Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What is the 'work' that may or may not get burned up in 1 Corinthians 3:8-16?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
How about those who are added to the foundation of God's building (Jesus Christ) being the 'silver and gold and precious jewels', and the 'spiritual truths taught by the Spirit' being the tools the other workers used to place them there? Wouldn't that be consistent with scripture?

"19So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God’s household, 20having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone,21in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord, 22in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit." (Ephesians 2:19-22 NASB italics in original, bold)

"4And coming to Him as to a living stone which has been rejected by men, but is choice and precious in the sight of God, 5you also, as living stones, are being built up as a spiritual house for a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ." (1 Peter 1:4-5 NASB bold mine)

"the holy city, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, 11having the glory of God. Her brilliance was like a very costly stone, as a stone of crystal-clear jasper." (Revelation 20:10-11 NASB bold mine)

The precious materials built onto the foundation of Christ and the Apostles and Prophets, able to withstand fire (unlike hay, wood, and stubble), are believers.

Excellent parallel verse. I will add this to my learning.

And may I add this:

" 11You have conceived chaff, you will give birth to stubble;
My breath will consume you like a fire.

12The peoples will be burned to lime,
Like cut thorns which are burned in the fire."
(Isaiah 33:11-12 NASB)

It's clear that those in the kingdom who are false, being only made up of hay, wood, and stubble, will be burned away in the Judgment because they are made of that which will not be able to withstand the coming fires of Judgment when the kingdom is purged of everything false and perishable.

We as workers in the building of God should be careful how we build so that who we build onto the household of God are real and will be able to withstand the coming Judgment and not be purged away by fire. If we do that they will be our reward in heaven over whom we will rejoice, and they over us:
"we are your reason to be proud as you also are ours, in the day of our Lord Jesus.(2 Corinthians 1:14 NASB).

But if who we minister to doesn't make it through the fire at the end, who will be there for us to exult in?
"19For who is our hope or joy or crown of exultation? Is it not even you, in the presence of our Lord Jesus at His coming? 20For you are our glory and joy." (1 Thessalonians 2:19-20 NASB)

So, let's be careful how we build folks, so we won't lose our reward at the Judgment. We ourselves will be saved, but we will have nothing to show for our labor in the kingdom and will have run our race in vain because they did not make it: "14Do all things without grumbling or disputing; 15so that you will prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear as lights in the world, 16holding fast the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I will have reason to glory because I did not run in vain nor toil in vain." (Philippians 2:14-16 NASB).

What Paul is talking about is the foundation of the inner house, the house of the inner man; the building that the inner man builds, that being Christ in spirit; the house that can not be seen yet. We know that because he uses the language of the proverbs, gold and silver and precious stones to represent knowledge and understanding and wisdom. He is talking about the building that is spirit, the building not built with hands.
2 Corinthians 5:1
For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

No one has gotten to the construction of the Tabernacle yet?

In Exodus....usually stuff most skip over.

(1 Corinthians 3:8-16 NASB)

Let's take this puppy apart and discern what each builder's work is that Paul says may or may not get burned up

How did I know that this would very quickly turn into 'study' of other Texts??? (rhetorical question)
Whatever it meant to the Corinthians, it rightly should mean the same thing to us.

I will ask you the same question I asked JLB twice but he didn't come through with it. Please post the 1 Cor verse that says the people's work (that's getting the fire treatment) is other people?

Jethro Bodine said:
What is the fire that will test the quality of each man's work on the building, and what is the 'day' that reveals the outcome of the testing by fire?
The fire is metaphorical and may speak of Christ's eyes as a flaming fire which penetrate to the heart and soul of every deed done by the Christian in his earthly life. But it is only *wood*, *hay*, and *stubble* which will be burned up. Whatever is done for self-gratification, and for the lusts of the flesh, the eyes, and the pride of life will be burned up.

Whatever is done for Christ and for others with the right motive will be *gold*, *silver*, and *precious stones*, which will come through unscathed by the fire of Christ's judgment. The *Day* is the day of judgment for Christians at the Judgment Seat of Christ in Heaven.
Good explanation! I view the works being burned up as any and all effort from human means, not divine means. The work that will be rewarded are the works done in the power of the Holy Spirit when one is being "filled with the Spirit" (Eph 5:18) and "walking by means of the Holy Spirit" (Gal 5:16).

