Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Wearing a crucifix: yes or no?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Here's a question which has been on my mind for quite a number of years now: should we wear crucifix jewellery?

I've been brought up to believe that we shouldn't wear crucifix pendants because:

a) because it showed an occupation with what is outward, and

b) jewellery (especially male jewellery) is unnecessary and immodest.

Now, when I come to evaluate the issue again, I come up with the following:

AGAINST:​

a) The crucifix has been adopted by people such as goths, rappers and earnest, sweaty, youth-camp raised hand-fed Christians with a shaky grasp of the truth but a burning desire to belong to something. I don't want to be identified with any of these people, particularly.​

b) There is the definite validity of the view that a crucifix is only a superficial symbol. While we cling to the cross of Christ in a figurative manner, should we in an outward? Certain people have fetishised the actual cross to the point that enough pieces of it have been flogged to the gullible to construct a dozen crosses. Also, it's used widely the Romish system of error. I can't imagine having a crucifix above my kitchen table, why should I have one round my neck?​

FOR:​

a) ... I actually can't think of any reasons for. I'll let you folks suggest some.​

At the moment, I wear a set of U.S. Army dog-tags, embossed with two of my favourite verses of scripture: (Psalm 117 v 5 & Romans 5 v 9). It gives me the advantage of having two of my favourite verses on my person at all times, plus it has the significance of being ID tags without my ID on them (see John 3 v 30 - Acts 4 v 12).

So!

Crucifix or no crucifix? What's your thoughts?

"Here's a question which has been on my mind for quite a number of years now: should we wear crucifix jewellery?"

The fact that you ASK the question makes it pretty clear that YOU CAN'T DO IT in Faith, so for YOU it would be SIN (Rom 14).

"I've been brought up to believe that we shouldn't wear crucifix pendants because:"

Without bothering with the reasons, OR your arguments (which are just denominational hang-ups, rationalizations, and generally unimportant in the absolute) this is probably related to why you can't do it in faith.

At the moment, I wear-etc.

No problem - whatever "floats your boat" that you can do IN FAITH is just fine. Your symbology wouldn't necessarily "Grab" me at all - I probably wouldn't notice, since "personal ornamentation" is totally uninteresting to me.

I DID know a Christian man (Nazarene) in my age group who was a Real-Estate Broker, and who had a diamond ring - that God WOULDN'T Let him wear. I assumed that for HIM it was a "vanity" issue. I wouldn't have a BIT of problem wearing a diamond ring, or two. BUT since it would be totally unimportant to me, I just wouldn't bother, and wouldn't waste the ca$h on 'em anyway.

Derek Prince suggested once, that a little silver "gallows", or a little gold "electric chair" would be a more "2012 culturally relevant" symbol of what the cross REALLY was.

should we wear crucifix jewellery?

This is hardly a question of should or shouldn't .. for wearing crucifix jewelry has nothing to do with salvation or losing it.

I do not wear jewelry and I hate to wear anything on my neck, still I will never judge one who wears a crucifix jewelry, male or female, or even one who has them tattooed on skin. God knows the person's heart's intent and does not look at outward appearances.

AGAINST:​

a) The crucifix has been adopted by people such as goths, rappers and earnest, sweaty, youth-camp raised hand-fed Christians with a shaky grasp of the truth but a burning desire to belong to something. I don't want to be identified with any of these people, particularly.​

And I don't believe you are gonna get identified with this group just because of a piece of jewelry hung around your neck !

You sound like a very conservative/traditional kind of believer ...

Didn't Christians adopt their rock music too ? Don't some of us love to wear black outfits like them?

It doesn't make us one of them, does it ?

I love rock music and love to wear black and I certainly do not identify with them neither do I get mistaken for one of them.

b) Certain people have fetishised the actual cross to the point that enough pieces of it have been flogged to the gullible to construct a dozen crosses. Also, it's used widely the Romish system of error. I can't imagine having a crucifix above my kitchen table, why should I have one round my neck?​

Therein lies the problem .... just don't keep any crosses if we cannot draw a line between merely keeping them and turning them into objects of obsession and worship.

Keeping crosses is not going to fortify or protect anyone's salvation !

At the moment, I wear a set of U.S. Army dog-tags, embossed with two of my favourite verses of scripture: (Psalm 117 v 5 & Romans 5 v 9). It gives me the advantage of having two of my favourite verses on my person at all times, plus it has the significance of being ID tags without my ID on them (see John 3 v 30 - Acts 4 v 12).

That's great ! .... :thumbsup

... if it reminds you of God's Word, helps keep His Word close to your heart and encourages you, by all means, keep it. :yes

Do not focus on what mere men think or believe. Instead, hear the Word of the Lord your God: You shall not make for yourself a carved image- any likeness of any thing that is in the heavens above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them nor serve them.
Whether you believe it or not, this also includes crosses.

