Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] Water Reserviors in Space

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Has anyone else heard of these. Presumably one was found circling a black hole 12 billion light years away. Holding 140 trillion times the amount of water on Earth. If this is true, what does this add to Genesis 1:6-10 that says on the second day God seperated the waters and called the space between the waters heaven. And on the third day God formed land out of the water below heaven.

With the new sighting of vast water reservoirs, does this change our perspective of how we view the earth formed to a more bibical view that the water came first? Or that God crafted Earth like a potter does with clay, only instead with water. Lots and lots of water?

It seems the more we know, the more we validate what the bible says.

Since hydrogen was the first element to be formed, and oxygen is found in every supernova explosion, it's not surprising that there would be a lot of water in the universe. The water in this case, is in the form of a very, very diffuse gas, a few molecules per cubic meter. This is the most distant water found, but other similar clouds of water vapor have been found near other black holes.

Since hydrogen was the first element to be formed, and oxygen is found in every supernova explosion, it's not surprising that there would be a lot of water in the universe. The water in this case, is in the form of a very, very diffuse gas, a few molecules per cubic meter. This is the most distant water found, but other similar clouds of water vapor have been found near other black holes.

Really? It was a suprising discovery to me. Perhaps not to you though. Does this, in your opinion, change the scientific narrative of how Earth was made? A newer discovery of large amounts of water in what was once thought to be mostly desert like cosmos. It did for me.

I agree with Barbarian on this one...this should be expected. But that which they are calling water (in this and other examples previously given media attention) IS liquid but they have no idea of what it is specifically!

I agree with Barbarian on this one...this should be expected. But that which they are calling water (in this and other examples previously given media attention) IS liquid but they have no idea of what it is specifically!

Couldn't be liquid. The phase diagram for water:
image022.jpg

Shows that water cannot exist as a liquid in the extremely low (essentially absent) pressure in space. Depending on the location around the black hole, it could be solid or a gas.

And, of course, spectrophotometry reveals that it's water, albeit not liquid. I suppose you could also infer the molecule from the maser effect. But I personally don't know how to do that.

I have no argument there,,,,I will assume this true and check it out...so you are saying it is water but not in liquid form.....if this substance around the black hole is indeed liquid then it is not water

Really? It was a suprising discovery to me. Perhaps not to you though. Does this, in your opinion, change the scientific narrative of how Earth was made? A newer discovery of large amounts of water in what was once thought to be mostly desert like cosmos. It did for me.

The evidence is pretty clear that the Earth formed from the collapse of a gas cloud, from the shockwave of an exploding supernova.

I have no argument there,,,,I will assume this true and check it out...so you are saying it is water but not in liquid form.....if this substance around the black hole is indeed liquid then it is not water

If I understand the physics correctly, when a substance gets close enough to a black hole for pressure to rise significantly, it is accelerated to the point that the energy would cause water to become an ionized gas, a plasma.

Couldn't be liquid. The phase diagram for water:
image022.jpg

Shows that water cannot exist as a liquid in the extremely low (essentially absent) pressure in space. Depending on the location around the black hole, it could be solid or a gas.

And, of course, spectrophotometry reveals that it's water, albeit not liquid. I suppose you could also infer the molecule from the maser effect. But I personally don't know how to do that.

many may not know what a maser is in spite of it being in use in a lot of things.

I didn't know that a microwave uses a coherent beam of microwave radiation. Weird. I can think of some really irresponsible things to do with one of them extracted from an oven. Must be some pretty hefty magnets in there, too. Meanwhile...

Water megamasers were the first type of megamaser discovered. The first water megamaser was found in 1979 in NGC 4945, a galaxy in the nearby Centaurus A/M83 Group. The first hydroxyl megamaser was found in 1982 in Arp 220, which is the nearest ultraluminous infrared galaxy to the Milky Way. All subsequent OH megamasers that have been discovered are also in luminous infrared galaxies, and there are a small number of OH kilomasers hosted in galaxies with lower infrared luminosities. Most luminous infrared galaxies have recently merged or interacted with another galaxy, and are undergoing a burst of star formation. Many of the characteristics of the emission in hydroxyl megamasers are distinct from that of hydroxyl masers within the Milky Way, including the amplification of background radiation and the ratio of hydroxyl lines at different frequencies. The population inversion in hydroxyl molecules is produced by far infrared radiation that results from absorption and re-emission of light from forming stars by surrounding interstellar dust. Zeeman splitting of hydroxyl megamaser lines may be used to measure magnetic fields in the masing regions, and this application represents the first detection of Zeeman splitting in a galaxy other than the Milky Way.

Water megamasers and kilomasers are found primarily associated with active galactic nuclei, while galactic and weaker extragalactic water masers are found in star forming regions. Despite different environments, the circumstances that produce extragalactic water masers do not seem to be very different from those that produce galactic water masers. Observations of water megamasers have been used to make accurate measurements of distances to galaxies in order to provide constraints on the Hubble constant.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megamaser

I didn't know that a microwave uses a coherent beam of microwave radiation. Weird. I can think of some really irresponsible things to do with one of them extracted from an oven. Must be some pretty hefty magnets in there, too. Meanwhile...

Water megamasers were the first type of megamaser discovered. The first water megamaser was found in 1979 in NGC 4945, a galaxy in the nearby Centaurus A/M83 Group. The first hydroxyl megamaser was found in 1982 in Arp 220, which is the nearest ultraluminous infrared galaxy to the Milky Way. All subsequent OH megamasers that have been discovered are also in luminous infrared galaxies, and there are a small number of OH kilomasers hosted in galaxies with lower infrared luminosities. Most luminous infrared galaxies have recently merged or interacted with another galaxy, and are undergoing a burst of star formation. Many of the characteristics of the emission in hydroxyl megamasers are distinct from that of hydroxyl masers within the Milky Way, including the amplification of background radiation and the ratio of hydroxyl lines at different frequencies. The population inversion in hydroxyl molecules is produced by far infrared radiation that results from absorption and re-emission of light from forming stars by surrounding interstellar dust. Zeeman splitting of hydroxyl megamaser lines may be used to measure magnetic fields in the masing regions, and this application represents the first detection of Zeeman splitting in a galaxy other than the Milky Way.

Water megamasers and kilomasers are found primarily associated with active galactic nuclei, while galactic and weaker extragalactic water masers are found in star forming regions. Despite different environments, the circumstances that produce extragalactic water masers do not seem to be very different from those that produce galactic water masers. Observations of water megamasers have been used to make accurate measurements of distances to galaxies in order to provide constraints on the Hubble constant.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megamaser
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave_oven

Big bang theory.

The last time I heard about how the earth formed was a college astronomy class several years ago. Back then the thought was that the earth formed out orbiting gasses around the new sun. That gravity of the mass of elements eventually formed the planets of the solar system. But as far as I was aware ot was out of the elements that made the sun. Not from a shockwave of a supernova. So new information to see if it seems accurate. Ya know?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back