Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study WELCOME TO AN IN DEPTH STUDY OF MATTHEW'S GOSPEL.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I know may will disagree, But I feel (In my Opinion) This has been taught wrong since Augustine. Calvinism is the grandchild of Gnosticism, included in Christian thought by Augustine. This is a subject that we need to very seriously RECONSIDER.
God in His own time decided to make man for fellowship, a creature able and willing to by choice come to Fellowship with GOD.

Did God need man? NO!
Did man in any way add to or complete God? NO!
God made man because He wanted too.

In the beginning God created the heaven and earth and it was good.
God created man and woman and it was good.
The next point we jump to in the study is man disobeying God. And we often come to some, I think, unfounded conclusions. Possibly we need to start with WHY God created all the world and Mankind in the first place. We need this foundation before we get to the fall and a medieval intermix of ideas from many sources.

Which point do we need as the basis, the foundation of our theology?

1. God created Man for Fellowship and gave man “The Image of God” so he could truly fellowship with God. Man has to have enough of the “Image of God” to Truly Commune with and Relate to God. Man was made to Rule with Dominion over the earth. God gave man enough free will so that he could and has the right to make choices on his own, and God will honor the choices.

2. God from eternity knew man would sin, creation and God’s plan was to provide a foundation for the plan of saving Grace. When Adam disobeyed God he became totally depraved and cannot come to God by choice. Man has no free will or a will so corrupted that he cannot use it to know God.

But this thing commanded I them, saying, Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and ye shall be my people: Jer_7:23

We so often look at the creation and jump right to Adam disobeying God that we miss the point of the story, and the foundation of all the rest of our understanding and theology.

The question has been asked, “Why did God create the world and man if He knew man would sin?” Like so many questions this one may be placing the emphasis in the wrong place.

Look at a few ideas that may help us understand.

1. The universe, the milky way, our solar system, the Earth were made by God for MAN to have a home, A place where God and Man could fellowship. God, self-existent, eternal, Holy, unchanging, all knowing, sovereign, made the world and man because HE WANTED TOO. God was making a creature for fellowship, love, and service. Someone to commune with, this fellowship, I think, is the key!

2. God did not gain from, have too, need too make man. All this is about fellowship. Fellowship with a creature that could and would choose to fellowship with Him.

3. God is self-existent (eternity, space and time, exist in the self-existent God). He does not live in eternity, minute by minute, day by day, God INHABITS eternity, self-existent, NOW. All of eternity, every second of time, is now present before God. Yes, He saw the broad way, He saw the choices people would make, not to love and obey and fellowship with Him. Yes, He saw all the ones that by free choice would choose not to love or know Him. God gave man enough free will so that he could and has the right to make choices on his own, and God will honor the choices. IS 57:15

4. But, so long ago when God looked at eternity He saw the ones that choose to love Him. Yes, He saw the narrow way that few find, He saw all our sins and failures. But, He looked beyond all that and saw fellowship with the ones that choose to follow Him. He saw in eternity that there would be some that elect by their free moral choice to serve and fellowship with Him.

5. Yes, He saw His holiness and righteousness and He knew the price of man’s sin would have to be paid. Yes, He saw the Cross. Before time He knew He would go to that old rugged cross in my place…HE DID IT ANYWAY!

I do not know where in your theology you need to place this, but it is a fact of the Bible story, The Relation between God and man is FELLOWSHIP not Grace! Grace comes later to fix a problem and restore fellowship.

Some say man cannot have a free will because the sovereignty of God would be limited. Nothing can happen that is not the will of God. OK, God’s will is that the creature in His world can choose to serve Him or not.

Religion has resulted in the invention of a new meaning for the word "sovereign," which basically means God controls everything. Nothing can happen but what He wills or allows. However, there is nothing in the actual definition that states that. The dictionary defines "sovereign" as, "1. Paramount; supreme. 2. Having supreme rank or power. 3. Independent: a sovereign state. 4. Excellent." None of these definitions means that God controls everything.

