Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What brings us closer to God?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

"that they should seek God, in the hope that they might feel their way toward him and find him. Yet he is actually not far from each one of us," (Acts 17:27)(ESV)

No longer will they teach their neighbor, or say to one another, 'Know the Lord,' because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest. Hebrews 8:11 NIV

The Holy Spirit only has this responsibility.

"that they should seek God, in the hope that they might feel their way toward him and find him. Yet he is actually not far from each one of us," (Acts 17:27)(ESV)
Exactly! He's not far from us, infact, according to Jesus, right within us!
"The kingdom (realm/experience) of God is within you." -Luke 17:21

To feel God, I think requires humility first - kindof a serender to God's will (even if it's subtle and imperfect), as Danus mentioned.
A desire for truth and to love also bring us closer to God, who is Truth & Love.

I never got much out of traditional worship. And I struggle to believe in God. And to be honest, I cannot stand going to temple. It bores me to no end. Same with "talking" prayer. Just words to me and talk is cheap.

But the times I get close is when I study cosmology and astrophysics. Or when I look at a nebula through a telescope on a cool night with the smell of a died-out campfire near by. I know it sounds contradictory, but when I learn something new that boggles my mind, I can't help but think that such perfection and genius could not be random.....

But the times I get close is when I study cosmology and astrophysics. Or when I look at a nebula through a telescope on a cool night with the smell of a died-out campfire near by. I know it sounds contradictory, but when I learn something new that boggles my mind, I can't help but think that such perfection and genius could not be random.....

God made all that..... go find a real church, one where the power of God is at.

Mike.

When temptation comes your way, don't sin. Turn to God. I need to put this into practice. Yes, the flesh is weak, but the spirit is willing. We can certainly overcome.

To me, reading, praying and putting it, what God's Word teaches us, into practice in our daily lives. Sometimes we fail to do so. But we should always keep trying.

I never got much out of traditional worship. And I struggle to believe in God. And to be honest, I cannot stand going to temple. It bores me to no end. Same with "talking" prayer. Just words to me and talk is cheap.

I feel similarly. God is truth/light & the all-encompassing love that includes all of creation.
I love to learn - and especially discover something that is life-changing (or perspective-changing).
Like dark energy/matter - I can't wait to see what exciting discoveries are made in regard to that!

Realizing the depraved state of myself and what a shameful person I am. And when I realize the need for God because I "simply can't", I feel being drawn by the Holy Spirit more to Him. Often I feel good myself and those are the times I feel distanced away.

Realizing the depraved state of myself and what a shameful person I am. And when I realize the need for God because I "simply can't", I feel being drawn by the Holy Spirit more to Him. Often I feel good myself and those are the times I feel distanced away.

i actually like this alot and was curious to know if someone was going to write this.

what brought me to god was.. pain. sounds insane right?

constant heartache and loneliness and hatred brought me to search for god. at one point i wanted to feel loved, wanted to know my perpous in life. i was so tired of the pain of life that i needed to find out why god put me here. the life i once lived and the pain i was once dealt brought me questions to god and brought me to a closer lifestyle of being with the lord. the only way i could be stronger and get the answers of life was through the book of life (the bible) and constant talking and preying to the lord and our savior.

John's First Epistle is a good New Testament book to read, in relation to walking in the light and being cleansed by the blood of Christ.

what brought me to god was.. pain. sounds insane right

That would be like in 2 Corinthians 12:9 “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.†(ESV)

"Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you." is also discussed in James 4:6-10.

I agree, Prayer, Scripture, and total Surrender. These things help us to bridge the gap created by our sinfulness. I would also add, that often times, when I find myself neglecting these necessary things, I must ask God to help me change my desires, to create a yearning in my soul for Him and His presence.

I agree, Prayer, Scripture, and total Surrender. These things help us to bridge the gap created by our sinfulness. I would also add, that often times, when I find myself neglecting these necessary things, I must ask God to help me change my desires, to create a yearning in my soul for Him and His presence.
[MENTION=90426]pdpilgrim78[/MENTION]: We can remember, too, that the Lord Jesus Himself, the sinless One, was obedient unto death, even the death of the Cross (Philippians 2), and He by His Spirit strengthens His people, reconciled by faith in His finished work.

So we don't need to try to attain some higher level of perfection, in the hope it will be satisfactory to God, but rather that He strengthens us in the path of obedience, because He and His work is fully satisfactory to God, and we are complete in Him (Colossians 2.10).

Blessings.

Back