Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study What does 1 Corinthians 12:22-25 mean?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

carlos123

I have been seeking the Lord on what these verses mean and was wondering if anyone might care to share their thoughts with me on what they mean?

What did Paul mean to say when he mentioned some members of the body as being more feeble and thus necessary (vs 22)? Necessary in what sense?

I don't quite understand. Is he saying that those members who have more problems are necessary?

Who are members of the body who are "less honorable" (vs 23)? How are we supposed to bestow greater honor on these members?

What is a "comely part"?? (vs 24)

How does all this translate into members having the same care for each other? (vs 25).

I can't quite make heads or tails out of all this yet and would appreciate anyone's views on what all this means. I am particularly interested in knowing how all this ties into a body operating in a healthy and right way before the Lord.

Carlos

Hmm...so you are saying that the takers are needed because they allow the givers to give? Is that what you are saying Reba?

Carlos

Yes but that is just an example... for a pastor like my Dad to split wood for the widow... she needs to be needing wood...
For a healing to take place some needs to be ill..
For folks to join together and have an old fashion grocery shower some one needs to be hungry

Thanks for confirming that understanding of what you said Reba. Does that make the one in need more feeble and less honorable (in line with what it says in vs 22 and vs 23)? I don't mean to put you on the spot and ask this of you directly Reba. I am really asking this of anyone that might have some insightful thoughts to share though of course if you have some additional thoughts on what I have asked...I am all ears.

Carlos

Our bodies are made up of lots of things. Our organs wouldn't survive long without our skin, but they're essential to our life. Our skin wouldn't do much good without organs, and is only one of the necessary tools for our continued health and existence. We're all needy sometimes. Givers aren't givers all the time (they have needs, too) and takers aren't supposed to be takers all the time.

It may not be entirely on topic to this thread, but I would highly recommend the devotional Fearfully and Wonderfully Made by Paul Brand and Phillip Yancey. It mixes biology and theology and talks further on the topic of the parallels between the body of Christ and our physical bodies.

Thanks for your input GuestDriven.

I have tended to view things a little differently (not saying my view is absolutely correct - that is why I am wanting input).

Let me quote the verses in full first...

22 Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary:

23 And those members of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness.

24 For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that part which lacked.

25 That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another.

I have previously viewed the above "less honourable", and "uncomely parts" as talking about our private organs if you will. As being one's that are necessary but as one's that we tend to cover up and honor more than those parts that we openly allow to be visible.

I know that may be a bit wacky of a view but that is how I have previously understood these verses.

Tomorrow I will do some more digging around on the meaning of the words and will share some more thoughts if I uncover anything interesting.

Carlos

Might need to dig into the Greek on some of those, I guess. Never really heard that aspect covered. And I'm not sure if the parallel extends quite that far. lol There might be something, but examples usually aren't meant to cover every single detail. Though it's fun to explore details and discover even deeper parallels--at least, I've always found it really interesting to do so.

What did Paul mean to say when he mentioned some members of the body as being more feeble and thus necessary (vs 22)? Necessary in what sense?
We actually have a member who is very good with equating the human anatomical body to scripture.
questdriven , I didn't know there was book written about this, thanks.
Personally, I believe Paul really is talking about the human body, how the heart, lungs, etc. even though they need to be protected from injury, are necessary to life. How we don't sunburn our backsides but cloth them. They are necessary just as the less honorable parts are also covered for moralities sake, are necessary.
It's his way of showing how the different callings and gifts in the church are all important to the very life of the church, as we see in the following verses.

Did I hear human anatomy?
Armpits? There is an area that must remove / eliminate something bad from the body. They need special care. They are blessed tickle spots. There are a host of products designed for those areas. Given a tough job they are given special favor and care.

Some people in the body help do jobs no one else would do on a bet. Yet they are blessed with joy no one else has or understands. They themselves need special care at times.

Romans 1:19-20
eddif

He's talking about the Body of Christ as a team of believers in which everyone plays their part, and glories in the accomplishments of Team Jesus instead of individual members' accomplishments. In this way even pawns receive abundent honor as members of the same winning side as the more glamorous pieces.

I have been seeking the Lord on what these verses mean and was wondering if anyone might care to share their thoughts with me on what they mean?

I don't quite understand. Is he saying that those members who have more problems are necessary?

Who are members of the body who are "less honorable" (vs 23)? How are we supposed to bestow greater honor on these members?

What is a "comely part"?? (vs 24)

How does all this translate into members having the same care for each other? (vs 25).

I can't quite make heads or tails out of all this yet and would appreciate anyone's views on what all this means. I am particularly interested in knowing how all this ties into a body operating in a healthy and right way before the Lord.

Carlos
Hi Carlos, I just ran across your thread. Paul is comparing the members of the body of Christ with the human body. All the parts of the human body are needed for the body to function properly. Even the parts that we may not honor as much as our face, eyes, ears and nose. But our tongue, feet, lungs, stomach, arm pits are also needed, even though you don't see them. They are not handsome parts of the the body, but they are needed for a healthy body. So even in the body of Christ every member is needed, even thou there service may seem little compared to the most illustrious saint is still needed for the body of Christ to function in harmony. 1 Cor. 12:12-14; 17-31

In Christ
Douglas Summers

Last edited:
Feeble could be almost anyone in need. The elderly are those we are to honor by honoring our elders. Children are to be protected and cared for. But both of them are people that are not strong and need some assistance or sone protection sometimes. There's also those who are injured, sure ring or morning a loss. Like an injury to our body needs special protection many in our communities need some special care too. Sinners too could be looked at as feeble in a way, because they are showing a weakness in their sins. at least those are some of my thoughts.

John 10:10
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Ephesians 6:12
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

eddif

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back