It is assumed that since God is paramount or supreme that nothing can happen without His approval. That is not what the Scriptures teach. In 2 Peter 3:9, Peter said, "The Lord is...not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." This clearly states that it is not the Lord's will for anyone to perish, but people are perishing. Jesus said, "Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leads to destruction, and many there be which go in there at" (Matt. 7:13). Relatively few people are saved compared to the number that are lost. God's will for people concerning salvation is not being accomplished.The Sovereignty Of God By Andrew Wommack

The “Not” and all that follows from people not obeying God is the result of people choosing to disobey God, using a free will choice that God gave them. How important is that choice? God seeing eternity, knowing some would choose the world and not obey Him, Then looking to all who would obey and fellowship with Him, loved us so much,

EVEN SEEING THE CROSS; HE ALLOWED FREE WILL CHOICE ANYWAY!

Everyone in Gods eternal Kingdom will be there because they chose to be, It is all about fellowship with God, CHOOSING to FELLOWSHIP WITH GOD!

Hi Stephen. I liked your post very much. I have one question though. This is your quote, "Calvinism is the grandchild of Gnosticism" I'm a student of Calvinism, and I honestly have never read anything that would cause me to believe that he was a Gnostic. I have searched Wikipedia's notes on the Fathers of Gnosticism, and have not found Augustine or Calvin. Could you please post your source for your statement?

Hi Stephen. I liked your post very much. I have one question though. This is your quote, "Calvinism is the grandchild of Gnosticism" I'm a student of Calvinism, and I honestly have never read anything that would cause me to believe that he was a Gnostic. I have searched Wikipedia's notes on the Fathers of Gnosticism, and have not found Augustine or Calvin. Could you please post your source for your statement?

https://openairoutreach.wordpress.c...ine-corrupt-the-church-with-gnostic-doctrine/

This link has all the ideas and research. I was taught the "Calvinism is the grandchild of Gnosticism" when I was in College.
Calvin was not Gnostic. Calvin like so many today repeated the teachings of the Church, that started with Augustine (who had a Gnostic background, and was a student of Philosophy) he included these teachings in his theology. So yes Augustine tied Gnostic thought and christian thought together and the error is still being taught today. Before his error there is no such teaching of man unable to choose by his God given free will to serve God. 79 times in the OT God said "Hear my voice, Keep my Commandments and I will be your God and you will be My people." IT does not say God choose for them or made them hear Him, HE gave them the Choice. Israel as a nation refused to obey. There was always a "Condition" to be met. You choose to Hear! You choose to keep My commandments! I will be you God and you will be my people.

On my blog there is a study called Two Roads out of Time and into Eternity.
The second road is a more complete discussion of where Gnosticism came from. It is Satan's Counterfeit of God's Plan and it is very real.

Last edited:
https://openairoutreach.wordpress.c...ine-corrupt-the-church-with-gnostic-doctrine/

This link has all the ideas and research. I was taught the "Calvinism is the grandchild of Gnosticism" when I was in College.
Calvin was not Gnostic. Calvin like so many today repeated the teachings of the Church, that started with Augustine (who had a Gnostic background, and was a student of Philosophy) he included these teachings in his theology. So yes Augustine tied Gnostic thought and christian thought together and the error is still being taught today. Before his error there is no such teaching of man unable to choose by his God given free will to serve God. 79 times in the OT God said "Hear my voice, Keep my Commandments and I will be your God and you will be My people." IT does not say God choose for them or made them hear Him, HE gave them the Choice. Israel as a nation refused to obey. There was always a "Condition" to be met. You choose to Hear! You choose to keep My commandments! I will be you God and you will be my people.

On my blog there is a study called Two Roads out of Time and into Eternity.
falseThe second road is a more complete discussion of where Gnosticism came from. It is Satan's Counterfeit of God's Plan and it is very real.

