Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What is divination?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
C

Chris

I am on new ground here. I was reading this in Ezekiel this morning and the lord was pretty cheesed off with prophets practicing divination. i do not know much about the historical times of Ezekiel and cant know it in the context of its writing until i learn more.

I did take look in Wikipedia but it was talking about astrology and stuff like crystal balls. ok I got the pagan perspective now how does this fit with Christianity and the gift of prophecy.

I felt compelled to ask for this spiritual gift prophecey of some sort (it seems recommended in Corinthians) and if It comes i sure dont want to do anything to upset God.

Chris I hope this will help: In a book "understanding the new age" by Russel Chandler, divination is described as: " Methods od discovering the personal, human significance of present or future events. Means to obtain insights may include dreams, hunches, involuntary body actions, mediumistic possessions, consulting the dead, observing the behavior of animal and birds, tossing coins, casting lots and 'reading' natural phenomena."
and again in "the concise guide to todays religions and spirituality" by James K Walker it is defined as: " the attempt to supernaturally gain hidden knowledge, usually about the future, through means seperate from the God of the Bible."

My take on this is that seeking the gift of prophecy for personal sake seperate from the will of God would be seen as divination. If you seek the gift of prophecy to praise God and to further his Kingdom and do his will, it cannot be seen as divination. I also think it would be a good to get a proper understanding of what is meant by prophecy and what it entails. I personally don't see how we can equate ourselves with old testemant prophets.
According to the John Macarthur study Bible, Prophecy is about proclaming what has already been reavealed in the written Word. It is not about proclaiming what is going to happen in the future. ( notes on 1 Corinthians 12 vs 10 )

Chris I hope this will help: In a book "understanding the new age" by Russel Chandler, divination is described as: " Methods od discovering the personal, human significance of present or future events. Means to obtain insights may include dreams, hunches, involuntary body actions, mediumistic possessions, consulting the dead, observing the behavior of animal and birds, tossing coins, casting lots and 'reading' natural phenomena."
and again in "the concise guide to todays religions and spirituality" by James K Walker it is defined as: " the attempt to supernaturally gain hidden knowledge, usually about the future, through means seperate from the God of the Bible."

My take on this is that seeking the gift of prophecy for personal sake seperate from the will of God would be seen as divination. If you seek the gift of prophecy to praise God and to further his Kingdom and do his will, it cannot be seen as divination. I also think it would be a good to get a proper understanding of what is meant by prophecy and what it entails. I personally don't see how we can equate ourselves with old testemant prophets.
According to the John Macarthur study Bible, Prophecy is about proclaming what has already been revealed in the written Word. It is not about proclaiming what is going to happen in the future. ( notes on 1 Corinthians 12 vs 10 )
Spiritual gifts of the holy spirit have only one purpose. They are used for others. they are others focussed.

The gift of evangelism is for non Christians. teaching and wisdom is for other Christians. Tongues may be for a message in church or self edification to build you up for service in the kingdom.

Prophecy may be used to speak over someones life as a confirmation of an already suspected ministry calling or message to turn from sinful ways etc.

That's what i thought it was anyway, just messages from God to give to others.

A prophet came to our church from overseas and a friend met him. That guy told my friend from church all about himself as soon as he met him. According to some things i read this may be divination. But is it wrong if it is holy spirit based?

I am on new ground here. I was reading this in Ezekiel this morning and the lord was pretty cheesed off with prophets practicing divination. i do not know much about the historical times of Ezekiel and cant know it in the context of its writing until i learn more.

I did take look in Wikipedia but it was talking about astrology and stuff like crystal balls. ok I got the pagan perspective now how does this fit with Christianity and the gift of prophecy.

I felt compelled to ask for this spiritual gift prophecey of some sort (it seems recommended in Corinthians) and if It comes i sure dont want to do anything to upset God.
if its of god they person recieving will know as they usually are praying for something and are awaiting an answer or a rebuke is coming.

i have worked in this gift, i dont like doing it but i have done it.

Chris I hope this will help: In a book "understanding t
According to the John Macarthur study Bible, Prophecy is about proclaming what has already been reavealed in the written Word. It is not about proclaiming what is going to happen in the future. ( notes on 1 Corinthians 12 vs 10 )
Its future too.

Acts 11:28
One of them, named Agabus, stood up and through the Spirit predicted that a severe famine would spread over the entire Roman world. (This happened during the reign of Claudius.)

Acts 21:10
<sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV-27675">10</sup> After we had been there a number of days, a prophet named Agabus came down from Judea. <sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV-27676">11</sup> Coming over to us, he took Paul’s belt, tied his own hands and feet with it and said, “The Holy Spirit says, ‘In this way the Jewish leaders in Jerusalem will bind the owner of this belt and will hand him over to the Gentiles.’”
<sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV-27677">12</sup>

Its future too.

Acts 11:28
One of them, named Agabus, stood up and through the Spirit predicted that a severe famine would spread over the entire Roman world. (This happened during the reign of Claudius.)

Acts 21:10
<sup id="en-NIV-27675" class="versenum">10</sup> After we had been there a number of days, a prophet named Agabus came down from Judea. <sup id="en-NIV-27676" class="versenum">11</sup> Coming over to us, he took Paul’s belt, tied his own hands and feet with it and said, “The Holy Spirit says, ‘In this way the Jewish leaders in Jerusalem will bind the owner of this belt and will hand him over to the Gentiles.’”
<sup id="en-NIV-27677" class="versenum">12</sup>

http://www.christianforums.net/f34/just-who-agabus-36205/

Chris: Define what you believe the gift of prophecy to be? (Don't rely on a feeling or a hunch as to what it is, study it carefully). Because your definition will determine what you believe divination to be! Divination is not from God. I do agree that one would not want to involve oneself in this practice.

Chris: Define what you believe the gift of prophecy to be? (Don't rely on a feeling or a hunch as to what it is, study it carefully). Because your definition will determine what you believe divination to be! Divination is not from God. I do agree that one would not want to involve oneself in this practice.
What i need to work out. Ok say you interpret dreams is that a form of divination. I really do not know anything much about this.

I need some good sensible reading, non superstitious christian scare mongering stuff that declares everything demon possessed and doomed. You know non super biased agenda stuff.

I want to know here the boundaries of spiritual gifting is with regard to how far the holy spirit can give a believer knowledge to give to others and how it is sourced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha Ha thats funny christian forums has a a sense of humor.

Ps youneed to use an ad blocker(firefox) there should just be words and lines there.

Anything used to tell the future, speak to the dead, ect. outside of God, using tarot cards, crystal balls, oujia boards, astrology, etc. is divination, there are familiar demon spirits behind them.

The gift of prophecy is to edify the church, to build it up, to give encouragement to individuals. The office of Prophecy is different, they tell the future, like all the major and minor prophets in the OT.

If you read about Balaam, the Bible says he was into divination, although God did use him as a prophet to bless Israel 3x. He was also destroyed when God destroyed all of Balak.

If you want the gift of prophecy, just ask God, He tells us to seek these gifts, and if you are truly seeking Him and His gifts, He isn't going to allow you to practice divination. We have the Holy Spirit to discern the difference.

peace.

Awesome answer rockie thanks that's just what I needed to hear.

Back