Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study WELCOME TO AN IN DEPTH STUDY OF MATTHEW'S GOSPEL.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Thank you my new friend gracenote. Those were great thoughts. Thank you for "I can only imagine" that is one of my favorite's and that made my day! :sohappy
It's a moving favorite of mine as well, Chopper.
I love the Savior!
We stay strong in Christ together, my new friend!
:woot2

April 22nd 2015 Matthew 15:32-39 Where Was Their Faith?
... Sometimes I wonder about the intelligence of the disciples. It wasn't long ago that they witnessed Jesus' miraculous feeding of 5,000 men plus women and children. You'd think that they would have responded, Jesus, bless the bread and fish like You did before and there will be more than enough to feed this crowd.
Any thoughts?
Maybe, in this case, the disciples knew that to ask the Christ to do something, before it was time to, would doubt Him/His (truth the way and the life).
I cannot imagine Christ not knowing the benefits of fasting to one's faith, and the time to feed their bodies.

Sometimes I wonder about the intelligence of the disciples. It wasn't long ago that they witnessed Jesus' miraculous feeding of 5,000 men plus women and children. You'd think that they would have responded, Jesus, bless the bread and fish like You did before and there will be more than enough to feed this crowd.

And we have 2000+ years of miracles and we still doubt...

May 2nd 2015 Matthew 16:1-4 The Signs Of The Times.

Mat 16:1 And the Pharisees and Sadducees came, and to test him they asked him to show them a sign from heaven.
Mat 16:2 He answered them, "When it is evening, you say, 'It will be fair weather, for the sky is red.'
Mat 16:3 And in the morning, 'It will be stormy today, for the sky is red and threatening.' You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times.
Mat 16:4 An evil and adulterous generation seeks for a sign, but no sign will be given to it except the sign of Jonah." So he left them and departed.

It seems to me that the leaders of Israel were present at most or all of the miracles that Jesus did in various regions of their concern. Had they been as spiritual as they claimed to be, they would have seen their Messiah at work. But, they hated Jesus so much that the hate overshadowed their perception of Who Jesus really was.

Jesus said that they could discern the weather by the sky, they should have discerned the times that Isaiah spoke about, especially about Jesus' birth. Also Isaiah prophesied many things about the Messiah which fit Jesus. They had no excuse for not knowing Who Jesus was. All they wanted was a side show about some sign from Heaven which would be against the purpose of the Messiah Jesus.

The only sign that Jesus was willing to give was Jonah. I find it interesting that the sign of Jonah was his death, burial, and resurrection. That would not make any sense until Jesus died and was buried and rose from the dead. I wonder if any of the Pharisees ever mentioned it.

very interesting passage...
The church leaders did not want to loose their income... their power... their prestige ...
Some things never change

Another/added viewpoint is that an evil and adulterous generation seeks for a sign in the hope of knowing how long they can remain, and get away with, being evil and adulterous (sinning), then just before the appointed time repent.. But as Jesus will mention in 24:36."No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father."

The woman declared that she believed, by faith, that even though she was a Gentile she could share in the children's bread, just as the puppies ate the crumbs of the children's bread that fell from the master's table. She was very humble in knowing that it was not her birth right or her national right as a member of the nation of Israel.

Does the master's table represent the Kingdom of God? I don't know, never thought of that until this minute. :shrug
The kingdom was taught from John the Baptist on.
King David's men ate from the table of shewbread.
Jesus mentioned the table when the disciples ate grain on sabbath.
This is probably foreshadowing of things to come.

eddif

Another/added viewpoint is that an evil and adulterous generation seeks for a sign in the hope of knowing how long they can remain, and get away with, being evil and adulterous (sinning),
I have another view of that scripture and the use of the word adulterous. I believe Jesus was telling the Jews that their generation was actually committing adultery against God. Like in the OT when they went into idolatry God said He was their husband and they as His spouse had committed adultery. So I think this was more serious than ordinary sins.

Jer_3:8 And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also.