Thank you for your reply. I do disagree with Jesse Morrell. In reality, he is teaching on the difference between Calvinism and Armenianism. Free will was the main theme of Jacobus Arminius. I believe that Arminius was heavily influenced by the teachings of the 5th Century Pelagians. Augustine fought against the Pelagian notion that man can do everything right, he taught that man could do little right. Thus, he reasoned, man cannot even accept the offer of salvation — it must be God who chooses for himself individuals to bring to salvation.

Now, what I believe, in my attempt to get inside of Calvin's head, I believe that he was so enraged by the theology of the Pelagians and the Armenian's that he focused only on the Elect predestined Believers and not those who were not. IMO, Big mistake. At that time, there was so much false teachings going around including Papal junk as well as Armenianism.

Some say that I have attempted to reconcile Calvin and Arminius, and that may be so, that is not my attempt though. I have, in my studies, relied totally on the Spirit of God to enlighten my mind and cause me to know the Truth. I believe that my theology on the "General Call of the Gospel" is such a revelation because I have not heard anyone else explain it, in this context.

As far as "free will" goes my belief is that Calvin and Augustine saw it as some kind of a "work" in which the mind and heart were exercised, and perhaps some research was exercised as well making it a work and not acceptable.

The General Call of the Gospel (GCOG) goes out to all of Whom God is not willing that any perish. (Avid Calvinists claim that God is not willing that any of the Elect will not perish) which I don't buy into. The GCOG thru Missionaries and Evangelists goes out all over the globe and offers Salvation to those whosoever will. Many will be saved in the age of Grace as well as the Tribulation.

The General Call of the Gospel (GCOG) goes out to all of Whom God is not willing that any perish. (Avid Calvinists claim that God is not willing that any of the Elect will not perish) which I don't buy into. The GCOG thru Missionaries and Evangelists goes out all over the globe and offers Salvation to those whosoever will. Many will be saved in the age of Grace as well as the Tribulation.

This idea I like. And I agree that there were many ideas in the world of Augustine and Calvin. I do not think we are that far apart.

There were many "theologians" that had 85% of the story. The blending of ideas Philosophical, Christian, Jewish, and Gnostic made a mess of the theology handed down to us. There is a lot here and I do not pretend to know the answers, not even some - let alone ALL.
I have some ideas from a study of Ancient Mysticism, and the ones that taught it in their theology. It is a complex teaching that in it's main point says "Man of his own knowledge and ability can free himself of sinful flesh, and in the spirit rise up and be as God."
In mysticism there is a dualism of Good and Evil. The Spirit is Good, the Flesh is Evil. Look at how Paul uses Spirit vs Flesh, I think mysticism is what he was referencing. Many Medieval Thinkers saw this "Man can of himself come to God" as the serious problem it is thus the emphasis on NO WORKS. Please understand I think Augustine and Calvin, and ALL the Church Fathers were good serious men of God, They discussed and taught WHAT THEY KNEW. I regularly learn from them.

This idea I like. And I agree that there were many ideas in the world of Augustine and Calvin. I do not think we are that far apart.

There were many "theologians" that had 85% of the story. The blending of ideas Philosophical, Christian, Jewish, and Gnostic made a mess of the theology handed down to us. There is a lot here and I do not pretend to know the answers, not even some - let alone ALL.
I have some ideas from a study of Ancient Mysticism, and the ones that taught it in their theology. It is a complex teaching that in it's main point says "Man of his own knowledge and ability can free himself of sinful flesh, and in the spirit rise up and be as God."
In mysticism there is a dualism of Good and Evil. The Spirit is Good, the Flesh is Evil. Look at how Paul uses Spirit vs Flesh, I think mysticism is what he was referencing. Many Medieval Thinkers saw this "Man can of himself come to God" as the serious problem it is thus the emphasis on NO WORKS. Please understand I think Augustine and Calvin, and ALL the Church Fathers were good serious men of God, They discussed and taught WHAT THEY KNEW. I regularly learn from them.

I agree with your reply. Boy are you right, in that the early Church Fathers handed down to us "a mess" and it sure takes a lot of effort and study to bring some sense to it all. I'm sure that we will be surprised when Jesus tells us the Truth in Glory.

