Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What age do you explain homosexuality to your kids?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Nikki

I posted in the Current Events forum about billboards that are going up throughout my town. "We are your neighbors, and we are gay".

Anyways, when do you explain to your child that you believe homosexuality is wrong? We have gay neighbors. A lesbian couple. I don't think my kids understand that they are intimate though. Remember that my kids are 5 and 6 years old.

The only time that I've made any sort of comment that being gay is wrong is when Kailey and Courtney pretended to get married and I said "You can't marry her, She's a girl. Girls can only marry boys.".

I am NOT ready to sit and explain all about being gay to my kids. First of all, I don't want my kids to feel weird around Michelle (my neighbors...I like Michelle. Mary is rude though and I do't care for her). Michelle is a VERY nice person. I don't want my kids to develop "Hate" towards gays either.

You don't have to worry about your kids hating your neighbors - since you don't hate them your kids most likely aren't going to. And it seems you've already explained "gay" to them on their own terms by telling them that girls can't marry girls - that should suffice until they are a little older.

I find that those "talks" that parents feel they'll have to give really aren't necessary if things like sex aren't embarrassing or undiscussed. Instead of thinking a "talk" will have to come up, they'll probably ask why your neighbors act funny and you can explain, "They try to be like married people. Do you remember how I said two girls can't marry each other? Well, our neighbors are sort of like married people and that's wrong on their parts because they are both girls. But everybody's wrong about something and we all make mistakes... so we need to love our neighbors just like normal." And then make sure they know it's not okay to tell the neighbors what they are doing is wrong; because we all know how children like to "help" people :lol:

BL

That's very good advice. I don't think that you need to say anything more to them right now, unless they ask about it. The issue never came up until I was older. I never met homosexuals until I was in middle school. It's becoming so common in our present culture. It's a major issue that needs to be dealt with, but the world isn't treating it that way. I think what you have already told your girls should be sufficient for now. Just make sure they know that homosexuality is a sin, but we are all sinners. As our old youth pastor once said, "We need to love people for who they are, not for what they do." People are God's creations. We need to love them because God loves them. Jesus died for them too. It's not too late for them to accept his gift.

God's Child said:
That's very good advice. I don't think that you need to say anything more to them right now, unless they ask about it. The issue never came up until I was older. I never met homosexuals until I was in middle school. It's becoming so common in our present culture. It's a major issue that needs to be dealt with, but the world isn't treating it that way. I think what you have already told your girls should be sufficient for now. Just make sure they know that homosexuality is a sin, but we are all sinners. As our old youth pastor once said, "We need to love people for who they are, not for what they do." People are God's creations. We need to love them because God loves them. Jesus died for them too. It's not too late for them to accept his gift.

There were gay students that went to school with you in MIDDLE school?

I'm not planning on saying anything to my kids. They're still babies to me. I think I've got a while before they start asking.

Although, last night Courtney (my 5 year old) asked me if she could get her belly button pierced. :o

I would teach them what the Bible says and to teach my own children to hate the act of sin.

One of my wife's best friends is a gay man. He is known as "Uncle Chris" to them since he has known them their whole life. They grew up that a man can date a woman or another man and thought that was normal. What was funny is that at age 8 one was confused as to whether women could date each other. They just thought that was an odd idea.

Being exposed to gay people in a positive context (i.e. good neighbors) will make your children more accepting of the idea of homosexuality. If you are trying to teach homosexiality is wrong, your biggest bet is to hope they have no interest in wanting to do that. If you push hatred of the sin hard enough and if they feel gay, you will just be teaching them to hate themself. That could lead to deperession.

Or look at it this way. Do you think Cheney would be for gay marriage if he did not have a lesbian daughter? I highly doubt it. So if you have a gay child, I think it will increase your tolerance of homosexuals and it will seem less wrong.

Quath

I will bring my child up in the way God intended.

If the Bible says the practice of homosexuality is wrong and we are told to up whore sin then thats what i will teach them.

I would not expose my child to this practice of acceptance.

Help cometh from the Lord !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

he is the answer so these is no need for hatred just hate the sin yes.

My sons salvation is not dependent on me if the child reject God when he leaves home thats not my problem.

If you do not teach you son the ways of God and the fear of the Lord.

You do not love your child.

The Bible says God Changith not.

God is the same today as he was back, then the Bible and God do not need to ajust to society, we need to obey Him as the scripture says or be indanger of hell fire.

here is a point also what if you son/daugter turns out to be a theaf, a murderer, a whore then what quath would you tolorate a their, a murderer and a whore.

willow the wip said:
here is a point also what if you son/daugter turns out to be a theaf, a murderer, a whore then what quath would you tolorate a their, a murderer and a whore.
Not a thief or murderer because that harms another. However, if they desired to be a whore (not because they need money or forced into it), i would be accepting of that.