Those who grieve (Eph 4:30) or quench (1 Thess 5:19) the Spirit when doing works will see their works being burned up on That Day.

However, from all the posts in the currently closed thread on ES vs LOS, by those who believe that salvation can be lost, LOS doctrine seems to have no room in its theology for fellowship with the Holy Spirit.

Which probably explains LOS doctrine's view that works = people in 1 Cor 3:14,15.

Soylent Green is food.
Soylent Green is people, who are food.
Soylent Green is food made from people, by people, for people.

People work to make Soylent Green out of people, for people.
The work is the people, and the work is for people.
The work is food.JLB
So, trying to make (prove?) a point by citing a fictitious science FICTION movie??

In the Bible, when "work" is mentioned, it always refers to the work done by people. Just saying that 1 Cor 3:14,15 is about people, yet without any kind of evidence or support from Scripture, is only an opinion.

We all have opinions about many things, but when it comes to the Bible, the ONLY guide is what Scripture says, and how Scripture defines itself.

No different than Paul writing that God's gifts are irrevocable in Rom 11:29, and previous to that within the context of that epistle described 3 different gifts of God. Paul already defined what he was thinking about regarding "God's gifts" when he wrote 11:29. So we let Scripture define Scripture.

And no where does Scripture define "works" as "people". Works are done BY people, but works aren't people.

How did I know that this would very quickly turn into 'study' of other Texts??? (rhetorical question)
Whatever it meant to the Corinthians, it rightly should mean the same thing to us.

I will ask you the same question I asked JLB twice but he didn't come through with it. Please post the 1 Cor verse that says the people's work (that's getting the fire treatment) is other people?

I posted it plainly, but you simply ignored the truth the scriptures teach.

Paul describes the work he is working on, and establishes a context as to what the work is.

9 For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, you are God’s building. 10 According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation, and another builds on it. But let each one take heed how he builds on it. 11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.12 Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13 each one’s work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one’s work, of what sort it is. 14 If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

16 Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 17 If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are. 1 Corinthians 3:9-17

...you are God’s building.

If anyone’s work is burned...

The work [building project,] is the building [Temple] of God.
The work is what the builders build.
They build on the work with building materials... gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw,

The doctrine of Christ... These sayings of mine, His word, is what is to be used to build people into a holy temple after the image and likeness of Christ.

“Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock: Matthew 7:24

The foundation flaw in the OSAS doctrine is, they teach, that to do [believe/obey] what Christ said, and said through His Apostles, is equal to "works" than earn, or "works" of the law.

Those who obey righteousness - Eternal Life
Those who obey unrighteousness - The wrath of God.

eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality;
but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath, Romans 2:7-8

JLB

Last edited:
Here:
"Are you not my work in the Lord?" (i Corinthians 9:1 NASB)

Now, with that fact established, let's read the passage again:

"the fire itself will test the quality of each man’s work. 14If any man’s work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. 15If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire." (1 Corinthians 3:13-15 NASB)

I agree.
Just as the Corinthians themselves were Paul's 'work' that would be tested by fire and for which he may or may not receive a reward, so it is that the people we minister to also may or may not be our reward on the Day of Judgment in whom we will exult. It depends on if they listen to what we say, apply it, and become that which can withstand the fires of the coming Judgment of all of mankind.

"12So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling; 13for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.

14Do all things without grumbling or disputing; 15so that you will prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear as lights in the world, 16holding fast the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I will have reason to glory because I did not run in vain nor toil in vain." (Philippians 2:14-16 NASB)

The Bible is it's best interpreter....especially when it comes to metaphors. I have discovered that perhaps the biggest mistake false doctrines make is it doesn't consider the WHOLE counsel of scripture but leaves out important pieces of the puzzle of scripture. The incomplete and erroneous picture those false doctrines create as the result of doing that can cause people to be burned up at the Judgment because it did not build them up into imperishable material that can withstand the cleansing fire at the final Judgment.

Last edited:
Do you recall who Oholiab and Bezelial where? (forgive the spelling)

Yes, Bezalel.

Filled with the Spirit of God, in wisdom to build the tabernacle with costly stones and precious things.

