Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What Does it Mean to Stop Looking?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Freik

So I was having a discussion with one of my friends tonight about how I’m 20, almost 21, and I’ve never had a girlfriend. I was saying how frustrated I am that there’s no available girls at my church (there haven’t been for years) and how lonely I’ve been feeling because quite literally all of my friends but 1 are in a relationship.

She told me that I need to stop looking and then I’ll find someone. I thought about this for a moment and asked “How do I stop looking?†and she said that I need to be content with life. Maybe that’s the problem, I’m really not. I want to advance my career, I want to move out of my parents house, and I would like to not be a wheel anymore, but shouldn't I really want those things? (well, the first 2 at least)

So what exactly does it mean to stop looking? How do I stop looking? Or have I even been looking? I know that in the current situation I’m in that there is no one for me to pursue, so does to stop looking mean to not want a relationship? Is saying "stop looking" another piece of empty advice people give to singles like "you're such a great guy, I'm surprised no ones taken you yet. you'll find someone eventually"? (if I had a dollar for every time I've heard that, I could get a mail-order bride :tongue )

Hi,

Having read this post, I also read your other one on a similar subject. I agree with your friend here. It seems, from what you've written, that you're not content with where God has you for now. You appear to be itching to be in a relationship, and as a consequence you're feeling lonely and frustrated. You're looking at your friends and colleagues around you - all the couples - and essentially coveting what they have (a relationship), rather than resting in God's timing for your life.

I apologise if that sounds really blunt. I don't mean to offend in any way, but rather to exhort and encourage.

Please allow me to relate some of my own story. When I was younger (I'm 28 now) I had a plan that I wanted my life to follow - do well at school, go to university and get a good degree, meet my special someone at university, get a good job, get married, settle down and have kids. Sounds reasonable? Several of my university friends did just that - met their spouse, got married, had kids.

I didn't.

It turns out God wanted to do a whole lot of work in me first, to make me ready for that day when He would orchestrate that relationship for which I longed. So He had me finish university without meeting my spouse-to-be. Then He put me in a Christian volunteer organisation for a year, doing door-to-door evangelism, schools work, open-air preaching, and so on. Did I meet her there? I hoped I would, but I didn't. The Lord still had things to teach me, so He then sent me to Bible College. Surely I'd meet a like-minded girl there! Um... nope. God still had things to teach me - primarily, to trust Him with everything. That message was hammered home time and time again over my four semesters at Bible College. Numerous wonderful girls came into my life, and went back out again. But slowly, very slowly, I was learning that that was okay. God would take care of me, and if I ever did meet my spouse-to-be, the best thing was for it to happen in God's timing. Maybe I wasn't ready yet. Maybe SHE wasn't ready yet!

So I went back home after Bible College. It was the last thing I wanted to do. I have a wonderful family who was pleased to have me home, but I'd been back and forth for nearly ten years now, and was used to living alone/with friends. I was also dreading being back at a church I no longer felt comfortable with, in a hometown where I had very few friends and, it seemed, virtually no chance of meeting anyone. I had to widen my circles if I was to have any chance of the friendship and fellowship I missed so much. For a while I attended a couple of other church youth/twenties groups, hoping I might meet someone there, but to no avail.

That was when I decided to "look" online. I felt pretty foolish at first, but then shrugged and thought "I might as well try!" God is, after all, the God of the impossible, right? I had one "false start", where I moved too quickly. That was when I dropped my hopes and expectations for a relationship, and decided to "let it happen if God wanted it to happen". In other words, I stopped pinning my hope of finding someone on these websites - I didn't stop looking, as it were, but the sense of urgency wasn't there anymore.

That was when the Lord had a girl named Kate look at my profile. She wasn't the girl I expected to marry - for one, she was American (no offense intended!). I had been burned by a long-distance relationship before, and wasn't intending to try another. But, once again, God's plan was not my own. We appeared to share similar beliefs, similar interests, and similar desires in life, and it was clear to me that I couldn't dismiss the possibility that this was it - this was the time God had been preparing me for. And that is exactly what we discovered.

To make a long story short, we met in person after about 10 months of communication, got engaged six weeks later, and were finally married a year after that, which was just a few months ago. I've ended up moving to the US, and married life is wonderful. We are clearly God's match, because only God could take two people from different countries, different cultures, different church backgrounds, very different families, and yet give them an almost identical worldview and such similar interests.

So, with all that said, I'd like to offer a few words of advice, if I may.