The only sign that Jesus was willing to give was Jonah. I find it interesting that the sign of Jonah was his death, burial, and resurrection. That would not make any sense until Jesus died and was buried and rose from the dead. I wonder if any of the Pharisees ever mentioned it.
Also the activity of Jonah in the fishes belly is very important. Jonah 2:9 below.
I Peter 3:19
By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
The message....
Jonah 2:9
But I will sacrifice unto thee with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that that I have vowed. Salvation is of the LORD.
Romans 10:19
For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Jesus the preacher spoke in Abraham's bosom
Revelation 6:9
And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:
10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?
11 And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled;

These are dead folks talking about waiting for the future (resurrection).

Jesus (the preacher ) was active in the grave.

eddif

April 16th 2015 Matthew 15:29-31 A mountain Of Healing.

Mat 15:29 And Jesus departed from thence, and came nigh unto the sea of Galilee; and went up into a mountain, and sat down there.
Mat 15:30 And great multitudes came unto him, having with them those that were lame, blind, dumb, maimed, and many others, and cast them down at Jesus' feet; and he healed them:
Mat 15:31 Insomuch that the multitude wondered, when they saw the dumb to speak, the maimed to be whole, the lame to walk, and the blind to see: and they glorified the God of Israel.

Our previous study found a Gentile woman pleading with all that she could muster to get Jesus to heal her daughter, where here in this section, there does not seem to be any asking or pleading....Jesus probably went up into the mountain to get a much needed rest but as soon as people heard that He was there, they flocked to Him for healing and to hear His words.

I would imagine that most of those in the crowd were Jewish, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were some Gentiles who had to sneak in to get their healing. When we look at those who were healed, we see things like those who were "maimed" having a limb, hand, or foot miraculously attached where there was none. Wow, talk about the creative ability of the Son of God, this must have astonished the crowd. It's no wonder that they glorified the God of Israel.
Just as many differing diseases were healed; so it is with the approaches:
Some cried out
The lady (with the issue of blood) approached quietly to touch
Jesus was approached with faith
Jesus approached dead Lazrus
Jesus approached demonacs
Paralyzed man was brought o Jesus
The multitudes came
How many other ways?

We usually stress the differing problems.

We should stress that the hearers approach Jesus in their personal way. I have thought I had a pretty good formula for me , but I have surely noticed there are a huge number of ways to come. Oh there can be some scriptural guidelines. There can also be a large number of scriptural variations in the approaches. We should encourage folks seeking in a way differently than our patented way. LOL

eddif

Maybe I will catch up.

Y'all can feel free to say (well I just do not think that is right).

When multitudes appear you can depend on parables being used. When Jesus healed the miltitudes it was a symbol of the spiritual healing the disciples would do when they grew up to be apostles. The private teaching sessions were more directed at the inner man. I absolutely think physical healing is for today. If people see physical healing, they can trust God for spiritual healing. The limbs spoken of are also individuals that are damaged. We as individuals are often maimed and removed from the body of Christ.

III John 1:9
I wrote unto the church: but Diotrephes, who loveth to have the preeminence among them, receiveth us not.
10 Wherefore, if I come, I will remember his deeds which he doeth, prating against us with malicious words: and not content therewith, neither doth he himself receive the brethren, and forbiddeth them that would, and casteththem out of the church.

Many members of the church are removed by arrogant false teachers. When one is returned to his rightful place in the church it is a healing.

Physical healing now? Yes. Spiritual restoration now? Yes.

Truth taught.
III John 1:4
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.

We seem to miss the prophetic in the physical. To heal physically is a preamble to the greater works of snatching some from the fire. Jesus is the one quoting the greater works. We do not drop healing though.

What did Gump say? (And that is all I have to say about that). LOL

eddif

April 6th 2015 Matthew 16:5-12 Corruption Ruins Good!