Then the Lord spoke to Moses, saying: 2 “See, I have called by name Bezalel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah. 3 And I have filled him with the Spirit of God, in wisdom, in understanding, in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship, 4 to design artistic works, to work in gold, in silver, in bronze, 5 in cutting jewels for setting, in carving wood, and to work in all manner of workmanship. Exodus 31:1-5

Maybe it's in one of the other Torah books. Construction sites are horrible for my memory.

But if memory serves me right. Silver (kesep meaning sought after) were used in big slabs to hold the pillars of the Tabernacle up and become a base for them to stand upon. In this instance (and a few others) silver was used as a metaphor for the redeemed souls...

Silver refining was a process that involved lead and salt (referring to zeal) and a lot of heat.

It's been too long since I've looked at this stuff and my brain leaks.

I don't think so.
I think WE are God's building based on:
Eph 2:19-22 (RSV) So then you are no longer strangers and sojourners, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, in whom the whole structure is joined together and grows into a holy temple in the Lord; in whom you also are built into it for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.

We are God's temple because Jesus was God's temple.

Jesus said destroy this temple, meaning his body, and in three days I will raise it up. John 2:18-22

If Jesus wasn't the temple of God, then neither are we.

The building is our faith in Christ and the continued works here on earth.

The foundation is Christ who loves us and gave His life for us.

Who laid it in Corinth was Paul who was Gods labourer of the harvest

Who is building on it are we who are co-laborers in the continued works of Christ

What is the fire that will test the quality of each mans work is that of the Holy Spirit that reveals what rewards we will receive whether they be rewards here on earth that are temporary or rewards that are stored up in heaven as when Christ returns He brings with Him our rewards that are stored up in heaven.

The works of the Lord we are to continue in is that of what is written in Matthew 25:35-40 as we do these things for other people as doing these works unto the Lord to show a witness and testify of His name.

How about those who are added to the foundation of God's building (Jesus Christ) being the 'silver and gold and precious jewels', and the 'spiritual truths taught by the Spirit' being the tools the other workers used to place them there? Wouldn't that be consistent with scripture?

No. Because he says he laid the foundation, and another man is building on it. The foundation is spiritual, so it can't mean people. So what is built on the foundation has to be spiritual truth. Our work is what we are doing. We are building on the foundation. The posts we are writing are our work. And the fire of God's word will reveal what sort of work each man has done. 1 Cor. 3:13 RSV

We are God's temple because Jesus was God's temple.
No. Jesus was, is and will always be, God, not just God's temple, God HImself.
A temple is the "building" where God dwells. We are that temple because the fullness of Deity dwells within us.
And, like "Prince Albert in a can," we should let Him out more. :)

So Paul is imparting spiritual wisdom to those who possess the Spirit. But the unspiritual man does not receive the gifts of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him.

1 Corinthians 2:14
The unspiritual man does not receive the gifts of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.

Sorry Jim, you're wrong. You don't understand, He was in the Father and the Father was in Him.
John 10:38
but if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father.” And the Father is the true God, which makes Jesus the temple of the living God.

Last edited:
the fire of God's word will reveal what sort of work each man has done.

The work that Paul refers to is people.

Am I not an apostle? Am I not free? Have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? Are you not my work in the Lord?
1 Corinthians 9:1

4 Coming to Him as to a living stone, rejected indeed by men, but chosen by God and precious, 5 you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
1 Peter 2:4

19 Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, 20 having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone, 21 in whom the whole building, being fitted together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord, 22 in whom you also are being built together for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit. Ephesians 2:19-22

JLB

The work that Paul refers to is people.

Am I not an apostle? Am I not free? Have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? Are you not my work in the Lord?
1 Corinthians 9:1

4 Coming to Him as to a living stone, rejected indeed by men, but chosen by God and precious, 5 you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
1 Peter 2:4

19 Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, 20 having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone, 21 in whom the whole building, being fitted together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord, 22 in whom you also are being built together for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit. Ephesians 2:19-22

JLB
JLB

Am trying to follow along - but it's moving quickly and time is short.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned Philippians 1:6
regarding the work being persons.

Please clarify the following:
In 1 Corinthians 3:14-15
WHAT is being burned up?
Is it the rewards?
Is it incorrect doctrine that was being taught?

Wondering

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back