I agree with your reply. Boy are you right, in that the early Church Fathers handed down to us "a mess" and it sure takes a lot of effort and study to bring some sense to it all. I'm sure that we will be surprised when Jesus tells us the Truth in Glory.
AMEN!

Thank you for your reply. I do disagree with Jesse Morrell. In reality, he is teaching on the difference between Calvinism and Armenianism. Free will was the main theme of Jacobus Arminius. I believe that Arminius was heavily influenced by the teachings of the 5th Century Pelagians. Augustine fought against the Pelagian notion that man can do everything right, he taught that man could do little right. Thus, he reasoned, man cannot even accept the offer of salvation — it must be God who chooses for himself individuals to bring to salvation.

Now, what I believe, in my attempt to get inside of Calvin's head, I believe that he was so enraged by the theology of the Pelagians and the Armenian's that he focused only on the Elect predestined Believers and not those who were not. IMO, Big mistake. At that time, there was so much false teachings going around including Papal junk as well as Armenianism.

Some say that I have attempted to reconcile Calvin and Arminius, and that may be so, that is not my attempt though. I have, in my studies, relied totally on the Spirit of God to enlighten my mind and cause me to know the Truth. I believe that my theology on the "General Call of the Gospel" is such a revelation because I have not heard anyone else explain it, in this context.

As far as "free will" goes my belief is that Calvin and Augustine saw it as some kind of a "work" in which the mind and heart were exercised, and perhaps some research was exercised as well making it a work and not acceptable.

I think you meant the ArmInians. And Jacob Arminius was only around 4 when Calvin died. Also the Arminian view is NOT t.he Pelegian view and Calvin did NOT teach what Augustine taught. Actually he took the treatise regarding the Pelegian view and warped it by not including the other teachings of Augustine that balance the view. Augustine's complete teaching on this was orthodox (exactly like the earliest fathers). One could but incorrectly so call it Semi-Pelegian (like Arminius) but it is not and it is entirely biblical.

In fact Augustine criticizes those who take what he said to the Calvinist like extreme in On Grace and Free Will. He was orthodox(on this point) just like the earliest church fathers

When I get to my own computer I will send some portions for everyone's review

Augustine, On Grace and Free Will

Chapter 1

With reference to those persons who so preach and defend man's free will, as boldly to deny, and endeavor to do away with, the grace of God which calls us to Him (like Pelagius), and delivers us from our evil deserts, and by which we obtain the good deserts which lead to everlasting life: we have already said a good deal in discussion, and committed it to writing, so far as the Lord has vouchsafed to enable us.

But since there are some persons who so defend God's grace as to deny man's free will, or who suppose that free will is denied when grace is defended (like Calvin), I have determined to write somewhat on this point…

Chapter 2

Now He has revealed to us, through His Holy Scriptures, that there is in a man a free choice of will. But how He has revealed this I do not recount in human language, but in divine (meaning through scripture). There is, to begin with, the fact that God's precepts themselves would be of no use to a man unless he had free choice of will, so that by performing them he might obtain the promised rewards. For they are given that no one might be able to plead the excuse of ignorance, as the Lord says concerning the Jews in the gospel: If I had not come and spoken unto them, they would not have sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin

Chapter 3

There are, however, persons who attempt to find excuse for themselves even from God (saying all they do or did is God’s will). The Apostle James says to such: Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God; for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempts He any man. But every man is tempted when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then, when lust has conceived, it brings forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, brings forth death. James 1:13-15 Solomon, too, in his book of Proverbs, has this answer for such as wish to find an excuse for themselves from God Himself: The folly of a man spoils his ways; but he blames God in his heart (we see this in militant Islam where even if they kill and torture or rape they say it was the will of Allah). Proverbs 19:3 And in the book of Ecclesiasticus we read: Say not, It is through the Lord that I fell away; for you ought not to do the things that He hates: nor say, He has caused me to err; for He has no need of the sinful man… The Lord hates all abomination, and they that fear God love it not. He Himself made man from the beginning, and left him in the hand of His counsel. If you be willing, you shall keep His commandments, and perform true fidelity. He has set fire and water before you: stretch forth your hand unto whether you will….

