Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What books have made an impact on your life?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
S

smokey the dog

I thought it might be edifying to find out what books you have read, besides the Bible, that have made an impact on your life.
You can list no more than 5 at a time, just so everyone isn't overwhelmed.

Here are mine, in historical order

"In His Steps" by Charles Sheldon

"Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis

"Concentric Circles of Concern" by Claude King

"This Present Darkness" by Frank Peretti

"Experiencing God" by Henry Blackaby

I guess that no books other than the bible have an impact on anybody here.

I guess that no books other than the bible have an impact on anybody here.

Smokey, I don't think that's a fair statement to make. Perhaps people have not yet read your question.The two books, and I've stated this before, that I felt had an impact on my life and new found Christianity were

1. The Purpose Driven Life ~ Rick Warren

2. A love worth giving ~ Max Lucado

The books for me would have to be:

1) Bible

1.1) "Experiencing God" by H. Blackaby

2) "Fresh Wind - Fresh Fire" by Cymbala

3) "Case for Faith" by Lee Strobel

4) "Purpose Driven Life" by R. Warren

5) "Fresh Power" by Cymbala

Anyone have books they would recommend?

mom~2boys said:
Smokey, I don't think that's a fair statement to make. Perhaps people have not yet read your question.
Well I posted this a week ago and no one had responded. on the 5 boards I regularly visit that is normally enough time to get a responce if there is going to be one.
I guess I was disapointed that no one had responded. On other boards this has been a fruitful topic. I think it is helpful to know what books have been important in people's lives. I always check to see if there is a book I might be interested in for my own edification.

A great biography I read was; God's Smuggler by Brother Andrew

Only five?

I did have to think carefully about this. These five (or six or seven!) are not in order but they have all had a significant impact on my life:

Great Souls - David Aikman (Six who changed the century: Alek. Solzhenitsyn, Pope jP II, Elie Wiesel, Nelson Mandela, Billy Graham, Mother Teresa)

Man's Search for Meaning - Viktor Frankl

Desmond Tutu - (1) No Future Without Forgiveness (2) The Rainbow People of God

Strength to Love - Martin Luther King

Dietrich Bonhoeffer, a biography by EberHard Bethge

The Cost of Discipleship - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Knowing God - J I Packer

There are many more!!!

Love in Christ

Well most of the books that have made an impact on my life aren't christian based. The books that have made the biggest impact are:

1. Shaw's "Major Barbara": helped me to look at charity and religion from an atheist's perspective.
2. "Huis Clos" by Sartre: a very interesting play that made me appreciate the importance of relationships between others.
3. "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood: a frightening anti-utopian novel that made me appreciate the value of freedom, and how easily our world could be disrupted.

Hmmm for me the ones that have made the greatest impact would have to be...

1. The Lady, Her Lover and Her Lord - TD Jakes
2. Battle Field of the Mind - Joyce Meyer
3. God Chasers - Oh shoot I forgot his name...Something Tenney I think

Oh and I forgot one more...

4. The Power of a Praying Wife - Stormie Omartian (not sure on the spelling of the last name)

Conversations With God (books 1, 2, and 3)

The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight

The Hobbit

Mine would have to be:

Daughter of China by C. Hope Flinchbaugh
I had NO idea how persecuted the Christians are over there! It isn't a true story, but the things that happen in the novel are based upon things that have happened to Christians over there.

Mine Eyes Have Seen by Ann Rinaldi
This one isn't Christian. Its about the summer before John Brown and his raiders attacked Harper's Ferry (it also goes on a little afterward to). I have always been realy into history, but this book made me realize that all the people you learn about in History class or in movies were actual People. It made me realize this cause all of the characters were real people, none were made up.

The one that made the largest impact on my life was definately the Bible...

these others were greatly influencial on my life:

Six Hours One Friday.....Max Lucado;

Catholic Pentecostals......Kevin & Dorothy Banaghan;

Imitiation of Christ....Thomas A Kempis

Most impacting books besides the Bible...

Other than the Bible, obviously, these have really had a big influence in my life:

1. The Problem of Pain--C.S. Lewis(A fair look at why God allows bad things to happen)
2. The Spiritual Man--Watchman Nee(Thorough discussion of the make-up of man and how to grow closer to God through better understanding of said make-up)
3. My Utmost for His Highest--Oswald Chambers(Okay, so it's a devotional book, and shouldn't count, but it is awesome)
4. Christianity with Power--Charles H. Kraft, professor at Fuller Seminary(Very Biblical explanation of why we need the element of the supernatural in our daily walk, touching some elements of spiritual warfare)
5. Bruchko--Bruce Olsen(AWESOME true story of a teenager who went alone as a missionary to the jungles of South America. Must-read for would-be missionaries.)

I hope you can check these out...it's worth your time! God bless you in your quest to be closer to Him.

Books that have been influential on my walk besides the bible are:

Normal Christian Life by Watchman Nee

Principles of Spiritual Growth by Miles J. Stanford

Desiring God by John Piper

Brothers, We are not Professionals by John Piper

Jonathan Edwards, His Greatest Sermons by Jonathan Edwards, updated by Mark Trigsted

Other than the bible, the books that have had the most impact on my life:

1) Body for life--Bill Phillips

2) On Goaltending--Jacques Plante

3) The Mac is not a typewriter--Robin Williams

Lord of the Rings not made an impact on my life it was recommended by CS lewis

Along with the Bible:

Fresh Fire by Mario Murillo
Wild at Heart: Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul by John Eldredge
Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning
Loose That Man & Let Him Go! by T. D. Jakes
Christianity in Crisis by Hank Hanegraaff
The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse by David Johnson, Jeff Vanvonderen
Fearless Faith: Living Beyond the Walls of Safe Christianity by John Fischer
Blinded by Might by Cal Thomas, Ed Dobson
Just As I Am by Billy Graham
The Search For Significance by Robert S. McGhee

Hi, just a thought to pass along! (I have two much younger friends with cancer) and wanted to get a few of these books for other friends.
---John (Pastor N.B.
---------

We carry this book for $3.95, and have some used copies available also. Our 800 number is 1-800-732-2664; you can reach us from 9am-5pm Mon-Thu and 9am-noon on Fridays.

If you wish, you can place an order for this book through our website at http://www.lnfbooks.com 24 hours a day with your credit card if you prefer.

Thank you for thinking of LNFBooks for all your health book needs!
LNFBooks Customer Service.

At 10:09 AM 1/13/2004, you wrote:

Do you have an 800 number?
I am looking for this book by Nolfa Kristine MD

Pastor N.B.

Back