Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What kind of Bible do you use?"

• Thread starter Nocturnal_Principal_X
  • Start date

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I pretty much just use the NIV. It's the first translation that was given to me after a housefire back about ten years ago. I've gotten rather used to it, I suppose. I also own a couple of NKJV and a NRSV, which seems very similar to the NIV.

Would you believe that I do not own a KJV? Hopefully I will be able to get one someday. I love reading the wording of it, even if it is more difficult to understand.

Anyway, I guess my answer to the posted question is NIV.

Love in Christ,

CLY

I use (though this list is not exhaustive of the occasional translations I use for comparisons...)

RSV-CE (Revised Standard Version-Catholic Edition)
NAB (New American Bible)
Douay-Rheims
King James Version (w/ Apocyrpha)
... and I use the Navarre Bible (includes commentary and a translation of the Vulgate as well as the Latin)
... and I also have a Hebrew Old Testament and Greek New Testament that I use (usually through e-sword, since it's pretty convenient)

I prefer using New Century Version Bible. I understand it and I know the Holy Spirit is speaking through the pages to me. I used to use a New King James Version but I didn't get anything out of it because I didn't understand it but I understand NCV more clearly and I also understand New Living Translation. I love both versions and they are my favorite ones.

May I recommend that in the future you give the ESV a try. It is more reader friendly than the NASB and it is more literal to the greek than the NLV or NCV.

I mainly use NIV, but I do also use the ESV. I was brought up with those two and I find them easier to read than say the KJV.

I might start giving the NKJV a go. :shrug

I really enjoy reading the Message for fun, certainly not for study. I use either the TNIV or the NRSV for study (which is currently a Master of Theology).

Wouldn't touch the KJV with a barge-pole...but that's a conversation for another thread.

makingwisethesimple said:
I really enjoy reading the Message for fun, certainly not for study.
Rightly or wrongly, I admit that I do get entertained by the Message's wording. It just seems so....out of place.

After reading this thread, I'm planning on switching from NIV to either NASB or ESV.

(Sorry that I'm not "college age", but I figured that I couldn't hurt much by making one post)

JeffShott said:
Nick said:
JeffShott said:
After reading this thread, I'm planning on switching from NIV to either NASB or ESV.
How come?

The NIV gets a lot of heat, and the NASB and ESV versions have been suggested in the thread.
It is interesting to see that the NIV gets a lot of heat, considering it has been translated directly from the original Hebrew and Greek texts.

Nick said:
It is interesting to see that the NIV gets a lot of heat, considering it has been translated directly from the original Hebrew and Greek texts.

To be fair we don't actually have the original greek or hebrew texts. What we have are scribal copies that are as accurate as we could possibly be...and even then we don't have all the texts, bits have to be pieced together and other bits estimated (given the logic of the writing, style, etc).

However, the NIV is a good translation. A criticism might be that its focus is in translating the ideas and concepts rather than necessarily the exact words. And this is only a criticism if you seriously have a problem with that.

It isn't an infallible translation of the Bible of course - we will never get that. But it suffices. Like i said, i use the TNIV (reworked the language a bit) and the NRSV (a more literal translation) for my general use.

I'm partial to the NKJV. I'm trying to make the transition to the NASB but like the sound of the NKJV more. The next Bible I buy, however, will be an ESV because it is a literal translation (from people I trust) that has the poetic sound like the NKJV.

My favorite is the English Standard Version, and I also like The Message if I want to see it worded differently. NIV is also a good, balanced translation.

The "New American Standard Bible" is my favorite translation.
Plus the corporation (The Lockman Foundation) that put together the "NASB" is located in my hometown, "La Habra, California"
Look it up in your "NASB"
My second favorite translation though would have to be the "New King James".
:study

The "New American Standard" is my favorite Bible translation.
Plus the corporation (The Lockman Foundation) who put together the "NASB"
are located in my home town La Habra, California.
It's kinda cool that every "NASB" has my city printed in it :thumb
My second favorite translation though would have to be the "New King James"
:study

NASB95 was my first Bible, so I am partial to it.

I also use the NLT, I actually have two NLT Bibles. One has standard thickness pages, so I take all my notes in this Bible, and the other is a study Bible, the uh, Life Application Study Bible, I think.

I got a Hebrew/English OT and a Greek/English NT, which is really useful when I am studying and I really like the Amp./KJV bible, but I don't own it... Well, I don't own the agree and Hebrew split Bible either,

I want to get a Geneva Bible, since this is the one the Pilgrim's used.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back