Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What Does Jesus Say About A Saved Person Becoming Unsaved ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Not at all , your post does not say anything at all that contradicts my post here.
My post states that merely having "knowledge of the truth" is not what saves a person.
Thats a yes or a no by the way ?
Your post demonstrates your confusion between knowing the truth of what salvation is, and then acting upon that knowledge.
Jesus gave the perfect example of the difference you are missing the boat on when the young rich man asked Jesus for the " full knowledge" of how to be saved .
But after receiving the "full knowledge of the truth" from Jesus own mouth no less, the young man made the choice not to act upon the full knowledge he had been given from jesus and walked away from Jesus unchanged & unsaved

Unchecked Copy Box
Mat 19:16
And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

......But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

As the young man who encountered Jesus clearly demonstrates Having received knowledge of the truth of what is required to save a person is not what saves a person .
It is acting upon the knowledge of the truth.

Can’t lose Grace?

Matt 24:13 he who endures to the end shall be saved.

Mark 13:13
And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Mk 16:16 he who believes and is baptized shall be saved.

Luke 21:19 In your patience possess ye your souls.

Rev 2:26 And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:

Heb 3:14 For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;

Heb 6:11 And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end:

Romans 11:22 – God’s kindness, if you continue in His kindness

Colossians 1:21-23 – holy and blameless, if you continue in the faith"

Colossians 2:5
For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ.

Hebrews 12:22-25: "we shall not escape if we turn away from Him"

Hebrews 4:1-3, 9-12: "strive to enter the rest of God"

Hebrews 6:4-9 – those who became partakers of the holy spirit and fell away

Hebrews 10:23-29, 35-39: "if we sin willfully", "if anyone draws back".

Hebrews 3:4-6: Holding fast our confidence firm until the end

Jn 15:1-5 abide in Christ

John 2:24-25 – "if what you heard from the beginning abides in you"

John 8-9 : to "everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ

Galatians 5:2-4 "Severed from Christ"

Galatians 5:5
For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

2 Timothy 2:11-13: "if we deny him, he will also deny us"

James 5:19-20: the wandered brother

Galatians 5:4
Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

1 Timothy 5:8: "he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever"

1 Corinthians 5:5: "so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord"

1 Thessalonians 3:5
For this cause, when I could no longer forbear, I sent to know your faith, lest by some means the tempter have tempted you, and our labour be in vain.

1 Timothy 2:15
Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety

1 Timothy 4:1
Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

Peter 2: "It would have been better for them never to have known the way of righteousness"

Jude: "Turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness" - a much relevant warning

1 Cor. 9:27 ....Lest I myself might become a castaway

Heb 1:14 shall be heirs of salvation

Romans 1:5
By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name:
(Must remain obedient)

(He who endured to the end) one who dies in a state of grace united to Jesus Christ by faith and baptism!
Mk 16:16 acts 8:36-38 1 pet 3:21
Matt 24:13

Can’t lose your salvation while still in this world:

Acts 1: 18 Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.

19 And it was known unto all the dwellers at Jerusalem; insomuch as that field is called in their proper tongue, Aceldama, that is to say, The field of blood.

Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

Jn 15:1-5 abide

Matt 24:12 endure

For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ.

Hebrews 3:4-6: Holding fast our confidence firm until the end.

A balanced perspective: keep in mind "Those who belong to God hear what God says"
Jesus answered, “I did tell you, but you do not believe. The works I do in my Father’s name testify about me, 26but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. 27My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all c ; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. 30I and the Father are one.”

We know that everyone fathered[c] by God does not sin, but God[d] protects[e] the one he has fathered, and the evil one cannot touch him. 19 We know that we are from God,[f] and the whole world lies in the power of the evil one.

1. [C]1 John 5:18 tn The concept represented by the verb γεννάω (gennaō) here means to be fathered by God and thus a child of God. The imagery in 1 John is that of the male parent who fathers children (see 2:29).
We know that everyone fathered[c] by God does not sin, but God[d] protects[e] the one he has fathered, and the evil one cannot touch him. 19 We know that we are from God,[f] and the whole world lies in the power of the evil one.

