Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What keeps people from believing in Jesus?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
D

Dave Slayer

What keeps people from believing in Jesus? Why would people want to say no to eternal life?

Well it kind of goes along with your second question. No one is saying no to eternal life. They just have no real reason to say yes to it and if they did they would be lying to themselves and to God. Which brings us to Pascal's Wager.

And no real evidence of his miracles and the plethora of other "gods" buried in the mass grave of mythology are one or two reasons :/

And I'm not saying he wasn't an awesome guy for the record. I'm one of his biggest fans.

animal said:
Well it kind of goes along with your second question. No one is saying no to eternal life. They just have no real reason to say yes to it and if they did they would be lying to themselves and to God. Which brings us to Pascal's Wager.

Oh okay. Thanks for explaining. I just cannot understand why anyone wouldn't want to say yes to eternal life. I mean, who wants to go to their grave and just lie there dead forever or run the risk of hell being real? I don't know about anyone else, but I want to love forever so I can torment everyone forever with my silliness. :lol

;)

Seriously though, why play Russian Roulette with the afterlife?

haha well I'm sure we would all love an eternal life of your threads..

But I'd also like to be able to fly :shrug

What keeps people from believing in Jesus? Why would people want to say no to eternal life?

I've often wondered this myself. My sister's husband is an atheist and he has said before that if he were to believe in God, he would have to believe in heaven and hell. If he believed in Christianity's teachings, he would have to believe that his beloved grandmother (also an atheist) didn't go to heaven. I don't think he wants to imagine a heaven without his grandma. I can understand where he's coming from, so I try to pray for him.

JoJo said:

I've often wondered this myself. My sister's husband is an atheist and he has said before that if he were to believe in God, he would have to believe in heaven and hell. If he believed in Christianity's teachings, he would have to believe that his beloved grandmother (also an atheist) didn't go to heaven. I don't think he wants to imagine a heaven without his grandma. I can understand where he's coming from, so I try to pray for him.

Sometimes praying is the best thing we can do. We can plant seeds, but it is up to God to water them and have them grow.

Dave Slayer said:

Easy! People who call themselves christians are the reason other people won't become christians.

They see these so-called christians doing all kinds of atrocities!!

If we want more people to become christians, we must act more like christians are supposed to and adhere to the word of God.

GojuBrian said:
Dave Slayer said:

Easy! People who call themselves christians are the reason other people won't become christians.

They see these so-called christians doing all kinds of atrocities!!

If we want more people to become christians, we must act more like christians are supposed to and adhere to the word of God.

I don't know if that is the total reason but I agree, we need to start acting like Christians and less like the world. :amen

We have a motorcycle rally once a year here called 'Bikes,Blues,and BBQ', we went with a video camera and asked people at the rally this very question. The frequent answer was, "people that say they're christians, but don't act like it." Very telling, and sad.

I can speak for myself. I struggled with my faith for 20 years until 2 weeks ago. My father died when I was 16 and I blamed God for taking him out of my life and some of the horrible things that happened as a consequence of his death. That led me to have more agnostic views of God and shook my faith to its core. I wasn't old or mature enough to be able to separate this event from my faith and understand that everything happens for a reason.

So, a short answer to your question would be that people sometime do not accept Jesus and God due to specific moments of trial and tribulation in their lives.

Most non-Christians still don't realize that God will put up with just about anything. ;) He just wants us to accept Him as God. He just wants to make friends! :gah

Or maybe non-Christians have a deep respect for a calling and standard that they know they cannot meet. Maybe they realize the cost of following Christ is to give all. At least until they learn otherwise in church!!! :)

:shame

I can speak for myself. I struggled with my faith for 20 years until 2 weeks ago. My father died when I was 16 and I blamed God for taking him out of my life and some of the horrible things that happened as a consequence of his death. That led me to have more agnostic views of God and shook my faith to its core. I wasn't old or mature enough to be able to separate this event from my faith and understand that everything happens for a reason.

So, a short answer to your question would be that people sometime do not accept Jesus and God due to specific moments of trial and tribulation in their lives.

This is true. And I think it's also true that some Christians do give Christianity a bad name.

There's also the hurdle of thoughtful intellect. Some people are torn between "logic/reasoning" and "faith" and can't quite find a way to marry the two.

JoJo said:

This is true. And I think it's also true that some Christians do give Christianity a bad name.

There's also the hurdle of thoughtful intellect. Some people are torn between "logic/reasoning" and "faith" and can't quite find a way to marry the two.

Great point on your last sentence there. I also had a rough time squaring that. It took some powerful experiences in my life and at places of worship over the last 6 months to bring me to God and allow my logic and my belief in God to coexist. Personally, I still am challenged with many things that are stated in the bible and what I have believed in the past and in some cases still believe.

At the end of the day, I feel that once you accept Christ and begin to live through and by him the rest are details that we can figure out along the way and our journey. I don't think anyone can be a "perfect" Christian but we can strive to be and admit when we have challenges with Scripture or other areas of our spirituality.

Just speaking for myself of course.

Dave Slayer said:
Ignorance about who and what God IS and ...who and what God IS NOT!

Dave Slayer said:
Lack of evidence. How many people are there who wouldn't want to say no to eternal life, and therefore would turn to God if they knew for certain, but simply don't know for certain that God exists, and therefore don't become christians? I may be wrong of course, God knows the answer to that question better than me, but I'd have thought there were loads of people in that position.
I don't understand why a God of love and justice would punish people just for not knowing for certain and choosing not to believe. And if God really loves us that much, I don't understand why he doesn't want to let us KNOW that!

Adullam said:
Most non-Christians still don't realize that God will put up with just about anything. ;) :shame

I hope you don't mean that God will tolerate sin in the life of a Christian, because He will not. He says to us to just "Come unto me, and I will give you rest." However, He also expects change in us to become a "vessel fit for the Master's use."

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back