Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Was Paul always correct?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
GodspromisesRyes said:
a husband and wife do submit to each other in some ways however the husband is the head of the wife.

You may give examples all day long but the fact is that nothing can come into our lives that GOD has not planned to use for good regardless is men mean it for evil if we are loving and walking after Him. husband certianly can tell his wife to help Him rob a bank and the wife can walk faithfully without any fear in subjection and prayer for her husband in great faith that the LORD will save her and hopefully from her heart have mercy on her husband. TOO much fear of obedience because of situations comes in, instead of obeying the Lord without fear and trusting that HE is in control and can deliver. Do you know about abraham and sarah? Twice abraham had her lie and say she was his sister(not also wife) and twice pagan rulers took her to lay with her and she obeyed abraham and was taken because of it. Still she did not fear she just obeyed and trusted her God. Now this COULD have caused her to have men commit adultary with her twice- but did it? NO becuase God was in control and GOD saved her.- We as women are told to be daughters of sarah1Pe 3:6 Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him lord: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement. - GOD delivers!

anyways it is not a holy thing to take the bible and say it is wrong because you make up situations that arent even in the middle of happening to justify not obeying the word.

As far as the psalm. those " children" are daughters of babylon not littleral infants- but either way daughters of babylon arent " innocent". If you say you know the Lord but you call His word wrong and error then you cannot know Him becuase HE IS HIS WORD and HE has put HIS WORD above his name. You cannot even discern correctly what IS God and what is not if yoiu jusdge things He says in error
When I pray, I pray to a living being, not a book. When I worship on Sunday morning, I worship a living being, not a book.

Menno said:
Question for another thread.

No. We're here, now, answer that question or you don't have one.

Menno said:
When a man and woman enter into marriage, it is a willful decisions by both parts. In other words, Marriage is designed to be entered into because both parties "want to". Submitting to Leadership.

That's only if your view of marriage is skewed to include woman-slavery.

Menno said:
Oh, how much easier it would be if I merely said to my wife "Obey me, regardless". Rather, I understand that my role of husband is to submit myself to the Lordship of Jesus Christ. As I do, I realize that my decisions are not about me, but about we - my family.

What is harmful is when Trust is misused for one's own personal gain. When a husband misuses the Trust that his wife places in him, then yes it is harmful.

And where is all of that in the passage? Or are you just inferring it to make your views look better?

Menno said:
But the application is still valid. and I do not know about you, but I personally would not go to an unbeliever for spiritual advice or help in my Christian walk. Which is what Paul is addressing.

That is not what Paul is addressing. Re read my post and you will understand what he was addressing.

Menno said:
elijah,

If doubt is being cast on the Letters that Paul wrote to Christians to help them live the Christian Faith, how is it that you are willing to accept what Mark, Matthew, John, or Luke wrote? How do you know THEY got it right?

If you do not fully understand what Paul wrote, why then seek to cast it aside? Before raising doubt about its truthfulness - perhaps it is better to seek understanding. You raised the question, "was Paul always correct", but every post back seems to indicate that you have already made your mind up that he wasn't.

Peter refers to Paul's writings as Scripture. Peter is suggesting then that we should follow what Paul wrote. While I grant you that abuses happen by mis-using the Scripture - that does not mean that the problem rests within Scripture or what Paul wrote.

You asked if a husband asked his wife to rob a bank, should she listen.

First, God's instructions are above everyone's. Therefore, the wife should listen to God's instructions.

Secondly, Paul tells the husbands that we are to submit to Christ. Therefore, why would a Christian husband be telling his wife to rob a bank?

Look at it as a chain of command. Christ is the Head, he instructs the man, the man is then to follow those instructions and instruct his wife. The problem isn't with the chain of command, the problem is when the chain get's broken and is not followed.

While someone called it semantics, there is a difference between Lordship and Leadership. Christ is Lord, husbands are to submit to the Lordship of Christ and provide Leadership to his family. The family is to respect the Leadership of the Family.
I trust the Lord to accurately quote the teachings of Jesus. The Lord has the responsibility to make sure we get the message, don’t you think?

I suspect Paul was not always right. I don’t know for sure.

Is Scripture to be obeyed? I’m not sure it always is. There is much to be learned from Scripture, but I’m not convinced it is always correct. Is there anything in Scripture that says Scripture is always correct?

You say a wife should listen to God’s instructions. What if the his instructions contradict the husband’s instructions?

Men do rob banks—I don’t know why.

As far as chain of command, the Lord is the head, so if I were a woman, I would always be taking orders directly from him. You said yourself that the wife should first listen to the Lord’s instructions.