In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. 27 And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.
but I have prayed for you, Simon,[a] that your faith may not fail.[b] When[c] you have turned back,[d] strengthen[e] your brothers.

if we are faithless, he remains faithful, for he cannot disown himself

To him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy— 25to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.

Can’t lose Grace?

Matt 24:13 he who endures to the end shall be saved.

Mark 13:13
And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Mk 16:16 he who believes and is baptized shall be saved.

Luke 21:19 In your patience possess ye your souls.

Rev 2:26 And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:

Heb 3:14 For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;

Heb 6:11 And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end:

Hebrews 4:1-3, 9-12: "strive to enter the rest of God"

Hebrews 3:4-6: Holding fast our confidence firm until the end

Jn 15:1-5 abide in Christ

John 2:24-25 – "if what you heard from the beginning abides in you"

John 8-9 : to "everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ

1 Timothy 5:8: "he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever"

1 Corinthians 5:5: "so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord"

1 Thessalonians 3:5
For this cause, when I could no longer forbear, I sent to know your faith, lest by some means the tempter have tempted you, and our labour be in vain.

1 Timothy 2:15
Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety

1 Timothy 4:1
Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

Peter 2: "It would have been better for them never to have known the way of righteousness"

Jude: "Turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness" - a much relevant warning

1 Cor. 9:27 ....Lest I myself might become a castaway

Heb 1:14 shall be heirs of salvation

Romans 1:5
By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name:
(Must remain obedient)

(He who endured to the end) one who dies in a state of grace united to Jesus Christ by faith and baptism!
Mk 16:16 acts 8:36-38 1 pet 3:21
Matt 24:13

Can’t lose your salvation while still in this world:

Acts 1: 18 Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.

19 And it was known unto all the dwellers at Jerusalem; insomuch as that field is called in their proper tongue, Aceldama, that is to say, The field of blood.

Jn 15:1-5 abide

Matt 24:12 endure

Hebrews 3:4-6: Holding fast our confidence firm until the end.

On the matter of grace being something that can be lost, we are in agreement.

Today Jesus Warns against becoming or remaining unsaved.
He also may still be saying to the world's people, variously/groups,
"Unless you all (each) repent , you (sing or pl) (the ones who refuse )will all likewise perish."
Today Jesus Warns against becoming or remaining unsaved.
He also may still be saying to the world's people, variously/groups,
"Unless you all (each) repent , you (sing or pl) (the ones who refuse )will all likewise perish."
How does one get saved? Hummmm

Jesus taught That salvation that comes from God, cannot be lost. Those who suggest salvation cannot be lost, do not understand the teaching of Jesus.

This is a true statement concerning God's elect. Those who endure to the end will be saved. Jesus told us already ,He will lose none.The elect perservere to the end.

same thing, a statement of faith, those elected do endure.

This is a description of believers, believers believe and are baptized

Yes indeed.

Description of the elect.

Descriptive as all the elect do hold it to the end.

Yes, of course he does.

Yes, continuance in the faith, is evidence of the faith.

You like the passages containing the "if". It is not contingent but certain.

Yes, he was encouraged as the elect saints persevered.

There are reprobates who commit apostasy, non elect reprobates.

yes, effort is required in the life of a believer, and shows the Spirit at work in Him.

They gathered with the wheat, but were tares, but a few verses later Paul speaks of the true elect;
But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak.

10For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.

11And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end:

12That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

apostates

Perserverance of the saints

All the verses you list are just like these. Not one teaches a person had salvation and lost it.
Jesus was very clear in all places, He that believes, HAS LIFE ETERNAL.
Only cos we don’t have salvation until we die in Christ

A balanced perspective: keep in mind "Those who belong to God hear what God says"
Jesus answered, “I did tell you, but you do not believe. The works I do in my Father’s name testify about me, 26but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. 27My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all c ; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. 30I and the Father are one.”

