Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study What is Grace?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Spockrates said:
I'm guessing light is the wisdom to know and accept the truth. Would you say the giving of this light is also an example of God's grace?

You seem to do a lot of guessing Spockrates wouldn't you rather know the truth instead? :)

tob

Lets think about that. The first part of the chapter says "For God so loved the world" Now that would be grace because they are lost in Adam. Now, the Gospel has gone out, grace, the believers won't perish, grace. Now we have unbelievers who are condemned already, actually because of adamic sin. Now as far as the light, it verifies the judgment because of the effect of light on the works of unbelievers.....So could we call the giving of the light grace? I don't think so. What are your thoughts?

I'm thinking Christ Himself is a gift of grace. If you don't think I'm wrong about this premise, I'll explain why I think wisdom might also be such a gift.

:)

I'm thinking Christ Himself is a gift of grace. If you don't think I'm wrong about this premise, I'll explain why I think wisdom might also be such a gift.

Go for it my friend, I'm very interested in your views. I'm always eager to learn. After 40 years of studying Scriptures and what theologians believe, If I stop, I'll have a bunch of preconceptions. New doctrine, belief's of others are still my thirst.

Go for it my friend, I'm very interested in your views. I'm always eager to learn. After 40 years of studying Scriptures and what theologians believe, If I stop, I'll have a bunch of preconceptions. New doctrine, belief's of others are still my thirst.

Not so sure this is new, but perhaps not often considered. It seems that Jesus teaches He Himself is God's generous gift, which I'm sure you know:

"For God so loved the world that he have his one and only son..."

(John 3:16)

And I suppose this makes sense. For eternal life, as you said, is God's generous gift, and Jesus seems to say He Himself is somehow this eternal life, which God gives:

6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

(John 14)

So since eternal life is a gift, and Jesus is eternal life, then this gift God generously gives us is Christ Himself, and all that He offers to us. Do you agree so far?

Last edited:
Not so sure this is new, but perhaps not often considered. It seems that Jesus teaches He Himself is God's generous gift, which I'm sure you know:

"For God so loved the world that he have his one and only son..."

(John 3:16)

And I suppose this makes sense. For eternal life, as you said, is God's generous gift, and Jesus seems to say He Himself is somehow this eternal life, which God gives:

6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

(John 14)

So since eternal life is a gift, and Jesus is eternal life, then this gift God generously gives us is Christ Himself, and all that He offers to us. Do you agree so far?

Yes, so far. Beyond what happened in Eden, any response that God makes toward His fallen race is a huge gift.

Yes, so far. Beyond what happened in Eden, any response that God makes toward His fallen race is a huge gift.

Yes, I think you must be right.

If grace is any act of God giving generously to us, then giving His Son, and the eternal life that somehow is (or at least accompanies) His Son are examples of what this grace gives. Jesus and everlasting life are what we see when we remove the wrapping paper and look inside the box, I think.

So then, what I next wonder is what else is (or accompanies) this gift of Christ. Is there anything else that He is, which we receive when we accept the gift of Him? Perhaps wisdom?

But to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God.

I guess what Paul is saying is that just as Christ is somehow life, so too he is somehow wisdom. But my opinion is often wrong. Please tell me: What's your opinion of Paul's words, here?

Last edited:
What all of the philosophers were searching for.. more knowledge.. worldly knowledge.. My earlier question about knowing the truth do you want to know the truth.. Put it this way do you want the knowledge Jesus gives or worldly knowledge?

tob

2.4: No Trolling. Do not make an inflammatory remark just to get a response. Address issues not personalities. Respect where people are in their spiritual walk, and respect all others in general. Respect where others are in their spiritual walk,

Let's be kind. This is, after all, a Bible study forum. We are here to study scripture to gain deeper understanding of truth.

GRACE - undeserved, unmerited favor, Gods willingness to give us His power and ability even though we do not deserve it

Jesus came to show us how to overcome the sin nature of the world by teaching us how to live a moral life compatible with the word of God. Jesus gave of himself for all of us and redeemed us from the curse of sin by taking all our sin upon him becoming the final blood sacrifice for his love towards everyone who will believe on his name. When we come to Jesus it is Gods grace that forgives our sins and remembers them no more. Sin will always be present with us because the flesh will always sin for that is its nature, but when we ask Jesus into our hearts we also receive at that same moment the gift of the Holy Spirit which teaches us how to separate ourselves from the ungodliness and lusts of this world. We may have to live in this world, but as a child of God we are not part of this world because our inner man, or heart, has now become renewed in the Spirit of God and is sinless through the grace of God.

Titus 2:11 for the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,

Titus 2:12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

Titus 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Savior Jesus Christ;

Titus 2:14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

Titus 2:15 These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.

Gods strength through his grace is what helps us to face the challenges of the works we are to continue in no matter where his calling leads us or who he puts in our path and whatever tries to come against us. I hear so many say they can not talk to others about Jesus because they do not have enough knowledge of his word and are uncomfortable sharing with others because of this. None of us have full knowledge of Gods word nor will we ever exhaust the word of God, but only can give from our heart for what we do know or have learned. Each of us has a testimony to share and is this not what Jesus did in his travels. It was Jesus testimony of a loving God filled with grace and mercy followed with signs and wonders that drew others to him. We also carry with us those same signs and wonders when we give a starving child a glass of milk or someone on the street a blanket to keep them warm at night. We in all reality are sharing Gods word through these type of works that brings help to others as we see the smiles on their faces when they receive a physical gift from God that for us we would take for granite. No more excuses now.