Please forgive me, everybody, but I am trying to earn a living, so I have only a moment here and there to check my computer. Aero Hudson complained to someone that a post hadn’t been answered. I went back and found a post by Aero Hudson, though I don’t know if the post was directed to me or not. I usually go through to see if anyone has quoted me in a post, and I answer those posts, when it seems appropriate.

Menno said:
Paul is not addressing the public at large, he is writing to Christians. Yes, his message has implications for the public at large, but ultimately the Scripture was written to believers.

So, I do not understand what you mean when you say "lots of men rob banks". Are you suggesting that a lot of followers of Christ rob banks?
If Scripture is always correct, a wife must obey her husband, even if he asks to her sin, as I understand it. In a case like this, I don’t think a wife should obey Scripture.

elijah23 said:
Menno said:
Paul is not addressing the public at large, he is writing to Christians. Yes, his message has implications for the public at large, but ultimately the Scripture was written to believers.

So, I do not understand what you mean when you say "lots of men rob banks". Are you suggesting that a lot of followers of Christ rob banks?
If Scripture is always correct, a wife must obey her husband, even if he asks to her sin, as I understand it. In a case like this, I don’t think a wife should obey Scripture.

Isn't that missing the point? Is the question, why is the husband asking her to sin?

Menno said:
Isn't that missing the point? Is the question, why is the husband asking her to sin?
The question is:

Is Scripture always correct?

According to you, it is. Therefore, when a man asks his wife to sin, she is required to do so. Are you trying to tell me that a man has never asked his wife to sin?

elijah23 said:
Panin said:
Lol, your pastor wasnt inspired by God to write the bible either.
Might a pastor be inspired to interpret the Bible?

The bible says that scripture is not the subject of interpretation.

2Pe 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

As you may know many false doctrines and cults are born out of private interpretations. So yes, a man may be inspired to interpret scripture, but I dont think it is God who is doing the inspiring.

That said , God speaks to us through his already inspired word. However in saying that, only the original Hebrew and Greek as it was given by God to those who wrote it was inspired, the translation into other languages including English is not the inspired word of God, it is merely an interpretation of it. I dont think the English language is as powerful, colourful and meaningful as hebrew and greek, which is why we English need to go back and look at the greek and hebrew meanings of words to get a fuller understanding at times.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

In conclusion, I think as a christian grows in grace, the word of God can reveal deeper levels of understanding to the believer, but I do not think this means that the reader is then getting a new interpretation. Perhaps it means that more is being revealed or understood.

elijah23 said:
Menno said:
The question is:

Is Scripture always correct?

According to you, it is. Therefore, when a man asks his wife to sin, she is required to do so. Are you trying to tell me that a man has never asked his wife to sin?

According to God who wrote the bible, all scripture is correct. This has also been proved via science to be the case aswell.

There really need not be any arguement among Christians as to the validity of scripture IE did or did not God say that, if there is then one can not have a reasoned discussion about scripture.

Can I ask what a man asking his wife to sin, has to do with the scripture?

Panin said:
Paul says, I believe, that a wife is required to obey her husband. I raise the question, what then is a woman to do if her husband asks her to sin? Scripture apparently requires her to obey. I argue that Scripture is wrong—she should not obey. I’m sure this happens freqeuently.

Sound Silence said:
Panin said:
According to God who wrote the bible, all scripture is correct. This has also been proved via science to be the case aswell.

So God told you this personally?

Which part? And are you intentionally trying to be antagonistic in your method of discussion, because that is how you come accross to me?

elijah23 said:
Panin said:
Paul says, I believe, that a wife is required to obey her husband. I raise the question, what then is a woman to do if her husband asks her to sin? Scripture apparently requires her to obey. I argue that Scripture is wrong—she should not obey. I’m sure this happens freqeuently.

A wife is only asked to submit to a husband who is submitted to God. So obvioulsy your questions is either designed to cause dissent among believers or else you dont know the Lord yet.

Panin said:
elijah23 said:
Panin said:

A wife is only asked to submit to a husband who is submitted to God. So obvioulsy your questions is either designed to cause dissent among believers or else you dont know the Lord yet.

There really is a lot of foolishness going on in this thread.

Panin said:
Sound Silence said:
Panin said:

So God told you this personally?

Which part? And are you intentionally trying to be antagonistic in your method of discussion, because that is how you come accross to me?

Well, you said "according to God", so it seems like God who have to tell you that for it to be "according to" him.

Sound Silence said:
[
Well, you said "according to God", so it seems like God who have to tell you that for it to be "according to" him.

According to scripture then - I provided the scripture. OKAY wise guy? Chill out a bit dude.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back