1. [C]1 John 5:18 tn The concept represented by the verb γεννάω (gennaō) here means to be fathered by God and thus a child of God. The imagery in 1 John is that of the male parent who fathers children (see 2:29).

In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. 27 And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.
but I have prayed for you, Simon,[a] that your faith may not fail.[b] When[c] you have turned back,[d] strengthen[e] your brothers.

if we are faithless, he remains faithful, for he cannot disown himself

To him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy— 25to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.
Do we have free will to choose to obey and believe and remain faithful? See rev 2:13

Do we have free will to choose to obey and believe and remain faithful? See rev 2:13
I would state our will is involved as is Gods.
Jesus to the Father=>"They were yours you gave them to me"
Jesus=>"All that the Father gives me will come to me" "Its My Fathers will that I lose none that He has given me"

If you believe Jesus is God then why do you think He can't or won't do as His Father wills?

John 6:39
And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day

From my perspective I have believed in and loved the Lord as far back as my memory goes and I have white hair. I know Him and He knows me. The one in me is greater than the one in this world.

I can resonate with "No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God."

I am not one who has to wrestle with the question of "Jesus" as Lord and savior. Neither was John. But many in the world might have that weakness of not knowing for certain. As far as my stance I have been appointed to eternal life and that by God.

Live & walk by the spirit!

Romans 8:13
For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

Romans 8:14
For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Gal 5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

A big “if”?

Matthew 10:38
And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

Matthew 16:24
Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Matthew 16:25
For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

John 12:24
Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; 4)
And patience, experience; and experience, hope:

Romans 8:17
And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

2 Corinthians 12:9
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

2 Thessalonians 1:5
Which is a manifest token of the righteous judgment of God, that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which ye also suffer:

Colossians 1:11
Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;

2 Tim 2:3 Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.

Ex 20 obey the Ten Commandments
Deut. 6:4 obey the two greatest commandments
Matt 28:20 obey christ’s commandments
Acts 1:2 obey christ’s commandments
Jn 15:4 abide in Christ
Mk 13:13 endure to the end
Matt 24:14 endure to the end
1 Jn 2:24-25 abide and continue in Christ
Rom 8:17 suffer with Christ
Rom 11:22 continue or be cut off
Col 1:21-23 if you continue
Col 2-5 steadfast
2 Tim 2:11-13 suffer
Phil 1:29 suffer for Christ’s sake
Heb 3:4-6 if we hold fast
Heb 6:4-9 fall away
Heb 12:22-25 lost if we turn away

We still have free will and can choose (volition) to reject Christ and the faith and renounce our baptism

2 Timothy 2:12
If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

Abide in faith, but not faith alone!

Jn 15:1-4

I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.

2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.

3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.

4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

You can’t say the branches are not saved (process of salvation) or not born again or spirit filled cos they were in Christ and connected to the vine!

The apostolic church is the mystical body of Christ.

A limb that has a cut off from the body dies, life remains with the body!

Serious Sin causes spiritual death and requires repentance before physical death makes the separation permanent. 1 Jn 5:16

Jn 15:6
If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

Matt 25:30
And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Lost not simply “out of fellowship”!

How does one get saved? Hummmm
I asked a catholic speaker that question many years ago.
He did not know the answer - he was stumped.
Surprisingly in the news, m.t. admitted she was not saved before she passed away, and even more surprising, it was published and known.
They did not know that Jesus is willing to save those who love God, who are called according to His Purpose - or they were not called according to His Purpose; they served men instead of God; they worked for something instead of God's Life.

What Does Jesus Say About A Saved Person Becoming Unsaved ?
I am unaware of anything in this regard,
Great question. Let me quote John 6:44 "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day." Follow this with John 10:14 "I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me."

Simply stated, once the Father draws someone to come to Jesus, the matter is sealed and that person is saved and raised on the last day. Christ knows the saved and its under his authority to protect the saved until the resurrection. So, Christ implies that once a person is saved, that person cannot become unsaved.