Quath

As you know, Nikki, I am in 9th grade this year. Last year there was a lesbian girl that moved to my school and openly admitted it to everyone. There were bisexual girls in my grade too. I saw them kiss several times, but they also went out with guys throughout the year. One of the girls comes to youth group on thursdays now. On the last day of 7th grade an old friend of mine aked me to be his girlfriend. We were good friends in elementary school and I kind of liked him then, but we never saw each other in middle school. Out of no where he asked me out. I had to say no, because I wasn't ready to date, but I told him maybe we could sometime in the future. I'm not sure if he's a Christian, but he does go to church. 7 months later he was talking to me online and he was on a really girly screen name. I asked him who's screen name he was on and he said that it was his. That is when he told me that he was gay. He told me that he never told anyone before and asked me to keep it a secret. He said he wanted to tell someone and he knew that I wouldn't say anything. He said that he had had a boyfriend for the last 2 years. He told me who it was and I was completely shocked, because he didn't seem like he could be gay at all. He did have a lot of female friends and a lot of girls liked him, but he never went out with any of them. When I asked him about when he asked me out, he said that he was bi then. So that makes 6 bisexual/gay/lesbians in my grade out of about 170 people. To this day I am still the only other person that knows that these 2 guys are gay. It was kind of awkard when I found out because my locker was right next to his boyfriend's locker. They are both in my science class this year, and they sit right next to each other. I don't think his boyfriend knows that I know either. I don't really even know how much to believe of what my friend says. I was talking to a girl at school last year and she said that he told her that he like me. Not directly, but he kept talking about me to her. She told me that he couldn't talk long because ______(his boyfriend) was calling him. She didn't know that they were going out, but it supported what he said about them going out.

Don't feel bad. Two guys that I dated in school are now gay. Maybe I was a bad kisser or something. :-? :lol:

I NEVER knew anyone that was openly gay in high school. Sure, there were some that we THOUGHT could be (including one of the guys that I'm reffering to), but never knew anyone that was open about it.

the act of homosexuality is no diffrent from a whore or a murderer sin is sin their is no level of sin.

Their-fore Repent.

Not a thief or murderer because that harms another. However, if they desired to be a whore (not because they need money or forced into it), i would be accepting of that.

A homosexual would harm their christian perents if they choose that life style.

have you read the reports of how this act splits familys in half.

their you go again its about the I.

"I can do what I want its my life."

God will never change his mind I dont have to accept anything God dose not.

You cant make God change his mind about SIN.

All sin will be judged by God you think God tolorated Sodom.

Jud 1:7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

Rev 11:8 And their dead bodies [shall lie] in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.

willow the wip said:
A homosexual would harm their christian perents if they choose that life style.
That is like saying that a child has to do exactly what their parents want them to do and have no individuality of their own or else they may cause strife in their family. The parents need to realize that their child is an individual who will live his or her own life. Their goal is to guide, not to dictate what kind of person their child will be.

have you read the reports of how this act splits familys in half.
If the parents accept the child for who they are, it doesn't have to split the family. This logic was used against interracial marriages or interfaith relationships. Yet, they are considered ok nowadays. The same will happen for gay relationships.

Quath

quath Children need to be obediant to their perents.

If both perents are wholey unto God then it will becouse we do not accept the act of sin/

Thus saith the Lord God.

Eph 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.

Col 3:20 Children, obey [your] parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord.

This is not a choice.

it is a commandment we bring them up the way God wants them brought up.

You dont teach them the ways of God then you dont love them.

Pro 23:13 Withhold not correction from the child: for [if] thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.

Pro 23:14 Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.

you see if their is no disipline and the fear of God in the way God wants them to fear him.

then you are putting your child in danger of hell fire.

2Ti 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

2Ti 3:2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

2Ti 3:3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

2Ti 3:4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

2Ti 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

Quath you think very much like the world.

how very carnal of you.

willow the wip said:
quath Children need to be obediant to their perents.
Have to be careful on this. There are enough children out there abused and molested by their parents to say this should not be a commandment applied to all.

You dont teach them the ways of God then you dont love them.
So back in the time of the Old Testament, God only appeared to one tribe. Are you saying that all the other people of the world such at the Africans, Hawaiians, American Indians and Chinese... that none of the parents ever loved their children?

you see if their is no disipline and the fear of God in the way God wants them to fear him.
Fear just teaches fear. Love and praise can shape a person in a much stronger manner.

Quath you think very much like the world.

how very carnal of you.
One of the best things that humans ever do is to love and care for each other. I find it sad when any religion seeks to stop some form of love and calls it sick instead.

Quath

We don't just call homosexuallity sick, It's an abominatin. If my Lord detests the practice, than so do I. As to how old, I will tell my children, should the Lord bless me witha wife and a family, when they are old enough to know right and wrong and when they learn to love those who do bad things to us or others. Not because we accept their sin as okay, but because Jesus told us to.