Mat 16:5 When the disciples reached the other side, they had forgotten to bring any bread.
Mat 16:6 Jesus said to them, "Watch and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees."
Mat 16:7 And they began discussing it among themselves, saying, "We brought no bread."
Mat 16:8 But Jesus, aware of this, said, "O you of little faith, why are you discussing among yourselves the fact that you have no bread?
Mat 16:9 Do you not yet perceive? Do you not remember the five loaves for the five thousand, and how many baskets you gathered?
Mat 16:10 Or the seven loaves for the four thousand, and how many baskets you gathered?
Mat 16:11 How is it that you fail to understand that I did not speak about bread? Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees."
Mat 16:12 Then they understood that he did not tell them to beware of the leaven of bread, but of the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees.

The Disciples were so preoccupied with earthly needs, like where their next meal was coming from that when Jesus taught a spiritual lesson which was designed to teach them an important lesson for the future, they had no idea what He was talking about.

Jesus wanted to teach the Disciples about the danger of believing the teachings of the Pharisees and Sadducees. Their teachings were not God centered, but self centered. They taught strict adherence to their man made traditions which went way beyond the original commands, statutes, and rules of God. The Pharisees and Sadducees never practiced what they preached.

The teachings of the leaders of Israel are likened to yeast. Here is what Albert Barnes says about the effect of yeast.
"Erroneous doctrines are like leaven in the following respects:
1. They are at first slight and unimportant in appearance, just as leaven is small in quantity as compared with the mass that is to be leavened.
2. They are insinuated into the soul unawares and silently, and are difficult of detection.
3. They act gradually.
4. They act most certainly.
5. They will pervade all the soul, and bring all the faculties under their control."

After Jesus rebukes the Disciples, they realize that He was speaking not about food for their bellies but a warning against believing false doctrine from the leaders of Israel.

Leaven is not always a bad thing
Mat_13:33 Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.

The leaven of the Pharisees:
No one will be substantially nourished by a meal they present
There will not be abundant leftovers
Puffed up presentations about man
External importance about leaven
Other (?)

The leaven of the Kingdom:
Does not puff up
Organic nourishment
Nourishes body, soul and spirit
Multiplies to produce leftovers
Internal importance of thoughts and intent of heart / mind
Kingdom meal includes weightier matters (meat)
Other (?)

eddif

May 14th 2015 Matthew 16:13-20 Who Is Jesus?

Because I'm short on time, I'm presenting what Albert Barnes has to say about these verses. (e-Sword.ne

Matthew 16:13 "When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? 16:14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. 16:15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. 6:20 Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ."