On the other hand, you have many who are given knowledge of the truth like Judas Iscariot and yet they are not saved in the first place. Satan and his demons can indwell these so-called believers who despite their initial zeal, were never drawn by the Father in the first place to come to Jesus and hence be saved.

Such a supposed ironclad case .
Yet in all the biblical quotes here offered, not a single named person in scripture who Jesus declared has lost their salvation.
Not one.
How can this be explained that Jesus specifically names people as examples in every other facet of obtaining salvation but in the case of such a foundational Christian precept being made null & void with hell being the result , there is not one person Jesus named in all the bible who is clearly said to suffer such a devasting loss ?
Does that sound like the Jesus you know ?
So is it that rare an occurrence that Jesus just had no one person living or dead to name this happening to ?
Why would there be multiple people Jesus specifically named who refused salvation, yet not a single person named by Jesus who lost their salvation ?

Unchecked Copy Box
John 14:2
" ..... I would have told you."

Surprisingly in the news, m.t. admitted she was not saved before she passed away, and even more surprising, it was published and known.
They did not know that Jesus is willing to save those who love God, who are called according to His Purpose - or they were not called according to His Purpose; they served men instead of God; they worked for something instead of God's Life.
Who is MT?

Still waiting for you to tell me how? Please

No one is saved before the hour of death Matt 24:13

Who is MT?

Still waiting for you to tell me how? Please

No one is saved before the hour of death Matt 24:13
I don't believe we do it entirely on our own.
I am convinced otherwise.
2 Timothy
That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet this is no cause for shame, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until that day.
He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace.

I have been appointed by God to eternal life.

You asked a pretty dumb priest.

Yet in all the biblical quotes here offered, not a single named person in scripture who Jesus declared has lost their salvation.
Not one.
How can this be explained that Jesus specifically names people as examples in every other facet of obtaining salvation but in the case of such a foundational Christian precept being made null & void with hell being the result , there is not one person Jesus named in all the bible who is clearly said to suffer such a devasting loss ?
So is it that rare an occurrence that Jesus just had no one person living or dead to name this happening to ?
Why would there be multiple people Jesus specifically named who refused salvation, yet not a single person named by Jesus who lost their salvation ?

Unchecked Copy Box
As salvation won't be assured until one hears their name is in the book of life, it would behoove us to continue in obedience until we quit breathing.

Not one.

Unchecked Copy Box
As salvation won't be assured until one hears their name is in the book of life, it would behoove us to continue in obedience until we quit breathing.
Not according to Jesus .
And for me I will take His Word for it .
Jesus says salvation is Assured the day it happens:

Unchecked Copy Box
Luk 19:9
And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham.

My question stands :

Not one.

Unchecked Copy Box

Not according to Jesus .
And for me I will take His Word for it .
Jesus says salvation is Assured the day it happens:

Unchecked Copy Box
Luk 19:9
And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham.
Had that man fallen away later, He would not gain eternal life.
"He who endures until the end shall be saved" (Matt 10:22)
My question stands :
Not one.
How could He, as judgement won't occur until later ?
Judas Iscariot comes to mind.
Everyone still had time to repent of sin...until they died.

David did not repent for a year until God finally sent Nathan to confront him with his sin .
Why was David's salvation not gone after a week , a month , 10 months of his failure to repent ?

2Sa 12:7
"And Nathan said to David, Thou art the man. Thus saith the LORD God of Israel "

#1 Please show the scripture that says it was a year, before David repented.

# 2 We don't know how long this following process takes -

Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother. But if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.’ And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church. But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector. Matthew 18:15-17

The bible seems to be clear and consistent. When a person sins, they must repent or become lost.

JLB

Not one.

Unchecked Copy Box
Where does Jesus name persons?

Had that man fallen away later, He would not gain eternal life.
"He who endures until the end shall be saved" (Matt 10:22)

Everyone still had time to repent of sin...until they died.
Your understanding then is if the man had fallen out of salvation but had enough time before the end to repent then he would be saved ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back