WHAT!? No replies to my flavor flav comment! I thought it would have been worthy of a few lol's and a rofl or two by now. :biglol

Ever heard of the Ten Commandments?

Take a look at number two.

Yeah its fine you live under grace Just dont wear it inverted and it shouldn't cause you any grief.

Yeah its fine you live under grace Just dont wear it inverted and it shouldn't cause you any grief.

The inverted cross as a satanist symbol is a modern myth. It is in fact the cross of St. Peter; strictly speaking there is absolutely nothing wrong with it -- as long as you know what it stands for.

The inverted cross as a satanist symbol is a modern myth. It is in fact the cross of St. Peter; strictly speaking there is absolutely nothing wrong with it -- as long as you know what it stands for.
Most modern people would equate an inverted cross with the church of Satan or a try hard looser trying to look cool. It gets into that stumbling block for your brother area..

That is why I said as long as you know what is stands for.

What others may think should not bother you.

It is the satanists that ridicule themselves. They think that they are ubercool with their inverted crosses, but in reality they are wearing a strongly Catholic symbol on their neck. Ha! Take that! ;)

Try googling "Nero's Cross" and read about the origins of it.

Oh, never mind. I did it for you. http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Wicca%20&%20Witchcraft/peace_sign.htm

There's no evidence that anyone wore an upside-down cross after Peter died, and why would anyone wear something that pointed toward him? Nero introduced it.

I agree with Chris. The second commandment says not to create false idols. My experience is that Christians don't idolize crosses. It's merely something to remind them of Christ's sacrifice. I believe our Lord looks into, and knows, the hearts of men. He knows its condition. There are right and wrong reasons to do virtually anything, wearing a crucifix included.

Try googling "Nero's Cross" and read about the origins of it.

Oh, never mind. I did it for you. http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False Religions/Wicca & Witchcraft/peace_sign.htm

There's no evidence that anyone wore an upside-down cross after Peter died, and why would anyone wear something that pointed toward him? Nero introduced it.

I agree with Chris. The second commandment says not to create false idols. My experience is that Christians don't idolize crosses. It's merely something to remind them of Christ's sacrifice. I believe our Lord looks into, and knows, the hearts of men. He knows its condition. There are right and wrong reasons to do virtually anything, wearing a crucifix included.
First the Second Commandment is as plain as it gets.

Second, there is a great difference between a crucifix and a cross.

Nero's cross and the cross of St. Peter are not the same thing.

Nero's cross is a so called broken cross, while St. Peter's cross, and the symbol a lot of self-professed satanists wear is and inverted latin cross.

While I don't know anyone who would wear such a cross, the fact remains that as a symbol it is still validly used within the Catholic Church.

I agree with you that there is no reason to wear such a cross around your neck, but I wanted to bring attention to the fact that the symbol is not a satanic one. By accepting it is you only validate satanists.

If you look at the context of what is written in the second commandment, you will understand that the problem is the worship of such items -- i.e. idolatry.

There is nothing wrong with wearing a cross to a) remind yourself of Christ daily b) to show your allegiance to the Lord.

Even using such items as an aid for worship of the Lord is not prohibited by the second commandment.

Take it as lightly as you want Mike, after all its not as though it had ever been chisled in stone.

http://www.reformedonline.com/view/reformedonline/Are%20Pictures%20of%20Christ%20Unbiblical.htm

Hitch,

Where do we draw the line though? Have you ever watched a movie about Christ? I would take a guess at yes (could be wrong though) or a documentry? The person playing Christ in the film/documentry isn't Christ, but a representation, however reading the article you posted would shed that person as an idol, but we both know that isn't the case.

I think Paul expressed it best when he stated that if your heart convicts you, then don't do it, because it's not done in faith.

I agree that we should follow the commandments of God, Amen to that, but we should also pray for understanding, not that we break the commandments, but to understand them fully.

An example of that would be Christ himself, when he taught the Sermon on the Mount, he went through the commandments and expanded on them, giving the people (and us) understanding. If we take adultery as an example, back before the Sermon, people who have only thought adultery was sleeping with another mans wife (as an example), but Jesus said that even looking at a woman in lust is adultery.

I think we all walk a fine line between being a pharisee and a true follower of Christ. All they did was throw comments about the Law to Christ, similar things to what we throw to each other, but Christ had understanding and knew their hearts and could answer them. We, unfortunately, don't quite have the answers Christ did/does :lol

By the way, not disagreeing with you, just looking at it from a different perspective.

No, there is nothing wrong with wearing a cross or a crucifix.

pHghost said:
If you look at the context of what is written in the second commandment, you will understand that the problem is the worship of such items -- i.e. idolatry.

There is nothing wrong with wearing a cross to a) remind yourself of Christ daily b) to show your allegiance to the Lord.

Even using such items as an aid for worship of the Lord is not prohibited by the second commandment.
Agreed.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back