Chapter 4

What is the import of the fact that in so many passages God requires all His commandments to be kept and fulfilled? How does He make this requisition, if there is no free will? What means the happy man, of whom the Psalmist says that his will has been the law of the Lord? Does he not clearly enough show that a man by his own will takes his stand in the law of God?

Then again, there are so many commandments which in some way are expressly adapted to the human will; for instance, there is, Be not overcome of evil, Romans 12:1 and others of similar import, such as, Be not like a horse or a mule, which have no understanding; and, Reject not the counsels of your mother; Proverbs 1:8 and, Be not wise in your own conceit; Proverbs 3:7 and, Despise not the chastening of the Lord; Proverbs 3:11 and, Forget not my law; Proverbs 3:1 and, Forbear not to do good to the poor; Proverbs 3:27 and, Devise not evil against your friend; Proverbs 3:29 and, Give no heed to a worthless woman; Proverbs 5:2 and, He is not inclined to understand how to do good; and, They refused to attend to my counsel; Proverbs 1:30 with numberless other passages of the inspired Scriptures of the Old Testament. And what do they all show us but the free choice of the human will? So, again, in the evangelical and apostolic books of the New Testament what other lesson is taught us? As when it is said, Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth; Matthew 6:19 and, Fear not them which kill the body; Matthew 10:28 and, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself; Matthew 16:24 and again, Peace on earth to men of good will. Luke 2:14 So also that the Apostle Paul says: Let him do what he wills; he sins not if he marry. Nevertheless, he that stands steadfast in his heart, having no necessity, but has power over his own will, and has so decreed in his heart that he will keep his virgin, does well. 1 Corinthians 7:36-37 And so again, If I do this willingly, I have a reward; 1 Corinthians 9:17 while in another passage he says, Be sober and righteous, and sin not; 1 Corinthians 15:34 and again, As you have a readiness to will, so also let there be a prompt performance; 2 Corinthians 8:11 then he remarks to Timothy about the younger widows, When they have begun to wax wanton against Christ, they choose to marry. So in another passage, All that will to live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution; 2 Timothy 3:12 while to Timothy himself he says, Neglect not the gift that is in you. 1 Timothy 4:14 Then to Philemon he addresses this explanation: That your benefit should not be as it were of necessity, but of your own will. Servants also he advises to obey their masters with a good will. Ephesians 6:7 In strict accordance with this, James says: Do not err, my beloved brethren . . . and have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ with respect to persons; and, Do not speak evil one of another. James 4:11 So also John in his Epistle writes, Do not love the world, 1 John 2:15 and other things of the same import. Now wherever it is said, Do not do this, and Do not do that, and wherever there is any requirement in the divine admonitions for the work of the will to do anything, or to refrain from doing anything, there is at once a sufficient proof of free will. No man, therefore, when he sins, can in his heart blame God for it, but every man must impute the fault to himself. Nor does it detract at all from a man's own will when he performs any act in accordance with God. Indeed, a work is then to be pronounced a good one when a person does it willingly; then, too, may the reward of a good work be hoped for from Him concerning whom it is written, He shall reward every man according to his works. Matthew 16:27

MAY 8th 2016 MATTHEW 20:17-19 JESUS ANNOUNCES HIS DEATH.

17 "And Jesus going up to Jerusalem took the twelve disciples apart in the way, and said unto them, 18 Behold, we go up to Jerusalem; and the Son of man shall be betrayed unto the chief priests and unto the scribes, and they shall condemn him to death, 19 And shall deliver him to the Gentiles to mock, and to scourge, and to crucify him: and the third day he shall rise again." (Scripture, by Bible Hub)

This is the third time that Jesus has announced that He was going to be crucified. These three verses are sandwiched between a teaching on the sovereignty of God and a Mothers request for her sons. It's almost as if, IMO, that Jesus must have felt that His Disciples were having a difficult time understanding Jesus' death, burial and resurrection.