It has been my experience, and that of many of my friends, that the Lord often wants us to more fully surrender our lives into His hands before He gives us what our heart desires. This, of course, assumes that what we desire is within His plan for our lives. Marriage is one of the "big ones", and is usually par for the course for most of us. Often it is not that we desire the wrong things - such as marriage, a good job, and so on - but that we desire them at the wrong time. We want them NOW, when God knows that we couldn't cope with them NOW. So He says "Wait". Our role is to trust Him, and to humbly acknowledge that He knows best. The same is true for our career, for wanting to move out of our parents' house, and so on.

Psalm 37:3-5: "Trust in the LORD, and do good; dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness. Delight yourself also in the LORD, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass."

We must learn to delight ourselves in the Lord - to rest in His faithfulness to us, to take comfort and strength in His wisdom, and to commit to following Him first. Only then will we become ready to take on the greater responsibility of marriage, and/or a different job, and/or our own home.

I would encourage you to relax. That is, to tell the Lord that you accept His Lordship over your life, and that you trust His timing. Remember that it may not be His will, after all, that you get married. Would you be happy with that? Or maybe He knows that you won't be ready to marry the one He wants you to marry until you're a lot older. I always thought I'd be married by 22. I didn't get married until I was almost 28. Or maybe your wife-to-be won't be ready until you're both older. Maybe she isn't even saved yet! Only God knows.

To "stop looking" isn't to actually stop looking, in my mind. I believe we should be open to new relationships, and that in your position there is nothing wrong with actively pursuing opportunities to meet girls with whom you can form strong friendships and - in God's will and timing - potentially meet that one you will marry. While God can and does sometimes "drop someone in your lap", I personally believe that He usually wants us to be active in the search. But being active does NOT mean frantically searching high and low. It is a matter of attitude - to do the work God has for you to do NOW, while patiently waiting for opportunities (and taking them). It is to be content, while pursuing whatever avenues God opens before you.

I would recommend a couple of books for you - Josh Harris' "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" and "Boy Meets Girl", and Elizabeth Elliot's "Passion and Purity". Above all I would encourage prayer and Bible study. Get absorbed in what God has for you to do right now - to study His Word, to help at church, to get experience in media, to be a good son, brother (if you have siblings), friend - and allow God to do the work in your heart that needs to be done first. Rest in His plan for you, and don't fret or allow yourself to get frustrated. You only need to meet one person, and God can bring that one into your life in the most unlikely of ways!

Well, I hope and pray that this has been helpful and encouraging. Please ask for clarification if I haven't been clear!

In Him, inhopeofglory

Wow, thanks for such a well thought out reply, you've given me a lot to think about. I wouldn't say that I'm rushing things, but more or less wondering why everyone else is able to find someone else (not necessarily marriage). And I think I'm ok with not being content with life, because I know that God has so much more in store for me, and if I became content I fear that I might become complacent and not want to move! Some of my goals and desires are so close I can almost taste them, but so far that they're just out of my reach. It's very frustrating, haha.

I also find it interesting that you brought this up:
"Above all I would encourage prayer and Bible study. Get absorbed in what God has for you to do right now - to study His Word, to help at church, to get experience in media, to be a good son, brother (if you have siblings), friend"
That's what I've been doing a lot lately, and I actually started working at my church a few months ago as the media director and this year I'm doing an internship to get my credentials!

I guess my real question is "why?", but that's always the question, isn't it? It's the waiting to figure out why that kills me, haha.

Hi again,

The answer to "why" is simply "God knows". He alone knows why He hasn't brought that person into your life. We can speculate - you're not ready yet, she's not ready yet, marriage isn't God's will for your life, or a whole host of other reasons - but ultimately we don't know. We can only trust God that He knows, and that He knows what is best for us.

That is what I mean by "be content". I don't mean that you should somehow stop wanting a good career, marriage, or your own home, and that you should "just be happy where you are". That kind of attitude can become lazy or defeatist - "I can't be bothered to change things" or "Things will never change". What I mean is to keep your focus on God, placing your trust firmly in Him, and as a result be content that this is where God has you at the moment. If He chooses to change things, then great - that's where you'll go, what you'll do. And if He chooses to keep you there, keep you single, for only-He-knows-how-long, then great! You'll wait patiently, doing the work God has for you to do right now, until He - and He alone - moves you on.

But at the moment - and this is the reason I've stressed this so much - your message posts give the impression that you are not content. I quote:

I'm tired of it. How can I go just one day without thinking about being single? I don't think I'll be able to handle (potential) years of it without going insane or snapping and doing something stupid.