Our works are that of a humanitarian following in the footsteps of Jesus to know the mind of Christ is to help those who are less fortunate then ourselves by giving them back some dignity to their lives as God supplies their needs through us by the grace he has bestowed upon us through his blessings. When we are out of our comfort zones we need to use that power and authority through grace to go to places we would otherwise be to uncomfortable to travel to or to fearful of our own lives to even think of taking on certain challenges. We need to feed the hungry, clothe the naked and visit those who are in their own prisons as Jesus said we are doing this unto his glory and honor and not of ourselves.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ that strengthens me.

Matthew 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

Matthew 25:35 For I was hungry, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

Matthew 25:36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Matthew 25:37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee hungry, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

Matthew 25:38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

Matthew 25:39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

Matthew 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me

The basics of what we are to do as a child of God is to know that the calling from God is to take his word out into the world and to take His word out with love and compassion in our hearts and the works of the Lord are helping those who need our help. Grace is what saves us and the works we do are done unto the glory of the kingdom of God.

Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Matthew 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

GRACE - undeserved, unmerited favor, Gods willingness to give us His power and ability even though we do not deserve it

Jesus came to show us how to overcome the sin nature of the world by teaching us how to live a moral life compatible with the word of God. Jesus gave of himself for all of us and redeemed us from the curse of sin by taking all our sin upon him becoming the final blood sacrifice for his love towards everyone who will believe on his name. When we come to Jesus it is Gods grace that forgives our sins and remembers them no more. Sin will always be present with us because the flesh will always sin for that is its nature, but when we ask Jesus into our hearts we also receive at that same moment the gift of the Holy Spirit which teaches us how to separate ourselves from the ungodliness and lusts of this world. We may have to live in this world, but as a child of God we are not part of this world because our inner man, or heart, has now become renewed in the Spirit of God and is sinless through the grace of God.

Titus 2:11 for the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,

Titus 2:12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

Titus 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Savior Jesus Christ;

Titus 2:14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

Titus 2:15 These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.

Gods strength through his grace is what helps us to face the challenges of the works we are to continue in no matter where his calling leads us or who he puts in our path and whatever tries to come against us. I hear so many say they can not talk to others about Jesus because they do not have enough knowledge of his word and are uncomfortable sharing with others because of this. None of us have full knowledge of Gods word nor will we ever exhaust the word of God, but only can give from our heart for what we do know or have learned. Each of us has a testimony to share and is this not what Jesus did in his travels. It was Jesus testimony of a loving God filled with grace and mercy followed with signs and wonders that drew others to him. We also carry with us those same signs and wonders when we give a starving child a glass of milk or someone on the street a blanket to keep them warm at night. We in all reality are sharing Gods word through these type of works that brings help to others as we see the smiles on their faces when they receive a physical gift from God that for us we would take for granite. No more excuses now.

Our works are that of a humanitarian following in the footsteps of Jesus to know the mind of Christ is to help those who are less fortunate then ourselves by giving them back some dignity to their lives as God supplies their needs through us by the grace he has bestowed upon us through his blessings. When we are out of our comfort zones we need to use that power and authority through grace to go to places we would otherwise be to uncomfortable to travel to or to fearful of our own lives to even think of taking on certain challenges. We need to feed the hungry, clothe the naked and visit those who are in their own prisons as Jesus said we are doing this unto his glory and honor and not of ourselves.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ that strengthens me.

Matthew 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

Matthew 25:35 For I was hungry, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

Matthew 25:36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Matthew 25:37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee hungry, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

Matthew 25:38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

Matthew 25:39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

Matthew 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me

The basics of what we are to do as a child of God is to know that the calling from God is to take his word out into the world and to take His word out with love and compassion in our hearts and the works of the Lord are helping those who need our help. Grace is what saves us and the works we do are done unto the glory of the kingdom of God.

Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Matthew 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Good teaching Brother.

The word translated "grace" in the new testament comes from the Greek word charis,which means "favor,blessing,or kindness".We can all extend grace to others;but when the word grace is used in connection with God,it takes on a more powerful meaning;Grace is God choosing to bless us rather than curse us as our sins deserves.It is His benevolence to the undeserving.

The word translated "grace" in the new testament comes from the Greek word charis,which means "favor,blessing,or kindness".We can all extend grace to others;but when the word grace is used in connection with God,it takes on a more powerful meaning;Grace is God choosing to bless us rather than curse us as our sins deserves.It is His benevolence to the undeserving.

It;s like the intiative is with Him; He reached out in wondrous, sovereign grace 'even when we were dead in sins' (Ephesians 2).

Blessings.

'All of grace, yes grace surpassing
Such a portion to bestow,
But the love, all knowledge passing,
Grace has taught us now to know.
Love that bore the stripes and sorrow,
Love that suffered on the Tree,
Love that shares the bright tomorrow,
With the loved ones, you and me.'

Blessings.

Donations

Total amount