Matthew 16:13-20

See also Mar_8:27-29, and Luk_9:18-20.
Whom do men say ... - This passage has been variously rendered. Some have translated it, “Whom do men say that I am? the Son of man?” Others, “Whom do men say that I am - I, who am the Son of man - i. e., the Messiah?” The meaning is nearly the same. He wished to obtain the sentiments of the people respecting himself.
Mat_16:14
And they said ... - See the notes at Mat_11:14. They supposed that he might be John the Baptist, as Herod did, risen from the dead. See Mat_14:2. He performed many miracles, and strongly resembled John in his manner of life, and in the doctrines which he taught.
Mat_16:16
And Simon Peter answered ... - Peter, expressing the views of the apostles, with characteristic forwardness answered the question proposed to them by Jesus: “Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
The Christ - The Messiah, the “Anointed” of God. See the notes at Mat_1:1.
The Son - That is, the Son by way of eminence - in a special sense. See the notes at Mat_1:17. This appellation was understood as implying divinity, Joh_10:29-36.
Of the living God - The term “living” was given to the true God to distinguish him from idols, that are dead, or lifeless blocks and stones. He is also the Source of life, temporal, spiritual, and eternal. The word “living” is often given to him in the Old Testament, Jos_3:10; 1Sa_17:26, 1Sa_17:36; Jer_10:9-10, etc. In this noble confession Peter expressed the full belief of himself and of his brethren that he was the long-expected Messiah. Other people had very different opinions of him, but they were satisfied, and were not ashamed to confess it.
Mat_16:17
And Jesus answered, Blessed art thou ... - Simon Bar-jona is the same as Simon son of Jona. Bar is a Syriac word signifying son. The father of Peter, therefore, was Jona, or Jonas, Joh_1:42; Joh_21:16-17.
Blessed - That is, happy, honored, evincing a proper spirit, and entitled to the approbation of God.
For flesh and blood - This phrase usually signifies man (see Gal_1:16; Eph_6:12), and it has been commonly supposed that Jesus meant to say that man had not revealed it, but he seems rather to have referred to himself. “This truth you have not learned from my lowly appearance, from my human nature, from my apparent rank and standing in the world. You, Jews, were expecting to know the Messiah by his external splendor; his pomp and power as a man; but you have not learned me in this manner. I have shown no such indication of my Messiahship. Flesh and blood have not shown it. In spite of my appearance, my lowly state - my lack of resemblance to what you have expected, you have learned it as from God.” They had been taught this by Jesus’ miracles, his instructions, and by the direct teachings of God upon their minds. To “reveal” is to make known, or communicate something that was unknown or secret.
Mat_16:18
And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter - The word “Peter,” in Greek, means “a rock.” It was given to Simon by Christ when he called him to be a disciple, Joh_1:42
Cephas is a Syriac word, meaning the same as Peter - a rock, or stone. The meaning of this phrase may be thus expressed: “Thou, in saying that I am the Son of God, hast called me by a name expressive of my true character. I, also, have given to thee a name expressive of your character. I have called you Peter, a rock, denoting firmness, solidity, stability, and your confession has shown that the name is appropriate. I see that you are worthy of the name, and will be a distinguished support of my religion.”
And upon this rock ... - This passage has given rise to many different interpretations. Some have supposed that the word “rock” refers to Peter’s confession, and that Jesus meant to say, upon this rock, this truth that thou hast confessed, that I am the Messiah and upon confessions of this from all believers, I will build my church. Confessions like this shall be the test of piety, and in such confessions shall my church stand amid the flames of persecution, the fury of the gates of hell. Others have thought that Jesus referred to himself. Christ is called a rock, Isa_28:16; 1Pe_2:8. And it has been thought that he turned from Peter to himself, and said, “Upon this rock, this truth that I am the Messiah - upon myself as the Messiah, I will build my church.” Both these interpretations, though plausible, seem forced upon the passage to avoid the main difficulty in it. Another interpretation is, that the word “rock” refers to Peter himself.
This is the obvious meaning of the passage; and had it not been that the Church of Rome has abused it, and applied it to what was never intended, no other interpretation would have been sought for. “Thou art a rock. Thou hast shown thyself firm, and suitable for the work of laying the foundation of the church. Upon thee will I build it. Thou shalt be highly honored; thou shalt be first in making known the gospel to both Jews and Gentiles.” This was accomplished. See Acts 2:14-36, where he first preached to the Jews, and Acts 10, where he preached the gospel to Cornelius and his neighbors, who were Gentiles. Peter had thus the honor of laying the foundation of the church among the Jews and Gentiles; and this is the plain meaning of this passage. See also Gal_2:9. But Christ did not mean, as the Roman Catholics say he did, to exalt Peter to supreme authority above all the other apostles, or to say that he was the only one upon whom he would rear his church. See Acts 15, where the advice of James, and not that of Peter, was followed. See also Gal_2:11, where Paul withstood Peter to his face, because he was to be blamed - a thing which could not have happened if Christ (as the Roman Catholics say) meant that Peter was absolute and infallible. More than all, it is not said here, or anywhere else in the Bible, that Peter would have infallible successors who would be the vicegerents of Christ and the head of the church. The whole meaning of the passage is this: “I will make you the honored instrument of making known my gospel first to Jews and Gentiles, and I will make you a firm and distinguished preacher in building my church.”
Will build my church - This refers to the custom of building in Judea upon a rock or other very firm foundation. See the notes at Mat_7:24. The word “church” literally means “those called out,” and often means an assembly or congregation. See Act_19:32, Greek; Act_7:38. It is applied to Christians as being “called out” from the world. It means sometimes the whole body of believers, Eph_1:22; 1Co_10:32. This is its meaning in this place. It means, also, a particular society of believers worshipping in one place, Act_8:1; Act_9:31; 1Co_1:2, etc.; sometimes, also, a society in a single house, as Rom_16:5. In common language it means the church visible - i. e., all who profess religion; or invisible, i. e., all who are real Christians, professors or not.
And the gates of hell ... - Ancient cities were surrounded by walls. In the gates by which they were entered were the principal places for holding courts, transacting business, and deliberating on public matters. See the notes at Mat_7:13. Compare the notes at Job_29:7. See also Deu_22:4; 1Sa_4:18; Jer_36:10; Gen_19:1; Psa_69:12; Psa_9:14; Pro_1:21. The word “gates,” therefore, is used for counsels, designs, machinations, evil purposes.
“Hell” means, here, the place of departed spirits, particularly evil spirits; and the meaning of the passage is, that all the plots, stratagems, and machinations of the enemies of the church would not be able to overcome it a promise that has been remarkably fulfilled.

