Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Well this will be why my laptop doesn't work

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Any idea why that happened? What were doing/or what happened at the time this fried like this? (and I won't blame Microsoft on this one :toofunny)

That's my guess or the vents got covered and it got too hot. Quite lucky the whole laptop didn't go up I think
Happens to me a lot. My computer has probably been through more heat emergency shutdowns than regular ones. :lol Every few months I remove a 1 cm layer of dust from behind the fan, no idea why they get so dusty so fast, but maybe that's what happened to yours too.

Can the blow up thing be replaced or will you have to buy a whole new laptop?

Happens to me a lot. My computer has probably been through more heat emergency shutdowns than regular ones. :lol Every few months I remove a 1 cm layer of dust from behind the fan, no idea why they get so dusty so fast, but maybe that's what happened to yours too.

Can the blow up thing be replaced or will you have to buy a whole new laptop?

Claudya:

My wife bought a computer the other day that she likes a lot; the guy who sold it said it does heat up, and I kind of queried why one had to wear a swimsuit to use it...

My wife bought a computer the other day that she likes a lot; the guy who sold it said it does heat up, and I kind of queried why one had to wear a swimsuit to use it...
Hm with that kind of computer you better use it sitting in the fridge wearing arctic survival gear.

But there's external cooling devices you can buy, they aren't very expensive.

Hm with that kind of computer you better use it sitting in the fridge wearing arctic survival gear.

But there's external cooling devices you can buy, they aren't very expensive.

Claudya: Well, she has a sort of pad that absorbs some of the heat. But it has a lot of memory, she says.

You mentioned it was your laptop. One of the things I have noticed about some laptops is they locate the cooling vents in unusual places. We had a Dell Inspiron mini and I thought it was quite odd that the intake vents were located on the bottom. This is a strange place for them to be on a laptop since setting it in one's lap would block the ventilation system from getting adequate cooling air. What are they thinking?

You mentioned it was your laptop. One of the things I have noticed about some laptops is they locate the cooling vents in unusual places. We had a Dell Inspiron mini and I thought it was quite odd that the intake vents were located on the bottom. This is a strange place for them to be on a laptop since setting it in one's lap would block the ventilation system from getting adequate cooling air. What are they thinking?

This is a DELL Inspiron Laptop I'm using. My wife got me "something" I don't know what to call it. It's a big wedge that goes under the laptop (looks like a case) with vents so that it gets air. The Laptop was always on the sofa handle heating up until I got this.

That's my guess or the vents got covered and it got too hot. Quite lucky the whole laptop didn't go up I think

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

My computer (an Acer Aspire One) was having a lot of cooling fan problems recently and so I had to send it in before the warranty was up, I'm happy I did and this did not happen! Is your's still under warranty or are you going to be able to replace it?

Well, the problem might be fixed by the warranty, like Rachel says. On the other hand, it might not. In the store where my wife bought her (prone to overheating) computer, the guy started saying what was under warranty, but it transpired that there is a difference between the manufacturer's warranty and the store's warranty (I hadn't figured there was a difference). And my wife said as well that when she was there before the guy whom she had seen previously told her one thing during one visit about what was supposedly under warranty and then the same guy said something different on another visit.

So it's not always easy to figure what they mean and what was originally meant, either by the store or the manufacturer.

Better go check it out the warranty thing, anyway.

It's out of warranty and in pieces on my desk at work as I unscrewed everything to see what it was in it and how it all went together lol

It's out of warranty and in pieces on my desk at work as I unscrewed everything to see what it was in it and how it all went together lol

The picture's not big enough, but I'm certain it's on your motherboard. As a matter of fact a laptop is all motherboard. :lol I don't really open laptops but I know I built a few towers and most of that is motherboard except the memory sticks and any additional cards (e.g. for video or sound cards) on it (PCI slots) but even that now has advanced and most of all this is on the motherboard now.

Long story short --- get another laptop. It's not really worth fixing. My guess would be catastrophic component failure, shorted something else out and fried it. I don't know why, however.

Does the back of the board look like that as well? If the damage was limited to that side of the board it might be fixable. It doesn't look like you lost anything that would be too terribly expensive, probably an IC of some sort and then some diodes, caps, and resistors. If you could figure out what exactly those parts were you could probably replace them all for under 10$, but I imagine it'd be hard to figure out what IC was there since it seems to be in pieces. For something to straight up explode like that I doubt it'd be a heat problem. Usually if components are exposed to too much heat they simply stop working rather than explode. Something metallic may have gotten blown in through the vent and shorted out something.

Yeah something exploded on my motherboard, no idea what though as its now just a pile of smoldered ash lol

Does the back of the board look like that as well? If the damage was limited to that side of the board it might be fixable. It doesn't look like you lost anything that would be too terribly expensive, probably an IC of some sort and then some diodes, caps, and resistors. If you could figure out what exactly those parts were you could probably replace them all for under 10$, but I imagine it'd be hard to figure out what IC was there since it seems to be in pieces. For something to straight up explode like that I doubt it'd be a heat problem. Usually if components are exposed to too much heat they simply stop working rather than explode. Something metallic may have gotten blown in through the vent and shorted out something.

That would not be practical, and most likely not possible. For starters the board is obviously burned up, so the runners are beyond repair. Secondly, even if one knew which components could be replaced, one has to be an expert. As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure how they assemble PC boards any longer, but I do know that the resistors and capacitors and other such components are too small to handle manually, let alone being able to see them well. In the olden days of electronics, I could use solder wick to remove the solder and the components back then were 1/4 and 1/2 watt resistors and the like. They were big enough to grab. Now, they are like little dots and on a PC board like trying to manipulate grains of rice.

That would not be practical, and most likely not possible. For starters the board is obviously burned up, so the runners are beyond repair. Secondly, even if one knew which components could be replaced, one has to be an expert. As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure how they assemble PC boards any longer, but I do know that the resistors and capacitors and other such components are too small to handle manually, let alone being able to see them well. In the olden days of electronics, I could use solder wick to remove the solder and the components back then were 1/4 and 1/2 watt resistors and the like. They were big enough to grab. Now, they are like little dots and on a PC board like trying to manipulate grains of rice.

Well, only a small area of the board was burned up and it was more than likely limited to the components. I will reiterate that it would be hard to determine what the IC was that blew, but it would be worth a shot. Machines assemble PCB's now. The technician will get a drawing from the engineer and program the machine to place the components, more or less. For the first prototypes, many times the boards will have to be doctored by hand, though. Replacing SMT parts isn't too bad if you have some tweezers and a fairly steady hand. Last week at work, I had to replace about 30 0402 package parts, which are probably smaller than a grain of rice, and it was doable. Sure, your components will be a bit crooked on the pads unless you're an expert, but most anyone with a steady hand could get it done.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back