Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Water Baptism.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Correct, but neither are "outward signs" of salvation, as you stated. Circumcision is never tied to salvation as baptism is (1Pt 3:21). In fact, Paul tells us that circumcision has no bearing on salvation at all, while Peter says that water baptism saves. Both are entrance into the covenant, but that's where the similarity ends.

dad,

Does 1 Peter 3:21 (NIV) teach baptism as a necessity for salvation, i.e. baptismal regeneration? The verse states: "And this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also–not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ".

The ESV reads: "Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ."

Let me say up front that I Peter 3:21 (NIV) is a difficult verse to interpret because of the content of the context (1 Pet 3:18-22 NIV):

• It is a challenge to know exactly what Peter is saying in connecting "save" with the waters of Noah's flood (1 Pet 3:21 NIV);
  • Elsewhere in the Scripture we know that salvation is by faith alone through Christ alone (Acts 4:12 NIV; Eph 2:8-9 NIV);
  • In other places, the Bible teaches salvation and repentance prior to baptism (Romans 3:22, 24, 25, 26, 28, 30; 4:5; Galatians 2:16; Ephesians 2:8-9; Philippians 3:9);
  • Some verses used to support baptismal regeneration have better explanations (I don't have the space to get into that now).
You state, 'Nowhere is it taught that water baptism is only to be administered to saved adults'. Matt 28:18-20 (ESV) teaches contrary to your statement,
And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

These verses are a command to go and make disciples, baptizing them, i.e. baptizing disciples. Here, water baptism is administered to disciples, not infants.

You state,
The Holy Spirit wouldn't guide me to an unscriptural, non-historical understanding of salvation. Water baptism saves, that's what the Holy Spirit teaches through Scripture and the early Church. Why not simply believe the plain words of Scripture and the constant teaching of the Church, instead of a 16th century heresy?

So you have the absolute assurance that when you 'hear' from the Holy Spirit that your message is not contaminated by some other factors? You would be a brave man to claim such divine authority on hearing infallibly from the Holy Spirit.

Oz

There needs to be a new believer area to ask these questions. Or course the seasoned veterans of the Word won't agree on anything, that's too much to ask. The OP left.

Do we need to be dunked in water to be saved? A pretty simple question.
[Opinions must be supported by Scripture. WIP]

If we need to be dunked underwater, then who is qualified to perform such a dunking? Your momma? Your favorite TV preacher? your Pastor? your priest? A best friend?
Anyone, really. [Opinions must be supported by Scripture. WIP]

1Pe_3:21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

It answers a what?
[Opinions must be supported by Scripture. WIP]

Peter answers your initial question. Yes, we do need to be dunked in water to be saved.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G1906&t=KJV

Last edited by a moderator:
It's absolutely essential to differentiate between 'justification' and 'being saved' in these kinds of discussions. Water baptism does in a sense 'save', like child bearing saves:

"she (woman) shall be saved in childbearing" (1 Timothy 2:15 KJV)

The problem is saying 'saved' means 'justified'. And then from there it's important to discern how something 'saves' a person without that thing being a work that earns salvation.

Last edited:
The simple answer is yes. Under normal circumstances, water baptism is performed on an infant and he/she is saved at that moment because salvation is by Grace alone. We don't have to earn salvation by doing something, like "accepting Jesus as Lord",

Peter answers your initial question. Yes, we do need to be dunked in water to be saved.

[Sarcastic. ToS 2.4. WIP]

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
(Mar 16:15-16 KJV)
2Co_4:13 We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak;

[Sarcastic. ToS 2.4. WIP]

Mike.

Response to edited off topic post.

Response to off topic post.

Response to off topic post.

I was trying to understand it like you posted it. You said we don't have to say Jesus is Lord, or confess anything, and it's the Reason we can save babies by dunking them in water not able to make a choice yet. Then you said sin could mess that all up. I am not sure How I was suppose to understand what you were saying.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back