throughout history have sponsored or requested works of art and literature which the producers would dedicate ir address to them but were always intended for the public at large.

The research needed to produce the gospel of Luke and Acts of the Apostles would be an incredible amount of work to perform for the benefit of one person.

Whom will he teach knowledge?
And whom will he make to understand the message?
For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept,
Line upon line, line upon line,

Here a little, there a little (Is 28:9-10).

Therein lies the difference
between the apostolic word of God and Luke's account.

Paul never considered himself a prophet,
I didn’t speculate as to whether he did or did not ever consider himself a prophet. Maybe you could start a thread posting whether he ever said he did not consider himself a prophet.

What he did say however, is that the things that he wrote are a “commandment of the Lord”.

there was no NT written in his days
Who told you this???

Paul quotes from Luke’s Gospel (a part of the NT) in one of his later pastoral epistles to Timothy and even calls it Scripture.

For the Scripture says “You shall not muzzle a threshing ox” [Deut 25:4], and “The worker is worthy of his wages” [ Lk 10:7 ].
1 Timothy 5:18 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=1 Timothy 5:18&version=DLNT

The gospel came specifically through the OT prophets.
I refuse to add other works to that word of God !!!!

Only the prophets and apostles were foundational (Eph 2:20)

The Gospels, NT, came by Christ alone who in the beginning was the word and has always been the word of God. It's the Apostles accounts and witness of being with Christ and what He taught from the OT bringing in a better covenant of God's grace. All the word from Genesis to Revelation is God's word written down by those who God inspired to write down that we all can learn of His great love, mercy and grace.

Paul quotes from Luke’s Gospel (a part of the NT) in one of his later pastoral epistles to Timothy and even calls it Scripture.

For the Scripture says “You shall not muzzle a threshing ox” [Deut 25:4], and “The worker is worthy of his wages” [ Lk 10:7 ].
1 Timothy 5:18 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=1 Timothy 5:18&version=DLNT

This word of God wouldn't be true, if Paul quoted Luke.

The Gospels, NT, came by Christ alone who in the beginning was the word and has always been the word of God. It's the Apostles accounts and witness of being with Christ and what He taught from the OT bringing in a better covenant of God's grace. All the word from Genesis to Revelation is God's word written down by those who God inspired to write down that we all can learn of His great love, mercy and grace.

Only the prophets and apostles
were foundational to the household of God (Eph 2:20).

I refuse to deny that word of God by adding others.

This word of God wouldn't be true, if Paul quoted Luke.

Your logic is flawed. Plus, I didn’t say he quoted the man Luke, but rather I said Luke’s Gospel (capital G).

Luke went with the apostle Paul on his missionary journeys (2 Tim 4:11).

Notice how apostles RANK FIRST (1 Cor 12:28, Eph 4:11).

Paul wasn't subservient to Luke,
but his superior in the kingdom of God (Rev 21:14).

I didn’t speculate as to whether he did or did not ever consider himself a prophet. Maybe you could start a thread posting whether he ever said he did not consider himself a prophet.

What he did say however, is that the things that he wrote are a “commandment of the Lord”.

Who told you this???

I do apologize as I thought by what you posted in post #26 that you were saying Paul was a prophet.

What I am getting at is in the days of the Apostles there were only their writings that were circulated among the churches as they were not yet collected in a single volume (book) we call the NT.

What I am getting at is in the days of the Apostles there were only their writings that were circulated among the churches as they were not yet collected in a single volume (book) we call the NT.

Non-apostolic works by Mark, Luke (Acts), author of Hebrews,
James, Jude and a host of pseudo-canonical works were circulating as well.

Back