Page 2 Matthew 16:13-20

Mat_16:19
And I will give unto thee ... - A key is an instrument for opening a door.
He that is in possession of it has the power of access, and has a general care of a house. Hence, in the Bible, a key is used as a symbol of superintendence an emblem of power and authority. See the Isa_22:22 note; Rev_1:18; Rev_3:7 notes. The kingdom of heaven here means, doubtless, the church on earth. See the notes at Mat_3:2. When the Saviour says, therefore, he will give to Peter the keys of the kingdom of heaven, he means that he will make him the instrument of opening the door of faith to the world the first to preach the gospel to both Jews and Gentiles. This was done, Acts 2:14-36; 10. The “power of the keys” was given, on this occasion, to Peter alone, solely for this reason; the power of “binding and loosing” on earth was given to the other apostles with him. See Mat_18:18. The only pre-eminence, then, that Peter had was the honor of first opening the doors of the gospel to the world.
Whatsoever thou shalt bind ... - The phrase “to bind” and “to loose” was often used by the Jews. It meant to prohibit and to permit. To bind a thing was to forbid it; to loose it, to allow it to be done. Thus, they said about gathering wood on the Sabbath day, “The school of Shammei binds it” - i. e., forbids it; “the school of Hillel looses it” - i. e., allows it. When Jesus gave this power to the apostles, he meant that whatsoever they forbade in the church should have divine authority; whatever they permitted, or commanded, should also have divine authority - that is, should be bound or loosed in heaven, or meet the approbation of God. They were to be guided infallibly in the organization of the church:
1. by the teaching of Christ, and,
2. by the teaching of the Holy Spirit.
This does not refer to persons, but to things - “whatsoever,” not whosoever. It refers to rites and ceremonies in the church. Such of the Jewish customs as they should forbid were to be forbidden, and such as they thought proper to permit were to be allowed. Such rites as they should appoint in the church were to have the force of divine authority. Accordingly, they commanded the Gentile converts to “abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood” Act_15:20; and, in general, they organized the church, and directed what was to be observed and what was to be avoided. The rules laid down by them in the Acts of the Apostles and in the Epistles, in connection with the teachings of the Saviour as recorded in the evangelists, constitute the only law binding on Christians in regard to the order of the church, and the rites and ceremonies to be observed in it.
Mat_16:20
Then charged ... - That is, he commanded them.
Mar_8:30 and Luke Luk_9:21 say (in Greek) that he strictly or severely charged them. He laid emphasis on it, as a matter of much importance. The reason of this seems to be that his time had not fully come; that he was not willing to rouse the Jewish malice, and to endanger his life, by having it proclaimed that he was the Messiah. The word “Jesus” is wanting in many manuscripts, and should probably be omitted: “Then he charged them strictly to tell no man that he was the Christ or Messiah.”

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back