Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Prayer __] washed and made clean

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I'm learning to accept my forgiveness from God. See, psychology and self-help, they say "forgive yourself," which isn't the way to do things. I'm learning to accept my forgiveness from God, because I came to believe upon Christ, and now I am more able to forgive others, and deal with life in general.

I'm starting to see that some of the hallucinations--many of which, honestly, are re-plays of things that have been said to and about me--are rooted in me not accepting God's forgiveness. Great is He who is in me than he who is in the world. When I really stop to think on it and pray about it, I do better, but its easy to slip up and get into the flesh and such.

So, I ask that you pray that I (and other people, I imagine) learn to accept that we've been forgiven, stand on that, live through that, and learn to forgive others+do the right thing because we've been forgiven.

The Peace of Jesus Christ gives us:

Peace with The Father

Peace with others

Peace with self

I believe it works in that order. The Power of the Holy Spirit guiding and instructing us along the way.

Before we pray, we are to seek our Lord's forgiveness & repent any short-comings we may have at the time. When we have humbled ourselves, then we are more effective in our quest to reach out to others.

Let's face it: No unbeliever would want to seek our Lord's love if he/she sees a believer is beating himself up for short-comings.

Before we pray, we are to seek our Lord's forgiveness & repent any short-comings we may have at the time. When we have humbled ourselves, then we are more effective in our quest to reach out to others.

Let's face it: No unbeliever would want to seek our Lord's love if he/she sees a believer is beating himself up for short-comings.

you make valid points. I think seeing myself as a sinner in need of grace...or, at least, a former unrepentant wretch saved by Christ...has been difficult. I always think of myself as Mr.Nice Guy, etc. etc. etc., so its hard to say "OK, that is sin, and no, its not acceptable." Sounds like being slack, and in some respects it is, but I find that the more I leave the worldly thinking and explanations aside and move towards calling sin, sin and repenting, the better I feel. Its weird...for all the sugar coating, pop psychology doesn't offer much, certainly no real freedom. Repentance does.

And you're right about getting over our faults and moving forward in Christ, to be good witnesses for Christ. Christian does not=self-loathing, or really self-anything, hopefully.

Thanks. :)

you make valid points. I think seeing myself as a sinner in need of grace...or, at least, a former unrepentant wretch saved by Christ...has been difficult. I always think of myself as Mr.Nice Guy, etc. etc. etc., so its hard to say "OK, that is sin, and no, its not acceptable." Sounds like being slack, and in some respects it is, but I find that the more I leave the worldly thinking and explanations aside and move towards calling sin, sin and repenting, the better I feel. Its weird...for all the sugar coating, pop psychology doesn't offer much, certainly no real freedom. Repentance does.

And you're right about getting over our faults and moving forward in Christ, to be good witnesses for Christ. Christian does not=self-loathing, or really self-anything, hopefully.

Thanks. :)

It can be a challenge for each of us to remember that we've been sinners all our lives, and although we are now Christians, we remain sinners.

I think about The Lord's Prayer, where we pray "And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us..."

We are listed first, then 'those who trespass against us' are listed second. But both are equally important to our Lord.

dirtfarmer here

If all sin has received the Just payment of Christ's blood, why do believers not accept that sin has been paid for? It is sins, the fruits of the sin nature, that break fellowship with the Father. Once a person's relationship with the Father has been established; it can never be broken. It is fellowship that is hindered. When we say the same as God does about our faltering, then our fellowship with the Father is restored.

Once a relationship is established with the Father, we are no longer looked upon as a sinner, but as a saint. There is no scripture that calls the believer a sinner. I am not saying that the believer will not be overtaken by a fault, but they are never called a sinner again.

dirtfarmer here

If all sin has received the Just payment of Christ's blood, why do believers not accept that sin has been paid for? It is sins, the fruits of the sin nature, that break fellowship with the Father. Once a person's relationship with the Father has been established; it can never be broken. It is fellowship that is hindered. When we say the same as God does about our faltering, then our fellowship with the Father is restored.

Once a relationship is established with the Father, we are no longer looked upon as a sinner, but as a saint. There is no scripture that calls the believer a sinner. I am not saying that the believer will not be overtaken by a fault, but they are never called a sinner again.

I've heard both perspectives, but that lines up with what I learned initially.

I'm learning to accept my forgiveness from God. See, psychology and self-help, they say "forgive yourself," which isn't the way to do things. I'm learning to accept my forgiveness from God, because I came to believe upon Christ, and now I am more able to forgive others, and deal with life in general.

I'm starting to see that some of the hallucinations--many of which, honestly, are re-plays of things that have been said to and about me--are rooted in me not accepting God's forgiveness. Great is He who is in me than he who is in the world. When I really stop to think on it and pray about it, I do better, but its easy to slip up and get into the flesh and such.

So, I ask that you pray that I (and other people, I imagine) learn to accept that we've been forgiven, stand on that, live through that, and learn to forgive others+do the right thing because we've been forgiven.

Awesome Brother.

God loves you dearly.

JLB

Blessing dear Brother Christ_empowered; you're really beginning to learn the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus. When you can look at the blame of you by you as the instrument of unbelief and disruption of the peace you can have in Christ, I truly believe hallucinations will diminish and healing become real. Love you in Jesus' name. :hug

dirtfarmer here

Not true! Once forgiven we are Justified Sinners in need of repentance because we will mistakingly sin thereafter.