I like what Albert Barnes had to say about this...."Behold, we go up to Jerusalem - Jesus assured them that what they feared would come to pass, but he had, in some measure, prepared their minds for this state of suffering by the promises which he had made to them, Matthew 19:27-30; Matthew 20:1-16. In all their sufferings they might be assured that eternal rewards were before them."

Reba and I really like Matthew Henry. Here is what he had to say...."Christ is more particular here in foretelling his sufferings than before. And here, as before, he adds the mention of his resurrection and his glory, to that of his death and sufferings, to encourage his disciples, and comfort them. A believing view of our once crucified and now glorified Redeemer, is good to humble a proud, self-justifying disposition. When we consider the need of the humiliation and sufferings of the Son of God, in order to the salvation of perishing sinners, surely we must be aware of the freeness and richness of Divine grace in our salvation."

Our next section of study will be about the mother of James and John, son's of Zebedee. Her request of her son's sitting next to Jesus in the Kingdom. It ought to be interesting, the lessons for us in that section.

It's almost as if, IMO, that Jesus must have felt that His Disciples were having a difficult time understanding Jesus' death, burial and resurrection.
Even after Christ told His disciples again and again that He would be crucified and rise again, this simply did not sink into their minds. Not one of the apostles anticipated His resurrection, and not one of them believed it until they were shown tangible proof. This is one of the most amazing facts in the Gospels.

Even after Christ told His disciples again and again that He would be crucified and rise again, this simply did not sink into their minds. Not one of the apostles anticipated His resurrection, and not one of them believed it until they were shown tangible proof. This is one of the most amazing facts in the Gospels.

I've noticed that too. It sounds familiar too, what with so much new knowledge of the Lord and Kingdom realm lately. Some of that is hard to believe too.

Luke 18:31-34
Luk 18:34 And they none of these things understood, and this saying was hid from them, and they were not knowing the things said.

You are absolutely right my friend. IMO, it seems like that these Jewish men held onto the National lack of faith. We see this thru out Israel's history. YHWH would tell them that He had their backs in Battle, promises, and blessings if they would simply obey His Commands, Statues and rules. The lack of faith and rebellion caused them to miss out on so much that the Grace of God would have showered on them. Right up to Isaiah's prophesy about their Messiah.

I've noticed that too. It sounds familiar too, what with so much new knowledge of the Lord and Kingdom realm lately. Some of that is hard to believe too.
Something which is not stressed enough is that Bible Christianity is SUPERNATURAL. All of it. And the Christian life is also supernatural. Therefore we have to set aside our rationalistic, naturalistic spectacles, and approach Scripture as something to be understood by the spirit, and through the Spirit.

After Christ breathed the Holy Spirit into His apostles He could open up the Scriptures to them, and they could comprehend that that all the Scriptures speak of Christ. They could also expound the Gospel through the Scriptures.

Something which is not stressed enough is that Bible Christianity is SUPERNATURAL. All of it. And the Christian life is also supernatural. Therefore we have to set aside our rationalistic, naturalistic spectacles, and approach Scripture as something to be understood by the spirit, and through the Spirit.

After Christ breathed the Holy Spirit into His apostles He could open up the Scriptures to them, and they could comprehend that that all the Scriptures speak of Christ. They could also expound the Gospel through the Scriptures.

That's pretty much exactly the direction I was headed, Brother.

So many times lately I see Christians not being willing to receive the supernatural aspects of scriptures. As if it isn't true, or that stuff is something that will happen in the future. That makes me sad because it's (no offense to anyone)...spiritually immature, and the Lord desires mature Christian's, walking in faith...

There's little to no scriptures for this because it's Spirit to Spirit stuff for the most part, so technically is extra-biblical, and that makes many uncomfortable...

Malachi & Edward. Both of your posts reminds me of what I call the "Thomas Syndrome" which is an active lack of faith. We see it in John 20:22-29. A lack of faith produces a view to the supernatural as a fairy tale.