For some of my friends, the Lord had to take them to a place where they literally gave up wanting to get married. They were clinging to that desire for a spouse so hard it became an idol, and so He brought them to the point where they were content whichever way God wanted it, single or married. Only then, when it was no longer an issue for them, did God bring their spouse-to-be into their lives. Perhaps this is true of your situation. Perhaps it isn't. Either way, I still encourage you to seek the Lord for peace and contentment. Don't fret about finding a spouse. God will bring you both together at the right time.

1 Corinthians 10:13: "No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it."

He promises to give us a way to endure the tests and trials He places in our lives. He can enable you to bear that burden of loneliness, perhaps by giving you an avenue for new friendships and fellowship. Your duty is just to trust Him, to do what you know God has for you to do right now, and to be open to His leading.

All the best!

In Him, inhopeofglory

wow...is all i can say....

this thread, has opened my eyes quite a bit...i have quite a bit of work to do in terms of my situation. the one that did it the most were the following...

It has been my experience, and that of many of my friends, that the Lord often wants us to more fully surrender our lives into His hands before He gives us what our heart desires. This, of course, assumes that what we desire is within His plan for our lives. Marriage is one of the "big ones", and is usually par for the course for most of us. Often it is not that we desire the wrong things - such as marriage, a good job, and so on - but that we desire them at the wrong time. We want them NOW, when God knows that we couldn't cope with them NOW. So He says "Wait". Our role is to trust Him, and to humbly acknowledge that He knows best. The same is true for our career, for wanting to move out of our parents' house, and so on.

were clinging to that desire for a spouse so hard it became an idol, and so He brought them to the point where they were content whichever way God wanted it, single or married. Only then, when it was no longer an issue for them, did God bring their spouse-to-be into their lives.

it may seem like false hope to me at the moment, but for some reason i dont believe this as earlier today i was sorta yelling/praying to God for an answer to my situation.

and your posts, was it. i received my answer! (:

especially the following...

The answer to "why" is simply "God knows". He alone knows why He hasn't brought that person into your life. We can speculate - you're not ready yet, she's not ready yet, marriage isn't God's will for your life, or a whole host of other reasons - but ultimately we don't know. We can only trust God that He knows, and that He knows what is best for us.

thank you

Well say if you are looking, you would then be more willing to take whatever you can get and that won't lead to a fulfilling relationship in the eyes of God.

God revealed who my soulmate is...maybe it was to ease my confusion or maybe just focus my attention on that sister instead of other women.

I agree with your friend as well. When you are happy with your life and you're not concerned about dating someone or not, the right one will come along eventually. If you're constantly looking and waiting for someone to like you, you're missing out on life. Just live your life, and someone will work their way into it. :)

So I was having a discussion with one of my friends tonight about how I’m 20, almost 21, and I’ve never had a girlfriend. I was saying how frustrated I am that there’s no available girls at my church (there haven’t been for years) and how lonely I’ve been feeling because quite literally all of my friends but 1 are in a relationship.

She told me that I need to stop looking and then I’ll find someone. I thought about this for a moment and asked “How do I stop looking?†and she said that I need to be content with life. Maybe that’s the problem, I’m really not. I want to advance my career, I want to move out of my parents house, and I would like to not be a wheel anymore, but shouldn't I really want those things? (well, the first 2 at least)

So what exactly does it mean to stop looking? How do I stop looking? Or have I even been looking? I know that in the current situation I’m in that there is no one for me to pursue, so does to stop looking mean to not want a relationship? Is saying "stop looking" another piece of empty advice people give to singles like "you're such a great guy, I'm surprised no ones taken you yet. you'll find someone eventually"? (if I had a dollar for every time I've heard that, I could get a mail-order bride :tongue )
It means that you knock it off and go on with life. That's what I did. Just could not find anyone and got sick of it. Gave up.

Joined a theater group. Appeared on stage in four shows - suddenly had three ladies calling me and two even finally realized I was not paying attention and asked ME out! (This was strange, could not figure out why they acted like they didn't like one another in my presence... men can be so oblivious!)

So, my advice: Give up! Go on with life. Be yourself.
(But for crying out loud, pay attention so you, unlike me, "get it" when someone comes along who likes you.)

alot of good info for you.. only thing I would add is try not to compare yourself to others. First God has different plans for others, second we don't know if the others are following God's plan or not. I got married for the wrong reasons. I had a complicated past and in light of my past, and hers though this relationship was what God had for me. turned out to be wrong, and she has gone on and got married 2 more times, divorced 2 more times. I've not been married again.. I don't plan on getting a divorce when/if I get married again. I heard about her marriage and though well when is my turn again.. then heard of the divorce.. I began to understand that comparing is wrong because even if for the best reasons, you don't know if they are following God's plan, God might have a different plan for them then you. Don't worry about the relationships others have. Just make sure you are following where God is leading you.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back