Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What does God think about GMO food?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Kaileymarie

Genetically modified seed has been rejected by many countries for good reason.

Does God really want us eating food with pesticides grown into it?

When are we as a whole going to care about the mutilation of the food He has given us?

Monsanto continues to close down family farms across the US, and use te government to go after small family farms who trade fresh food with their neighbors.

This is totally unacceptable. To take away our god given right to farm organically is not only suspicious but just plain mean.

Not really, many countries don't want to use GMOs until they are further tested. Some banned them due to the blitzkrieg of misinformation about GMOs that has been floating around since they were suggested in the first place.

Consideirng that the food already had the pesticides in them in the first place, I don't see why not.

When are we as a whole going to care about the mutilation of the food He has given us?
Considering we as humans have been doing this ( but slower) since the dawn of civilization, probably never. Considering that most fruit and vegetables have been through selective breading since their discovery ( that also makes them GMO) and most of our beef, chicken, and pork is also breed through selective pressures.

Monsanto continues
You already provided an article about this and in the article it stated that the UN and Europe have already banned the use Monsanto. Monsanto is also not a GMO, its a pesticide.

This is totally unacceptable. To take away our god given right to farm organically is not only suspicious but just plain mean.
This hasn't happened. I can buy and grow organic food if I so choose.

To take away our god given right to farm organically is not only suspicious but just plain mean.

While I understand your concern and agree with some of what you've said about the morality of forcing family farms out of business, etc, I have to ask you to provide the scripture that says God gave us this "right" to farm organically. I've never read that, and I hear a lot of people claiming God gave us many "rights" that I've never read about him giving us in scripture. Not saying we shouldn't have this right, just challenging your statement that God gave it to us.

just challenging your statement that God gave it to us.

I like challenge.

So if God commands us to toil the soil then if we are not allowed to do it? How may we comply?
Sure, there are those who will wish to come and split hairs with me and say that we are free to do this work in any way that we wish but if that is true, may we not do so organically?

Monsanto continues to close down family farms across the US, and use te government to go after small family farms who trade fresh food with their neighbors.

Hi Kaileymarie:

Reminds me of the Old Testament account of Naboth and his vineyard.

Blessings.

Amen! I could not agree more. Monsanto business practices rival that of the old Microsoft. I never paid attention to what I ate. My wife, well I'll just say she has opened my eyes to gluten free. She is the canary in the coalmine for GMO foods.

Not really, many countries don't want to use GMOs until they are further tested. Some banned them due to the blitzkrieg of misinformation about GMOs that has been floating around since they were suggested in the first place.

Consideirng that the food already had the pesticides in them in the first place, I don't see why not.

Considering we as humans have been doing this ( but slower) since the dawn of civilization, probably never. Considering that most fruit and vegetables have been through selective breading since their discovery ( that also makes them GMO) and most of our beef, chicken, and pork is also breed through selective pressures.

Monsanto continues
You already provided an article about this and in the article it stated that the UN and Europe have already banned the use Monsanto. Monsanto is also not a GMO, its a pesticide.

This hasn't happened. I can buy and grow organic food if I so choose.

Like I said, they've rejected them for good reason. They do need more testing. So why are so many of our grocery store foods contaminated with them if they need further testing? Are we the ones being tested on then?

GMO and natural cross-breeding are NOT the same.

Monsanto is not a pesticide or a GMO, it is a company. They did start in the business if hazardous chemicals. Now they also genetically modify seed. They are not a genetically modified organism but they do genetically modify organisms. If you haven't done much research on Monsanto I suggest you do, what we put into our bodies is very important.

Not sure what you mean by the food already having pesticides in it, but thank you for bringing up another very important topic. Pesticides. GMO crops require more pesticides than non-GMO.

Who can say pesticides aren't harmful?

I like challenge.

So if God commands us to toil the soil then if we are not allowed to do it? How may we comply?
Sure, there are those who will wish to come and split hairs with me and say that we are free to do this work in any way that we wish but if that is true, may we not do so organically?

Thank you :)

I don't see how providing food for ourselves could be seen as not being a god given right.