From the Nave's Topical;
Justification http://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionaries/bakers-evangelical-dictionary/justification.html [E]
General scriptures concerning
Genesis 15:6 ; Psalms 32:2 ; 71:16 ; 89:16 ; Isaiah 42:21 ; Isaiah 45:24 Isaiah 45:25 ; Isaiah 46:12 Isaiah 46:13 ; 50:8 ; Isaiah 51:5 Isaiah 51:6 ; 53:11 ; 54:17 ; 56:1 ; 61:10 ; Jeremiah 23:6 ; Habakkuk 2:4 ; Zechariah 3:4 ; John 5:24 ; Acts 13:39 ; Romans 1:16 Romans 1:17 ; 2:13 ; Romans 3:21 Romans 3:22 Romans 3:24-26 Romans 3:28 Romans 3:30 ; 4:3-25 ; Romans 5:1 Romans 5:9 Romans 5:11-21 ; 6:22 ; 7:1-25 ; Romans 8:1 Romans 8:30 Romans 8:31 Romans 8:33 Romans 8:34 ; 9:30-32 ; 10:1-21 ; 1 Corinthians 1:30 ; 6:11 ; 2 Corinthians 5:19 2 Corinthians 5:21 ; Galatians 2:14-21 ; Galatians 3:6 Galatians 3:8 Galatians 3:9 Galatians 3:11 Galatians 3:21 Galatians 3:22 Galatians 3:24 ; 4:21-31 ; 5:4-6 ; Ephesians 6:14 ; Philippians 3:8 Philippians 3:9 ; Colossians 2:13 Colossians 2:14 ; Titus 3:7 ; Hebrews 11:4 Hebrews 11:7 ; James 2:20-23 James 2:26

me again. I'm starting to realize that its easy to believe "why, yes, Jesus forgives..." --other people-- than it is to accept and stand on that He has forgiven --me--. I think its because I had probs from a young age, so I was "in treatment," and a lot of that "treatment" involved rehashing things, analyzing things, blah blah blah.

Doesn't matter now. I came to believe upon Christ (miracle, if you ask me), and now I've been forgiven. My people have even warmed up to me, which is clearly a miracle.

Its strange, kind of. I'm learning to accept that I was a sinner, and that a lot of my life can be explained thru that--I was a sinner, destroyed mostly by other sinners. Boom. Happens all the time.

And now, I still fall short, but there's forgiveness and reconciliation in The Cross. Its like something I vaguely remember reading by CS Lewis...we're imperfect creatures loved by a perfect creator, and his agape love has, as its ultimate end, our perfection. Something like that.

Anyway, this is much better than the whole "I'm OK, you're OK" or "You're Schizophrenic/Bipolar/NPD/OCD/ADD/ODD, etc." routine I got from Mental Health, Inc.

Thanks for all the replies. :)

hello th1b.taylor, dirtfarmer here

I appreciate all the scripture reference, but not one of them says that after we believe that we are sinners. NOTICE, I didn't say that we don't commit sins, but that we are not called sinners but saints.

Colossians 2:13 " And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses."
Ephesians 2:19 " Now therefore ye at no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens, and of the household of God."
Philippians 3:20 " For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ."

If these 3 scriptures are true, and I believe they are, we are citizens of heaven dwelling as strangers among this world. And, if citizens of heaven, we have to be saints because of Revelation 21:27 " And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life."
Salvation comes in 3 stages
We are saved from the penalty of sin, now.
We are saved from the power of sin, now
We will be saved from the presence of sin when Christ returns for the believers

We will be saved from the presence of sin when Christ returns for the believers
Now consider this statement and measure it along side the two previous. We will be when no longer in this body of sin we are contained within, that part is correct but just as Paul teaches us, if you say you are without sin, you are, at best, deluded. We must, continuously repent of both known and unknown sins.

Now consider this statement and measure it along side the two previous. We will be when no longer in this body of sin we are contained within, that part is correct but just as Paul teaches us, if you say you are without sin, you are, at best, deluded. We must, continuously repent of both known and unknown sins.

If you will reread my post you will find that nothing about being without sin was mentioned. While I don't find that a believer is to repent, that change of mind happened when we accepted Christ as our savior. I do find where we are to "confess", but that meaning is to say the same a God does, and then fellowship is restored.

2 Corinthians 4:7 " But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not in us"

If you will reread my post you will find that nothing about being without sin was mentioned. While I don't find that a believer is to repent, that change of mind happened when we accepted Christ as our savior. I do find where we are to "confess", but that meaning is to say the same a God does, and then fellowship is restored.

2 Corinthians 4:7 " But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not in us"
What I am picking up from this exchange are the teachings of the Latter Day Holiness Movement and I do know better than to continuously cast pearls for pigs to trample. You are sounding more and more as one that will tell me they have not sinned for X number of years and deny Romans 3:10 & 23. I leave you with Isa. 64:6.

I get the sense that, within Christianity, there are different ideas on any number of vital issues. I don't know what to make of it, honestly. I was saved in large part because of everything fairly old school Pentecostals taught me, which is much different from what PCUSA taught me, and different from what many here believe.

Its confusing, to say the least.

I get the sense that, within Christianity, there are different ideas on any number of vital issues. I don't know what to make of it, honestly. I was saved in large part because of everything fairly old school Pentecostals taught me, which is much different from what PCUSA taught me, and different from what many here believe.

Its confusing, to say the least.
All of the answers that are correct will be found with fifteen minutes a day for a year spent reading three chapters a day of God's Holy Word. Do that and none can deceive you.

What I am picking up from this exchange are the teachings of the Latter Day Holiness Movement and I do know better than to continuously cast pearls for pigs to trample. You are sounding more and more as one that will tell me they have not sinned for X number of years and deny Romans 3:10 & 23. I leave you with Isa. 64:6.

Not affiliated with Holiness movement , nor stating that I have not sinned for X number of years, nor denying any thing in Romans 3.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back