Have to be careful on this. There are enough children out there abused and molested by their parents to say this should not be a commandment applied to all.

what has this got to do any thing with homosexuality do make excuses.

Not all Perents abuse their Children especially Christian perents.

You tell be what true believer abuses their children.

So back in the time of the Old Testament, God only appeared to one tribe. Are you saying that all the other people of the world such at the Africans, Hawaiians, American Indians and Chinese... that none of the parents ever loved their children?

Hello since when am i talking about the old testiment I since i was quoting from the new testiment and the book of proverbs in the old testiment have nothing to do with the levitical law.

If u want to have wisdom that is the book you need to study.

Fear just teaches fear. Love and praise can shape a person in a much stronger manner.

Their is love in fear.

Ther fear of the lord is the beginning of wisdom.

fear teaches respect for God dont you ever learn the mistakes of the past.

the fear of the lord also gose beyond any human understanding.

One of the best things that humans ever do is to love and care for each other. I find it sad when any religion seeks to stop some form of love and calls it sick instead.

their you go any one who is out side of Gods thinking is carnal I would not expect you to understand the ways of God.

There is no real love in any man.

Gen 6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man [was] great in the earth, and [that] every imagination of the thoughts of his heart [was] only evil continually.

Pro 12:8 A man shall be commended according to his wisdom: but he that is of a perverse heart shall be despised.

Pro 12:23 A prudent man concealeth knowledge: but the heart of fools proclaimeth foolishness.

Pro 19:3 The foolishness of man perverteth his way: and his heart fretteth against the LORD.

Brutus/HisCatalyst said:
We don't just call homosexuallity sick, It's an abominatin. If my Lord detests the practice, than so do I. As to how old, I will tell my children, should the Lord bless me witha wife an a family, when they are old enough to know right and wrong and when they learn to love those who do bad things to us or others. Not because we except their sin as okay, but because Jesus told us to.
Eating shrimp is also an abomination to God:

Lev 11:9-10 These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat. And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you

So maybe you should stand outside of a seafood resturant and yell at the people committing abominations.

willow the wip said:

You said children should respect and obey their parents. Do you also mean the children of parents that abuse them or is this commandment conditional?

Hello since when am i talking about the old testiment I since i was quoting from the new testiment and the book of proverbs in the old testiment have nothing to do with the levitical law.
You said to love your children you have to teahc them about God. I showed you a time period when almost noone knew about God. According to what you jsut said, none of these people loved their children. Do you agree?

Their is love in fear.

That is called Stockholm Syndrome. It is not healthy.

Quath

willow the wip wrote:

1You said children should respect and obey their parents. Do you also mean the children of parents that abuse them or is this commandment conditional?

Quote:

2.You said to love your children you have to teahc them about God. I showed you a time period when almost noone knew about God. According to what you jsut said, none of these people loved their children. Do you agree?

Quote:
Their is love in fear.

3.That is called Stockholm Syndrome. It is not healthy

1.their is a diffrent betweeen battering your child black and blue and smaking them.

a Christian perent will bring up their child under the guidelines and the intruction of the Bible.

2. What is Love, God is love yes if a perent dose not teach them about God then they do not love their child they send the Children to hell thats what they have to answer to God.

Eze 33:8 When I say unto the wicked, O wicked [man], thou shalt surely
die; if thou dost not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked
[man] shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.

Eze 33:9 Nevertheless, if thou warn the wicked of his way to turn from it;
if he do not turn from his way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast
delivered thy soul.

3. I disogree the fear of the lord is health to the bones.

on the contry

FROM THE BOOK OF PROVERBS, WE LEARN...

1. The "fear of the Lord" is the beginning of knowledge - Pr 1:7

2. The "fear of the Lord" will cause one to hate evil - Pr 8:13

3. The "fear of the Lord" will prolong life - Pr 10:27

4. The "fear of the Lord" provides strong confidence and is a
fountain of life - Pr 14:26-27

5. The "fear of the Lord" prompts one to depart from evil - Pr
16:6

6. The "fear of the Lord" leads to a satisfying life, and spares
one from much evil - Pr 19:23

7. The "fear of the Lord" is the way to riches, honor, and life!
- Pr 22:4

"God is greatly to be feared in the assembly of the saints, and to
be had in reverence of all [them that are] about him." (Psalms 89:7)

"Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left [us] of entering
into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it. For unto
us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word
preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them
that heard [it]." (Hebrews 4:1-2)

"Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse
ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting
holiness in the fear of God." (2 Co 7:1)

to be whole and pure is to fear God do you want to be cleanesed from your sins fear good

you see Gods fear will not put u in bondage this is where you missunderstand.

you see the world surely cannot preceave the ways of God.

How much more do you think you could be accepterble to God if you dont fear him.

Back