I would prefer god feed me than some guys trying to make a profit. And anyway, if they already own the majority of the Nation's seed and they are still working to control more and more so blatantly and maliciously, I would assume they would try to continue until they controlled it all. Sure it hasn't happened yet, you can still go buy organic, but I think we as Americans need to start focusing on prevention instead of just trying to fix problems as they come.

Amen! I could not agree more. Monsanto business practices rival that of the old Microsoft. I never paid attention to what I ate. My wife, well I'll just say she has opened my eyes to gluten free. She is the canary in the coalmine for GMO foods.

God bless her!

Like I said, they've rejected them for good reason.
Then you haven't read to much into why many contries have banned Genetically Modified Foods.
They do need more testing.
What exact testing would you like to see done? What tests are you aware of that are already done on them?
So why are so many of our grocery store foods contaminated with them if they need further testing?
First, our stores are not contaminated with these food. Second, here in the USA the FDA has stated that GMO food are fine for human consumption. There has been many studies GMO foods and nothing has shown to be of any particular risk.
Are we the ones being tested on then?
No.

GMO and natural cross-breeding are NOT the same.
Actually it is. the only differnce is that instead of waiting several generations to pick out the plant or animal, scientist just isolate specific genes.

Monsanto is not a pesticide or a GMO, it is a company. They did start in the business if hazardous chemicals. Now they also genetically modify seed. They are not a genetically modified organism but they do genetically modify organisms. If you haven't done much research on Monsanto I suggest you do, what we put into our bodies is very important.
Yes, what we put into our bodies is very important, but I think you have believed a lot of misinformation about GMO Foods. Which is common because there is a lot of misinformaiton floating around. I took several years of biology in college. I also know a chemist who has worked with both GMO foods and pesticides. There is tons of testing that public is usually unaware of because it almost always neutral or positive. There are also so many laws and regulations on GMO foods and pesticides that any slip ups or bad releases means hundreds of people face fines and jail time.

Not sure what you mean by the food already having pesticides in it,
This is what I meant when I stated that you might not even be aware of what a GMO food actually is. What is usually done with GMOs is that scientists usually isolated genes within the dna of a plant of animal, and make sure those are expressed. The Genes the already in the plant or animal. I just turbo drive selective breeding.

but thank you for bringing up another very important topic. Pesticides. GMO crops require more pesticides than non-GMO.
Do you have any studies to back to this up?

Who can say pesticides aren't harmful?
No one says they aren't. That is why there are tons of laws and regulations around it. Plants have to be cleaned specific ways then tested for the minimal amount aloud to stay on, which is also figured out by seeing what is the maximum does a person can have and not get a reaction, and then the bar is raised to several times less of that dose aloud being on the product.

Do you want to know something scary. Many Organic farms are next to or really close to farms that grow GMO foods. The GMO farmer has to pass testing and has tons of regulations. IF any of the pesticides blow over or contaminate the organic farm, there is no testing done to it. Its shipped out as is. You are more likely to get pesticide poisoning from organic food because theres no real testing going on for organics.

Monsanto doesn't have the power to close down family farms. If you think farms are being closed, you should aim you anger at the government. Without government power, Monsanto can do NOTHING to keep people from going organic or non-GMO.

More to the point about GMOs, if you don't like them, don't buy them, and maybe even try to educate others about your thoughts. Let consumers decide. They may decide against you, but that's how a free market works.

There are a lot of organic and non-GMO products on the market and if other companies think that's where the narket is going, they'll go organic and non-GMO as well and label their products.

My wife and I choose organic and non-GMO whenever we can, but that's our choice. I want nothing whatever to do with government mandates here, and I don't believe for a moment that Monsanto is evil. They offer products that they think there's a market for, and will survive or fail based on how consumers respond.

I like challenge.

You didn't cite a verse so I'm not sure which scripture you are referring to, so I can't really answer to it. Even if I could, it sounds like you are talking more about a command God gave us rather than a "right" that He gave us. But I'm hesitant to believe (without seeing the actual scripture) that God has actually commanded each and every one of us to have our own farm and grow our own food.

