Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Washing their feet

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

humble soul

On Sabbatical from Rome
Jesus washed the Apostles feet.

How do we interpret that one?
Best to be a servant leader?
I think it can be easily misinterpreted.
Parents who wash their kids feet, after babyhood, Would be unnecessary. Unless the kid was disabled.
If we fuss over children, they can become spoiled.
So what was Jesus getting at?
Just to emphasise the importance of humility? That a leader should never distance themselves too much from the people under his authority. Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty, even when you are at the top. Don't lose touch with the common man.
Someone tell my cleaning boss this advice. I've never seen him lift a finger to clean. Don't think he likes that advice from the Bible.

(John 13:1-14) I believe you are correct in your interpretation. We as believers should never see ourselves above any other believer. Because we are not.

But it also points to the need of daily cleansing from being in the world. It's impossible for us to be in the world and not be stained by the world. We who are believers have been completely cleansed already as to our salvation. (John13:8) So we do not need to be washed totally again. (13:10) Just our feet; that which is always in contact with the world.

How interesting that Jesus must have also washed Judas Iscariot's feet. (John 13:12) Even though satan had filled Judas's heart to betray Christ. (13:2) I wonder what Judas was thinking at that moment. My how satan must have gloated as Christ washed the feet of the one satan would use to betray Him. Of course Christ already knew. (13:10)

Quantrill

(John 13:1-14) I believe you are correct in your interpretation. We as believers should never see ourselves above any other believer. Because we are not.

But it also points to the need of daily cleansing from being in the world. It's impossible for us to be in the world and not be stained by the world. We who are believers have been completely cleansed already as to our salvation. (John13:8) So we do not need to be washed totally again. (13:10) Just our feet; that which is always in contact with the world.

Quantrill
What do you mean by `just our feet: that which is always in contact with the world'? Thanks.

What do you mean by `just our feet: that which is always in contact with the world'? Thanks.

Jesus made the distinction. (John 13:8-10) The disciples were already cleansed completely as believers. (13:10) Thus the washing of feet was for the walk of the believer. His feet are what come into literal contact with the world. So that is what needs a daily cleansing. It speaks to the stain of being in the world daily as a believer and needing to be cleansed, not to be saved, but to be cleansed and kept in a right relationship with Christ.

Quantrill

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back