18 Behold, we go up to Jerusalem; and the Son of man shall be betrayed unto the chief priests and unto the scribes, and they shall condemn him to death,
Something else to note is the rejection of Christ by those who should have welcomed Him with open arms -- the chief priests and scribes. These were the men who were learned in the Scriptures, and no doubt some of them may even have been present when Christ -- at the age of twelve -- taught them in the Temple.

What is generally missed is that when king Herod was informed by the magi that the King of the Jews had been born in Judea, and he called upon the chief priest and scribes, they failed to quote Micah 5:2 in full, and omitted the portion which said that Jesus is God. Please compare the two passages below:
And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he demanded of them where Christ should be born. And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judaea: for thus it is written by the prophet, And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Juda, art not the least among the princes of Juda: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel... (Mt 2:4-6).

But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah,
though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting. (Micah 5:2).

There's a lesson for Christians here. If we do not study the entire Bible from Genesis to Revelation properly, or skip certain verses, or believe the modern versions which have omitted hundreds of words, we will fall into error.

June 7 2016 MATTHEW 20:20 - 28 TO SERVE OR TO BE SERVED.

Here is a most important teaching of Jesus that has to do with a heart's attitude concerning leadership and servant-hood.

20. "Then the mother of the sons of Zebedee came up to him with her sons, and kneeling before him she asked him for something. 21. And he said to her, “What do you want?” She said to him, “Say that these two sons of mine are to sit, one at your right hand and one at your left, in your kingdom.” 22. Jesus answered, “You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I am to drink?” They said to him, “We are able.” 23. He said to them, “You will drink my cup, but to sit at my right hand and at my left is not mine to grant, but it is for those for whom it has been prepared by my Father.” 24. And when the ten heard it, they were indignant at the two brothers. 25. But Jesus called them to him and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones exercise authority over them. 26. It shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant,c 27. and whoever would be first among you must be your slave,d 28. even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” (Scripture by "Bible Hub") ( ESV)

As I look back to my younger days when I came home from Germany in 1962 where I was an Army soldier engaged in the "Berlin Conflict" I relaxed for about a week and then got a job because in those days, there weren't any "give away" Government programs like today. In other words, I had to serve in order to care for my Wife and two Children. Today? young people, not all, seem to think that the world owes them a living. They don't want to serve, they want to be served.

For today's Christian young people who are coming out of high school, or college are faced with a decision as to take advantage of a free ride in society or to seek out a good job to meet their needs. The example of those who ride the gravy train, sit around collecting Government checks are not a good example to others who have to make a decision about their future. That decision is to be served or be served.

This Mother, Salome, the Sister to Mary, the Mother of Jesus, asks for her sons, James & John, a special place beside Jesus when He sets up His Kingdom. Her motive? My guess is that Salome wanted for her Sons, a place of rule with Jesus that would be a high position of power and authority where they would be served right along with the Master King Jesus. What Mother wouldn't want a prominent position for her Sons. Salome might have been asking Jesus what James and John had asked their Mother who would have more influence with Jesus than they would.

What ever the case, Jesus responded with a great answer...."to sit at my right hand and at my left is not mine to grant, but it is for those for whom it has been prepared by my Father." Then He goes on to explain a great Kingdom principle. Those who think that they deserve a better position of rule than others, have a bad attitude and won't be found in the Kingdom. What will be found is humility. To serve or to be served is a question that all Christians must settle in their hearts.

It's worth noting how the other Disciples reacted over James & John's request.... "And when the ten heard it, they were indignant at the two brothers." The King James Version reads...."And when the ten heard it, they were moved with indignation against the two brethren" Strong's definition of "indignant" is....
ἀγανακτέω
aganakteō
ag-an-ak-teh'-o
From ἄγαν agan (much) and ἄχθος achhos̄ (grief; akin to the base of G43); to be greatly afflicted, that is, (figuratively) indignant: - be much (sore) displeased, have (be moved with, with) indignation.
Total KJV occurrences: 7

So now we get a glimpse of how others view our climb to the top, so to speak. No one likes a person who doesn't work hard to get ahead in any area of society. Anyone who has to have a person of influence do their asking, are not liked at all. Honest work for an honest advance.