We can't just assume God has given us certain "rights" just because it SEEMS like something He would do or because we hear other people referring to them as "God given rights". The only thing we can know about God is what scripture tells us. Anything more is just assumption.

I don't see how providing food for ourselves could be seen as not being a god given right.

As I stated to Sparrowhawk, even though this seems logical to us and I'm not saying we SHOULDN'T do this if we have the opportunity and desire, we can not assume God has given us any "rights" unless he has said so in scripture. This is why I asked what scripture says this. (I'm not saying scripture DOESN'T say it, just that I can't find it and if it does and I would like to see it.) Many people may assume they can decide for God what he wants, but I don't believe in that. I believe that the only things we can know about God are the things He has chosen to tell us in scripture, and that He is sovereign and not subject to what WE want Him to be.

Leviticus 19:19 and Deuteronomy 22:9 are instructions and, IMHO, warnings not to mix with the natural order or process of creation. Messing around with God's creations is a form of profaning what he has provided for us. It's like saying we don't trust him to provide for us, so we will make our own means to ensure our needs are provided for. Instead of having unfailing trust God can pull out of a basket a few fish and bread to feed multitudes and multitudes of people, we are taking the focus away from God providing, to man playing god so to speak. IMHO again, I believe it is a continued perversion from the evil one to bring us further and further away from the beginning of creation from where all live began and of what it will be restored back to it's righful place.

Jeremiah 33:11
the voice of joy and the voice of gladness, the voice of the bridegroom and the voice of the bride, the voice of those who say, “Give thanks to the Lord of hosts, For the Lord is good, For His lovingkindness is everlastingâ€; and of those who bring a thank offering into the house of the Lord. For I will restore the fortunes of the land as they were at first,’ says the Lord

Isaiah 49:8 Thus says the Lord, “In a favorable time I have answered You, And in a day of salvation I have helped You; And I will keep You and give You for a covenant of the people, To restore the land, to make them inherit the desolate heritages;

I am sure the restoration of the land will have zero Monsanto products in it.

Leviticus 19:19 and Deuteronomy 22:9 are instructions and, IMHO, warnings not to mix with the natural order or process of creation. Messing around with God's creations is a form of profaning what he has provided for us. It's like saying we don't trust him to provide for us, so we will make our own means to ensure our needs are provided for. Instead of having unfailing trust God can pull out of a basket a few fish and bread to feed multitudes and multitudes of people, we are taking the focus away from God providing, to man playing god so to speak. IMHO again, I believe it is a continued perversion from the evil one to bring us further and further away from the beginning of creation from where all live began and of what it will be restored back to it's righful place.

the voice of joy and the voice of gladness, the voice of the bridegroom and the voice of the bride, the voice of those who say, “Give thanks to the Lord of hosts, For the Lord is good, For His lovingkindness is everlasting”; and of those who bring a thank offering into the house of the Lord. For I will restore the fortunes of the land as they were at first,’ says the Lord

Isaiah 49:8 Thus says the Lord, “In a favorable time I have answered You, And in a day of salvation I have helped You; And I will keep You and give You for a covenant of the people, To restore the land, to make them inherit the desolate heritages;

well said.

the voice of joy and the voice of gladness, the voice of the bridegroom and the voice of the bride, the voice of those who say, “Give thanks to the Lord of hosts, For the Lord is good, For His lovingkindness is everlastingâ€; and of those who bring a thank offering into the house of the Lord. For I will restore the fortunes of the land as they were at first,’ says the Lord

Given that, since God's creation of "our land," the area I live in has gone from tropical conditions, to being covered by a mile of ice with nothing growing or living in it, and is now somewhere in between, exactly what point is it to be "restored" to?

uhm, [MENTION=91415]Ryan[/MENTION]. florida is a swamp. uh yea ditto , mark. I can post old pictures of the canals we dredged and tell you that in the 1880's those weren't there and where we made an inlet.

the famous Sebastian inlet of surfing fame, didn't exist when my fil was a boy. and another inlet was closed when in the 1960's I know where that is and can show you.

Back