To close this part of the study, Jesus gives us a great example of being a servant....John 13:5 "After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded."....Wow, I've often thought, "here is the future King of kings & Lord of lords washing those dirty, smelly feet." A better example is hard to find except Jesus' dying on the cross for us.

JUNE 29th MATTHEW 20:29 - 34 I WAS BLIND, BUT NOW I SEE!

Matthew 20:29 "And as they departed from Jericho, a great multitude followed him.
20:30 And, behold, two blind men sitting by the way side, when they heard that Jesus passed by, cried out, saying, Have mercy on us, O Lord, thou Son of David.
20:31 And the multitude rebuked them, because they should hold their peace: but they cried the more, saying, Have mercy on us, O Lord, thou Son of David.
20:32 And Jesus stood still, and called them, and said, What will ye that I shall do unto you?
20:33 They say unto him, Lord, that our eyes may be opened.
20:34 So Jesus had compassion on them, and touched their eyes: and immediately their eyes received sight, and they followed him."

I realize that I've been very slow in presenting this Bible study, so please forgive me. My counseling ministry takes up a lot of my time these days.

I really like what John Gill has to say about the position of these two blind men....
"cried out, saying, have mercy on us, O Lord, thou son of David": "in which may be observed the titles of honour they give him, which declare their faith in him; calling him Lord, expressing their sense of his deity, dominion, and power; and "Son of David", thereby owning and professing him to be the Messiah, that being a common name of him, well known among the Jews; See Gill on Mat_1:1, the petition they make is, that he would "have mercy on them", who, through blindness, were in a poor, helpless, and miserable condition; and this was made with great vehemency: they "cried" out aloud, that he might hear them, and take pity on them; being eagerly desirous of having their sight, and firmly believing that he was able to restore it to them."

Boy, I'm sure blessed that I'm not blind. I do have physical trials each day, but blindness is not one of them, thank you Jesus. I have before, closed my eyes while in my house and pretended to be blind just to feel what it would be like, to be blind, NOT GOOD!! So I can understand why it was so important for these two men to receive their sight.

Wow, just imagine, Jesus touched their eyes, and immediately, they received their sight. What a great moment in their lives. The first sight that came to these sight filled eyes was Jesus Christ, their healer.... Probably, for a split second, when my body dies, I will be blind like these two men. BUT, when I open my eyes in the New Jerusalem, the first vision that meets my new eyes, will be Jesus Christ in Person, my wonderful Savior. O the wonder of it all!!

Just like the Apostle Paul, I'm torn between two desires. One, to leave this old world with all it's toils & triumphant's mixed together, to an indescribable rush of joy and unbelievable sense of an undeserved place of eternal bliss with my Master Owner Jesus the Son of God. And second, Jesus is still using me to serve Him each day, which He called me into His service many years ago, to, as Isaiah put it....
Isaiah 61:1 "The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound."

Along with my wonderful Son Skip (Skipper), He and I have been called into the ministry of "spiritual warfare" to pray and help folk who are being held in the prison of demonic strongholds. Skip had a stroke several months back, and is partially disabled, but that hasn't
stopped him from a ministry of helping older folk, widows etc. with their needs that they themselves cannot do like mow lawns, and small "fix ups" around their property. Skip is a very serious Servant of Jesus, I'm so very proud of him. I wish everyone had a Son like Skip.

Lots of good stuff coming in Matthew 21, so stay tuned.

So, these two, now not blind, did just what I think I would have done, They followed Jesus!! It's something like, in 1974, I received my spiritual sight when I became born again by faith in believing that Jesus died for my sins, rose again, and lives today, setting men like me, free to serve Him. Yep!! I did just what the two men did, I followed Jesus because He set me free and gave me new sight.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back